PDA

View Full Version : Essendon assistant coach Dean Wallis banned for 14 matches for betting on games

bornadog
08-09-2011, 02:54 PM
Story here (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/essendon-assistant-coach-dean-wallis-banned-for-14-matches-for-betting-on-games/story-e6frf9jf-1226132231535)

What a fool.

LostDoggy
08-09-2011, 03:05 PM
Why have Essendon escaped any penalties? Big deal they lose an assistant coach.

The Coon Dog
08-09-2011, 03:32 PM
Why have Essendon escaped any penalties? Big deal they lose an assistant coach.

Probably for the same reason we didn't when one of our board members did it a few years ago.

bornadog
08-09-2011, 03:38 PM
Probably for the same reason we didn't when one of our board members did it a few years ago.

I thought we copped a $7,500 fine, or did he have to pay that?

Mantis
08-09-2011, 04:26 PM
Why have Essendon escaped any penalties?

For the same reason Collingwood escaped penailties over the Shaw & Maxwell incidents.

Remi Moses
08-09-2011, 06:05 PM
Incredibly stupid!
You'd think with countless gallops, trots, Dogs all around the globe he'd choose something else to wage a bet on.

LostDoggy
08-09-2011, 06:35 PM
Fair enough on the club not copping it. I'm just a bit confused on the consistency. 14 match penalty means nothing to a coach. It's not lIke he can't earn money elsewhere.

I understand that it was 3 different bets but none where he had inside info. If that's true then why the same penalty as Shaw who knew O'Brien was starting forward.

Scraggers
08-09-2011, 06:54 PM
The funny side of this (if you can call it funny) is the fact that Grant Thomas said on Footy Classified that he didn't know why Wallis had placed the bet for his friend, but he knew one thing; he knew the AFL would get the full truth because Wallis was a very honest man with great integrity ... He'll never lie :rolleyes:

bornadog
08-09-2011, 09:31 PM
Fair enough on the club not copping it. I'm just a bit confused on the consistency. 14 match penalty means nothing to a coach. It's not lIke he can't earn money elsewhere.

I understand that it was 3 different bets but none where he had inside info. If that's true then why the same penalty as Shaw who knew O'Brien was starting forward.

Don't forget Shaw had 6 suspended, which was a joke, but then again he would have missed the finals and we can't have that , can we.:rolleyes:

Topdog
09-09-2011, 01:05 AM

He is going to remain at Essendon in an admin role which I find astonishing. Should be sacked and registration as a coach removed.

Ghost Dog
09-09-2011, 04:35 AM
He is going to remain at Essendon in an admin role which I find astonishing. Should be sacked and registration as a coach removed.

Disagree I guess. Being dragged in front of media, 7500 fine seems like a pretty fair punishment for 3 small-ish bets.
Still, not quite enough. would like anyone caught betting to have to participate in some sort of anti gambling community work for as long as they wish to remain in the system.

Dipper said the word " abo" and was made to tour the country on an "enlightenment " tour.
these guys should have to spend some time talking to people who have lost everything on pokies or whatever, doing something to help them,

Topdog
09-09-2011, 05:20 AM
He bet on an Essendon game. Seriously, that is the height of stupidity and worthy of de-registration.

GVGjr
09-09-2011, 05:55 AM

He also made two incorrect statements that he had to rectify so yes I think he has been very lucky. The penalty as handed down was substantial but Essendon have essentially diluted it by giving him an admin job when they should have taken the lead on the issue.
As a club, they don't seem to insist on honesty being an important quality in their employees.

Hird flat out lied about his coaching ambitions throughout 2010 and just kept chipping away at Matthew Knights. Thompson lied about his intentions for wanting to leave the Cats and now Wallis lied about betting on games. It comes pretty easy to some clubs doesn't it?

Flamethrower
09-09-2011, 08:07 AM
Wallis should be banned for life.

He bet on Essendon games in which he was coaching on 3 occasions, and then lied about it when he was caught.

JohnGentStand
09-09-2011, 07:49 PM
I think it's fantastic that the bombres employ coaches of such herculean mental prowess..... A better punishment would be to demand they offer him a new 5 year contract.

westdog54
09-09-2011, 08:57 PM
It truly is staggering that this took place. How Wallis thought that he would possibly get away with this given the coverage the gambling issue has had, well quite frankly its got me stuffed.

Remi made a great point. Surely he could have found something else to have a bet on. Not only could he not find another sport, but a game that he was coaching in?

The height of stupidity.

EasternWest
10-09-2011, 12:00 AM

Disagree I guess. Being dragged in front of media, 7500 fine seems like a pretty fair punishment for 3 small-ish bets.

What gets me about this, and I know the problem is proof, but there's just no way in my mind that this is the first time he's done it. No way. And I doubt he's alone either.

They can only punish what they can prove, but does anyone really, truly believe that these "three smallish bets" are the only ones he's ever made?

westdog54
10-09-2011, 01:14 PM
What gets me about this, and I know the problem is proof, but there's just no way in my mind that this is the first time he's done it. No way. And I doubt he's alone either.

They can only punish what they can prove, but does anyone really, truly believe that these "three smallish bets" are the only ones he's ever made?

The only way to truly prove it is if he used a TAB Account. And if he did, the AFL's arrangement with the bookies means that the betting accounts of any player/coach/official are open to the AFL.

Topdog
10-09-2011, 02:25 PM

He bet on his own team. Should be banned for at least a year and preferably for life.