PDA

View Full Version : Jack Gunston

Rocco Jones
12-09-2011, 08:11 PM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/adelaide-strips-award-from-reluctant-jack-gunston/story-e6frf9jf-1226134312735

I know we have a couple of threads on trades but Gunston is absolutely gone (and what is there really to talk about?).

Any interest?

LostDoggy
12-09-2011, 08:33 PM
I am but its just so I can call him Norman.

Go_Dogs
12-09-2011, 08:36 PM
Likely to be plenty of interest and a premium paid. He looks a promising player, so if the price was right I'd certainly be having a look.

Throughandthrough
12-09-2011, 09:00 PM
I am but its just so I can call him Norman.

And you would be the first ever.

Sedat
12-09-2011, 10:03 PM
No interest from me. We have far more pressing needs to address than a mark and kick type up forward. And whoever gets him will be paying overs.

I'd rather we continue to invest more time into Panos.

stefoid
12-09-2011, 11:01 PM
According to the age, we are interested, as is Hawthorn and North. Our lowly position on the ladder puts us in the box seat.

Its the kind of opportunistic trade where you can get value - uncontracted and request to be traded ties one hand behind the crows back.

For a second rounder in this draft, yeah, why not.

For a first rounder - depends - can we get a good ball using midfielder with our first pick? If so, do that instead.

Edit - looks like its down to whoever is most desperate between North and the Hawks, according to the paper, so we arent using our first rounder on him. Unless North is desperate enough to use pick 18, the hawks very late first rounder could do the job.

Remi Moses
12-09-2011, 11:20 PM
Not sure about the Little Aussie Bleeder.
What do our Adelaideons think?

anfo27
12-09-2011, 11:21 PM
According to the age, we are interested, as is Hawthorn and North. Our lowly position on the ladder puts us in the box seat.

Its the kind of opportunistic trade where you can get value - uncontracted and request to be traded ties one hand behind the crows back.

For a first rounder - depends - can we get a good ball using midfielder with our first pick? If so, do that instead.

Edit - looks like its down to whoever is most desperate between North and the Hawks, according to the paper, so we arent using our first rounder on him. Unless North is desperate enough to use pick 18, the hawks very late first rounder could do the job.

Not sure why the hawks are interested and why he would be interested in going there unless he was keen in playing for Box Hill. He is not going to get a game for the hawks as a marking forward in that forward line and the hawks first priority should be a big defender. Maybe they will use Roughie back there next year.

stefoid
12-09-2011, 11:28 PM
Not sure why the hawks are interested and why he would be interested in going there unless he was keen in playing for Box Hill. He is not going to get a game for the hawks as a marking forward in that forward line and the hawks first priority should be a big defender. Maybe they will use Roughie back there next year.

Dunno, thats just what the papers said. They were liking Roughhead as a ruckman before he went down.

Someone also said the hawks had a f/s that might go around their first pick, if some other clubs force their hand.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-09-2011, 12:19 AM
No idea how he plays, but I wouldn't trade our first pick for him purely on a needs based level. We really need to use our first pick on a fast mid or a KPD.

chef
13-09-2011, 08:26 AM
Dunno, thats just what the papers said. They were liking Roughhead as a ruckman before he went down.

Someone also said the hawks had a f/s that might go around their first pick, if some other clubs force their hand.

Would that be Curran, who is also a tall forward.

chef
13-09-2011, 08:28 AM
Howard for Gunston, if Howard was interested in going home.

I would prefer us to go after Lisle though(or Griffiths from Richmond).

chef
13-09-2011, 09:18 AM
Crows 'dumbfounded' by Gunston
'Adelaide hasn't given up hope of retaining the 193cm forward, but it's more likely the club will have to agree to a trade, with Hawthorn, North Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs all showing interest in the second-year Crow.'

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/123285/default.aspx

LostDoggy
13-09-2011, 09:57 AM
There is no way this bloke warrants a first round pick. Second at best

stefoid
13-09-2011, 09:58 AM
Howard for Gunston, if Howard was interested in going home.

I would prefer us to go after Lisle though(or Griffiths from Richmond).

Chef, you need to spell Wards name with the english pound symbol.

Dont you think the team needs players like howard more than it needs players like Gunston? Or you mean if Howard fronted up and said "I demand to be traded to SA?"

Desipura
13-09-2011, 09:58 AM
According to the age, we are interested, as is Hawthorn and North. Our lowly position on the ladder puts us in the box seat.Its the kind of opportunistic trade where you can get value - uncontracted and request to be traded ties one hand behind the crows back.

We are in the box seat with our low finish to get him unless someone pays overs for him.

Desipura
13-09-2011, 10:00 AM
No interest from me. We have far more pressing needs to address than a mark and kick type up forward. And whoever gets him will be paying overs.

I'd rather we continue to invest more time into Panos.
What if he can play back? Or we can play Grant on a wing to address our lack of speed in the middle and play Gunston up forward.
From the little I have seen of him, he looks a likely type.

stefoid
13-09-2011, 10:02 AM
He is a 192cm third tall according to the crows board - just saying what I heard.

bornadog
13-09-2011, 10:20 AM
He is a 192cm third tall according to the crows board - just saying what I heard.

still only 19 years old

Mofra
13-09-2011, 10:45 AM
We already have a bunch of players that are "third talls" unfortunately.
I'm interested but I think Adelaide will demand overs for him and we shouldn;t pay too much - if he is serious about senior AFL time, he's more likely to get a game for us than at North or the Hawks.

Mantis
13-09-2011, 11:10 AM
We already have a bunch of players that are "third talls" unfortunately.
I'm interested but I think Adelaide will demand overs for him and we shouldn;t pay too much - if he is serious about senior AFL time, he's more likely to get a game for us than at North or the Hawks.

He would walk into North's forwardline.

BulldogBelle
13-09-2011, 11:15 AM
What if he can play back? Or we can play Grant on a wing to address our lack of speed in the middle and play Gunston up forward.
From the little I have seen of him, he looks a likely type.

Grant on the wing?

For 1 quarter per game maybe - he doesnt currently have the tank to get > 10 touches even on a flank.

I dont see where all of this talk of trading Howard has come from - he isnt being asked to be traded, and we will start to see the fruits of our labour with him in 2012.

2nd rounder for Gunston only. Dont see the point in us paying overs for him.

Offer him a contract with a juicy incentive for x number of match payments, and get him to nominate that he wants to be traded to the Dogs. If he doesnt play, he doesnt get paid much.

James Fantasia - get in his ear and his managers ear!!!

LostDoggy
13-09-2011, 11:27 AM
I bet this is where our ward compo pick will go.

Mantis
13-09-2011, 11:32 AM
I bet this is where our ward compo pick will go.

Which would be a *!*!*!*!ing waste as it doesn't address our needs.

We need defenders (tall & tallish) and quick midfielders, not '3rd tall' forwards.

strebla
13-09-2011, 11:46 AM

We need defenders (tall & tallish) and quick midfielders, not '3rd tall' forwards.

Absolutely spot on!!!!

bulldogsman
13-09-2011, 11:55 AM

Gunston can play as a 3rd tall defender just fine.

Mofra
13-09-2011, 12:04 PM
Gunston can play as a 3rd tall defender just fine.
Ben Casley has been cut from the GWS rookie list - I'd rather punt on him as a 3rd forward/backman than use our Ward compo pick.

bulldogsman
13-09-2011, 12:43 PM
Ben Casley has been cut from the GWS rookie list - I'd rather punt on him as a 3rd forward/backman than use our Ward compo pick.

Fair point, there should be a fair few in the draft we could punt on actually.

I'd rather us use the Ward compo pick on a 17 year anyway. O'Meara would obviously be great, but Crouch and Haynes are also nice players we could really use.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-09-2011, 03:48 PM

This.

If we manufactured a trade another way, I wouldn't be disappointed. Our forward line is terrible and there's a lot of pressure on Jones and Grant.

Who knows if Panos will be given a senior spot, and Hill isn't ready yet.

Desipura
13-09-2011, 06:13 PM
Gunston's stats read quiet well, most notable performances this season:

Kicked 5 goals straight and took 9 marks against Richmond
Kicked 4 the previous week against Gold Coast
Kicked 3 against Brisbane
Kicked 2 goals against North & Port West Coast

bornadog
13-09-2011, 06:25 PM

He has age on his side and will improve and develop.

Sedat
13-09-2011, 06:28 PM
Who was he on? How many contested marks did he take? Did he lay any tackles inside forward 50? Adelaide lost this game comfortably, and 3 of those goals were in junk time.

There would be a long list of players who kicked bags of 4+ against GC in 2011. He was probably on an opponent even younger and skinnier than he is.

Saw this game. He finished off the good work of others up the field.

They were thrashed in two of these games and beat the cellar dwellar in the other one - kicking a couple of goals means nothing in isolation.

Maddog37
13-09-2011, 07:03 PM
Isn't finishing the good work of others the forwards job to a degree though Sedat?

Sedat
13-09-2011, 08:13 PM
Isn't finishing the good work of others the forwards job to a degree though Sedat?
It is the least that a 3rd tall forward should be doing IMO. Gunston looks like a younger skinnier Jack Anthony to me - that's not to say he will end up that way but IMO we have so many more urgent areas that need to be addressed, that trading in a 3rd tall is an extravagance that we can ill-afford, especially considering he will be the subject of a multi-club bidding war and the winner will be paying significant overs. Let Norf get him for a teen pick I say.

We have a rookie who could do what Gunston does at a pinch - why on earth would we contemplate parting with a first round pick or, worse, the Ward compo pick for a player that will add bugger-all to our serious list deficiencies?

stefoid
13-09-2011, 08:41 PM
It is the least that a 3rd tall forward should be doing IMO. Gunston looks like a younger skinnier Jack Anthony to me - that's not to say he will end up that way but IMO we have so many more urgent areas that need to be addressed, that trading in a 3rd tall is an extravagance that we can ill-afford, especially considering he will be the subject of a multi-club bidding war and the winner will be paying significant overs. Let Norf get him for a teen pick I say.

We have a rookie who could do what Gunston does at a pinch - why on earth would we contemplate parting with a first round pick or, worse, the Ward compo pick for a player that will add bugger-all to our serious list deficiencies?

yeah-hup!

Mofra
14-09-2011, 11:54 AM
We have a rookie who could do what Gunston does at a pinch
A very important point - even if Panos provides 80% of the output Gunston does, I'd take that and keep our Ward compo pick, thanks

Desipura
14-09-2011, 01:24 PM
Who was he on? How many contested marks did he take? Did he lay any tackles inside forward 50? Adelaide lost this game comfortably, and 3 of those goals were in junk time.

There would be a long list of players who kicked bags of 4+ against GC in 2011. He was probably on an opponent even younger and skinnier than he is.
Saw this game. He finished off the good work of others up the field.

They were thrashed in two of these games and beat the cellar dwellar in the other one - kicking a couple of goals means nothing in isolation.
Thanks for going to the trouble of multi quoting me on the stats I provided.
Im not saying we MUST pick him up.
I like the bolded bits. You dont know who he was on and therefore speculating he was probably on a skinny opponent.

For your info, he laid 21 tackles in 12 games and took 60 marks in 12 games (average of 5 a game)
I dont have a breakdown at this stage of how many were contested marks.

bornadog
14-09-2011, 01:52 PM

Here is a summary

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/untitled-8.jpg

Sedat
14-09-2011, 01:57 PM
For your info, he laid 21 tackles in 12 games and took 60 marks in 12 games (average of 5 a game). I dont have a breakdown at this stage of how many were contested marks.Desi, I wasn't having a crack. And I know you didn't state that we needed to chase him. I was just giving my reasons why I personally wouldn't go after Gunston. I reckon his actual impact in the games I saw was negligable, and that we have far more pressing needs on our list that require attention.

Desipura
14-09-2011, 02:03 PM
Desi, I wasn't having a crack. And I know you didn't state that we needed to chase him. I was just giving my reasons why I personally wouldn't go after Gunston. I reckon his actual impact in the games I saw was negligable, and that we have far more pressing needs on our list that require attention.

Sorry for misinterpreting your post. Thanks for clarifying.

Desipura
14-09-2011, 02:06 PM
Here is a summary

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/untitled-8.jpg

BOD, Footywire has him listed as 193cm and 81kgs, I think the above weights were from when he was 1st drafted.

Dogs87
14-09-2011, 03:24 PM
FWIW, a lot of people seem to think Gunston's preferred club is Essendon and that they've already begun working out a deal with Adelaide. I'd say we've got no chance of getting him to the Dogs, be that good or bad.

Desipura
14-09-2011, 03:32 PM
FWIW, a lot of people seem to think Gunston's preferred club is Essendon and that they've already begun working out a deal with Adelaide. I'd say we've got no chance of getting him to the Dogs, be that good or bad.
What have Essendon got to offer, Gumbleton?

Greystache
14-09-2011, 04:35 PM

+ a 2nd round pick... at best.

Gumbleton is no good.

bornadog
14-09-2011, 04:55 PM

Desi I compared Gunston to Grant. Their stats are almost excactly the same for the year except Gunston is a couple of years younger. Unless we can offer a player swap (if we think he is worth it), then I wouldn't waste one of our picks.

Desipura
14-09-2011, 04:57 PM
Desi I compared Gunston to Grant. Their stats are almost excactly the same for the year except Gunston is a couple of years younger. Unless we can offer a player swap (if we think he is worth it), then I wouldn't waste one of our picks.
Would be rapt if Grant would kick just under 2 goals a game.

bornadog
14-09-2011, 05:09 PM
Would be rapt if Grant would kick just under 2 goals a game.

Grant - 16 games 16 goals and 6 goal assists

Gunston 12 games 19 goals plus 4 assists

Not that much different.

Desipura
14-09-2011, 05:32 PM
Grant - 16 games 16 goals and 6 goal assists

Gunston 12 games 19 goals plus 4 assists

Not that much different.

193cm 81kgs vs 192kgs 81kgs, they are similar at this stage in height/weight.
Gunston appears to take more marks than Grant.

bulldogsman
14-09-2011, 05:50 PM

I don't understand why they would want him, surely they have enough talls at both ends of the ground. Hurley, Carlisle, Pears, Hooker, Crameri, Gumbleton, Steinberg and a future father son next year. Makes no sense to me.

ledge
14-09-2011, 05:58 PM
Hurley might be gone next year and Gumbleton has more injuries than Freo put together.

bulldogsman
14-09-2011, 06:13 PM
Hurley might be gone next year and Gumbleton has more injuries than Freo put together.

Even with Hurley gone they are hardly short on talls, I didn't add on Ryder either or young Luke Davis.

bornadog
14-09-2011, 07:06 PM

They have already started talking to Hurley so they can avoid GWS issues next year.

chef
14-09-2011, 07:08 PM
They have already started talking to Hurley so they can avoid GWS issues next year.

No chance he will sign this year, is his manager Paul Connors?

macca
14-09-2011, 07:21 PM
swap grant for gunston iffff we see more upside to gunston

ledge
14-09-2011, 07:24 PM

And the manager will say wait until end of contract:D

Rocco Jones
14-09-2011, 08:03 PM

What an unique approach! Someone get on the blower and tell Jimmy Fantasia about it. That or keep complaining about how it's all the AFL and GWS' fault.

Dogs87
22-09-2011, 11:38 AM
Article today in the Herald Sun claims that Essendon are seemingly NOT one of the clubs after Gunston, but as reported earlier North and the Hawks are two of five clubs who are. I stand corrected.

Link: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/victorian-clubs-in-race-for-homesick-tall-jack-gunston/story-fn69a32t-1226143153527

chef
29-09-2011, 02:07 PM
Gunston in hot demand

DEPARTING Adelaide utility Jack Gunston is in hot demand among Melbourne AFL clubs chasing his services.

The promising 19-year-old is understood to be courting approaches from at least three Victorian clubs after he declared intentions to head back to his home state after just two years on the Crows list.

Gunston is on the verge of his decision on which club he intends to join next year and seek an appropriate trade to and continue his fledgling career back in Melbourne.

North Melbourne, Western Bulldogs and Hawthorn are three clubs known to be courting the talented key position big man’s services.

An announcement from Gunston and his management on his plans for a trade is believed to be imminent.

If Gunston has not made clear his intentions before Saturday’s AFL grand final, his announcement is expected just days after the premiership play-off.

Essendon is believed to have dropped out of the race to sign the exciting young talent, despite Gunston’s dad Ray being an avid Bombers fan and former board member.

The Hawks, Dogs and North are all hot in pursuit of Gunston to bolster their tall defensive needs.

Hawthorn is seeking to bolster their tall key defensive lines, while the Dogs appear uncertain on the future of injured veteran back man Brian Lake.

North is also searching for tall backmen with tough defensive servants Michael Firrito and Daniel Pratt entering twilights of their playing days.

Gunston needs to make any announcement on his future before commencement of the official AFL trade week starting on Monday October 10.

Crows management is expected to play hard-ball on any trade for the 193cm versatile key position talent with Gunston having played just 14 senior games, including 12 this year.

Adelaide is tipped to demand at least a first round draft pick in any swap for Gunston or a top quality player in exchange.

Gunston went to Adelaide through the 2009 national draft as the Crows second round choice and number 29 overall.

He was nurtured through his 12 appearances in 2011 predominantly as a defender, but has proven capabilities to play as a lead-up and marking prime forward.

Gunston had Adelaide’s 2011 best young player award withdrawn just days before the Crows fairest-and-best presentation when it was revealed he planned to leave the club.

He won significant plaudits for his performance in last year’s SANFL grand final when he played an entire game at one end of the ground as a key defender or forward in Central Districts’ premiership.

http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2011/09/28/gunston-in-hot-demand/

Desipura
29-09-2011, 02:39 PM
I think we need to look at bolstering at kpps and Gunston will assist in this area.

bornadog
29-09-2011, 03:04 PM
I think we need to look at bolstering at kpps and Gunston will assist in this area.

What would you give up for him?

Desipura
29-09-2011, 03:39 PM
What would you give up for him?
Higgins. You have to weigh up what they would want.

chef
29-09-2011, 03:42 PM
Higgins. You have to weigh up what they would want.

You would think they would be interested in Howard(not sure I would want to give him up though), who they would have picked with the pick they used on Gunston if he had been available. I think they will be going after a first round pick for him.

jazzadogs
29-09-2011, 04:46 PM
Obviously not going to get the job done on his own, but would the Crows be interested in Minson at all? I know they have Jacobs, who are their other ruckmen?

Fwiw I don't want to get rid of Minson just yet.

I'm also not sold on getting Gunston. If Panos comes on as we all expect, he will fill the forward role Gunston would play. This article is the first I've seen mentioning him as a backman.

I wouldn't want to be giving up a first round pick, or anyone under around 22-23 years old. which basically rules us out.

Bulldog Joe
29-09-2011, 05:30 PM
While Adelaide may talk tough and seek a first rounder, they are not in a position of strength on Gunston.

Gunston can in effect just walk away and go to the draft with Richmond, Melbourne and us being the order of selection.

Maybe Panos as an Adelaide boy could be part of a satisfactory trade.

Desipura
29-09-2011, 05:47 PM
While Adelaide may talk tough and seek a first rounder, they are not in a position of strength on Gunston.

Gunston can in effect just walk away and go to the draft with Richmond, Melbourne and us being the order of selection.

Maybe Panos as an Adelaide boy could be part of a satisfactory trade.
Why would they want Panos when they have Walker?

Bulldog Joe
29-09-2011, 06:21 PM
Why would they want Panos when they have Walker?

Why would they then want to hang on to Gunston.

Panos and Gunston may be similar types although Gunston is clearly ahead to date.

Desipura
29-09-2011, 08:24 PM
Why would they then want to hang on to Gunston.

Panos and Gunston may be similar types although Gunston is clearly ahead to date.

Panos and Gunston are not similar types. Clubs are interested in Gunston, he is at the age where they are starting to see improvement. It's a matter of who wants him the most which is good for Adelaide unless he goes to the bottom Vic clubs. I don't think he would do that unless they do not send him to his club of choice.