PDA

View Full Version : Callan Ward Compensation Explained

The Coon Dog
13-09-2011, 08:12 PM
From the AFL Website

Western Bulldogs - Round One selection (Callan Ward)

The selection for Callan Ward may be activated by the Western Bulldogs after its round one selection in any one of the 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 NAB AFL Draft Selection Meetings. The selection will be immediately placed behind the Round One selection of the Western Bulldogs in that particular season. (I.e, should the Bulldogs earn the right for selection 12, the compensation selection would be number 13, if the Bulldogs earn the right for selection four, the compensation selection would be number five etc.).

Should the Western Bulldogs wish to activate the selection in the 2011 NAB AFL Draft, during the expansion-period Drafts, the selection would be placed at the end of Round One.

For the selection to be activated for the 2011 NAB AFL Draft, the Western Bulldogs will be required to notify the AFL of its intention to use the selection by Friday November 11, 2011.

For the selection to be activated for any of the years 2012-2015 in the NAB AFL Draft of that particular year, the Western Bulldogs will be required to notify the AFL of its intention to use the selection by the last Tuesday of that particular year, prior to the start of the Toyota AFL Premiership Season.

The club has the right to on-trade its compensation selection to another club.
If the club on-trades its compensation selection to another club, the selection may be used in that year's NAB AFL Draft Selection meeting, or in any other year up to the 2015 NAB AFL Draft.

The lodgement of the contract offer to Ward by the GWS Giants FC means the club cannot automatically select another uncontracted player from the Western Bulldogs.

G-Mo77
13-09-2011, 08:17 PM
I hope they keep the pick and use it next year. It will be around 20ish if we take it this year right?

LostDoggy
13-09-2011, 08:18 PM
Is that all we get? Lame

LostDoggy
13-09-2011, 08:20 PM
Is that all we get? Lame

How is that Lame? What if we held the pick over 2 years and (knock on wood, just example) we end up bottom 4 in 2014 and end up with say, Pick 4? We would then get Pick 5, 2 picks in top 5 wouldn't be 'Lame'

LostDoggy
13-09-2011, 08:21 PM
OK I'm utterly done. Tank, tank and tank some more and take picks 1 & 2 next year. Utterly pathetic return.
Or - trade it back to the giants for pick 1 in the minidraft.

the banker
13-09-2011, 08:22 PM
Shafted.

Rocco Jones
Great work Barry.

Sedat
Is that band 2 compensation? About fair enough. We finish bottom 6 next year (highly likely) and the pick becomes very valuable.

I will be shattered and appalled if we do something irresponsible with this hard-won pick during this coming trade period.

Dancin' Douggy
13-09-2011, 08:23 PM
Surely Ward is worth a round 1 and round 2 pick.

Dancin' Douggy
13-09-2011, 08:24 PM
would love to still have the Harbrow pick in the bank. Sherman? Pffff.......

Mantis
13-09-2011, 08:25 PM
Is that band 2 compensation? About fair enough. We finish bottom 6 next year (highly likely) and the pick becomes very valuable.

Agree.

I will be shattered and appalled if we do something irresponsible with this hard-won pick during this coming trade period.

We either use it as a bargaining chip in the 17yo mini-draft or we bank it... That's it.

Sedat
13-09-2011, 08:26 PM
With Simon Garlick having been very vocal in the media about expecting nothing less than band 1 compensation for Ward, where does that leave our reputation in the wider football public?

Rocco Jones
13-09-2011, 08:28 PM
Great work Barry.

I just realised that we have to notify the AFL we are using it BEFORE a season starts.

If we on trade it, does the compo pick come after ours or the team we trade it to? If it's the latter we do some clever business like trade it 'back' to GWS. They are obviously very likely to last (or nearby anyway) meaning the pick could be worth pick 2 overall to them.

G-Mo77
13-09-2011, 08:29 PM
With Simon Garlick having been very vocal in the media about expecting nothing less than band 1 compensation for Ward, where does that leave our reputation in the wider football public?

I think the public thought we were really stretching with that demand so I doubt it will hurt our reputation. Most of the public thought Scully wasn't worth 2 first rounders.

Rocco Jones
13-09-2011, 08:30 PM
We either use it as a bargaining chip in the 17yo mini-draft or we bank it... That's it.

Completely agree.

Remi Moses
13-09-2011, 08:32 PM

Agree Sedat. Let's be honest I think we'll battle next season.

w3design
13-09-2011, 08:42 PM

That's what i think too what a joke!

Dazza
13-09-2011, 08:42 PM
I am not upset with this outcome. Pretty much knew it was coming.

However....

Say a team nominates Lachlan Hunter after our first round pick in 2012 which forces us to use our next pick does this mean the compo pick will be used or the 2nd rounder?

...Bit confusing.

stefoid
13-09-2011, 08:49 PM
would love to still have the Harbrow pick in the bank. Sherman? Pffff.......

I dont mind Sherman. He has had a disrupted year, but I think he offers us something.

If we arent a serious threat for the finals next year, I hope we 'play the kids' in the second half of the season, know what I mean? nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

We cant use this pick this year, only from 2012 onwards.

We really need to ace the 2012 draft with dual top 10 picks and a f/s that we get with a value pick. i.e not a frist rounder.

Rocco Jones
13-09-2011, 08:50 PM

However....

Say a team nominates Lachlan Hunter after our first round pick in 2012 which forces us to use our next pick does this mean the compo pick will be used or the 2nd rounder?

...Bit confusing.

2nd rounder as it would also come after our compo pick.

stefoid
13-09-2011, 08:51 PM

However....

...Bit confusing.

I would say in general the compo pick is fair game to use for f/s, but since our picks are back to back, it doesnt matter anyway.

Dazza
13-09-2011, 08:53 PM
Melbourne should be forced into using it's first pick on Viney yeah? Next year is going to be rife with tanking IMO.

divvydan
13-09-2011, 08:53 PM
Great work Barry.

I just realised that we have to notify the AFL we are using it BEFORE a season starts.

If we on trade it, does the compo pick come after ours or the team we trade it to? If it's the latter we do some clever business like trade it 'back' to GWS. They are obviously very likely to last (or nearby anyway) meaning the pick could be worth pick 2 overall to them.

AFL_PKeane Patrick Keane
Further, Compensation picks, if traded, are tied to the finishing order of the club that traded them, NOT the club that receives them.

stefoid
13-09-2011, 08:54 PM
AFL_PKeane Patrick Keane
Further, Compensation picks, if traded, are tied to the finishing order of the club that traded them, NOT the club that receives them.

I say we trade it to GWS and then do the dirty on them by winning the premiership.

westdog54
13-09-2011, 09:14 PM

The problem is the Astronomical deal offered to Scully, it left Ward's deal for dead. Its probably the most important factor.

Don't get me wrong, the fact that Tom Scully will probably be the highest paid player in the league is a laughable situation, but it is what it is.

Drunken Bum
13-09-2011, 09:18 PM
I say we trade it to GWS and then do the dirty on them by winning the premiership.

This :D

Doc26
13-09-2011, 09:24 PM
End of round 1 pick for Fremantle for a bloke that couldn't hit a barn door coupled with protection from any further GWS raiding. They would be killing themselves with laughter and joy.

SlimPickens
13-09-2011, 09:32 PM
I actually think we received a good deal for Ward(in isolation), on the other hand Freo must be jumping for joy.

I hope we bank it for an uncompromised draft. Realistically it could mean two top 10 picks in the next couple of years.

azabob
13-09-2011, 09:39 PM
What was expected. As others have said no trading of the pick unless it's for 17 year old mini draft.

I have more faith in our recruiting staff than our trading gurus.

bornadog
13-09-2011, 09:50 PM
The whole compensation package is a joke. Ward is a more established player than either Scully or Davis yet Scully is ranked higher and Davis the same as Ward. Yes Scully's contract is worth more but surely it can't just be based on the size of the contract. We have put in more years of development into Ward than Melbourne has for Scully. Not happy.

Jasper
13-09-2011, 10:35 PM
The whole compensation package is a joke. Ward is a more established player than either Scully or Davis yet Scully is ranked higher and Davis the same as Ward. Yes Scully's contract is worth more but surely it can't just be based on the size of the contract. We have put in more years of development into Ward than Melbourne has for Scully. Not happy.

What is the real joke is that AFL clubs signed off on this process.

And Ablett excepted, what is really difficult to swallow is how the weaker clubs' futures have been targeted. How many players have West Coast, Carlton and Collingwood lost?

The Bulldogs Bite
14-09-2011, 01:03 AM

Yep. It's crap.

We should have been given a second round pick, too.

I can see us trading this one..

The Bulldogs Bite
14-09-2011, 01:46 AM
What is the real joke is that AFL clubs signed off on this process.

And Ablett excepted, what is really difficult to swallow is how the weaker clubs' futures have been targeted. How many players have West Coast, Carlton and Collingwood lost?

The fact Collingwood got compensated for Fraser is a joke. They got Krak for him didn't they?

I hate the AFL more than I ever have.

comrade
14-09-2011, 01:48 AM
The fact Collingwood got compensated for Fraser is a joke. They got Krak for him didn't they?

I hate the AFL more than I ever have.

Sometimes it feels like we barrack for the unluckiest football team in the league. Nothing goes right for us on the field, and we always manage to get screwed off it.

Also, I agree with your AFL hate. They can get *!*!*!*!ed.

Sockeye Salmon
14-09-2011, 04:24 AM
Andrew Demetriou said the only fair way to value a player was by his salary and age.

Ward is 21 and one of the top 4-5 highest players in the league. Regardless of whether he should be or not, by the AFLs guidelines he must have been tier 1.

The AFL are simply corrupt

Remi Moses
14-09-2011, 05:13 AM
We should have got a second rounder thrown in .
Sad Sad day when Scully gets 2 mil a season.

LostDoggy
14-09-2011, 07:31 AM

Totally agree - this is just crap. And why did the clubs sign off on it? Can't believe Freo are getting the same compensation as us - they must be sniggering at us?

chef
14-09-2011, 07:32 AM
A first round pick is a fair compo to me.

MrMahatma
14-09-2011, 07:42 AM
Yeah. I thinks it's as close to market value as we'd get. Prob is that everyone else is getting overs for their players.

Go_Dogs
14-09-2011, 08:56 AM
Andrew Demetriou said the only fair way to value a player was by his salary and age.

Ward is 21 and one of the top 4-5 highest players in the league. Regardless of whether he should be or not, by the AFLs guidelines he must have been tier 1.

The AFL are simply corrupt

It appears unless it's a $1M+ p/year contract, you won't get tier 1.

Grantysghost
14-09-2011, 09:10 AM

I agree in isolation as stated in an earlier post, however if compared to Scully, Ward has had 2 more years of development, doesn't have a chronic knee problem, and is earning a fortune as is Scully. To give Melbourne twice what we get doesn't make any sense.

Its a bit sad that i feel we should finish as low as possible next year and get two picks in the top ten, but thats where we're at. :o

chef
14-09-2011, 09:23 AM
I agree in isolation as stated in an earlier post, however if compared to Scully, Ward has had 2 more years of development, doesn't have a chronic knee problem, and is earning a fortune as is Scully. To give Melbourne twice what we get doesn't make any sense.

Its a bit sad that i feel we should finish as low as possible next year and get two picks in the top ten, but thats where we're at. :o

Scully is a better(and is going to be a much better) player, is being offer more money, a longer deal, is a smarter footballer, has leadership written all over him, was a number 1 draft pick etc.

No way known we should get the same compo as Melbourne and them losing Scullly would be like us losing Cooney or Griffen after two seasons. It hurts to lose Ward, but he isn't going to be a superstar(like I think Scully will) IMO.

Desipura
14-09-2011, 09:39 AM
Scully is a better(and is going to be a much better) player, is being offer more money, a longer deal, is a smarter footballer, has leadership written all over him, was a number 1 draft pick etc.

No way known we should get the same compo as Melbourne and them losing Scullly would be like us losing Cooney or Griffen after two seasons. It hurts to lose Ward, but he isn't going to be a superstar(like I think Scully will) IMO.
We should have received in addition to the first round pick a 2nd round pick for a player who has played 60 games at 21yo and has a mature body to play week in week out.
How Palmer is in the same bracket is a joke!
Again we have been shafted, and being the club that does not want to ruffle feathers, we will bend over and take it as we always do.

Mantis
14-09-2011, 09:40 AM
Scully is a better(and is going to be a much better) player, is being offer more money, a longer deal, is a smarter footballer, has leadership written all over him, was a number 1 draft pick etc..

These are factors that can not and are not taken into account.

Mantis
14-09-2011, 09:42 AM
We should have received in addition to the first round pick a 2nd round pick for a player who has played 60 games at 21yo and has a mature body to play week in week out.
Again we have been shafted, and being the club that does not want to ruffle feathers, we will bend over and take it as we always do.

But Palmer isn't in the same bracket.

Palmer is tier 3 (end of rd 1 pick), Ward is tier 2.

bornadog
14-09-2011, 09:49 AM

Do you mean Davis not Palmer?

I don't know if the club can do anything other than complain?

Mofra
14-09-2011, 10:20 AM
It would have hurt our reputation more if he didn't try it on - we shoudl try and leave no stone unturned for the best deal.

Desipura
14-09-2011, 10:29 AM
But Palmer isn't in the same bracket.

Palmer is tier 3 (end of rd 1 pick), Ward is tier 2.
Not a big difference, Davis has only played a handful of games and he is classified in the same bracket.
F%$# this shits me! Lets throw some money at a future gun and stop being everyone's walking mat.

Sedat
14-09-2011, 11:04 AM
It would have hurt our reputation more if he didn't try it on - we shoudl try and leave no stone unturned for the best deal.
If we were going to be so vocal about demanding "nothing less" than band 1 compensation (Garlick's words), then our media response this morning to getting band 2 compensation has been meek and submissive to say the least (but to be honest not surprising).

Happy Days
14-09-2011, 11:21 AM

What exactly has Scully shown to prove that he's going to be a superstar? The only thing similar I see to Cooney is a bad wheel.

I know it's in vogue on here to say that Ward wasn't very good to numb the pain of losing him, but the fact of the matter is that he was very good, and it's ridiculous to say that Scully's better based on anything that they've shown in the AFL.

We got bent over on compensation, no two ways about it.

LostDoggy
14-09-2011, 11:32 AM
How is that Lame? What if we held the pick over 2 years and (knock on wood, just example) we end up bottom 4 in 2014 and end up with say, Pick 4? We would then get Pick 5, 2 picks in top 5 wouldn't be 'Lame'

It's lame in the fact that we got "Band 2" compensation and not "Band 1"

Grantysghost
14-09-2011, 12:40 PM
Scully is a better(and is going to be a much better) player,.

How do you come to this conclusion. I completely disagree. At this stage Ward is a better player. Potentially Scully could be better but the facts are at the moment he is not. Ward to me will be a future Lenny Hayes.

always right
14-09-2011, 12:55 PM
Unfortunately GWS believe Scully is going to be a better player than Ward as illustrated by the deal they have offered him. Everything else is subjective when it comes to assessing what he is worth in draft picks. The contract offered to Scully has created the perceived value between him versus Ward.

Grantysghost
14-09-2011, 12:59 PM
Unfortunately GWS believe Scully is going to be a better player than Ward as illustrated by the deal they have offered him. Everything else is subjective when it comes to assessing what he is worth in draft picks. The contract offered to Scully has created the perceived value between him versus Ward.

Interesting how the gap between tier 1 and 2 is huge basically double, however the gap between tier 2 and 3 eg Ward V Palmer is more subtle (first rounder v an end of first rounder). Smacks of the MRP, a system that whilst attempting to rid us of grey areas ironically creates more.

Doc26
14-09-2011, 01:41 PM

How do you know who GWS believe will be a better player for them long term ?

I'm not convinced that the money offered necessarily dictates this. They offered what it took to get both Ward and Scully. Who knows, maybe they see equal benefit in Ward and Scully but had to pay overs to get Scully to sign on.

What if Scully had signed on earlier at the reported $600k p.a and Ward held out to the eleventh hour. Maybe it would be Ward with the $1m plus contract and us with 2 round one selections.

There's no doubt upside to Scully but equally they are buying an element of risk with his reported knee issue.

They are two different players that should offer a different set of values and IF it works out for GWS should complement each other like a Lenny Hayes / Nick Dal Santo did for St Kilda.

Personally Melbourne received slight over, us slightly under and Freo way over.

The damn thing is a lottery like the MRP. Just hand it over to Kevin Sheehan to decide.

Topdog
14-09-2011, 04:03 PM
How do you know who GWS believe will be a better player for them long term ?

I'm not convinced that the money offered necessarily dictates this. They offered what it took to get both Ward and Scully. Who knows, maybe they see equal benefit in Ward and Scully but had to pay overs to get Scully to sign on.

No, just no. They wouldn't spend $2m on someone they don't think that highly of. They rate Scully as having more potential. Ward will be the better player next year and IMO is a lock for their b&f

Bulldog4life
14-09-2011, 04:59 PM
If we were going to be so vocal about demanding "nothing less" than band 1 compensation (Garlick's words), then our media response this morning to getting band 2 compensation has been meek and submissive to say the least (but to be honest not surprising).

Couldn't agree more with you Sedat. Felt the same when I read it in the newspaper today.

Remi Moses
14-09-2011, 05:18 PM

Agree entirely , we're just so lily livid it's sad.This AFL assistance has got us by the short and Curly's to a point where our club has become spineless!

LostDoggy
14-09-2011, 05:33 PM
What I think stinks is the compensation is dictated by our performance. Why isn't it a flat # pick in the first round?? Why is it pending on where our pick is in the year the compensation is activated? That isn't "compensation" for the loss of a great player.

Rocco Jones
14-09-2011, 05:33 PM
The issue I have with the compensation is the difference between Band 1 and 2 is too large. Band 1 gets you literally twice as much as Band 2, yet the difference between Band 2 and 3 is minimal. Why not go with more Bands/options?

Band 1= Two 1st rounders
Band 2= 1st rounder + 2nd rounder
Band 3= 1st rounder

chef
14-09-2011, 06:20 PM
How do you come to this conclusion. I completely disagree. At this stage Ward is a better player. Potentially Scully could be better but the facts are at the moment he is not. Ward to me will be a future Lenny Hayes.

I can't honestly see him ever getting that good.

chef
14-09-2011, 06:21 PM

So does Selwood while Juddys shoulders aren't in good shape I hear.

Maddog37
14-09-2011, 06:30 PM
I actually think the judgement should be made on a case by case for each player with guidelines such as the tiers in place. They should be able to factor in salary, age, performance, whether the club has lost other players etc and then compensate accordingly. So rather than Scully is Tier one hence two first rounds and Ward is Tier to hence one first round, it could be Ward somewhere in between so one first round and a third or second round as well.

It is not as if there is three hundred trades going on and the AFL ha no time to assess each case on it's merits. Lazy pricks.

mjp
14-09-2011, 06:35 PM
Ward himself was a second round pick wasn't he? Roughead was. Liam Jones certainly was. So were Jessie Wells and Dylan Addison.

If we use the pick well, the extra 2nd round pick is pretty good - it is certainly not 'minimal'.

I think the compensation is pretty fair - if Callan Ward had demanded a trade I doubt we would have received a first round pick for him.

LostDoggy
14-09-2011, 06:45 PM
Agree entirely , we're just so lily livid it's sad.This AFL assistance has got us by the short and Curly's to a point where our club has become spineless!

Who gives a stuff about the AFL assistance. The club should be all over the media about this in order to get a better deal here. They should be jumping up and down to at least get a 2nd round pick added to compensation. Geelong were very vocal last year and got looked after and I can guarantee that if this happened to Collingwood, Eddie would be like a monster.

We have been severely impacted by loss of both Harbrow and Ward to these to new clubs whilst Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon are simply giggling. Melbourne are having an internal chuckle too because they have 2 first round picks.

Why should members of our club have to put up with the unfair treatment that we receive from the AFL. For heavens sake, we haven't won a flag for over 50 years and it really doesn't look like it will ever occur ..... especially if we lay down be trodden by the Demetriou and his hack mates at the AFL.

Come on Simon Garlick ...... grow D@ck!!!

LostDoggy
14-09-2011, 06:48 PM
Is Scully worth more than Ward AND Harbrow put together? Because Melbourne's compensation for Scully will be more than what we get for Ward AND Harbrow combined.

chef
14-09-2011, 06:52 PM
Is Scully worth more than Ward AND Harbrow put together? Because Melbourne's compensation for Scully will be more than what we get for Ward AND Harbrow combined.

Would you trade Ward and Harbrow for Scully?

LostDoggy
14-09-2011, 07:00 PM
Would you trade Ward and Harbrow for Scully?

Not a chance. The Ward + Harbrow combination would cover far more bases role wise and would be far more valuable to a team than Scully would be on his own, and I'm comparing all these players playing to their full potential. (On revealed performances to date, and leaving aside potential, Scully isn't even worth either Harbrow or Ward on their own. How many good games has Scully even played?)

It's like saying is Bartel + Enright > Gablett Jr? Shit yes.

bornadog
14-09-2011, 07:02 PM
Not a chance. The Ward + Scully combination would cover far more bases role wise and would be far more valuable to a team than Scully would be on his own, and I'm comparing all these players playing to their full potential. (On revealed performances to date, and leaving aside potential, Scully isn't even worth either Harbrow or Ward on their own. How many good games has Scully even played?)

38 disposals against us last year.

BTW, I agree with you.

LostDoggy
14-09-2011, 07:03 PM
38 disposals against us last year.
BTW, I agree with you.

Haha true -- we specialise in giving opposition players career best games.

Go_Dogs
14-09-2011, 07:38 PM
Not a big difference, Davis has only played a handful of games and he is classified in the same bracket.
F%$# this shits me! Lets throw some money at a future gun and stop being everyone's walking mat.

He's younger, a top 10 pick (?) and a key position player. If it hadn't been for injuries this year he would currently be sitting with 30+ games. He's pretty underrated outside of SA from what I can gather.

Sedat
14-09-2011, 07:40 PM
Couldn't agree more with you Sedat. Felt the same when I read it in the newspaper today.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/cats-stunned-by-tom-scully-compensation/story-e6frf9jf-1226136909946

The truly pathetic thing is that Geelong have gone harder in the media about these compensation decisions, that don't even involve their club, than we have. Our club leaders are completely and utterly intimidated/owned by the AFL. We dare not utter anything remotely controversial lest we incur the wrath of city hall.

In recent years, our club's leadership has been embarrassingly submissive on issues that affect our club. Even North Melbourne makes far more noise about issues that affect them than we do. Leadership does not and should not involve mindless approval and acceptance of the status quo on every single occasion. It shows a lack of conviction and leadership to fight tooth and nail in the media, puff the chest out and demand top tier compensation for the loss of Ward, blame "the system" ad nauseum, and then proceed to whimper in the corner when this demand has been tossed aside by the AFL. None of this is to even mention how easily we are manouvered by the other clubs during trade week negotiations, where we have either folded like a deck of cards or cut off our nose to spite our face.

mjp
15-09-2011, 12:19 AM

Well....

I am not so certain about that. I always think the team that ends up with the best player is the team that 'wins' a trade. If Melbourne offered us Scully for Ward and Harbrow, I think we definitely take the phone call and consider it...if we called Melbourne offering the same deal - they laugh and hang up the phone.

MrMahatma
15-09-2011, 02:30 AM
Well....

I am not so certain about that. I always think the team that ends up with the best player is the team that 'wins' a trade. If Melbourne offered us Scully for Ward and Harbrow, I think we definitely take the phone call and consider it...if we called Melbourne offering the same deal - they laugh and hang up the phone.
I agree. 1 very good player is better than 2 who are decent.

I personally think both the Doggies boys are a touch overrated. But then again, so is Scully.

I think we got a fair deal for Ward. I think Melb got a VERY good deal for Scully. I there's no way the AFL could compensate Geelong sufficiently and practically.

Desipura
15-09-2011, 07:42 AM
Ward himself was a second round pick wasn't he? Roughead was. Liam Jones certainly was. So were Jessie Wells and Dylan Addison.

If we use the pick well, the extra 2nd round pick is pretty good - it is certainly not 'minimal'.

I think the compensation is pretty fair - if Callan Ward had demanded a trade I doubt we would have received a first round pick for him.

I disagree, at 21 yo and a weak draft coming up, I think a first round pick we would have received, and I know how highly you rated him as a junior.

mjp
15-09-2011, 09:09 AM
But we are receiving a first rounder. And a second rounder.

I rated him incredibly highly as a junior (and still do) but clubs don't trade 1st round picks for inside midfielders...they just don't.

I also disagree it is a weak draft.

Desipura
15-09-2011, 09:38 AM
But we are receiving a first rounder. And a second rounder.I rated him incredibly highly as a junior (and still do) but clubs don't trade 1st round picks for inside midfielders...they just don't.

What? I must have read it incorrectly. I thought we were only getting a 1st rounder for Ward.

LostDoggy
15-09-2011, 09:57 AM
I agree. 1 very good player is better than 2 who are decent.

I personally think both the Doggies boys are a touch overrated. But then again, so is Scully.

I think we got a fair deal for Ward. I think Melb got a VERY good deal for Scully. I there's no way the AFL could compensate Geelong sufficiently and practically.

Let's not forget that Geelong only gave up third rounders for all their f/s including Ablett. I don't bad for them for a second. Imagine if we'd given up third rounders for Wallis, libba jr and Cordy. The sum of all these issues will affect us but atleast it's not like soccer where a big club would have nabbed Dahlhaus from us with cash by now.

Maddog37
15-09-2011, 11:08 AM
What? I must have read it incorrectly. I thought we were only getting a 1st rounder for Ward.

Me too???

Topdog
15-09-2011, 06:18 PM
No 2nd rounder for us mjp.

Doc26
15-09-2011, 06:47 PM
But we are receiving a first rounder. And a second rounder.
I rated him incredibly highly as a junior (and still do) but clubs don't trade 1st round picks for inside midfielders...they just don't.

Would've been 'happy', even surprised, with the compensation if the AFL were to be so generous.

One pick only I'm afraid.

LostDoggy
15-09-2011, 08:54 PM
Well....

Couple of things -- IS Scully even going to be all that good? I haven't seen a whole lot from him over the last couple of years, certainly nothing that makes me think he's going be the next coming of whatever.

Secondly, all other things being equal, surely a team with both Bartel and Enright (and 20 average players) would beat a team with Gablett and 21 average blokes.

Finally, even if he was any good, is Scully worth DOUBLE what Ward is? Because that's the difference between Tier 1 and 2. Melbourne's laughing all the way to the tank (pun totally intended).