PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs lock in Matthew Boyd and Daniel Cross

MrMahatma
14-09-2011, 11:59 PM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/bulldogs-lock-in-matthew-boyd-and-daniel-cross/story-e6frf9jf-1226137267590

2 yr extensions for both.

About right for Boyd. Would've thought maybe a 1 yr extension for Cross. But good to lock some blokes away.

bornadog
15-09-2011, 12:01 AM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/bulldogs-lock-in-matthew-boyd-and-daniel-cross/story-e6frf9jf-1226137267590

2 yr extensions for both.

About right for Boyd. Would've thought maybe a 1 yr extension for Cross. But good to lock some blokes away.

2 years for both is what I would have given Cross is a year younger.

bornadog
15-09-2011, 12:16 AM
The club has done well with these negotiations, Gia is only getting a one year extension and they are negotiating with Dahlhaus for a 3 year contract.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-09-2011, 02:01 AM
Cross is lucky to get 2 IMO.

Agree Gia should get 1, Dahl 3.

Desipura
15-09-2011, 07:49 AM
Cross should have been given 1 year, interesting that Gia will be given 1, given that it could be argued his form has been the equal if not better than Cross.
That said, I would have offered both of them 1 .

LostDoggy
15-09-2011, 09:07 AM
With a young midfield, and the money at GC and GWS we still need players off Boyd and Cross's experience, hardness and leadership. It's goign to be another two years at least until Libba, Wallis et al get up to the consistency needed of them.

Maddog37
15-09-2011, 10:55 AM
Happy with those contracts. Heart and sole of the club those guys IMO.

bornadog
15-09-2011, 10:59 AM
Cross is lucky to get 2 IMO.

Agree Gia should get 1, Dahl 3.

Cross should have been given 1 year, interesting that Gia will be given 1, given that it could be argued his form has been the equal if not better than Cross.
That said, I would have offered both of them 1 .

Why would you give Cross one year? Same old arguments, because you don't like him as a player? He is 28 years old and one of the fittest in the team, regularly picks up over 25 disposals a game, but because you don't appreciate him you would give him a one year contract? Sorry doesn't make sense to me.

Mofra
15-09-2011, 11:34 AM
Happy with those contracts. Heart and sole of the club those guys IMO.
Yup - we can't ask for loyalty from the players if we don't reward those who have given alot to the club in the first place.

LostDoggy
15-09-2011, 12:15 PM
^^^ Agreed, with all the youngsters in the mix now we need the old heads around the club to help them out.

strebla
15-09-2011, 12:18 PM
This is a great result so Gia remains the only player now out of contract is that right???

Desipura
15-09-2011, 03:51 PM
Why would you give Cross one year? Same old arguments, because you don't like him as a player? He is 28 years old and one of the fittest in the team, regularly picks up over 25 disposals a game, but because you don't appreciate him you would give him a one year contract? Sorry doesn't make sense to me.

What a load of crap, I admire Cross's courage and his ability to get the best out of himself. He is one of the hardest trainiers at the club and always leading the time trials. Your suggestion that I think he should be only offered a 1 year contract (because you believe I did not like him is way off the mark).

Unfortunately his lack of pace along with his average disposal is a liability in a team that should be assembling a team that can play the modern game. I would not be surprised if Cross is playing the 2nd year at Williamstown.

bornadog
15-09-2011, 04:02 PM
What a load of crap, I admire Cross's courage and his ability to get the best out of himself. He is one of the hardest trainiers at the club and always leading the time trials. Your suggestion that I think he should be only offered a 1 year contract (because you believe I did not like him is way off the mark).

Unfortunately his lack of pace along with his average disposal is a liability in a team that should be assembling a team that can play the modern game. I would not be surprised if Cross is playing the 2nd year at Williamstown.

You admire him, your willing to give him a one year contract yet he is a liability. I think you are confused.

Either he is good enough to get a two year contract or nothing because he is not up to it.

Desipura
15-09-2011, 06:07 PM
You admire him, your willing to give him a one year contract yet he is a liability. I think you are confused.

Either he is good enough to get a two year contract or nothing because he is not up to it.

You may be happy paying Cross a nice salary playing at Williamstown or worse still limping through his last season like Hahn, Johnson and Aker.
I prefer to take the conservative approach given no other club would be offering him mooney in 12 months time to move clubs.

Topdog
15-09-2011, 06:12 PM

if it is 2 years or nothing than I vote nothing. He is clearly slowing up and i agree that his 2nd year will most likely be played at Williamstown.

1 year contract was the way to go.

Maddog37
15-09-2011, 06:27 PM
Time will tell but I for one would not bet against the will power of Daniel Cross.

I really think the key is getting the right group together that works as a unit. Cross and Boyd need to carry less load.

bornadog
15-09-2011, 07:19 PM
You may be happy paying Cross a nice salary playing at Williamstown or worse still limping through his last season like Hahn, Johnson and Aker.
I prefer to take the conservative approach given no other club would be offering him mooney in 12 months time to move clubs.

if it is 2 years or nothing than I vote nothing. He is clearly slowing up and i agree that his 2nd year will most likely be played at Williamstown.

1 year contract was the way to go.

If he was 29 going on to 30, I would agree but he is 28 about to turn 29 and fit as a fiddle.

GVGjr
15-09-2011, 07:35 PM
I think the 2 year deal to Cross is spot on. He's fit, durable and still has a great work ethic and on top of that he is still a very effective player.
Sure he might have a slightly reduced role in his 2nd year but I doubt it.
Comparisons to the Akermanis and Hahn situations are nothing more than convenient.

LostDoggy
15-09-2011, 07:43 PM
if it is 2 years or nothing than I vote nothing. He is clearly slowing up and i agree that his 2nd year will most likely be played at williamstown

Then you expect loyalty for the rest when free agency becomes an issue.
For what's it worth Cross was close to bog in our last game.

Sedat
15-09-2011, 07:50 PM
Getting the Boyd/Cross on-field mix right is a different question to actually chopping them off the list. I definitely think these guys could be more effectively utilised in our current on-field structure, but they are starting 18 players every day of the week and still will be for the next couple of years. If we start playing hardball with players who are more than pulling their weight, we are on course for priority picks and Rohde-like seasons.

Desipura
15-09-2011, 09:04 PM
Let's give all players that were BOG 2 year contracts, step fwd Minson for your great game against Richmond, Mind boggling!

LostDoggy
15-09-2011, 09:07 PM
Not sure where i said to reward BOGs with contracts? Prefer we cut Boyd and Cross now or next season then see all the players leave when free agency comes in? Loyalty is a two way street.

Desipura
15-09-2011, 09:10 PM
Let's give all players that were BOG 2 year contracts, step fwd Minson for your great game against Richmond, Mind boggling!

With Ward gone it would be hard for Fantasia to say Cross and Gia have decided to not stay at the club and will enter the draft.
Could you imagine the uproar?
Offering him 2 years keeps everyone quiet at a time when he failed to sign Ward 12 mtgs ago

soupman
15-09-2011, 09:34 PM
With Ward gone it would be hard for Fantasia to say Cross and Gia have decided to not stay at the club and will enter the draft.
Could you imagine the uproar?
Offering him 2 years keeps everyone quiet at a time when he failed to sign Ward 12 mtgs ago

Actually if Gia left I wouldn't be surprised to see numerous posters on a certain other site celebrating.

bornadog
15-09-2011, 09:42 PM
Actually if Gia left I wouldn't be surprised to see numerous posters on a certain other site celebrating.

and many on this forum.