PDA

View Full Version : The final four

chef
15-09-2011, 08:11 AM
I for one, am happy for Cameron to become our next coach, just wondering what everybody else's thoughts are?

The Coon Dog
15-09-2011, 08:58 AM
Is that final four definitive or as a result of media speculation? I'd prefer Scott Burns, but his name isn't one of the four.

chef
15-09-2011, 09:08 AM
Is that final four definitive or as a result of media speculation? I'd prefer Scott Burns, but his name isn't one of the four.

I my have jumped the gun, but according to here http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2011/09/14/mccartney-has-coach-talks-with-bulldogs/
that's the short list.

LostDoggy
15-09-2011, 09:55 AM
I my have jumped the gun, but according to here http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2011/09/14/mccartney-has-coach-talks-with-bulldogs/
that's the short list.

And what an uninspiring list it is.

LostDoggy
15-09-2011, 10:15 AM
And what an uninspiring list it is.

True if that's the final 4 then it's a choice between two types. Ex Eade assistant vs ex Thompson assistant.

bornadog
15-09-2011, 10:32 AM
True if that's the final 4 then it's a choice between two types. Ex Eade assistant vs ex Thompson assistant.

I will take ex Thompson assistants.

SlimPickens
15-09-2011, 10:40 AM
I will take ex Thompson assistants.

Agree, i voted for Sanderson

Maddog37
15-09-2011, 11:11 AM
I am happy with the Geelong influence as I love the way they have played footy over the last few years. Great to watch.

I liked Williams Pantene joke but not sure you can give someone a job based on there ability to crack oneliners.

Mantis
15-09-2011, 11:39 AM
I am happy with the Geelong influence as I love the way they have played footy over the last few years. Great to watch.

We had played a similiar brand until it all went south.

Would you like us to play a 'Geelong brand' into the future? Do we even the have the list to do so?..... I doubt it.

bornadog
15-09-2011, 11:49 AM
We had played a similiar brand until it all went south.

Would you like us to play a 'Geelong brand' into the future? Do we even the have the list to do so?..... I doubt it.

Geelong have changed their style of play under Scott and had one of the best defensive game plans for the year.

They have played in 3 GF, 3 prelims and a semi over the past 8 years with the possibility of another Granny this year. I can't see any problems with an assistant involved in that.

Maddog37
15-09-2011, 11:56 AM
I would Mantis. I understand that things change as the Cats have even said this year, they are kicking longer and handballing less to beat the press etc.

I would rather have a game style and draft and teach the players we have to play a certain way. If the existing players cannot play that way then we trade or delist them and get ones that can.

We really are at the beginning of a new era. We need a long term strategy with a bankable game plan as opposed to playing the way that our list is currently best suited to. Bottom line the game plan dictates the list not the other way around.

Mantis
15-09-2011, 12:35 PM
I would Mantis. I understand that things change as the Cats have even said this year, they are kicking longer and handballing less to beat the press etc.

I would rather have a game style and draft and teach the players we have to play a certain way. If the existing players cannot play that way then we trade or delist them and get ones that can.

We really are at the beginning of a new era. We need a long term strategy with a bankable game plan as opposed to playing the way that our list is currently best suited to. Bottom line the game plan dictates the list not the other way around.

If that's the case we are in for some very lean years and mass delistings/ sackings.

Maddog37
15-09-2011, 12:41 PM
If that's the case we are in for some very lean years and mass delistings/ sackings.

I think that realistically we are indeed at that point. I disagree that it has to be very lean but our better players are not getting any younger and there is the age gap in our list.

There are guys in our list like Grant, Higgins, Ves and Sherman that have talent but could go either way that will make or break us.

bornadog
15-09-2011, 12:42 PM

So you don't rate the Cats game plan and therefore their coaches? I am not sure what your position is here?

Mantis
15-09-2011, 12:46 PM
So you don't rate the Cats game plan and therefore their coaches? I am not sure what your position is here?

I rate Geelong's game plan.... It's very similiar to the one we played with when we made 3 consecutive PF's, abit with some slight changes due to available personnel.

I just don't rate our list in current shape to implemement it unless we are happy to be non-competitive over the next 2 or 3 years.

bornadog
15-09-2011, 12:53 PM
I rate Geelong's game plan.... It's very similiar to the one we played with when we made 3 consecutive PF's, abit with some slight changes due to available personnel.

I just don't rate our list in current shape to implemement it unless we are happy to be non-competitive over the next 2 or 3 years.

But Geelong's game plan changed this year and they are now utilising the press? They are also hand balling less than previous years, 2010 49% and this year 43%

stefoid
15-09-2011, 01:11 PM
Geelong handballed like crazy a few years ago. More of a run in waves thing. We also had the play on mentality but our preference was to short kick rather than handball.

The zone was extremelyeffective against our short kicking game. Less so at stopping geelongs handball game.

If geelong is long kicking a bit more now its because a) they have the long targets to kick to and b) the press is hampering their handball game a little.

*!*!*!*!ed if I know what our gameplan was this year. kick long along the boundary and force as many stoppages as we can, I think.

bornadog
15-09-2011, 01:35 PM
*!*!*!*!ed if I know what our gameplan was this year. kick long along the boundary and force as many stoppages as we can, I think.

That plan was used by most teams in an attempt to get over the press. Geelong also use this tactic, but once they win the stoppage, quickly switch to the corridor and then kick it long into their forward line.

Sedat
15-09-2011, 01:51 PM
Geelong have won 18 or more games a season for 5 consecutive years. Either Thompson and Scott are Norm Smith and Jock McHale in disguise or this group of Geelong players assembled is one of the most talented the game has ever seen. I reckon their sheer talent would stand up to any game plan they implemented.

I reckon they only looked vulnerable in late 2010 because coach and best player had already mentally left the club. We've scrapped for 14-15 wins a season in this time - the gulf in class between us and Geelong is vast across the entire playing group IMO

Mantis
15-09-2011, 02:30 PM
But Geelong's game plan changed this year and they are now utilising the press? They are also hand balling less than previous years, 2010 49% and this year 43%

Yes, they are kicking long & direct to their 'power' forwards. Our problem next year is that we don't have a power forward.... well at least we don't at present. And I don't see Geelong utilising a press, they have just slightly changed their ball movement patterns.

Our game plan needs to be made to fit our list in current shape, unless we are happy to throw our kids to the wolves... Good luck to the person chosen to do so.

AndrewP6
15-09-2011, 06:15 PM
Don't know much about them, but if we truly want a change, Sanderson should get the gig. I think Cameron is the ordained though.

Remi Moses
15-09-2011, 06:21 PM
Could anyone have a definitive idea that Cameron or any of the others are going to be good coaches? Get the recruiting right , get the list management right!

the banker
15-09-2011, 07:08 PM
Are we sure it is down to these four? No Scott, no Neeld?

Scott with Laidley or Neil Craig.

bornadog
15-09-2011, 07:13 PM

I don't believe these are the final four.

Mantis
15-09-2011, 07:52 PM

Scott?

LostDoggy
15-09-2011, 07:54 PM
Too early for Cameron IMO.

LostDoggy
15-09-2011, 09:57 PM
Geelong have won 18 or more games a season for 5 consecutive years. Either Thompson and Scott are Norm Smith and Jock McHale in disguise or this group of Geelong players assembled is one of the most talented the game has ever seen. I reckon their sheer talent would stand up to any game plan they implemented.

I reckon they only looked vulnerable in late 2010 because coach and best player had already mentally left the club. We've scrapped for 14-15 wins a season in this time - the gulf in class between us and Geelong is vast across the entire playing group IMO

Agree with this.

bornadog
15-09-2011, 09:59 PM
Scott?

I think he means Scott Burns

the banker
15-09-2011, 11:34 PM
I think he means Scott Burns

Thanks BAD yes Scott Burns +

LostDoggy
15-09-2011, 11:58 PM
Damian Barrett said on The Footy Show that Mark Neeld was amongst a few with a final interview with the Bulldogs today.

Think the poll would look a bit different with him in it!

w3design
16-09-2011, 10:33 AM
Agree, i voted for Sanderson

Me too.

Axe Man
16-09-2011, 11:51 AM
Damian Barrett said on The Footy Show that Mark Neeld was amongst a few with a final interview with the Bulldogs today.

Think the poll would look a bit different with him in it!

He said that Neeld was amongst the candidates on the radio a week ago as well. He has been consistent in saying that Neeld is in the mix for our coaching job (as well as Adelaide and Melbourne).

Interesting that last night he made no mention of Sanderson, only Cameron, Williams, Neeld and McCartney (who "interviewed well").