PDA

View Full Version : McCartney to coach Bulldogs

turtle
19-09-2011, 11:52 AM
The Age is reporting that McCartney has got the gig

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/mccartney-to-coach-bulldogs-20110919-1kgs2.html

always right
19-09-2011, 12:01 PM
I'm happy with this appointment. The easy choice for the panel would have been to select Cameron. By going with McCartney they have chosen to be bold....something the club needs to be. Now to put the support structure around the new coach.

GVGjr
19-09-2011, 12:03 PM
Well done to the club and I think this might be a sign of where the list is at.

angelopetraglia
19-09-2011, 12:03 PM
A little more information on his background, from The Age earlier this year http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/mccartney-the-selfmade-coach-20110430-1e25z.html

The Underdog
19-09-2011, 12:06 PM
The Rocket is going to *!*!*!*!ing explode

BulldogBelle
19-09-2011, 12:11 PM
Good luck to him. A bold move by the Club.

The Doctor
19-09-2011, 12:12 PM
Good luck to him.

He has had a long stable apprenticeship with the most successful club of the modern era. Is obviously widely respected and was head hunted by the Bombers. Now if Leon Cameron had that on his resume.....

The Club has done what it said it would do and 'refreshed".

Greystache
19-09-2011, 12:17 PM
Without knowing anything about him as a coach, his appointment gives me confidence the process was legitimate and the club has appointed the man they believe is the best candidate.

Good luck Brendan.

The Underdog
19-09-2011, 12:21 PM
A little more information on his background, from The Age earlier this year http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/mccartney-the-selfmade-coach-20110430-1e25z.html

That's a pretty effusive write up. Seems to be pretty well respected and the teaching aspect of his background and coaching career is very much in line with what our list needs.
On face value, I like it. Now to see what he can do with the list available. Be interested to see what happens with the Williams, Monty and Dean.

LostDoggy
19-09-2011, 12:21 PM
I am very, very impressed with the appoitment of McCartney.

The club has shown that it is willing to be bold and ready to take risks in these difficult times. It would of been easy for the club to rest on it's laurells and pick Baker, however they chose to go outside the square and stick to a genuine process of picking the best available.

He sounds like just the man to help heal the many rifts that have been emerging between club and player.

All that is left is for Fantasia to be given his marching orders and for McCartney to be given the resources to get the best out of his group.

Well Done Dogs!

The Underdog
19-09-2011, 12:22 PM
The club has shown that it is willing to be bold and ready to take risks in these difficult times. It would of been easy for the club to rest on it's laurells and pick Baker

Baker?

Dogmatic
19-09-2011, 12:23 PM
Good Apointment, James Hird was full of praise for him and Harley would have spent a fair chunk of time with him at Geelong so he seems very well respected and credentialled.

Now that it is done, i feel a bit bad for Leon Cameron.

LostDoggy
19-09-2011, 12:25 PM
Baker?

Leon Cameron's nick name is 'Baker'

The Underdog
Leon Cameron's nick name is 'Baker'

Thanks, didn't know that

LostDoggy
Good Apointment, James Hird was full of praise for him and Harley would have spent a fair chunk of time with him at Geelong so he seems very well respected and credentialled.

Now that it is done, i feel a bit bad for Leon Cameron.

If he is as good as being reported then he will have his day very soon.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-09-2011, 12:26 PM
Baker?

Leon Cameron's nickname.

hujsh
19-09-2011, 12:27 PM
He does meet the 'refresh' criteria and he must have done something impressive to knock Leon off the top of the pile so I'm somewhat happy (if still a bit indifferent) with the appointment. Maybe hiring a senior coach without AFL experience will go down as one of those genius moves that everyone copies in 3-5 years time.

Well done to him, now get us a premiership please.

Sedat
19-09-2011, 12:27 PM
All that is left is for Fantasia to be given his marching orders and for McCartney to be given the resources to get the best out of his group.
With any luck, now that the head coaching role has been finalised hopefully all other aspects of our footy dept are reviewed with a fine tooth comb.

The Underdog
19-09-2011, 12:28 PM
With any luck, now that the head coaching rolke has been finalised hopefully all other aspects of footy operations are reviewed with a fine tooth comb.

I would have thought appointment of a list manager would be of pretty high importance.

LostDoggy
19-09-2011, 12:31 PM
With any luck, now that the head coaching rolke has been finalised hopefully all other aspects of footy operations are reviewed with a fine tooth comb.

Some of the reports I've been hearing is that this guy is a serious problem down at the club. If the reports are to be believed, it is astounding that this man is still employed.

stefoid
19-09-2011, 12:31 PM
Ocean Grove president Geoff Cunningham was reserves coach to McCartney when he joined the "Grubbers" in 1993, and remembers him immediately "sorting the sheep from the goats".
The qualities Cunningham recalls keep coming up with all who have encountered him. "He put a lot of one-on-one time into players. He was insistent on winning the contested situation in-close, the man-on-man. If you went against the gameplan he was hard as nails."
Harley says his black-and-white approach equates to fairness. "The most important part of any sort of teaching is the follow-up, and he would put hours and hours into you." He sees the McCartney philosophy as essentially old school: win your own contest, and never, ever give up. "If you're not willing to relish the contest, you won't survive too long under any regime that Macca's involved in."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/mccartney-the-selfmade-coach-20110430-1e25z.html#ixzz1YMCwljDN

I dont think a new coach that is not intimate with a list will come in and sack droves of players, especially not in a reputedly thin draft. I think there are a few players, however, who will have exactly 12 months to impress the new coach...

LostDoggy
19-09-2011, 12:35 PM
Surprised yet Happy and excited. Welcome aboard Brendan.

kruder
19-09-2011, 12:35 PM
I was suprised he wasn't linked earlier as mid year everyone had him down as a senior coach.

It looks like the process was legit and thats all we can ask for.

Good luck Brendan!

LostDoggy
19-09-2011, 12:37 PM
Very happy with this appointment - hope everyone gets right behind him

Bulldog Revolution
19-09-2011, 12:37 PM
Very, very interesting development

I really like his CV.

Murphy'sLore
19-09-2011, 12:39 PM
All sounds very impressive. Feeling a bit excited now... Anyone know if he's got a nickname?? :)

always right
19-09-2011, 12:40 PM
All sounds very impressive. Feeling a bit excited now... Anyone know if he's got a nickname?? :)

Macca:) what else?

macca
19-09-2011, 12:40 PM
Neld and Mc are both premeriship assistant coaches from Geelong. Mc has the experience just hope he gets the support and structure to 'refresh'.

LostDoggy
19-09-2011, 12:41 PM
Don't know that much about this guy but must say that I am happy that the club appears to have done their homework and chosen the "best" guy for the job, and not just handed the position to one of our favourite sons. Interesting to see how the assistants pan out - will they be happy to stay or not?

The Underdog
19-09-2011, 12:50 PM
We might need to keep him out of the sun...have we got room on the list for a sunscreen monitor for pre-season and trips to Perth?

LostDoggy
19-09-2011, 12:50 PM
Yep good decision, the guy has served a long apprenticeship and has seen how successful clubs operate, hopefully this will be a huge turning point for our club. Fully support the decision.

Murphy'sLore
19-09-2011, 12:56 PM
Macca:) what else?

Oh come on, Woofers, surely we can do better than that? I guess we'll need to get to know him first.

Mofra
19-09-2011, 12:59 PM
That article certainly fills me with confidence, as does the fact we've picked an outsider despite what the bookies said.

Loved this bit:

Harley says his black-and-white approach equates to fairness. "The most important part of any sort of teaching is the follow-up, and he would put hours and hours into you." He sees the McCartney philosophy as essentially old school: win your own contest, and never, ever give up. "If you're not willing to relish the contest, you won't survive too long under any regime that Macca's involved in."

Mofra
19-09-2011, 01:02 PM
I think there are a few players, however, who will have exactly 12 months to impress the new coach...
Yep - and that is overwhelmingly a positive.

He seems to be someone who preaches adherence to the gameplan too which tends to help a group perform to a higher level than the sum of their abilities.

bornadog
19-09-2011, 01:02 PM
Without knowing anything about him as a coach, his appointment gives me confidence the process was legitimate and the club has appointed the man they believe is the best candidate.

Good luck Brendan.

This.

Press conference at 1pm

w3design
19-09-2011, 01:03 PM
Good, brave move by the Dogs..... Love it.

always right
19-09-2011, 01:04 PM
Oh come on, Woofers, surely we can do better than that? I guess we'll need to get to know him first.

Lennon?

The Coon Dog
19-09-2011, 01:07 PM
This from Sam Landsberger on Twitter:

@SamLandsberger
Brendan McCartney's family will be rapt. Very, very passionate Bulldogs fans. Some of which are often spotted at training.

bornadog
19-09-2011, 01:10 PM
This from Sam Landsberger on Twitter:

@SamLandsberger
Brendan McCartney's family will be rapt. Very, very passionate Bulldogs fans. Some of which are often spotted at training.

Fantastic!!

LostDoggy
19-09-2011, 01:23 PM
Brave appointment, definitely fulfills the 'fresh voice' criteria. Looking forward to his first few moves as senior coach.

Ozza
19-09-2011, 01:27 PM

Good luck Brendan.

You've summed up my position also.

Guido
19-09-2011, 01:28 PM
Found this article from 8 years ago (scraping the bottom of the barrel for info lol) discussing Ocean Grove, Neeld and McCartney.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/09/13/1063341809812.html

Only real relevance to our man were these paragraphs:

"Until 1993, when the club reached its first grand final, it was renowned for rolling over in September. But since that day, when they lost to Barwon Heads, the Grubbers have never missed the final match of the Bellarine league season, winning seven premierships at 10 attempts, with three of those flags considered to have been pinched.

In 1997, the Grubbers snuffed out Anglesea in driving rain with superior application and tactical nous. The victory sealed the Grubbers' fourth consecutive flag under coach Brendan McCartney, who left to join the match committee at Richmond before moving on to Geelong. Ocean Grove insiders regard McCartney as the main figure behind the club's rise from mediocrity."

Doc26
19-09-2011, 01:30 PM
Congratulations to Brendan on the appointment.

He will have a lot on his plate in the off season, starting now. Hopefully he can quickly get in the mind of Brian and turn him around.

LostDoggy
19-09-2011, 01:32 PM
Good.
The fact that he hasn't play AFL is a complete non-issue for me (and in most over-seas sports) and i wasn't too keen on Cameron.

GVGjr
19-09-2011, 01:54 PM
The Rocket is going to *!*!*!*!ing explode

Why would this upset Rocket?

LostDoggy
19-09-2011, 01:58 PM

This related to froum poster 'The Rocket' who was strongly opposed to McCartney's candidacy based on his lack of playing experience.

Remi Moses
19-09-2011, 02:07 PM
Hope It's an improvement on his work with Wings:cool:
Gutsy appointment, having not played .
Good luck Brendan

bornadog
19-09-2011, 02:10 PM
From twitter Emma Quayle

Met some coaches from the New York Jets earlier this year and even they were raving about Brendon McCartney! Very pleased he has his chance.

jasopan
19-09-2011, 02:11 PM
All the best McCartney :)
Can't wait to see how we go next year!

Chicago1
19-09-2011, 02:11 PM
I'm very glad with the choice from what I've read about him. I'm glad we went outside of the club for a coach. Anyone who can keep Year 7 students under control is OK with me. :D

Scraggers
19-09-2011, 02:19 PM
I'm very ho-hum about the decision ...

This is going to sound a bit silly, but the only reason I"m glad its not Leon Cameron is it shows the process was dinkum. In some ways I feel sorry for Leon as it was considered 'his job to lose'.

Is McCartney a better coach than Rocket Eade ... time will tell; and as a loyal Bulldog supporter I will reserve judgement until McCartney is given a chance to prove himself.

(as a side note, I'm stoked his family are Bulldog supporters.)

bornadog
19-09-2011, 02:22 PM
Press Conference-

* Three year deal

* Sees himself as a teacher and developer of people

* There's alot that's right about this club, and we'll use this as a platform to build success

* Not a refresh, its a combination of refresh and rebuild

* Garlick says Brendan has outstanding experience and presented well at the interviews

Didn't say much else.

The Underdog
19-09-2011, 02:24 PM

This related to froum poster 'The Rocket' who was strongly opposed to McCartney's candidacy based on his lack of playing experience.

Yes, was referring to poster The Rocket who was very stridently anti-McCartney on the "Our Next Coach" thread due to his lack of AFL playing experience. Sorry should have been clearer.

The Coon Dog
19-09-2011, 02:29 PM
During the presser McCartney was asked if he was approached by the club or applied. His response, 'I was approached & I'm so glad I was approached as I really wanted to coach the Western Bulldogs'.

Guess you wouldn't expect him to say anything other, but it was nice to hear.

LostDoggy
19-09-2011, 02:34 PM
Good Luck McCartney and glad to have you aboard. The club seems to have gone outside what was expected and very glad the family are bulldog supporters !!!

bornadog
19-09-2011, 02:39 PM
Press Conference here (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/123688/default.aspx)

The Western Bulldogs today announced the appointment of Brendan McCartney as the Club’s Senior Coach.

The Board made the decision last night following the recommendation by the Coaching Selection Committee.

McCartney has committed to the Western Bulldogs for three years.

Awarded the AFL Assistant Coach of the Year in 2010, McCartney brings 22 years coaching experience to the Club, 14 at AFL level.

His impressive Coaching pedigree includes 11 years as the Senior Assistant Coach at Geelong; two years Development Coach at Richmond Football Club and one year as Assistant Coach at Essendon Football Club, from which he comes to us from.

During his 11 years as the Senior Assistant Coach at Geelong Football Club, McCartney was involved in two Premierships, two night Premierships and experienced three Grand finals.

In a remarkable reflection of his capacity to nurture talent, McCartney worked with nine All Australians and two Brownlow Medallists during his stint at Geelong.

“Brendan’s experience, leadership, technical capacity, values and integrity shone through-out the robust and intensive selection process started by the Club four weeks ago,” Western Bulldogs Chief Executive Simon Garlick said today.

“There is no coincidence that Brendan has been associated with premierships wherever he has gone - he is an outstanding, competitive individual who knows how to win”.

“I am very honoured by my appointment,” McCartney said today.

“I can’t wait to get into this, and I can’t wait for us to confirm our place as a footy club that is respected, admired and feared”.

McCartney, highly regarded within the industry, comes with an impressive endorsement from former colleagues including James Hird.

I can't imagine there's a better coach in Australia in the way he develops players and teaches them to play football. I'm surprised someone like that hasn't had a chance at senior level, because in my time in footy I don't think I've met a better coach.

BIO

Brendan McCartney - Western Bulldogs Senior Coach

22 years coaching football — 14 years coaching at AFL level
11 years (2000-2010) as Senior Assistant Coach to Mark Thompson at Geelong which included two Premierships from three grand finals as well as two night Premierships.
Worked closely with 9 All-Australians and 2 Brownlow medallists at Geelong Football Club
2 years (1998-1999) as Development Coach at Richmond Football Club
4 consecutive Premierships at Ocean Grove Football Club in the Bellarine Football League (1993-1996)
1 year as Assistant Coach at Essendon Football Club, from which he comes to us from (2011)
AFL Assistant Coach of the Year 2010

bornadog
19-09-2011, 02:43 PM
Geelong over the past 8 years have been in three Grand finals, 3 Prelims, a semi. Hopefully he can bring some of this success to us.

w3design
19-09-2011, 02:48 PM

What about B-Mac or Big Mac or Big M....:)

LostDoggy
19-09-2011, 02:53 PM
Halfway between a refresh and a rebuild.. we are really getting technical now! :)

bulldogsman
19-09-2011, 02:57 PM
Thought it was Leon's job for sure, well done by the club. A good surprise :)

stefoid
19-09-2011, 03:12 PM
From twitter Emma Quayle

Met some coaches from the New York Jets earlier this year and even they were raving about Brendon McCartney! Very pleased he has his chance.

the New York Jets? wtf???

Mantis
19-09-2011, 03:14 PM
Happy with this decision.

Seems to be humbled by our decision to appoint him coach and his background shows him to be a guy who gets results.

He has a massive job to get us going again so hopefully he surrounds himself with people who get us on the improve.

BulldogBelle
19-09-2011, 03:16 PM
Congrats to McCartney on his appointment. Looking forward to seeing our new coach in action. :)

Mofra
19-09-2011, 03:16 PM
During the presser McCartney was asked if he was approached by the club or applied. His response, 'I was approached & I'm so glad I was approached as I really wanted to coach the Western Bulldogs'.

Guess you wouldn't expect him to say anything other, but it was nice to hear.
In the video he seems to refer to "us" and "our" quite comfortably - that bit doesn't look coached. I guess it is easier to talk about "us" when you've been a supporter.

LostDoggy
19-09-2011, 03:20 PM

Really don't understand how they know him, but they are a very 'talkative' and aggressive coaching staff. Definitely not shy

bornadog
19-09-2011, 03:26 PM

Really don't understand how they know him, but they are a very 'talkative' and aggressive coaching staff. Definitely not shy

A lot of coaches go overseas to see how coaching and sports departments are run. No doubt he has been over to see the Jets.

Chicago1
19-09-2011, 03:33 PM
Friendly with the New York Jets? Well, I guess I now have one thing against him. :p

the banker
19-09-2011, 03:42 PM
Now that its been made, I am excited about the appointment.

It will be very interesting to see what player assessments he makes and what he can get out out all the players that are confusing and frustrating us.... Higgins, Grant, Stack, Hill, Lake, Minson. How he sees Cross and Boyd.

Welcome and good luck Brendan, I hope you can build a strong support team that will get the dogs challenging again.

Remi Moses
19-09-2011, 03:52 PM
With Lennon and Harrison unavailable, maybe Starr as an assistant?
Like an apology for Mull of Kintyre McCartney!Hopefully Heather Mills isn't hanging around the club, good move dumping that crackpot.

westdog54
19-09-2011, 03:56 PM
Not unhappy with the call. Shows at least that the 'process' was followed and it wasn't a jobs for the boys scenario.

Not fazed in the slightest by the fact that he hasn't played football at the highest level.

Firstly, Matthew Primus, Michael Voss and Matthew Knights all played football at the highest level. Secondly, you look at the coaches of the top 4. With the exception of Chris Scott, they've all been out of the game as players for so long that its almost a completely different game now, particularly Malthouse. I really don't understand the fuss about having played the game.

I'm interested in his ability to coach, lead and motivate, not how well he can play the game.

Evel
19-09-2011, 03:57 PM
Quite happy with the appointment, his credentials seem to stack up. Hopefully he can get similar results with us.

The New York Jets connection may have come from his time at Geelong. Aren't they the team Ben Graham went to punt for?

Look forward to hearing Brendan's plans in greater detail in the not too distant future.

craigsahibee
19-09-2011, 04:10 PM
It's about time we had a ranga take control.

Unlike the last ranga to be appointed to the top job (Julia), I'm sure Brendan will be brilliant in this role.

bornadog
19-09-2011, 04:18 PM
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/243596.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/243600.jpg

Greystache
19-09-2011, 04:18 PM
http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2011/09/19/1226140/907555-brendan-mccartney.jpg

1eyedog
19-09-2011, 04:46 PM
He looks like a pollie or a retired cop!

I don't know much about him but my only concern is his lack of diversity in his role as a assistant. While his affiliates have been very successful he has spent a long, long time with Bomber. Don't know if this is good or not?

I am impressed by his seemingly uncompromising attitude. I think this is what we need.

One thing I can say is that Ocean Grove were feared in the BFL. I played at Newcomb from the age of 16 to 21 and the Grubbers really dominated from U16s all the way through to Seniors for all those years. Looks like they continued after I moved away from Geelong. Very strong club albeit in a relatively weak competition (the GFL and GDFL are much stronger). .

The Bulldogs Bite
19-09-2011, 04:47 PM
Very happy with this decision. Sounds like he's exactly what we need.

Curly5
19-09-2011, 04:54 PM
Let's not look for negatives where there may be none of importance. Lack of AFL playing experience is not a disadvantage when you take into account we have had 2 premiership players as coaches who couldn't get us over the line.

I was surprised to learn he's 50, older than Rocket was when he took over.

I wouldn't have been unhappy with Cameron, but this is definitely a brave appointment by the club so McCartney has obvously got a lot going for him. And we went after him, he didn't apply.

Congratulations to Brendan on the appointment.

He will have a lot on his plate in the off season, starting now. Hopefully he can quickly get in the mind of Brian and turn him around.

This is very important. I read that he likes to encourage players on and off the field, and often has them around to his home. Brian, keep your phone turned on.

Curly5
19-09-2011, 04:55 PM
Ayce Cordy has hairy legs.
We could call him Spider. :D

MrMahatma
19-09-2011, 05:00 PM
Nickname: Jose? Mourhino? Never played at the highest level either. Hopefully brings similar success.

Good luck to Brendan. Hopefully the right choice. Another first time coach. That's 3 of our last 4.

LostDoggy
19-09-2011, 05:12 PM
Ayce Cordy has hairy legs.
We could call him Spider. :D

My God, he's Teen Wolf :eek:

vho
19-09-2011, 05:18 PM

It will be very interesting to see what player assessments he makes and what he can get out out all the players that are confusing and frustrating us.... Higgins, Grant, Stack, Hill, Lake, Minson. How he sees Cross and Boyd.

Welcome and good luck Brendan, I hope you can build a strong support team that will get the dogs challenging again.

In regards to the contract extensions of Cross and Boyd and to the lesser extent the group of 8 players (Easton Wood, Tom Williams, Tom Liberatore, Mitch Wallis, Liam Picken, Jarrad Grant, Jayden Schofield and Jason Tutt) that committed to the bulldogs near the end of August.
Wouldn't it be in the best interest of Brendan McCarthy and the Western Bulldogs to appoint the new coach first then start negotiating contracts with the players? (especially concerning Cross and Boyd).

LostDoggy
19-09-2011, 05:21 PM
The younger group are your core group who're going to be taking the club forward. negotiating with them early is paramount as any new coach coming in wouldnt be looking to move them on.

Maddog37
19-09-2011, 05:28 PM
In regards to the contract extensions of Cross and Boyd and to the lesser extent the group of 8 players (Easton Wood, Tom Williams, Tom Liberatore, Mitch Wallis, Liam Picken, Jarrad Grant, Jayden Schofield and Jason Tutt) that committed to the bulldogs near the end of August.
Wouldn't it be in the best interest of Brendan McCarthy and the Western Bulldogs to appoint the new coach first then start negotiating contracts with the players? (especially concerning Cross and Boyd).

Yes, we should have delayed signing them and let other clubs chat to them whilst we left them dangling in neverland............

vho
19-09-2011, 05:29 PM
The younger group are your core group who're going to be taking the club forward. negotiating with them early is paramount as any new coach coming in wouldnt be looking to move them on.

Agree with that, hence why i strongly noted Cross and Boyd at the end. Do you think they pushed really hard to get an extension before the new coach was appointed because they were so comfortable with Eade?

Mofra
19-09-2011, 05:31 PM
Agree with that, hence why i strongly noted Cross and Boyd at the end. Do you think they pushed really hard to get an extension before the new coach was appointed because they were so comfortable with Eade?
Compared to other clubs, they were signed quite late in the year.

stefoid
19-09-2011, 05:40 PM
edit: teen wolf, ha ha

Sockeye Salmon
19-09-2011, 05:55 PM
Leon Cameron just became the new Brian Royal

Bulldog4life
19-09-2011, 06:01 PM
Happy with the decision. Bad luck Leon. I thought he was over the line.

bornadog
19-09-2011, 06:14 PM

At the Sutton Medal, Cross and Boyd will feature high up in the votes and Boyd may well get an All Australian tonight.

So whats your point with this post?

Cyberdoggie
19-09-2011, 06:30 PM
I've got to say he looks like a hard man.

Being a ranga probably adds to that, perhaps there's some fire under the hood, but he looks fresh and seasoned at the same time.

Very pleased we picked him over Cameron and looking forward to seeing what he can do.

LostDoggy
19-09-2011, 06:36 PM
Geelong over the past 8 years have been in three Grand finals, 3 Prelims, a semi. Hopefully he can bring some of this success to us.

Hopefully the GF part. Had enough semis/prelims ;) :P

Happy with this decision.

Seems to be humbled by our decision to appoint him coach and his background shows him to be a guy who gets results.

He has a massive job to get us going again so hopefully he surrounds himself with people who get us on the improve.

I think a bloke with no ego is exactly the guy we need. The fact he hasn't played at AFL/VFL level is another bonus in my view: he'd have less preconceptions about positions, playing styles, etc. and would be all about the game plan.

I've got to say he looks like a hard man.

Being a ranga probably adds to that, perhaps there's some fire under the hood, but he looks fresh and seasoned at the same time.

Very pleased we picked him over Cameron and looking forward to seeing what he can do.

He looks like the teacher at school you wouldn't say boo to. In fact, he looks a helluva lot like one of my Chief Petty Officers from my Navy days…

Chicago1
19-09-2011, 06:51 PM
From an article about today's announcement:

McCartney’s ability to develop individuals from top to bottom was the deal clincher.

When asked about his trademark, he replied: ''Developer of people’’.

I really like that answer. I guess that's the teacher in me. I'm feeling pretty good about this appointment. Pretty, pretty good.:p

Sedat
19-09-2011, 06:58 PM
I'm feeling pretty good about this appointment. Pretty, pretty good.:pThanks Larry :D

Chicago1
19-09-2011, 07:02 PM
Thanks Larry :D

Boy, that was quick. Only seven minutes! :p

lemmon
19-09-2011, 07:14 PM
Interesting how big a step away it is from the Eade style. Ive always seen Eade as a real match day strategist and reader of the game, whereas all the talk about McCartney is as a man manager and teacher, guess it reflects the state of the list as much as anything else. Time will tell how well it works but they are fair shoes to fill. Good luck to him

ledge
19-09-2011, 07:15 PM
Okay so does he know to be a coach of the Bulldogs he has to be a WOOF contributer?
Is anyone on Woof planning to have a chat to him?
This must have been one of the pre requisites of getting the job you would have thought.

chef
19-09-2011, 07:16 PM
Probably interesting how big a step away it is from the Eade style. Ive always seen Eade as a real match day strategist and reader of the game, whereas all the talk about McCartney is as a man manager and teacher, guess it reflects the state of the list as much as anything else. Time will tell how well it works but they are fair shoes to fill. Good luck to him

According to Hird this is one of McCartney's strengths.

GVGjr
19-09-2011, 07:17 PM
It's an interesting appointment and I wonder if the state of our playing list gave McCartney an edge over Cameron?

I think this has been a very good appointment by the club and there might also be some lesser roles filled as well.

Nuggety Back Pocket
19-09-2011, 08:04 PM
You've summed up my position also.

With just 1 premiership in 86 years in the VFL/ AFL competition the club has little to lose by this appointment, which IMO is a good one. It follows strong recommendations from two powerful clubs in Geelong and Essendon.The Bulldogs hasn't enjoyed a happy couple of seasons ,the Akermanis fallout, injuries to our two best players in Cooney and Lake, the losses of two fine young players in Harbrow and Ward, the Board rumblings and the ongoing recurring debt, has created a great degree of uncertainty about the Club's future.
McCartney's appointment is good news an encouraging sign of moving forward with great gusto.

Greystache
19-09-2011, 08:04 PM
It's an interesting appointment and I wonder if the state of our playing list gave McCartney an edge over Cameron?

I think this has been a very good appointment by the club and there might also be some lesser roles filled as well.

What do you mean there might be some lesser roles filled? Do you think he'll bring some of his own people?

w3design
19-09-2011, 08:24 PM
A really positive ( dare I say courageous) appointment. I like what I hear.

It felt as though appointing Cameron would have been more ' business as usual' . This feels like a whole new leap into the unknown. Hope like hell it's a wonderful ride!

AndrewP6
19-09-2011, 08:28 PM

Paul?

ledge
19-09-2011, 08:31 PM
Big Mac?

AndrewP6
19-09-2011, 08:34 PM
I'm very ho-hum about the decision ...

This is going to sound a bit silly, but the only reason I"m glad its not Leon Cameron is it shows the process was dinkum. In some ways I feel sorry for Leon as it was considered 'his job to lose'.

Is McCartney a better coach than Rocket Eade ... time will tell; and as a loyal Bulldog supporter I will reserve judgement until McCartney is given a chance to prove himself.

(as a side note, I'm stoked his family are Bulldog supporters.)

This sums it up for me too...

BornInDroopSt'54
19-09-2011, 08:35 PM

Our list has a lot of talented under-performing individuals such as those you list. If he is the developer of the individual then he could turn us around, dare I say it, like Rocket turned us around, getting the best out of Gilbee et al. The big thing is does he have an effective game plan that he can sell to the players and to which he can get them to adhere?
For better or worse, I go by my instincts, and he looks the goods, tough and serious and a thinker who can relate to people. Being an optimist, I'm EXCITED about Brendan. I can hope he is the next John Kennedy.

Rocco Jones
19-09-2011, 08:42 PM
I'm very happy with the appointment but what would I (we) know? What we do know is that he has great pedigree as an assistant, seems very switched on, we didn't just have a boat race for the gig and we didn't just go for a safe option.

GVGjr
19-09-2011, 08:43 PM
What do you mean there might be some lesser roles filled? Do you think he'll bring some of his own people?

I'm probably thinking along the lines of we might now have the money to appoint a list manager and maybe some extra into the recruiting team

ledge
19-09-2011, 08:53 PM
I'm probably thinking along the lines of we might now have the money to appoint a list manager and maybe some extra into the recruiting team

Or will it go into reducing our debt?
The AFL has insisted we use the money they give us into a list manager and football department.

w3design
19-09-2011, 08:53 PM
I liked what i heard today very good appointment for our list .Hoped he watched the willy game some of our kids played very well.
Hope Panos gets a go in the seniors next year.

ledge
19-09-2011, 09:01 PM
My only question with a new coach is does he just say what the club wants him to say to get a gig ?
An old coach will say what he wants.
The reason i mention this is because experienced and wanted coaches come with conditions as in who they want as assistants etc.
A brand new coach might be told you got the job but these are your assistants.

Ghost Dog
19-09-2011, 09:19 PM
Well done Bulldogs.
Just looking at the video, you can tell he's the kind of bloke you would be interested to meet.
I have a good feeling about him. Certainly, with a group of quite young blokes that need development and encouragement, a teacher type fits the bill perfectly.
How old is he by the way?

azabob
19-09-2011, 09:22 PM
Well done Bulldogs.
Just looking at the video, you can tell he's the kind of bloke you would be interested to meet.
I have a good feeling about him. Certainly, with a group of quite young blokes that need development and encouragement, a teacher type fits the bill perfectly.

Around 50 I would think. Been coaching for 22 years.

Pickenitup
19-09-2011, 09:24 PM
Anyone know if Fanatsia will keep his job i have heard from a souce he will be sacked.
I am pretty happy about Brendan i had my Doubts but listening to him Today he has won me over.

LostDoggy
19-09-2011, 09:42 PM
Great appointment. Comes across very well and i like his attitude.
This is certainly a refresh and is what Garlick said we would get.

I just want to see him put that real hard edge to the way we play and to weed out those who arent up to scratch.

Do you reckon Djerkurra may not feel quite as positive about this appointment, given that Geelong gave him limited opportunities when McCartney was at the Cattery with him?

Mantis
19-09-2011, 09:45 PM

Pretty sure he is 46.

ledge
19-09-2011, 09:53 PM
Anyone know if Fanatsia will keep his job i have heard from a souce he will be sacked.
I am pretty happy about Brendan i had my Doubts but listening to him Today he has won me over.

Not to sure about him being sacked he was on the committee to pick the coach.

Ghost Dog
19-09-2011, 09:53 PM
Pretty sure he is 46.

It's a good age. Young enough so players can relate to him. Old enough to have plenty of experience.

azabob
19-09-2011, 10:02 PM
Around 50 I would think. Been coaching for 22 years.

Pretty sure he is 46.

Ok. Would Luke Dahlhaus have played under him?

Post 4 in this thread the article says he is 50.

I can't see how he would've coached Luke D

Ghost Dog
19-09-2011, 10:03 PM
Not to sure about him being sacked he was on the committee to pick the coach.

Wishful thinking I guess.

Mantis
19-09-2011, 10:06 PM
Post 4 in this thread the article says he is 50.

I stand corrected.

I find it strange that one of the reasons we were given for the non-renewal of Rocket as coach was that it was felt that he may not have the fire in the belly in a few years time due to his age (he's 53), but we are happy to hire someone just 3 years younger... Go figure. :confused:

azabob
19-09-2011, 10:13 PM
I stand corrected.

I find it strange that one of the reasons we were given for the non-renewal of Rocket as coach was that it was felt that he may not have the fire in the belly in a few years time due to his age (he's 53), but we are happy to hire someone just 3 years younger... Go figure. :confused:

I hear what you are saying; perhaps they also thought after seven years would Eade still be fresh and energized after ten-eleven years in total.

Back on topic is McCatney one of the oldest first time coach?

anfo27
19-09-2011, 10:39 PM
I'm rapt with this appointment and out of all the new coaches he was the one I wanted. Have a really good feeling about Macca and everything I have red or heard about him has left me thinking 'he is the man'. Welcome & good luck Macca you've got a big job in front of you.

LostDoggy
19-09-2011, 10:41 PM
A suprise Dogs hierarchy, let us be the judge at the end of next season. Good luck McCatney and enjoy being a senior coach.

Maddog37
19-09-2011, 10:44 PM
I stand corrected.

But it is a refresh Mantis which keeps thing interesting for fans and players alike.

GVGjr
19-09-2011, 11:01 PM
I stand corrected.

It's a good point you have made but I think I can answer this from some things I have witnessed in the work place. It's often around the perception that the manager (in this instance the coach) has the ability to not only embrace change but still be able to set and reset the course during changing and difficult times.

McCartney might only be 3 years younger than Eade, and certainly older than all the other guys interviewed, but obviously he has impressed the club with his football philosophies, his man management skills and his enthusiasm to get the team back into contention.

He can't do it all on his own so I hope that we can also put in place a strong support team.

If enthusiasm, professionalism and sheer delight in being given the opportunity to coach the side count for anything he should make an immediate impression.

Ghost Dog
19-09-2011, 11:18 PM
It's a good thing we got who we wanted, not who we were forced to get, owing to other coaches being snapped up.

Dry Rot
20-09-2011, 12:47 AM
On paper, it looks like a good choice. Bombers fans have a lot of good things to say about him NB player development and demanding hardness.

Will be interesting to see what he can do with players like Grant and Hill.

FrediKanoute
20-09-2011, 01:17 AM
On paper, it looks like a good choice. Bombers fans have a lot of good things to say about him NB player development and demanding hardness.

My thoughts exactly, I wonder what he will do with Hill and Grant and whether he can turn them around. I hope so because to me both are extremely talented individuals who if focused in the right manner will add a consderably amount to our side.

On Brendan's appointment, I am pleased. not worried about him not being a previous AFL player. He's spent 15 years in the modern AFL system, a large part of that with teams playing in the fnals and with successful players. Our guys need coaching; not just strategically, but coaching in the sense of professional/personal development. If he can do this I think we'll go a long way.

Exciting times!

PS: I do feel a little for Cameron. I suspect that had 2011 gone according to plan, Eade would have hung around for another couple of years and we would then have welcomed Cameron back to the kennel with open arms. Oh well, its funny how things turn out!

Ghost Dog
20-09-2011, 07:43 AM
My thoughts exactly, I wonder what he will do with Hill and Grant and whether he can turn them around. I hope so because to me both are extremely talented individuals who if focused in the right manner will add a consderably amount to our side.

Watched Josh in the Werribbee game and he still looks like he enjoys his footy
If this guy is as good a teacher as they say, I think we can keep Hill.
his skills are good, marking is good, speed is ok but he lacks the aggression at the top level
to cement his spot. I like the way McCartney says that we are doing a lot right, and I feel this can be applied to Josh. Here's hoping the ekers have no place to hide in our team.

ReLoad
20-09-2011, 07:46 AM
Good appointment, and looking forward to his style already.

but I'm going to ask the tough question:
What is going on with his nose?

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
20-09-2011, 08:57 AM
Good appointment, and looking forward to his style already.

but I'm going to ask the tough question:
What is going on with his nose?

I was wondering that too but didn't want to appear shallow

Mantis
20-09-2011, 09:58 AM

Probably the same as what Longmire did with Everitt.... SFA.

At some point the individual has to take a bit of responsibility for their performance.

Desipura
20-09-2011, 10:07 AM
Probably the same as what Longmire did with Everitt.... SFA.

At some point the individual has to take a bit of responsibility for their performance.

You are probably right however I hope this does not mean we are going to be conservative in the trade period as well as pruning our list.

Mofra
20-09-2011, 10:53 AM
Hope Panos gets a go in the seniors next year.
McCartney seems to know our list pretty well (after 12 years as an assistant, he'd want to).
Weighing up a kid with two years' worth of development as a rookie upgrade (we'd be sacrificing pick 587 in the draft proper) I'm leaning towards an upgrade, personally.

Maddog37
20-09-2011, 11:28 AM
The list decisions may well be put back twelve months to give him a chance to work his magic on the existing players. That is what they did at the Bombres ths year.

Alot has been said about his focus on contested ball and going hard at the man etc. For players like Hill and Grant this will be a massive test. I think this is why Mackie is sometimes on the outer at the Cats. Very talented and attacking but not hard at the contest naturally.

The Coon Dog
20-09-2011, 11:57 AM
I think this is why Mackie is sometimes on the outer at the Cats. Very talented and attacking but not hard at the contest naturally.

No wonder Scotty Clayton rated him so highly.

stefoid
20-09-2011, 12:20 PM
BulldogBrent posted this to BDF:

"Interesting info from SNF:

The Bulldogs confirmed highly rated and long serving assistant Brendan McCartney as Eade’s appointment on Monday.

The appointment didn’t go down as smoothly internally as Dogs officials wanted.

Caretaker coach Paul Williams didn’t turn up for work Whitten Oval after being told he had missed out on the top job.

Senior assistant and former Dogs player Brett Montgomery is understood to have left the Dogs home ground base as soon as he was told of McCartney’s appointment and that he had also missed out.

It is understood that hot favourite and former Dogs playing star Leon Cameron got told he had been overlooked very late on Sunday night, after the decision was made to appoint McCartney."

I hope German and Dean stay.

SydneyD
20-09-2011, 01:50 PM
Good luck to him -and i hope the club does well obviously -but ive got a massive issue with the fact that he has never played AFL . I think alot of supporters of various AFL clubs are being conned by these so called coaching gurus. These coaching gurus in AFL are virtually the same as swing coaching gurus in pro golf-guys who had very ordinary pro careers -but who are telling far superior players how to hit a golf ball -blokes like David Leadbetter , Butch Harmon etc. The great Lee Tevino summed it up properly -a journalist asked him would he have a lesson off one of these new swing gurus -and Lee said he would if one of them could have a round with him and actually beat him -otherwise why would he listen to them.

Thats my whole point -you take Higgins -alot you want him out the door -why would Shaun listen to a guy who has never played . Put that into a golfing perspective -if you were a scratch marker and you were hitting balls on the practise fairway and a 15 handicapper came up to and tried to start telling you how to hit it-would you listen to him -i wouldnt . but if someone who was on plus3 told you a few things -you would listen to him

Some of the no names who have conned their way into AFL Coaching-Damien Drum , Mark Neeld Chris Connoly -and what about Ross Lyon-a million a year-he must go around pinching himself -thinking this cant be for real-i reckon he would look at his bank statement every 5 minutes to make sure hes not dreaming

Supporters say why havent we had the ultimate success -it must be because of our coach or culture -what a load of bulldust -if we had Wayne Carey in the last 5 years -we would have a minium of 2 flags

The point im making is that there is alot of spin and bulldust in AFL -Just like there is in other sports where there is plenty of easy money to be divied up.

GVGjr
20-09-2011, 01:53 PM
A few snippets of information I have heard

Cameron's presentation to the committee made mention of how the Hawks paid him more than the Bulldogs.

McCartney has a wicked sense of humor but can go hard at the players who aren't responding.
A mate of mine who's in the coaches box for Essendon thinks we won't be out coached and that McCartney was an excellent choice.

The Underdog
20-09-2011, 02:01 PM
Good luck to him -and i hope the club does well obviously -but ive got a massive issue with the fact that he has never played AFL . I think alot of supporters of various AFL clubs are being conned by these so called coaching gurus. These coaching gurus in AFL are virtually the same as swing coaching gurus in pro golf-guys who had very ordinary pro careers -but who are telling far superior players how to hit a golf ball -blokes like David Leadbetter , Butch Harmon etc. The great Lee Tevino summed it up properly -a journalist asked him would he have a lesson off one of these new swing gurus -and Lee said he would if one of them could have a round with him and actually beat him -otherwise why would he listen to them.

Thats my whole point -you take Higgins -alot you want him out the door -why would Shaun listen to a guy who has never played . Put that into a golfing perspective -if you were a scratch marker and you were hitting balls on the practise fairway and a 15 handicapper came up to and tried to start telling you how to hit it-would you listen to him -i wouldnt . but if someone who was on plus3 told you a few things -you would listen to him

Some of the no names who have conned their way into AFL Coaching-Damien Drum , Mark Neeld Chris Connoly -and what about Ross Lyon-a million a year-he must go around pinching himself -thinking this cant be for real-i reckon he would look at his bank statement every 5 minutes to make sure hes not dreaming

Supporters say why havent we had the ultimate success -it must be because of our coach or culture -what a load of bulldust -if we had Wayne Carey in the last 5 years -we would have a minium of 2 flags

The point im making is that there is alot of spin and bulldust in AFL -Just like there is in other sports where there is plenty of easy money to be divied up.

Drum, Neeld, Connolly and Lyon all had AFL careers and did apprenticeships as assistant coaches. Lyon had his team in 3 GF's in 2 years which considering some of the players on that list almost constituted illusion. Al Clarkson was an ordinary AFL player and is a premiership coach.

All the word on McCartney is that he has the respect of the players under him and even the great James Hird sings his praises. Surely if players didn't listen to him, Tom Harley who played under him for ages wouldn't have recommended him

Why would Shaun Higgins listen to a guy who has never played AFL? Well just maybe he's a professional who'd like to learn & be successful.
As for your Wayne Carey line, do you really believe that?

LostDoggy
20-09-2011, 02:15 PM
Not sure how to compare an individual coach in golf on 1 aspect of that game to an afl team head coach.

Also I believe most NFL coaches have never played the game at the highest level. If they can manage egos in the NFL then afl is easy.

whythelongface
20-09-2011, 03:05 PM
You only need to look at the English premier league in regards to successful managers who have not played at the top level. Sir Alex Ferguson and arsene wenger are two that come to mind, both extremely successful and apparently very good managers of people, in particular developing younger players. I like the fact that the club has looked at personnel development as being one of the key attributes for our new coach.

Maddog37
20-09-2011, 03:41 PM

Lee Trevino was a first class nut job. Paddy Harrington changed coaches and won two majors.

You may be right but only time will tell.

Ghost Dog
20-09-2011, 03:45 PM
Drum, Neeld, Connolly and Lyon all had AFL careers and did apprenticeships as assistant coaches. Lyon had his team in 3 GF's in 2 years which considering some of the players on that list almost constituted illusion. Al Clarkson was an ordinary AFL player and is a premiership coach.

All the word on McCartney is that he has the respect of the players under him and even the great James Hird sings his praises. Surely if players didn't listen to him, Tom Harley who played under him for ages wouldn't have recommended him

Why would Shaun Higgins listen to a guy who has never played AFL? Well just maybe he's a professional who'd like to learn & be successful.
As for your Wayne Carey line, do you really believe that?

After this season, reserve the right to be more cautious from now on.
Will not be getting too confident in the abilities of Mr McCartney until we see some real changes and wins on the board. that being said, very glad to have him and really excited about next season.

what about the advantages of people who have not played?
Perhaps they will tend to focus more on the above the shoulders stuff. Screaming at players to do this and that is not much good when you have not invested serious time building up their confidence, getting to know their weak points mentally and showing them ways to learn and improve. Perhaps a former player / coach tends to emphasis the physical while the mental / sports psychology aspects get neglected. I'm just guessing, but maybe there are advantates being a coach who has not having played the game

Nuggety Back Pocket
20-09-2011, 03:49 PM
It's a good point you have made but I think I can answer this from some things I have witnessed in the work place. It's often around the perception that the manager (in this instance the coach) has the ability to not only embrace change but still be able to set and reset the course during changing and difficult times.

McCartney might only be 3 years younger than Eade, and certainly older than all the other guys interviewed, but obviously he has impressed the club with his football philosophies, his man management skills and his enthusiasm to get the team back into contention.

He can't do it all on his own so I hope that we can also put in place a strong support team.

If enthusiasm, professionalism and sheer delight in being given the opportunity to coach the side count for anything he should make an immediate impression.

I like you am delighted with the appointment of McCartney. My understanding from the inner sanctum was that"it wasn't a concern of Rodney's lack of fire in the belly being the reason for his non- appointment, as quoted by Mantis but for other reasons. Malthouse who is much older is still regarded as the best coach going around which supports the theory that age isn't any barrier. McCartney doesn't fit the mould of our more recent coaches but what we will get is a sound leader of men, a teacher and someone who will instil passion, intensity and a will to win into the team. This has to be good for our future.

SydneyD
20-09-2011, 04:58 PM
Will not be getting too confident in the abilities of Mr McCartney until we see some real changes and wins on the board. that being said, very glad to have him and really excited about next season.

Perhaps they will tend to focus more on the above the shoulders stuff. Screaming at players to do this and that is not much good when you have not invested serious time building up their confidence, getting to know their weak points mentally and showing them ways to learn and improve. Perhaps a former player / coach tends to emphasis the physical while the mental / sports psychology aspects get neglected. I'm just guessing, but maybe there are advantates being a coach who has not having played the game

Seriously i cant think of any advantage of a coach having never played . Right at this very moment do you think our players are inspired by a coach who has never played

Living up here in Sydney -i can remember when the Swans appointed Col Kinnear as coach-i think the only sporting prowess he had was that he was a wicketkeeper for Carlton in the district cricket ! -and it was a total unmitigated disaster. From memory he sacked Rod Carter -then because of the backlash -he reinstated him for a couple of token games .Just imagine with our club if we had a coach whos never played -and they want to tell blokes like say Dempsey or Bisset or Johny Jillard that their times up -give me a break

I hope it goes well -but i would much prefer someone who had a good playing record -what was wrong with Peter Dean for feck sake

Bulldog Joe
20-09-2011, 05:09 PM
I hope it goes well -but i would much prefer someone who had a good playing record -what was wrong with Peter Dean for feck sake

We need to get over the idea that you need to have played at the top level.

On that basis we could have perhaps appointed Jordan McMahon or Andrew McDougall.

I can't recall Peter Fortune running at the Olympics but he coached a certain Cathy Freeman ( I think she did ok)

It is not about being able to execute the skill as understand how the skill is mastered.

An old saying to think about.

"those who can do ....those who can't coach"

Doc26
20-09-2011, 05:13 PM
Good luck to him -and i hope the club does well obviously -but ive got a massive issue with the fact that he has never played AFL . I think alot of supporters of various AFL clubs are being conned by these so called coaching gurus.

We've had 55 plus years now of coaches who have played at the elite level. What's in the cupboard ? Why not try something different to the accepted 'norm' ? I see it as a brave call yet well considered.

Thats my whole point -you take Higgins -alot you want him out the door -why would Shaun listen to a guy who has never played.

Surely a better example could've been found than Shaun. Many would argue the tried and true coaches have failed in getting the most out of Shaun. Again, why not try something different to the accepted 'norm' ?

From what I've learnt and seen I'm comfortable with Brendan on board to give it a crack where for 55 plus years all others have failed to take home the prize we're longing for.

The Underdog
20-09-2011, 05:18 PM
Seriously i cant think of any advantage of a coach having never played . Right at this very moment do you think our players are inspired by a coach who has never played

Living up here in Sydney -i can remember when the Swans appointed Col Kinnear as coach-i think the only sporting prowess he had was that he was a wicketkeeper for Carlton in the district cricket ! -and it was a total unmitigated disaster. From memory he sacked Rod Carter -then because of the backlash -he reinstated him for a couple of token games .Just imagine with our club if we had a coach whos never played -and they want to tell blokes like say Dempsey or Bisset or Johny Jillard that their times up -give me a break

He's coached there for two (3?) years and the club didn't approach him to apply for the position. Maybe that tells you something.
Half our kids probably weren't aware that Rodney Eade played AFL for christ sake. I can understand players not listening because the coach sucks but not listening to a good coach because he didn't play AFL is ridiculous. He's spent 14 years involved in coaching top level AFL football, including involvement in 2 premierships and 3 GF's. Maybe that just might prove to be enough.

The Coon Dog
20-09-2011, 05:23 PM
If a player doesn't respond to a coach simply because he hasn't played the game at the highest level then its a cop out by that player & says more about them as a person/sportsman than the coach.

I, like the vast majority have no idea whether this is a good appointment or not, only time will tell.

Appointing someone just because their CV says they played at the highest level means they have ticked a box the other person hasn't, but there are many more boxes to be ticked than just that one.

I think about a battler in Peter Rohde & a champion in Royce Hart; both were awful coaches.

LostDoggy
20-09-2011, 05:25 PM
Seriously i cant think of any advantage of a coach having never played .
I can't think of a disadvantage either. Its coaching not playing.

Right at this very moment do you think our players are inspired by a coach who has never played
Excuse my language but thats a load of rubbish. As if the players are only inspired by someones resume.

Living up here in Sydney -i can remember when the Swans appointed Col Kinnear as coach-i think the only sporting prowess he had was that he was a wicketkeeper for Carlton in the district cricket ! -and it was a total unmitigated disaster. From memory he sacked Rod Carter -then because of the backlash -he reinstated him for a couple of token games .
Maybe one example of it not working, many others already stated where it has.

Just imagine with our club if we had a coach whos never played -and they want to tell blokes like say Dempsey or Bisset or Johny Jillard that their times up -give me a break
Not sure how you come up with this. We had Royce Hart sack a future brownlow winner and experienced coaches playing give club champions a year too many as well.
Don't need AFL playing experience to be able to judge and tell somone they are finished.

LongWait
20-09-2011, 05:29 PM
He's coached there for two (3?) years and the club didn't approach him to apply for the position. Maybe that tells you something.
Half our kids probably weren't aware that Rodney Eade played AFL for christ sake. I can understand players not listening because the coach sucks but not listening to a good coach because he didn't play AFL is ridiculous. He's spent 14 years involved in coaching top level AFL football, including involvement in 2 premierships and 3 GF's. Maybe that just might prove to be enough.

Alex Fasolo wears the famous 35 for Collingwood, yet Fasolo didn't know anything about Peter Daicos - he'd heard of him but that was all. Being a past player doesn't mean much to Gen Y kids.

LostDoggy
20-09-2011, 05:31 PM
Geez SydneyD. Should i have told my Geography teacher to stfu when at high school because he'd never been to Algeria? Sort of makes all books and second hand stories obsolete doesn't it?

For many years i've thought many of our players (rightly or wrongly) suffer from being mentally weak in crunch games. If B McC, as a teacher and motivater, can get into their headspace and change their thought patterns then i'm all for him.

Yet to hear a qualified voice speak ill of him.

Maddog37
20-09-2011, 05:35 PM

Peter, is that you?:D

SydneyD
20-09-2011, 05:53 PM

Geez SydneyD. Should i have told my Geography teacher to stfu when at high school because he'd never been to Algeria? Sort of makes all books and second hand stories obsolete doesn't it?

For many years i've thought many of our players (rightly or wrongly) suffer from being mentally weak in crunch games. If B McC, as a teacher and motivater, can get into their headspace and change their thought patterns then i'm all for him.

Yet to hear a qualified voice speak ill of him.

My final post on the matter-i wamt to take issue with a few of the posts here

You say our players are mentally weak in crunch games -that is just rubbish -i stand by my earlier comments -if we had Wayne Carey at CHF in last 5 years i say we have 2 or 3 p/cups in the trophy cabinet. I went to 2009 PF -for the 1st 20 minutes of last quater the ball was stuck in our forward line -Carey at chf -5 goal win.In 2008 the Max Rooke Brad Johnson incident -what was there 2 or 3 goals in game -Carey at chf -another certain win.

I agree with McCARTNEY-theres not much wrong with our club-weve had 1 crook year in about 6 -come pretty close and played some attractive football

Someone else said its been 55 years -as a long time suppoter let me say this -from the late 60s to the late 80s if you didnt have money you had no hope -and we along with Geelong and Melbourne and STKILDA etc didnt have any money -so you had no hope -so you can totally ignore that period . We had to sell Quinlan Dennis Collins etc just to keep the doors open etc.

yOU would think we had a playing track record like Freo how some supporters carry on-weve had one down year -alot of clubs do that are having a few near missesd

The Underdog
20-09-2011, 05:59 PM

You say our players are mentally weak in crunch games -that is just rubbish -i stand by my earlier comments -if we had Wayne Carey at CHF in last 5 years i say we have 2 or 3 p/cups in the trophy cabinet. I went to 2009 PF -for the 1st 20 minutes of last quater the ball was stuck in our forward line -Carey at chf -5 goal win.In 2008 the Max Rooke Brad Johnson incident -what was there 2 or 3 goals in game -Carey at chf -another certain win.

I thought you were talking about having Carey as coach.

bornadog
20-09-2011, 06:04 PM

I agree with McCARTNEY-theres not much wrong with our club-weve had 1 crook year in about 6 -come pretty close and played some attractive football

Someone else said its been 55 years -as a long time suppoter let me say this -from the late 60s to the late 80s if you didnt have money you had no hope -and we along with Geelong and Melbourne and STKILDA etc didnt have any money -so you had no hope -so you can totally ignore that period . We had to sell Quinlan Dennis Collins etc just to keep the doors open etc.

yOU would think we had a playing track record like Freo how some supporters carry on-weve had one down year -alot of clubs do that are having a few near missesd

McCartney may not have played AFL, but he certainly had athletic ability as he played FOOTBALL. There could be all sorts of reasons why he didn't make the elite level as a player. As a coach and assistant his track record is second to none.

LostDoggy
20-09-2011, 06:09 PM
I have no idea what you're talking about.

We'd probably have won 4 cups in the last ten years if we had Judd, Hall, Buckley, Scarlett, Hird and a few others also.

G-Mo77
20-09-2011, 06:09 PM
If a player doesn't respond to a coach simply because he hasn't played the game at the highest level then its a cop out by that player & says more about them as a person/sportsman than the coach.

Agree with this, it's an easy open spot on the list if this attitude rears it's ugly head.

LostDoggy
20-09-2011, 06:19 PM
Talking to some Essendon mates today and they're spewing that they lost him.

Also listening to all the new coaches on the radio over the last few days and ours seemed to speak much better than the other 2 who appeared nervous and rehearsed.
Not that we should judge a coach just on this but it just gave me a good feeling about him.

Love the appointment.

mjp
20-09-2011, 06:55 PM
The debate about having played and having not 'played' is of obvious interest to me - as someone who never played (state league was it and not exactly a 'legend'!) and now who coaches players with a lot more ability than I ever had - numerous draft picks and several top tenner's...I have also spent time coaching guys on AFL lists and and coaching alongside people with AFL playing experience.

There are elements of playing AFL footy that I simply cannot help with - I simply have not EXPERIENCED them. That is the simple truth. I don't know what it is like first hand because I have not played...but I know I haven't played and the players know I haven't played - so it never really becomes an issue.

What I can tell you is that just because you have played, it doesn't mean you have a better understanding of the game, that you are a better communicator or that you are a better coach. I mean - if everything else is even, then the guy who has played will have an edge - he has experience and knowledge that the 'other guy' doesn't - but it isn't the be all and end all.

I am not phased either way by the McCartney appointment. Like I said in another thread, I have met him a few times and he is a nice bloke and VERY passionate presenter - but I really have no idea what he is like as a coach. From listening to him though, I am confident he wont be caught short by a lack of preparation/work - he knows this is his one shot at the ring and he will want to make sure he puts every ounce of effort into grabbing hold of it.

Go_Dogs
21-09-2011, 12:27 AM
Great post mjp.

immortalmike
21-09-2011, 03:21 AM
I have no idea what you're talking about.

We'd probably have won 4 cups in the last ten years if we had Judd, Hall, Buckley, Scarlett, Hird and a few others also.

I would have settled for a fit Cooney, Lake, Murphy and Williams...

MrMahatma
21-09-2011, 04:32 AM
I think it's a non-issue. He's got the best out of blokes like Ablett, Bartell. Hurley. He has a proven track record as a coach. That's what the players will be thinking about.

I think his CV speaks for itself. Succesful coach. Which is what we've employed him to do.

Mantis
21-09-2011, 09:09 AM
I think it's a non-issue. He's got the best out of blokes like Ablett, Bartell. Hurley. He has a proven track record as a coach. That's what the players will be thinking about.

I think his CV speaks for itself. Succesful coach. Which is what we've employed him to do.

Being an assistant coach and a head coach are 2 very different things.

He has been part of some succesful programs, but I would think the job of main man is very different to being a team member.

Nuggety Back Pocket
21-09-2011, 01:36 PM
The debate about having played and having not 'played' is of obvious interest to me - as someone who never played (state league was it and not exactly a 'legend'!) and now who coaches players with a lot more ability than I ever had - numerous draft picks and several top tenner's...I have also spent time coaching guys on AFL lists and and coaching alongside people with AFL playing experience.

There are elements of playing AFL footy that I simply cannot help with - I simply have not EXPERIENCED them. That is the simple truth. I don't know what it is like first hand because I have not played...but I know I haven't played and the players know I haven't played - so it never really becomes an issue.

What I can tell you is that just because you have played, it doesn't mean you have a better understanding of the game, that you are a better communicator or that you are a better coach. I mean - if everything else is even, then the guy who has played will have an edge - he has experience and knowledge that the 'other guy' doesn't - but it isn't the be all and end all.

I am not phased either way by the McCartney appointment. Like I said in another thread, I have met him a few times and he is a nice bloke and VERY passionate presenter - but I really have no idea what he is like as a coach. From listening to him though, I am confident he wont be caught short by a lack of preparation/work - he knows this is his one shot at the ring and he will want to make sure he puts every ounce of effort into grabbing hold of it.

I agree. Recent appointments in Chris Scott, Neeld, Sanderson and McCartney have all come from successful club environments which seems to be the trend at the moment. The only doubt on BMcC is the fact that he hasn't played at the highest level which shouldn't be a deterrant.
The main criteria today is IMO how to successfully manage people and to be relational which apparently is one of Brendan's strengths. I like the fact that he has diligently served a long apprenticeship and has been highly respected wherever he has served. Big names over many years in Whitten, Rose, Hart, Joyce, Wallace and Eade hasn't brought us a flag.
Just maybe this approach might work. We have nothing to lose.

ledge
21-09-2011, 01:41 PM
Makes me wonder is the senior coach now just a communicater, does he set the gameplan anymore or is that moving towards the assistants and the assistants are now more important being the ones who played the game?
Is this the way the game is going?

Curly5
21-09-2011, 01:50 PM
It will be interesting to see if he brings his own assistants.

LostDoggy
21-09-2011, 01:59 PM

I

I don't really understand your argument? Are you saying if you inserted the greatest player in league history to fill out biggest weakness, we would have been a better team? Jesus, how didn't rocket see that

Guido
21-09-2011, 02:46 PM
Thats my whole point -you take Higgins -alot you want him out the door -why would Shaun listen to a guy who has never played .
It comes down to the relationship they build and the respect he has for McCartney as a coach, not as a player.

You can't be 100% on any coach until you see him in action, so even though I'm happy with the appointment (given the candidates available) and he looks to be a natural leader, I just don't know how he's going to fare.

But what I do know is that his personality, knowledge, motivation and coaching techniques, and the respect and confidence the list has in him as coach, will have a far greater influence on how much he gets out of each individual player (and the sum of those parts) than his playing career from 30 years ago.

Mantis
21-09-2011, 02:48 PM
Makes me wonder is the senior coach now just a communicater, does he set the gameplan anymore or is that moving towards the assistants and the assistants are now more important being the ones who played the game?

You really do come out with some weird stuff ledge.

ledge
21-09-2011, 02:51 PM
You really do come out with some weird stuff ledge.

Left field mate its all the rage this September:D

stefoid
21-09-2011, 04:35 PM

I wouldnt know, but Im aware of a perception that Rocket was not good at developing younger players and had a tendancy to blow his stack too often.

McCartney's reputation is the opposite. So 'tactical genius' probably isnt the main thing we were looking for in the new coach, but more of a communicator to improve the morale and cohesion of the team.

Some might argue that despite all the tactical evolution over the years, the most important part of the coaches job is to get all the players heads in the right place and playing consistant, uncompromising team football.

This is suppsoedly McCartneys strong suit.

Edit: Im sick of typing McCartney already, Im typing macca from now on.

ledge
21-09-2011, 06:17 PM
I wouldnt know, but Im aware of a perception that Rocket was not good at developing younger players and had a tendancy to blow his stack too often.

McCartney's reputation is the opposite. So 'tactical genius' probably isnt the main thing we were looking for in the new coach, but more of a communicator to improve the morale and cohesion of the team.

Some might argue that despite all the tactical evolution over the years, the most important part of the coaches job is to get all the players heads in the right place and playing consistant, uncompromising team football.

This is suppsoedly McCartneys strong suit.

Edit: Im sick of typing McCartney already, Im typing macca from now on.

This is they way I was thinking, Craig Bellamy comes to mind, could he coach in any sport, it was mentioned on SEN this bloke is so good with players that it would be an interesting scenario.
The coach now seems to be a motivator and keeping players happy and aiming for the one thing, the assistants are the ones doing the actual football training, coaching etc.

I also wonder whats Hirds job is at Essendon, we all know he is named as coach but every cross over I have seen of him all year he was hardly on the phone, never had a head set on and just seemed to be watching, Thompson on the other hand was always the one interviewed and always involved with the actual game going on.

I am not judging it just asking if its the way the game is going.

Sedat
21-09-2011, 11:18 PM
I wouldnt know, but Im aware of a perception that Rocket was not good at developing younger players
I reckon this was a BS perception. There were a hatful of under 23's on our list that were treading water and one step away from delistings/trades when Rocket came to the club. These under 23's then formed the backbone of our 2008-2010 teams. Rocket also managed the exit of Darcy, Grant, Smith and West, who were 4 of our best 5 players (Johnno being the other) when Rocket arrived. If he could not develop young talent we would have spent 2008-2010 in mid table mediocrity at best.

turtle
22-09-2011, 11:43 AM
With the discussion surrounding the growing importance around the assistant coaches I have two questions/observations
1. Am I right in saying that we are 1 or 2 assistants short on what is available at the top clubs?
2. As an outsider there doesn't seem to be the same focus on the process of getting the right assistants. As an exstension of this, as an under-resourced club, is it not more critical that we get this part absolutely right? I'm not suggesting the guys we have are not good at their job, it just seems that the appointment of assistants is not as rigorous as it could be, and this might be an area where we could be more efficient.

LongWait
22-09-2011, 01:51 PM
I reckon this was a BS perception. There were a hatful of under 23's on our list that were treading water and one step away from delistings/trades when Rocket came to the club. These under 23's then formed the backbone of our 2008-2010 teams. Rocket also managed the exit of Darcy, Grant, Smith and West, who were 4 of our best 5 players (Johnno being the other) when Rocket arrived. If he could not develop young talent we would have spent 2008-2010 in mid table mediocrity at best.

With respect I think you are comparing Rocket to his predecessors (Peter Rohde and Terry Wallace), rather than to the best in the competition. Rocket might have gotten more from the players you mentioned than Rohde did, but did that group outperform their peers at the top end of the competition?

Mantis
22-09-2011, 02:30 PM
As an outsider there doesn't seem to be the same focus on the process of getting the right assistants. As an exstension of this, as an under-resourced club, is it not more critical that we get this part absolutely right? I'm not suggesting the guys we have are not good at their job, it just seems that the appointment of assistants is not as rigorous as it could be, and this might be an area where we could be more efficient.

But who are the 'right' assistants?

LostDoggy
22-09-2011, 03:50 PM

Neil Craig, Rodney Eade and Mark Harvey would be a pretty kickarse panel, but you'd probably end up spending more time managing the egos in the coaches' box than on the field.

(Although it's been said that all those guys mentioned are very un-ego driven)

turtle
22-09-2011, 06:37 PM

I wasn't suggesting the guys that we have are right or wrong. It was more a question around the recruitment process.

Given the increased importance of assistant coaches, are we set up to get the best available talent? It might be that we are and these appointmments just don't have the visibility of the senior role. I just wonder whether this is an area we could improve upon.

Nuggety Back Pocket
22-09-2011, 11:04 PM
I wasn't suggesting the guys that we have are right or wrong. It was more a question around the recruitment process.

Given the increased importance of assistant coaches, are we set up to get the best available talent? It might be that we are and these appointmments just don't have the visibility of the senior role. I just wonder whether this is an area we could improve upon.

We forget that these same assistants with some exceptions had us in three consecetive preliminary finals.
All the rage at the moment is engaging assistants from successful clubs which probably has as much to do with the quality of players at these powerful clubs. The coach ultimately has responsible for the team's success and therefore it should become his responsibility to gather the best core group around him. There is also the question of financial resources with Collingwood for example having a 50% greater budget in it's football department than the Western Bulldogs.This has been an ongoing problem for our Club over many years.

AndrewP6
27-05-2012, 01:41 AM
Pretty sure he is 46.

McCartney is 52 in October.