PDA

View Full Version : McCartney's Bulldogs premiership plan

bornadog
19-09-2011, 06:54 PM
By Kim Hagdorn (http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2011/09/19/mccartney-s-bulldogs-premiership-plan/)

NEW Western Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney has firmly declared the Dogs within close reach of winning a premiership.

He announced the Bulldogs playing list is healthy and still capable of achieving ultimate flag success as McCartney assumed his senior coaching position at Whitten Oval on Monday.

“Having worked against the club in the last 18 to 24 months, where they’re in a very good position to win a premiership,” McCartney said.

“So there’s a little bit of a refresh, there’s a rebuild.”

The new Doggies boss differed in a view from president David Smorgon when he announced a month ago the departure of senior coach Rodney Eade that the club needed to refresh the playing list.

But McCartney revealed plans to refresh the Dogs as well as build on the playing abilities from brilliant young stars Tom Liberatore and Mitch Wallis and even identifies improvement for hardened veterans Matthew Boyd and Daniel Cross.

Boyd and Cross have agreed to terms of new contracts after weeks of negotiations with Dogs officials, with popular 213-game veteran Daniel Giansiracusa sill in protracted discussions on a new deal.

“Does every player on the Western Bulldogs have room for improvement? Yeh we do,” McCartney said.

“Do we continue to develop the coaching program? Yes we do.

“So our first and second year players have different challenges in front of them to the 200-game players.

“But ultimately they’re all looking to add one, two, three things to their playing capacity and their personality each year.

“So it’s very much a (refreshing and rebuilding) combination.”

A clearly humbled McCartney, expressed appreciation to his close association with Geelong and the Bombers dual premiership coach Mark Thompson and Essendon first-year coach James Hird.

McCartney won the Dogs appointment on high recommendation from two-times Cats premiership captain Tom Harley who was on the Bulldogs coaching selection panel.

“I go in knowing full well and looking forward to the challenge and knowing the responsibilities that present to a senior coach,” McCartney said.

“As a person left with the responsibility to help mould a coaching group and a player group and it is something I really look forward to.

“I can’t wait to get my teeth into it actually.

“I was very, very glad to be approached.

“I wanted to coach the Western Bulldogs.

“I’m honoured to be coaching this club.

“I’m looking forward to the opportunity to meet the players and the staff and help them to get to a realisation point where the success we have for our members and fans will be relied on them to be prepared to play their role.

“To be really clear about their responsibilities to the team and to the club.”

GVGjr
19-09-2011, 07:14 PM
Very impressive start to life as a senior coach.

MrMahatma
19-09-2011, 08:32 PM
Saying all the right things. Got me on board, that's for sure! Bring on 2012.

At last, a reason for some optimism.

Curly5
19-09-2011, 08:34 PM
Tell him he's dreamin'. ;)

No, positivity is great to hear, just what the players need to hear.

Bulldog Revolution
19-09-2011, 09:19 PM
Saying all the right things. Got me on board, that's for sure! Bring on 2012.

At last, a reason for some optimism.

Yes, indeed, he seems to realise the energy that will be needed and involved, but he is excited and he should be

Go_Dogs
19-09-2011, 09:28 PM
Good article, like what he had to say.

It seems to be a good appointment on the face of it, really interested/excited for the coming pre-season and 2012.

1eyedog
19-09-2011, 09:55 PM
If he wanted to coach us why didn't he approach us?

anfo27
19-09-2011, 11:03 PM
excited for next year and the start of the McCartney era.

GVGjr
19-09-2011, 11:08 PM
If he wanted to coach us why didn't he approach us?

I think a lot of assistant coaches don't want to develop a reputation for just missing out. It certainly wrecked Royal and Bond should have been a coach in my opinion but after a few strikes I think clubs then look at those guys differently as they have missed out on a few jobs and there is a question if they have improved in the last 12 months.

Far better to be asked because it gets you a good hearing.

w3design
19-09-2011, 11:09 PM
Love the positivity, whether it pans out that way who knows? I really didn't want to hear a cautious, poker-faced, say-nothing, speech. The players and fans need to have the dream reignited. Good start!

Roll on 2012!

1eyedog
19-09-2011, 11:13 PM
I think a lot of assistant coaches don't want to develop a reputation for just missing out. It certainly wrecked Royal and Bond should have been a coach in my opinion but after a few strikes I think clubs then look at those guys differently as they have missed out on a few jobs and there is a question if they have improved in the last 12 months.

That makes sense.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-09-2011, 01:37 AM
Very impressive start to life as a senior coach.

Agreed.

Much more upbeat about footy than I was 24 hours ago.

Mantis
20-09-2011, 09:08 AM
It all sounds good, but I can remember feeling positive when Rohde took over due to words coming out of his mouth .ie. we will play accountable footy, yadda yadda yadda... We all know how that worked out.

I guess it will take some time to determine if the words he preaches are getting though, but as Dogs fans all we can do is live in hope.

Sedat
20-09-2011, 09:22 AM
It all sounds good, but I can remember feeeling positive when Rohde took over due to words coming out of his mouth .ie. we will play accountable footy, yadda yadda yadda... We all know how that worked out.
You should get a job as a translator if you could understand any of the 1,000 words per minute that spewed out of Rohder's mouth.

Dancin' Douggy
20-09-2011, 09:58 AM
You should get a job as a translator if you could understand any of the 1,000 words per minute that spewed out of Rohder's mouth.

How many words a minute does that give Wallace?
10,000?

The Doctor
20-09-2011, 09:59 AM
Rohder's .

it's Peter!

The Underdog
20-09-2011, 10:32 AM
It all sounds good, but I can remember feeling positive when Rohde took over due to words coming out of his mouth .ie. we will play accountable footy, yadda yadda yadda... We all know how that worked out.

I guess it will take some time to determine if the words he preaches are getting though, but as Dogs fans all we can do is live in hope.

As you say the proof will be in the pudding but his first 24 hours has been impressive and I don't remember too many people coming out and endorsing Rohde's previous work when he started. I was well over the whole process and had become pretty disenchanted but I think McCartney seems like a good choice given where the list is at. Ironically doesn't seem a million miles from Eade in style, but has the advantage of a clean slate.
Let's be honest, we're at least 3 years away from being a top 4 contender anyway so hopefully McCartney's as advertised. After his interview on SEN this morning at least it seems like he'll be entertaining.

Sedat
20-09-2011, 10:43 AM
it's Peter!
:D

Mantis raises a good point, but I think the clear difference in the appointment of Rohde and that of McCartney is the fact that cost was one of the key components of Rohde's appointment (which Campbell Rose freely admitted at the time). We are not slashing the budgets of our footy dept this time around, and McCartney's appointment followed a much deeper and detailed interviewing process than Rohde's did. McCartney's CV is also much broader, more comprehensive and has stronger results than Rohde's at the time of his appointment.

Saying the right things and acting them out are two different things, but I am hopeful that McCartney can bring his excellent teaching pedigree to the table across our entire playing group. I also hope he can identify and act upon the 2-3 aspects of our current game plan that has us behind the 8-ball with the top echelon clubs (which to be fair we were one of those top echelon clubs only a year or two ago). But a new coach needs the right footy dept structure in place, and that includes a quality list manager that can fill the holes on our list, manage the impending exit of our class of 99-01 and replace them with quality like-for-like, and made prudent trading decisions that add real value to our playing list. No easy task but one made more difficult by absorbing this critical function into the all-encompassing head of footy operations banner.

Cyberdoggie
20-09-2011, 11:27 AM

I totally agree, especially with Bond, would of been a fantastic coach.

Do you think now the code is that these would be coaches aren't "officially applying"
for a coaching role, and instead they are getting "approached". It just sounds to me that they are trying to maintain their reputation in case they miss out. Will be interesting to see who gets the StKilda job and if he was also "approached".

Would this also be the end for Leon Cameron as a future coach?, if he can't get the gig at the bulldogs then surely he's not in the calculations for any other club either.

Really happy the dogs didn't go for the oldschool club legends approach and took a risk on McCartney. Looks to be a real positive step in the right direction.

Maddog37
20-09-2011, 11:33 AM

Agreed Mantis. We can also expect to hear how it is the best preseason ever and all the players are in the best shape ever.

We will not know until the ball is bounced.

He has been very impressive thus far and said exactly what needed to be said to give fans some excitement moving forward. If we can have a good trade/draft period then the club will have done a great job under a fair bit of pressure.

bornadog
20-09-2011, 11:39 AM

However, there is a big difference in what each has achieved prior to their appointments. BMac has experienced the ultimate, all be it as an assistant.

Do agree words have to be put into action.

Bulldog Revolution
20-09-2011, 11:44 AM
However, there is a big difference in what each has achieved prior to their appointments. BMac has experienced the ultimate, all be it as an assistant.

Rhode did talk a reasonable game, talked about each player being able to win their own ball but also use it etc etc

The issue was as you've pointed out Rhode could not translate his words into action from the team.

I have more faith in McCartney that he will be someone the players will actually listen to, and a fair bit of faith that he really knows what is required in terms of nuts and bolts training to translate a plan into action

LostDoggy
20-09-2011, 06:30 PM
Comparing Rhode to McCartney isn't fair.

Rhode was the cut price assistant who we all knew from day one was not really gonna be much chop.

McCartney is very highly regarded in football circles and I've not heard any commentator criticise the appointment.

Sounds like he can get a bit more out of people.

Here's hoping for AA nominations for Hill, Stack, Higgins, Grant and Minson next year :D

boydogs
20-09-2011, 07:45 PM
Really happy the dogs didn't go for the oldschool club legends approach and took a risk on McCartney. Looks to be a real positive step in the right direction.

Why?

Not saying I disagree, but there are plenty of clubs with former champions at the helm (WCE, PA, Coll, Ess, BL, Carl)

AndrewP6
20-09-2011, 08:19 PM
Why?

Not saying I disagree, but there are plenty of clubs with former champions at the helm (WCE, PA, Coll, Ess, BL, Carl)

Not sure Voss and Primus have covered themselves in glory in the coaches box.

stefoid
20-09-2011, 09:06 PM
Hey, we paid Rhode peanuts to tank.

Carlton paid Pagan a million a year to do the same thing...

Bulldog Revolution
20-09-2011, 09:23 PM
Comparing Rhode to McCartney isn't fair.

Rhode was the cut price assistant who we all knew from day one was not really gonna be much chop.

McCartney is very highly regarded in football circles and I've not heard any commentator criticise the appointment.

Sounds like he can get a bit more out of people.

Here's hoping for AA nominations for Hill, Stack, Higgins, Grant and Minson next year :D

I don't think we are seriously comparing Rhode and McCartney

However, its important to remember Rhode was a highly sought after assistant who'd coached successfully in the SANFL, and whom Wallace successfully wooed.

Rhode first game was the Wallace quit for Sydney game, and the team played inspired footy against Collingwood.

So, I think we had high expectations of Rhode and not dissimilar to McCartney, but suspect that Macca is in a better position from which to deliver given his experience.

boydogs
21-09-2011, 12:06 AM
Not sure Voss and Primus have covered themselves in glory in the coaches box.

Worsfold & Ratten are doing OK, too early to call with Hird & Buckley - pretty neutral result to this point. We certainly wouldn't be the first to do it if we put Cameron in charge being a former player

Mofra
21-09-2011, 11:21 AM
Interesting comment at the bottom of the article - seems to be a fair bit of positivity around his appointment.

However, as a wise man once said - you never read pessimism in a company prospectus ;)

ledge
21-09-2011, 11:30 AM
Worsfold & Ratten are doing OK, too early to call with Hird & Buckley - pretty neutral result to this point. We certainly wouldn't be the first to do it if we put Cameron in charge being a former player

I think Ratten has wasted a few years at Carlton, they should have been a lot better by now, a few number 1 draft picks that are finally coming on but I believe that would have happened anyway, he has done nothing as a coach as far as I can see.

As much as I hate Carlton they have heaps of talent that a reasonable coach would have got more out of by now.

bornadog
21-09-2011, 11:48 AM
I think Ratten has wasted a few years at Carlton, they should have been a lot better by now, a few number 1 draft picks that are finally coming on but I believe that would have happened anyway, he has done nothing as a coach as far as I can see.

As much as I hate Carlton they have heaps of talent that a reasonable coach would have got more out of by now.

Couldn't agree more, the talent is sure there. How many number one draft picks do they have, plus Judd?

ledge
21-09-2011, 12:56 PM
Couldn't agree more, the talent is sure there. How many number one draft picks do they have, plus Judd?

I belive Gibbs, Murphy and Kruezer.

LostDoggy
21-09-2011, 01:05 PM

Essendon will win a flag before Carlton does.

ledge
21-09-2011, 01:10 PM

We will before either do;)

Greystache
21-09-2011, 02:02 PM

Based on?

ledge
21-09-2011, 02:26 PM
Based on?

Maybe Ratten coaching, Essendon has done a sneaky but smart membership drive

The new world, use a club great to get members , call him coach but hire a real coach in the background.
We all pay membership to watch games, Sir James gets paid a zillion a year to sit in comfort and watch games.

LostDoggy
21-09-2011, 02:33 PM
Based on?

Their (Essendon's) knowledge that their list isn't going to get them there, and the right staff, coaches and administration, to fix that.

As opposed to Carlton, who are convinced they can win a flag with their current list. Judd is 28. They have no real forward line (much like us a few years back — and now, admittedly:)). I see them suffering the Bulldogs' fate, and just missing out a few years in a row before falling back out of the eight for another round of tanking.

ledge
21-09-2011, 02:37 PM
Their (Essendon's) knowledge that their list isn't going to get them there, and the right staff, coaches and administration, to fix that.

As opposed to Carlton, who are convinced they can win a flag with their current list. Judd is 28. They have no real forward line (much like us a few years back — and now, admittedly:)). I see them suffering the Bulldogs' fate, and just missing out a few years in a row before falling back out of the eight for another round of tanking.

They should have listened to Hardwick a few years ago when he said rebuild but listened to Knights who told them what they wanted to hear, we will make finals!
I actually think Sheedy had same problem, Essendon wanted finals every year so he was forced to keep recruiting older players.
Now they are paying for it.

The Underdog
21-09-2011, 02:40 PM
They should have listened to Hardwick a few years ago when he said rebuild but listened to Knights who told them what they wanted to hear, we will make finals!
I actually think Sheedy had same problem, Essendon wanted finals every year so he was forced to keep recruiting older players.
Now they are paying for it.

They did make finals and got slaughtered by Adelaide. much like this year they made finals and got slaughtered by Carlton.
Looking at the 2 lists I couldn't see how Essendon win a GF before Carlton.

ledge
21-09-2011, 02:46 PM
They did make finals and got slaughtered by Adelaide. much like this year they made finals and got slaughtered by Carlton.

Yes and problem was they were just making finals, niether here nor there, might as well be Richmond.
Both sides arent going anywhere but If I had to pick one its Carlton.
Carlton have bottomed out and got great players, Essendon are still in we will make 8th every year mindframe.

Mantis
21-09-2011, 02:47 PM

The only way it could happen is that neither team win flags with this current batch of players.... and then it's just a lottery.

LostDoggy
21-09-2011, 02:52 PM
All this stuff on Essendon and Carlton premierships make me feel ill.

The Underdog
21-09-2011, 03:15 PM
The only way it could happen is that neither team win flags with this current batch of players.... and then it's just a lottery.

Exactly, Carlton are a heap closer than Essendon are, doesn't mean someone else doesn't come through and beat both of them.

Drunken Bum
21-09-2011, 04:00 PM
All this stuff on Essendon and Carlton premierships make me feel ill.

My thoughts exactly

LostDoggy
22-09-2011, 10:00 AM

I think Essendon will realise (or have already) long before Carlton does, and hence they'll have a large head start.

Remi Moses
22-09-2011, 05:31 PM
Why?

Batting one for Five so far in success.Ratten's been okay I guess

LostDoggy
25-09-2011, 03:13 PM
Batting one for Five so far in success.Ratten's been okay I guess

I didn't want Leon as he didn't seem to have the experience level required for mine. Also too close to the current players etc - all been said on other threads. I'd love to see him back when he gets the required experience however as it sounds as though he is a strong developer based on his time with us as an assistant coach. Just needs to get more experience and bring back some new ideas. Leon for 2016 :cool:

gohardorgohome
30-09-2011, 03:32 PM
Im impressed by what we have heard from McCartney so far....It still near impossible for outsiders to tell if a coach is any good at all.

Nuggety Back Pocket
30-09-2011, 06:55 PM

McCartney will unveil plans for the coming season to each player
next week.There will be a marked change in how you can expect the Bulldogs to play in 2012.
You will see far more emphasis on physical contact and less of the reckless move the ball on at any cost with more care and attention to disposing of the ball.There has been an early and deliberate attempt to gain the respect of Lake with a good understanding between coach and player.We are going to experience a genuine student of the game with teamwork being his number one priority.We are all in for a hell of a ride and you can expect a very competitive unit.

Ghost Dog
30-09-2011, 07:35 PM
next week.There will be a marked change in how you can expect the Bulldogs to play in 2012.
You will see far more emphasis on physical contact and less of the reckless move the ball on at any cost with more care and attention to disposing of the ball.There has been an early and deliberate attempt to gain the respect of Lake with a good understanding between coach and player.We are going to experience a genuine student of the game with teamwork being his number one priority.We are all in for a hell of a ride and you can expect a very competitive unit.

yeesh. I hope so. he seems humble and straight up. Who can tell? wait and see.
I cringe whenever I hear that expression in this context. Memories of Malcom Blight touting it so many times before his dubious time at the saints.

ledge
30-09-2011, 09:53 PM

Can I ask how you know this?

chef
01-10-2011, 07:42 AM

Thanks for that NBP.

Nuggety Back Pocket
01-10-2011, 09:11 AM
Can I ask how you know this?

I prefer not to name the source but it is reliable. Thanks for asking,

Go_Dogs
01-10-2011, 10:15 AM
Nice post NBP, it all sounds exciting. Really looking forward to seeing what differences he implements.

ledge
01-10-2011, 11:00 AM
I prefer not to name the source but it is reliable. Thanks for asking,

Thanks
Because you didnt mention a source ie friend or whatever, I presumed you are someone inside the club.

The Bulldogs Bite
01-10-2011, 05:04 PM
Playing devil's advocate for a moment, do we really need a more hardened, competitive edge? Obviously it's one of the areas we need to improve, but I would have thought that it was one of the few areas we are OK in.

I'd be working on our skills first.

bornadog
01-10-2011, 05:08 PM
Playing devil's advocate for a moment, do we really need a more hardened, competitive edge? Obviously it's one of the areas we need to improve, but I would have thought that it was one of the few areas we are OK in.

We are very good at contested possession and clearance work, but its what we do with the ball after that. We don't spread very well and your right about working on skills.

AndrewP6
01-10-2011, 05:20 PM

I think that should be a high priority. Compared to Geelong and Collingwood, to me, we just don't have that hard edge, killer instinct.

I agree on the skills though.

stefoid
01-10-2011, 09:08 PM
Geelong has a pretty good record - good to have a coach who was partly responsible for it.

Nuggety Back Pocket
01-10-2011, 09:23 PM
Geelong has a pretty good record - good to have a coach who was partly responsible for it.

I agree. Ten years at Geelong would have to be a big plus where he was highly regarded. James Hird equally was full of praise this year with McCartney's coaching abilities.

ledge
01-10-2011, 11:42 PM
Keep in mind it was assistant coach abillities, I think it was Scott who said senior and assistant coaching is completely different,the senior coach makes decisions the assistant follows them, be interesting to see if he makes the transition.

LostDoggy
03-10-2011, 12:35 AM
Firstly, I must say I am happy with McCartney being appointed coach.
I do think it needs to be noted that he was at Geelong as an assistant from 2000 - 2010. Geelong didnt go too well until 2004 where they made the Prelim,had a dip then came back into it in 2006, then the Premiership in '07.
Obviously the last 5 seasons they have been exceptional, but there was a long period where they werent that flash.
Im looking forward to seeing how he changes the team and our game style, but we may need to be a little patient with it all.

Mofra
03-10-2011, 10:25 AM
Firstly, I must say I am happy with McCartney being appointed coach.
I do think it needs to be noted that he was at Geelong as an assistant from 2000 - 2010. Geelong didnt go too well until 2004 where they made the Prelim,had a dip then came back into it in 2006, then the Premiership in '07.
Obviously the last 5 seasons they have been exceptional, but there was a long period where they werent that flash.
Im looking forward to seeing how he changes the team and our game style, but we may need to be a little patient with it all.
That's a positive in my book - it means McCartney has been through good times and bad. Malthouse says you've never really coached until you've coached a bottom side.

AndrewP6
23-07-2012, 07:09 PM
BUMP.

With the current debates around our plight, and McCartney as coach, I thought this made for interesting reading. Surely he wouldn't describe our list as "healthy" now.

Maddog37
23-07-2012, 08:41 PM

More rebuild than refresh obviously!!!

Sedat
23-07-2012, 10:46 PM
Interesting post in hindsight.

Certainly right on that score. Short sideways chip passes to the least dangerous part of the ground is about as far away from 'reckless move the ball at any cost' as you can get. It is also monumentally boring and spectacularly unsuccessful, as evidenced by our percentage of 75 and our pitiful crowd attendances so far this season. I sincerely hope the method in the madness will bear fruit in the next couple of seasons for BMac.

Sedat
23-07-2012, 10:51 PM

And this is an equally interesting post in hindsight. TBB, can you join our coaching panel? :D

bornadog
23-07-2012, 11:50 PM
And this is an equally interesting post in hindsight. TBB, can you join our coaching panel? :D

We are ranked this year the same as last year in CP, so we have not changed in that area, despite all the education.

jeemak
24-07-2012, 01:01 AM
We are ranked this year the same as last year in CP, so we have not changed in that area, despite all the education.

Do you think our current performances in this area are somewhat subdued due to players tiring as the season progresses, or by a lack of "buy in" by the players?

I'm going to sound like a bit of a broken record in this regard (though, we're all starting to sound like we're on repeat for one reason or another), but surely our playing group needs to shoulder some of the blame for our current performances.

bornadog
24-07-2012, 12:19 PM
Do you think our current performances in this area are somewhat subdued due to players tiring as the season progresses, or by a lack of "buy in" by the players?

I'm going to sound like a bit of a broken record in this regard (though, we're all starting to sound like we're on repeat for one reason or another), but surely our playing group needs to shoulder some of the blame for our current performances.

Young playing group cannot sustain the CP for the whole season. Don't forget last years team was even younger than this years, when we had the 10 debutants with zero games under their belt.

Cyberdoggie
24-07-2012, 02:30 PM

More rebuild than refresh obviously!!!

According to Smorgan it's now a 'reboot'!

I think after that comes a 'reshuffle' doesn't it?

Dancin' Douggy
24-07-2012, 02:37 PM
A reboot usually comes after a shutdown.
He might be on to something.

G-Mo77
24-07-2012, 02:49 PM
A reboot usually comes after a shutdown.
He might be on to something.

Unless the reboot was forced after a crash then we have to do an error check and maybe even a recovery or worst case scenario a format then reinstall. Hmm. :D

Chicago1
24-07-2012, 03:00 PM
You'd think that since Smorgon got us a Mac, we'd have no problems. Overrated. Totally.:p

G-Mo77
24-07-2012, 03:05 PM
You'd think that since Smorgon got us a Mac, we'd have no problems. Overrated. Totally.:p

Touche. :)

We definitely need some Android's running around on the field.

EasternWest
24-07-2012, 03:43 PM
Unless the reboot was forced after a crash then we have to do an error check and maybe even a recovery or worst case scenario a format then reinstall. Hmm. :D

Have you tried turning it off and back on again?

The Bulldogs Bite
24-07-2012, 04:04 PM

I'll put forth my CV and let you know how I go! :D

comrade
24-07-2012, 04:11 PM
I'll put forth my CV and let you know how I go! :D

Just don't mention the word 'rebuild'.

Mantis
24-07-2012, 04:21 PM

I wonder if Leon Cameron or Rodney Eade mentioned this dreadful word?

Dancin' Douggy
24-07-2012, 04:53 PM
Have you tried turning it off and back on again?

I'm pretty sure it's off at the moment.

bornadog
24-07-2012, 05:21 PM

Its not a rebuild reboot or refresh, its a development year:D ie back to school to learn and be educated.:D

G-Mo77
24-07-2012, 05:43 PM
I'm pretty sure it's off at the moment.

It's on, having regular fatal exceptions though.

Cyberdoggie
24-07-2012, 06:14 PM
Its not a rebuild reboot or refresh, its a development year:D ie back to school to learn and be educated.:D

So would it then be a 'Re-education'?

just trying to include the re word. :p

bornadog
24-07-2012, 06:17 PM
So would it then be a 'Re-education'?

just trying to include the re word. :p

Redevelopment:D

LostDoggy
24-07-2012, 07:12 PM
who knows what it is anymore, to me its another lost year with no flag or GF.

AndrewP6
24-07-2012, 07:49 PM

Hahahaha :D:D
Gold.

LostDoggy
24-07-2012, 08:05 PM
Crackers Keenan said we have been rebuilding since 1954. I cant help but agree with him at the moment.

boydogs
24-07-2012, 08:14 PM
Crackers Keenan said we have been rebuilding since 1954. I cant help but agree with him at the moment.

Recruiting Sherman, Veszpremi & Djerrkura to top up for a shot at the flag is not rebuilding.

bornadog
24-07-2012, 09:27 PM

Crackers is Crackers, I don't listen to his foolish words

LostDoggy
24-07-2012, 09:34 PM
It's on, having regular fatal exceptions though.

We are red white and blue screening.

Dazza
24-07-2012, 09:43 PM
I still don't mind Mcartney as coach.

I'd give him at least another 3 years. If we aren't seeing improvement by the end of the 3rd year it will be a worry.

Mantis
24-07-2012, 09:51 PM
Recruiting Sherman, Veszpremi & Djerrkura to top up for a shot at the flag is not rebuilding.

Is recruiting players to the club who have the potential to be 10 year players viewed as topping up?

I wouldn't have thought so.

Maddog37
24-07-2012, 09:55 PM
Is recruiting players to the club who have the potential to be 10 year players viewed as topping up?

I wouldn't have thought so.

It was more an impatient filling of gaps.

LostDoggy
24-07-2012, 10:47 PM
I dont think Sherman is as good as he should be at the moment, he is a line breaker but is more likely to have his pants pulled down, Ves and Dj jury is out for me, cant say I am impressed with what I see so far, but hey they play I'm and arm chair critic.

azabob
24-07-2012, 10:49 PM
I dont think Sherman is as good as he should be at the moment, he is a line breaker but is more likely to have his pants pulled down, Ves and Dj jury is out for me, cant say I am impressed with what I see so far, but hey they play I'm and arm chair critic.

I like Vez a lot, hopefully we stick with him and he continues to get fitter.

With Sherman his form has been fairly average, he was more of a front runner but did ok last year.
Wonder if what he said on the field last year is still somehow playing on his mind and effecting him?

LostDoggy
24-07-2012, 10:53 PM
You wouldnt think so, I guess he just hasnt had enough game time. Is Sherman being played out of position?

bornadog
24-07-2012, 11:58 PM
You wouldnt think so, I guess he just hasnt had enough game time. Is Sherman being played out of position?

I think he is being made to play a style that doesn't suit him. He is not the contested possession type, he is an outside runner but the coach says to them al, they must win their own ball.

Sedat
25-07-2012, 12:06 AM
I think he is being made to play a style that doesn't suit him. He is not the contested possession type, he is an outside runner but the coach says to them al, they must win their own ball.
Would Lewis Jetta get a game under BMac? He's probably the most 'outside' player in the entire competition right now - that's not a criticism by the way.

w3design
25-07-2012, 12:07 AM

Hard to see a lot of point to hanging on to more than one of them. It is almost 'take your pick ' though unfortunately. But the one looks to be pretty much between DJ and Vez.

Cyberdoggie
25-07-2012, 12:22 AM
I still don't mind Mcartney as coach.

I'd give him at least another 3 years. If we aren't seeing improvement by the end of the 3rd year it will be a worry.

Gosh your patient!

So 4 years before you see any improvement? If i don't see anything by the end of the year I think i'll be out of patience.

By anything i mean some kind of turn around in form, or adherence to a game plan that is working.

If we keep putting in performances like we have then i don't see what we'll learn.
If they manage to stick at it and play somewhere like they did against the pies or geelong before the end of the year then that would be a much better sign, but in the end i'd say if next year is the same as this year then he shouldn't get a third.

FrediKanoute
25-07-2012, 02:35 AM
I've been waiting my whole life, we are at a stage in the cycle where we missed out. We are rebuilding (regardless of what everyone connected to the club refuses to acknowledge), but I'm excited about the rebuild. As good players as Shaggy, Gilbee, Boyd, Gia, Murphy etc have been, none of them were really true leaders capable of changing the culture of the club. I think the prospect of building from the ground up a group of guys with an attitude that screams pick me as captain is great.

I am disappointed at this year because I always want us to win, but I am excited by what I am seeing, especially from the kids.

chef
25-07-2012, 08:15 AM

I don't get this from Macca as you need the runners as much as the inside players. Could be a fatal mistake.

Dancin' Douggy
25-07-2012, 09:59 AM
I've been waiting my whole life, we are at a stage in the cycle where we missed out. We are rebuilding (regardless of what everyone connected to the club refuses to acknowledge), but I'm excited about the rebuild. As good players as Shaggy, Gilbee, Boyd, Gia, Murphy etc have been, none of them were really true leaders capable of changing the culture of the club. I think the prospect of building from the ground up a group of guys with an attitude that screams pick me as captain is great.

I am disappointed at this year because I always want us to win, but I am excited by what I am seeing, especially from the kids.

I think Murphy's the type.
And I think he should have been named captain.

soupman
25-07-2012, 10:53 AM
It was more an impatient filling of gaps.

It was more identifying players who have ability and attributes lacking on our list who were affordable. 18 year old draft picks in their places would have no better odds of making it than those guys.