PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations to Matty Boyd

bornadog
19-09-2011, 11:59 PM
Another excellent year and took on the captaincy as well.

Well done Boydy.

For the record:

Previously selected 2009. 22 games in 2011. 398 kicks (second in the AFL), 85 marks, 303 handballs (seventh in the AFL), averaging 18.1 kicks, 3.9 marks, 13.8 handballs. First in the AFL in total disposals. Eight Goals Five Behinds. 113 Tackles. 154 Clearances (first in the AFL), 115 Inside 50m (fourth in the AFL), 75 Rebound 50m.

Raw Toast
20-09-2011, 12:20 AM
Very well deserved imo, and while he attracts his fair - or unfair - share of criticism, he clearly stood up and tried to carry the team on his shoulders like a leader. Perhaps he tried a bit too hard at times (and his clangers tend to come from trying to do too much I think), but the beauty of it is that he still has a bit of improvement in him I reckon.

Hopefully he buys into the vision of the new coach and is able to take his game to an even higher level (in association with the rest of the team, especially the rest of the midfield).

w3design
20-09-2011, 12:23 AM
An excellent year and a great reward for Matthew.

EasternWest
20-09-2011, 12:25 AM
Very well deserved imo, and while he attracts his fair - or unfair - share of criticism, he clearly stood up and tried to carry the team on his shoulders like a leader. Perhaps he tried a bit too hard at times (and his clangers tend to come from trying to do too much I think), but the beauty of it is that he still has a bit of improvement in him I reckon.

Hopefully he buys into the vision of the new coach and is able to take his game to an even higher level (in association with the rest of the team, especially the rest of the midfield).

I'm with you RT. Gets fair and unfair criticism, but he's a fine captain. Just desserts.

MrMahatma
20-09-2011, 01:20 AM
Congrats Matthew. Good work. Great leadership.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
20-09-2011, 08:35 AM
Congrats Matthew. Good work. Great leadership.

If his will alone could get us over the line we would win every game. Tough as teak.

Daughter of the West
20-09-2011, 10:30 AM
If his will alone could get us over the line we would win every game. Tough as teak.

Seconded. Congratulations Boydy!

1eyedog
20-09-2011, 10:51 AM
Well done Boydy, great work.

Doc26
20-09-2011, 11:07 AM
Yes, echo the sentiments above, well done to Matthew in what must have been a challenging first year out as captain. His determination and work around the stoppages is to be admired.

Bulldog Revolution
20-09-2011, 11:07 AM
Super stuff. I love how hard Matty has worked to make himself the best he can be. I look forward to him finding the next gear under the new coach.

Maddog37
20-09-2011, 11:23 AM
Boyd is one of the rare types that actually may be better appreciated by opposition than his own supporters. I don't mean that in a smart arse way either. More that you just get so used to him doing what he does every week that it becomes the norm rather than special.

One thing I reckon Boydy can do is kick more goals and then he would really be an absolute nightmare for his opponents. His kicking for goal is getting better each year.

Either way he has had a great year and I am proud to have him as my clubs captain.

LostDoggy
20-09-2011, 12:02 PM
Amazing year, absolutely deserved. Missed Coons around the traps this year, or else he would have had an even better year, I reckon, which is amazing when you think about it.

Looking to McCartney to really push him into the Swan bracket of game-changers, I think he has all the tools and certainly the desire.

Mantis
20-09-2011, 12:18 PM
Good recognition, but I think he is lucky to get in.

I had Griffen as our best midfielder this year (so did the voters in the WOOF player of the year award), but seeing as though Boyd had 'better numbers' he was always a more likely choice going on how these teams are picked.

immortalmike
20-09-2011, 02:17 PM

I had Griffen as our best midfielder this year (so did the voters in the WOOF player of the year award), but seeing as though Boyd had 'better numbers' he was always a more likely choice going on how these teams are picked.

Agree Griff is our best midfielder (when Coons is injured) but I felt he was only good in patches at times this year, i.e., really good 3-4 games followed by a quiet couple. Boyd was more consistent in that he rarely had a quiet game. Also hard to have an All Australian side without the number one clearance and contested possession player especially when the media love those stats.

LostDoggy
21-09-2011, 04:08 PM

It's funny I was just thinking in the shower this morning that if Boydy made AA, Griff should have too, but didn't even make the shortlist.

Weird.

Forget the numbers, Griff carried the team most of the year (other than his horrendous goalkicking.. what the heck is going on there?)

Ghost Dog
21-09-2011, 04:48 PM
Often finding his finishing frustrating, at times tend to overlook the other really good things he does.
In terms of injury, or lack of, an outstanding player for his resilience. Never says die.
Interested to see how the new coach affects his game.
Well done on a hard fought year Matty.

LostDoggy
21-09-2011, 10:12 PM
It's funny I was just thinking in the shower this morning that if Boydy made AA, Griff should have too, but didn't even make the shortlist.

Weird.

I don't think it's weird that you think about footballers whilst having a shower :p

the banker
22-09-2011, 08:16 AM
Congratulations to Matty Boyd. An awesome performance this year as Captain and player while all around were struggling. The guy is a gun at getting the pill, what a fit Cooney could have done this year with a few feeds from Matty.

Let's hope for another great year for Matty in 2012.

KT31
25-09-2011, 05:36 PM
Welll done to Boydy and certainly well deserved.