PDA

View Full Version : Brendan McCartney has Brian Lake in his sights

Greystache
20-09-2011, 01:42 AM
EXCLUSIVE: NEW Western Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney has a meeting with full-back Brian Lake high on his list of priorities.

Although McCartney stressed every player on the list would be treated equally, Lake looms as a special case amid speculation he wants to leave Whitten Oval.

"What we will do is make every effort to cover off any player we feel is unsettled or may need to talk to us," McCartney told the Herald Sun.

"It's very difficult, bearing in mind players are now on leave, but all of our players are really important to us as people," he said.

"Where a player sits, emotionally and mentally, in the club is really important.

"It's important we understand where he sees himself and what he thinks he offers the club."

Lake has two years to run on a lucrative contract, but is coming off a disastrous season dogged by injury and has been mooted as a major player in trade week.

The two-time All-Australian stopped short of saying he would definitely be at the Dogs next year in a Footy Show interview last Thursday, indicating the new coach would have a strong bearing on his future.

McCartney said he wanted to talk to several players about stepping up into leadership roles or moving to new positions on the ground. Asked if there was an option to consider Lake as a forward, McCartney replied: "Absolutely."

McCartney received the news he had won the job late on Sunday night after the Dogs' board convened to ratify the recommendation of the sub-committee.

"There was an overwhelming sense that it is now a massive responsibility, knowing so many other great people have coached this club, it has had so many great players and it has been close to winning premierships," McCartney said.

"We (will) have a brand of footy that opposition clubs are wary of - they just know it will be a contest and, more often than not, it will be pretty hard to get a kick against (us)."

McCartney said there was a lot to like about the Dogs' gameplan, but acknowledged the team had to lift in some areas.

"Part of the game is on a parallel with the better teams. A couple of areas, which I don't want to elaborate on, there's a difference," he said. "If you're behind the better teams in two or three areas, you're already giving them three or four goals start.

"It's that difference we've got to make up.

"I think I have the model to teach the game well and build a brand of footy that will be sustainable over a long period of time and handle a lot of different game styles and pressures."

He said winning the contested ball was the cornerstone of the game.

McCartney is also a strong believer in aggression around the ball.

"You've got to have the physical strength and technique to do it," he said.

"I've seen it taught, I've seen it learned and I've seen people really master it. That will be the challenge."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/brendan-mccartney-has-brian-lake-in-his-sights/story-e6frf9jf-1226141208552

MrMahatma
20-09-2011, 06:20 AM
Not sure what other coaches say but this blokes seems to know a fair bit about our strengths and weaknesses already, and how he's going to go about improving the individuals on the list.

He's been all class so far.

Ghost Dog
20-09-2011, 07:31 AM
The fact that he has Dog fans in his family ( maybe he was a supporter in the past ) is reassuring.
As with Barry, Brad and others, always feel it's a slight edge.
Imagine getting a Ross Lyon Type who is there only for the zeros?

chef
20-09-2011, 07:37 AM
Very happy to have McCartney coaching us:)

Mantis
20-09-2011, 09:00 AM
Imagine getting a Ross Lyon Type who is there only for the zeros?

You really think that's the case?

PedroArvy
20-09-2011, 09:20 AM
Yeah, he left for a career choice knowing had he have stayed he might have been sacked at the end of a medicore rebuilding era 3 years later. It would be hard to build up the team in that time. Freo has much better prospects with its list.

Desipura
20-09-2011, 09:46 AM
I do not agree that Lake can play forward permanently. We have Jones as a marking forward and feel him and Lake would get in the way of each other.

Ozza
20-09-2011, 10:11 AM
I do not agree that Lake can play forward permanently. We have Jones as a marking forward and feel him and Lake would get in the way of each other.

Like how Jones and Hall got in the way of each other? Or Dawes and Cloke? Kennedy and Lynch/Darling?

I don't see why Lake would create this problem.

Murphy'sLore
20-09-2011, 10:20 AM
The more I hear from McCartney, the more I like it.

Mofra
20-09-2011, 10:47 AM
You really think that's the case?
In Ross Lyon's case, I do. He's not shy in stating he doesn't preach loyalty (a la his presser) and no doubt the $$$ was the major factor in his move west.

1eyedog
20-09-2011, 10:47 AM
Not sure what other coaches say but this blokes seems to know a fair bit about our strengths and weaknesses already, and how he's going to go about improving the individuals on the list.

He's been all class so far.

Of course he does, all assistants do he has been coaching against us for 12 years.

What an odd thing to say.

Like how Jones and Hall got in the way of each other? Or Dawes and Cloke? Kennedy and Lynch/Darling?

This.

1eyedog
20-09-2011, 10:49 AM
In Ross Lyon's case, I do. He's not shy in stating he doesn't preach loyalty (a la his presser) and no doubt the $$$ was the major factor in his move west.

I disagree, I think it was a risk management strategy to ensure he has a job in 2-3 years. imagine negotiating a contract at the Saints when they are languishing at the bottom of the ladder. The Sants have one year left of finals before Freo's list overtakes them. The money is a nice bonus, he has many mouths to feed at home.

Mofra
20-09-2011, 10:58 AM
^ The % increase in salary is comporable to Callan Ward's increase - yet Callan is an evil traitor and Ross is just a canny strategist? Persoanlly, I don;t buy it but this is gettign hte thread off track.

I want Brian to stay, but how well can he strictly adhere to the gameplan? It seems to be one of McCartney's core principles.

Maddog37
20-09-2011, 11:11 AM
^ The % increase in salary is comporable to Callan Ward's increase - yet Callan is an evil traitor and Ross is just a canny strategist? Persoanlly, I don;t buy it but this is gettign hte thread off track.

I want Brian to stay, but how well can he strictly adhere to the gameplan? It seems to be one of McCartney's core principles.

That is the skill of a good coach. To get the players to buy into the game plan and feel as if they are still doing what they want to do yet comply with what is needed. If he can make Brian or anyone else see the benefits of doing things a certain way then they will do it willingly.

Mantis
20-09-2011, 11:30 AM

I am more interested in seeing how B-Mac goes in getting Brian even fit enough to play because at present his body is a broken down mess and from reports (and from personal viewing) Brian isn't the hardest worker going around.

bornadog
20-09-2011, 11:35 AM

Even so, he would want to be a winner as he doesn't want to ruin his reputation for the next job. He is also on massive incentives at Freo to gain more dollars:D

Desipura
20-09-2011, 12:05 PM

Only difference is Lake is not a natural forward, he would rely too heavy on his marking and would not add any forward pressure.
Not many fullbacks make a name for themselves at full forward at 30yo.

Desipura
20-09-2011, 12:11 PM
Of course he does, all assistants do he has been coaching against us for 12 years.

What an odd thing to say.

Why is it odd? Can you give an educated response instead of claiming a comment as odd?

Rocket Science
20-09-2011, 12:25 PM
Only difference is Lake is not a natural forward, he would rely too heavy on his marking and would not add any forward pressure.

Not quite apples for apples but I recall a new coach helping to energise and transform the career of a key defender in Lake's age range, who was similarly plagued with serious and ongoing health issues, into a fearsome forward target, reaping fairly handy rewards.

His name: Alastair Lynch

Mofra
20-09-2011, 12:30 PM
Fraser Gehrig was traded into St Kilda as a FB too - made quite a forward.

Only concern is teaching Lake to lead hard - his normal forays forward he doesn't quiet present, and does that jogging lead with one hand in the air. Forwards need to demand the ball.

I'd definetaly want a second tall down there in soem form though to help out Jones.

LostDoggy
20-09-2011, 12:43 PM
Lake's kicking for isn't that good either. He needs a bit of work to make it there.

LostDoggy
20-09-2011, 01:49 PM
Lake's kicking for isn't that good either. He needs a bit of work to make it there.

Cloke just made AA up forward and he's 50/50 from anywhere at anytime.

Desipura
20-09-2011, 02:04 PM
Not quite apples for apples but I recall a new coach helping to energise and transform the career of a key defender in Lake's age range, who was similarly plagued with serious and ongoing health issues, into a fearsome forward target, reaping fairly handy rewards.

I have responded to this before, Lynch played full forward at Fitzroy.

w3design
20-09-2011, 02:29 PM
Neitz was a backmen

bornadog
20-09-2011, 02:37 PM
Neitz was a backmen

Yes, perfect example Ant.

1eyedog
20-09-2011, 02:52 PM
Why is it odd? Can you give an educated response instead of claiming a comment as odd?

Brian played as a forward prior to getting drafted and was drafted as a forward. He is a strong mark in a contested situation and is quick over 20 metres, he has proven that he knows where to position himself with the ball coming in (as you are aware he was number 1 for marking opposition kicks) and his presence in the forward line takes the number 1 back away from Jones.

My only problem with Brian playing forward is that he is not an overly accurate kick.

Provided Marko can hold down full back (and I think he will continue to improve here) with assistance from Williams and eventually Morris, I think the Lake forward experiment is certainly worth looking at and I can understand why McCartney is interested in it.

If Brian is fit he is quick enough and smart enough to cut space and get to contests to be competitive if the ball hits the ground, the really encouraging part of him playing forward is that the ball won't hit the ground as much if he is in there.

Kosi started at CHB and has played as a full forward (with limited success) for 70% of the time since he moved away from CHB.
Petrie played all of his early games at CHB for North Melbourne
Ryder started at CHB and now exclusively moves from the ruck to FF
Neitz went to FF from CHB at Melbourne
Roach played his first 17 games at CHB

I'm not sure whether we actaully need Lake to kick bags of goals for us at FF, it's more about creating contest and helping out our developing forwards. With no other options other than to play jones at FF, does the benefit here outweigh what he will give us fully fit at FB?

What is your reasoning for not playing Brian forward?

Rocket Science
20-09-2011, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by Rocket Science
Not quite apples for apples...

I have responded to this before, Lynch played full forward at Fitzroy.

Right you are, though was a genuine swing man pre-Brisbane.

Also, Lake was drafted as a full forward from memory.

I'm iffy on Lake's virtues as a forward target myself, and despite our dearth of key position types up that end I'm not convinced ripping a guy out of a vital position he's extremely accomplished at is the smartest approach anyway, but it's still a curious proposition to ponder with a new coach seeking to transition/transform the side.

The Doctor
20-09-2011, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by Rocket Science
Not quite apples for apples...

Right you are, though was a genuine swing man pre-Brisbane.

One of my favorite footy memories is when Danny Delre ripped him to pieces in 1992 and kicked 4 or 5 on him in a quarter. :D

Nuggety Back Pocket
20-09-2011, 04:02 PM

The only reason you would play Lake forward is out of sheer desperation. He is simply a natural defender and a good one at that. Providing Lake';s body is fit and well, he should return to his former self in a defence that badly lacks his class and brilliance. McCartney could just be the right tonic to get the best out of Brian Lake.

boydogs
20-09-2011, 04:17 PM
I'd definetaly want a second tall down there in soem form though to help out Jones.

I'd definitely want a second tall down back to help out Williams ;)

Desipura
20-09-2011, 04:34 PM
Yes, perfect example Ant.
And 5 years younger

Desipura
20-09-2011, 04:37 PM
The only reason you would play Lake forward is out of sheer desperation. He is simply a natural defender and a good one at that. Providing Lake';s body is fit and well, he should return to his former self in a defence that badly lacks his class and brilliance. McCartney could just be the right tonic to get the best out of Brian Lake.
You make alot of sense. If he is mentally/physically right, why would you try and convert an All Australian full back to a full forward at the age of 30?

G-Mo77
20-09-2011, 06:13 PM
I am more interested in seeing how B-Mac goes in getting Brian even fit enough to play because at present his body is a broken down mess and from reports (and from personal viewing) Brian isn't the hardest worker going around.

I've got no doubt about that!

Monty is a super villain around here for stating it so be careful Mantis. :D

bornadog
20-09-2011, 06:14 PM
You make alot of sense. If he is mentally/physically right, why would you try and convert an All Australian full back to a full forward at the age of 30?

I agree, Lake is an AA fullback and should stay in the backline.

Maddog37
20-09-2011, 06:24 PM
I've got no doubt about that!

Monty is a super villain around here for stating it so be careful Mantis. :D

It's not that he said it, it is where he said it.

The Doctor
20-09-2011, 06:44 PM
From my external observation Brian Lake has been acting like a pampered prima donna and a straight talking asst coach came out and told some home truths about him. I hope the new coach does likewise.

chef
20-09-2011, 06:51 PM
From my external observation Brian Lake has been acting like a pampered prima donna and a straight talking asst coach came out and told some home truths about him. I hope the new coach does likewise.

To bad he didn't have the balls to say it to his face.

AndrewP6
20-09-2011, 06:52 PM
I hope Paul can convince Briza of his worth to the team, and they can get him fit and firing for 2012. As for the "Brian the Forward" thing, to me, it's clutching at straws. He's a natural FB, and on song is arguably the best one going. Put him back there, and throw him forward at times to test the opposition/keep them guessing.

The Doctor
20-09-2011, 07:12 PM
To bad he didn't have the balls to say it to his face.

How do you know he didn't?

chef
20-09-2011, 07:35 PM
How do you know he didn't?

According to Lake he didn't.

hujsh
20-09-2011, 10:16 PM
For all the talk about Lake not being a hard worker, I can't even imagine having to take a suppository before training. I'd want a mini pre-season too.

Maybe that's why I'm not in the AFL.

Maddog37
20-09-2011, 10:20 PM
There are not too many lazy two time all Australians..........

anfo27
20-09-2011, 10:54 PM
My boss told me today that last year Brian was booked in to have his operations by the club but told the club he would not be having the ops at that time because it would effect his holidays and he didn't want to be doing recovery on his holidays. He told the club he will be having the operations when he got back from holidays and the club was very against this as I would be.
I told my boss that I didn't believe that to be true as I had not heard this before but he assured me this was true. Can someone please verify this story.

bornadog
21-09-2011, 12:25 AM
My boss told me today that last year Brian was booked in to have his operations by the club but told the club he would not be having the ops at that time because it would effect his holidays and he didn't want to be doing recovery on his holidays. He told the club he will be having the operations when he got back from holidays and the club was very against this as I would be.
I told my boss that I didn't believe that to be true as I had not heard this before but he assured me this was true. Can someone please verify this story.

Confirmed. This did not help him one bit to recover properly.

Sockeye Salmon
21-09-2011, 05:58 AM

Didn't he have one operation, go on holidays and come back for another? There was some medical reason he had to wait for the second op anyway.

GVGjr
21-09-2011, 06:48 AM
Didn't he have one operation, go on holidays and come back for another? There was some medical reason he had to wait for the second op anyway.

That is my understanding.

the banker
21-09-2011, 08:29 AM

This

anfo27
21-09-2011, 09:44 AM

I hope Sockeye version is correct otherwise I'd be very disappointed Brian. To have a player dictate to them when they will or will not do their recovery is bordering on the ridiculous and paints Brian in a very unprofessional light. Brian would deserve all the criticism that has come his way as he has let the club, players, supporters and himself down. I really hope Sockeye is correct in his version of events.

Mantis
21-09-2011, 09:53 AM

I call Bullshit. Get your facts straight.

ledge
21-09-2011, 09:54 AM
I hope Sockeye version is correct otherwise I'd be very disappointed Brian. To have a player dictate to them when they will or will not do their recovery is bordering on the ridiculous and paints Brian in a very unprofessional light. Brian would deserve all the criticism that has come his way as he has let the club, players, supporters and himself down. I really hope Sockeye is correct in his version of events.

Dont sweat Sockeye is correct , had one op went on hols , came back for second op, both couldnt be done at once, this put him right behind the 8ball.
When he finally plays he still isnt right, media starts and it builds from there..

It did put a bit of distance between him and the copaching staff no doubt but if McCartney is one to do the things he says and has been reported to do, I have no doubt Brian isnt going anywhere and will enjoy his footy with us again.

Mantis
21-09-2011, 09:55 AM

This isn't quite correct either.

Had 2 surgeries came back to training after holidays and then had to have another one. Tried to keep the last one hidden as he thought it wasn't too serious, but if it was and needed treatment it would affect his holiday.

bornadog
21-09-2011, 10:48 AM
I call Bullshit. Get your facts straight.

Do you mind no need to respond in this manner:mad:

Had 2 surgeries came back to training after holidays and then had to have another one. Tried to keep the last one hidden as he thought it wasn't too serious, but if it was and needed treatment it would affect his holiday.

So not totally wrong:rolleyes:

Mantis
21-09-2011, 11:02 AM
So not totally wrong:rolleyes:

But far from correct.

You backed up a rumour that Brian in discussion with the club decided to put on hold off-season surgery which wasn't the case.

bornadog
21-09-2011, 11:21 AM
But far from correct.

You backed up a rumour that Brian in discussion with the club decided to put on hold off-season surgery which wasn't the case.

Ok, got it wrong in the sequence and happy to admit it, but as I said don't respond the way you did. That sort of stuff is best left to other forums not WOOF.

Soon we will have other forum members responding the same way and then we end up deteriorating like many others.

LostDoggy
21-09-2011, 01:01 PM
Well, with a new coach (and possibly new assistants) the past is now the past and the focus should all be on either getting him right to play for the Dogs or getting the best possible trade for him.

OLD SCRAGGer
21-09-2011, 04:00 PM
Was down at Pound this morning & Brian & Manager Marty Pask arrived for meeting with coach, was there for about an hour or so. Not sure what to make of it all!!! :confused:

anfo27
21-09-2011, 05:28 PM

Well if that is correct then i'm disgusted in Brian. No wonder the coaches gave him a rough time. He compromised his own season for the sake of a holiday and in turn watches his team mates struggle without him. If i was a team mate or coach i would be filthy with him. He is our highest or 2nd highest player and making a call like that seems very selfish to me. That behaviour could just about be a deal breaker for me.

Really gutted with this story.

LostDoggy
22-09-2011, 03:48 AM
Well if that is correct then i'm disgusted in Brian. No wonder the coaches gave him a rough time. He compromised his own season for the sake of a holiday and in turn watches his team mates struggle without him. If i was a team mate or coach i would be filthy with him. He is our highest or 2nd highest player and making a call like that seems very selfish to me. That behaviour could just about be a deal breaker for me.

Really gutted with this story.

Brian didnt compromised his season or that of the team for a holiday,the injury wasnt to bad IF you had listened to any of Eades interviews he had said Lake tore the bicep muscle at training (pre season)training that is he had Knee op in Sept straight after the season then had his hip done and shoulder,went to training and tore the bicep muscle that was hanging by a thread.See how long you would recover from all that and then be told to play still injured.So people STOP and THINK what he went through,and then be told in the Media you are mentally weak.

Desipura
22-09-2011, 07:04 AM
Ok, got it wrong in the sequence and happy to admit it, but as I said don't respond the way you did. That sort of stuff is best left to other forums not WOOF.

Soon we will have other forum members responding the same way and then we end up deteriorating like many others.

Sorry I have to say although the response was not ideal, please do not confirm something that is not true.
It's like another forum where they confirm every player being traded to us during trade period.
Is it any wonder why that other forum has lost credibility.

bornadog
22-09-2011, 11:05 AM
Sorry I have to say although the response was not ideal, please do not confirm something that is not true.
It's like another forum where they confirm every player being traded to us during trade period.
Is it any wonder why that other forum has lost credibility.

Well is this true or not

Tried to hide the last one?

Anfo27's boss said he came back from holiday and wanted to have the operations after that. Well, he had two ops pre his holiday, according to Mantis and tried to hide the third. So confirmed partially.

Either way, I feel Brian was not handled well by the MC. He may be mentally weak, but you don't ignore that either. You have to deal with it in the right way.

Maddog37
22-09-2011, 11:35 AM
All in all no matter who is to blame the Lake issue was a debacle. Probably no one is completely innocent. I hope the issues are addressed on both sides and we move onwards and upwards.

I would rather have a fit and firing Lake than a fit and firing assistant coach if all things are equal.

I will also admit I am a massive Lake fan not just for the way he plays, but the way he treated our family at a training session when we went down once. He was genuine and friendly where others where aloof and business like. He virtually cemented the loyalty of my kids to the Dogs and if he goes I would be gutted.

Nuggety Back Pocket
22-09-2011, 11:23 PM
Well is this true or not

Tried to hide the last one?

Anfo27's boss said he came back from holiday and wanted to have the operations after that. Well, he had two ops pre his holiday, according to Mantis and tried to hide the third. So confirmed partially.

Either way, I feel Brian was not handled well by the MC. He may be mentally weak, but you don't ignore that either. You have to deal with it in the right way.

The Club erred in playing the Lake saga out into the
Media. Strong clubs have the ability to keep these matters in house. Little point in arguing who was right or wrong. Suffice to say I felt Lake's interview on the footy show last week smacked of a lack of maturity.

GVGjr
22-09-2011, 11:59 PM
Just on Lake.
Before the start of the season the club and Eade kept confirming that he would be right to go from round one when it was apparent that wasn't achievable. I'm not sure if this weighed heavily on Lake or not but he was in some way set-up to fail or at the very least disappoint a lot of the fans. I don't think he handled things well but mistakes were made by both parties.

I'm taking last year as a one off and I'd expect our new coach to get him back on track pretty quickly. With Lake back anchoring the backline I think we can make a lot of improvement next season.

bornadog
23-09-2011, 12:51 PM
Just on Lake.
Before the start of the season the club and Eade kept confirming that he would be right to go from round one when it was apparent that wasn't achievable. I'm not sure if this weighed heavily on Lake or not but he was in some way set-up to fail or at the very least disappoint a lot of the fans. I don't think he handled things well but mistakes were made by both parties.

I'm taking last year as a one off and I'd expect our new coach to get him back on track pretty quickly. With Lake back anchoring the backline I think we can make a lot of improvement next season.

A mate was talking to Lake pre-round one and Lake said the club was trying to get him to play the following week ie rd 2 or 3, but he said to my mate that he would not be ready for at least 5 weeks.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-09-2011, 08:09 PM
A mate was talking to Lake pre-round one and Lake said the club was trying to get him to play the following week ie rd 2 or 3, but he said to my mate that he would not be ready for at least 5 weeks.

This was one of Eade's biggest faults as a coach. He persisted with playing injured players; Lake, Johnson and Higgins spring to mind. All three were clearly (and badly) not ready/under performing.

Topdog
23-09-2011, 08:23 PM
This was one of Eade's biggest faults as a coach. He persisted with playing injured players; Lake, Johnson and Higgins spring to mind. All three were clearly (and badly) not ready/under performing.

Agreed, although I include our match committee and doctors in the criticism.

azabob
23-09-2011, 08:26 PM
Apparently Dunstall said on triple m radio they would love lake but not enough room in the salary cap.

Remi Moses
23-09-2011, 10:51 PM
Apparently Dunstall said on triple m radio they would love lake but not enough room in the salary cap.

Heard that also. He stated that Lake doesn't fit their Age category as well.
I reckon he'll stay, I can't see anyone taking his salary and giving up sufficient picks.

1eyedog
24-09-2011, 12:39 AM
All in all no matter who is to blame the Lake issue was a debacle. Probably no one is completely innocent. I hope the issues are addressed on both sides and we move onwards and upwards.

I would rather have a fit and firing Lake than a fit and firing assistant coach if all things are equal.

I will also admit I am a massive Lake fan not just for the way he plays, but the way he treated our family at a training session when we went down once. He was genuine and friendly where others where aloof and business like. He virtually cemented the loyalty of my kids to the Dogs and if he goes I would be gutted.

That sounds fair enough too. Good to hear Bryza making the effort.

1eyedog
24-09-2011, 12:41 AM
Heard that also. He stated that Lake doesn't fit their Age category as well.
I reckon he'll stay, I can't see anyone taking his salary and giving up sufficient picks.

Not even for a flag? Hawthorn could really use him for the next two years as they challenge.

Remi Moses
24-09-2011, 04:42 AM
Not even for a flag? Hawthorn could really use him for the next two years as they challenge.

Just quoting Dunstall on dribble M.
Funny they got Cameron Bruce in ( think they regret that) he'd be near 30

Ghost Dog
24-09-2011, 10:31 AM
lake set to stay, as reoprted in the age today.

1eyedog
26-09-2011, 03:45 PM
Just quoting Dunstall on dribble M.
Funny they got Cameron Bruce in ( think they regret that) he'd be near 30

Yes indeed. I think he's beyond 30 now. He had a very good year at Melbourne before he went to Hawthorn, looks like the Ds got out of that one very nicely.

Pity to see a favourite son move like that at the end of his career, seeing Doug in a Fitzroy jumper never sat too well.

Stefcep
02-10-2011, 12:56 PM

I actually don't think he is a natural defender. He had ONE great season as AA Full-back, (in the season his contract expired).

IMO defenders need to be able to make good decisions under pressure-especially in today's forward-press- more often than forwards. For all his plaudits-and I know he is a fan favourite in these parts- he has a history of doing some of the "dumbest" things you can as a full back.

It wasn't by co-incidence that Eade had so many goes at him, and I've done the same in the stands : he just does some really dumb and costly things at times. His decision-making is BAD.

So as full-forward he has to 1. lead and win a contested mark 2. kick it at the goals. 3. Thats it. More in-line with Brian's decision-making skills.

Stefcep
02-10-2011, 01:40 PM
Agreed, although I include our match committee and doctors in the criticism.

Interesting that Dr Zimmerman on the Grand Final suggested that Podsiadly's shoulder could be popped back in and he should be back for the rest of the game. Pods was stretchered off, a few minutes later it was announced he was gone for the rest of the game, and his shoulder was tightly-bandaged. I think he also down-played the extent of the impact of a few other injuries. I don't expect any doctor to make a diagnosis over a video of an in jury, but that which is exactly i would have expected him to say, yet he was quick on the "She'll be right, Pods will be back in 20 minutes" attitude.

Maybe it suggests our medico's take a less cautious approach to player injuries?

bornadog
02-10-2011, 01:56 PM
Interesting that Dr Zimmerman on the Grand Final suggested that Podsiadly's shoulder could be popped back in and he should be back for the rest of the game. Pods was stretchered off, a few minutes later it was announced he was gone for the rest of the game, and his shoulder was tightly-bandaged. I think he also down-played the extent of the impact of a few other injuries. I don't expect any doctor to make a diagnosis over a video of an in jury, but that which is exactly i would have expected him to say, yet he was quick on the "She'll be right, Pods will be back in 20 minutes" attitude.

Maybe it suggests our medico's take a less cautious approach to player injuries?

Zimmerman was saying if its a dislocated shoulder thats what you can do. However, if it was more serious I am sure he would not be advocating for the player to come back on.

Stefcep
02-10-2011, 02:14 PM
Zimmerman was saying if its a dislocated shoulder thats what you can do. However, if it was more serious I am sure he would not be advocating for the player to come back on.

Don't know about that. He sounded certain that it was a dislocated shoulder and that it could be popped back in and Pods would be able to play on.

Anyway he gave me the impression that he didn't have a conservative take on injuries.

LostDoggy
02-10-2011, 02:24 PM
Don't know about that. He sounded certain that it was a dislocated shoulder and that it could be popped back in and Pods would be able to play on.

Anyway he gave me the impression that he didn't have a conservative take on injuries.

He also suggested jolly was just about gone in the 1st q. That's very conservative.

Greystache
02-10-2011, 02:27 PM
I actually don't think he is a natural defender. He had ONE great season as AA Full-back, (in the season his contract expired).

IMO defenders need to be able to make good decisions under pressure-especially in today's forward-press- more often than forwards. For all his plaudits-and I know he is a fan favourite in these parts- he has a history of doing some of the "dumbest" things you can as a full back.

It wasn't by co-incidence that Eade had so many goes at him, and I've done the same in the stands : he just does some really dumb and costly things at times. His decision-making is BAD.

So as full-forward he has to 1. lead and win a contested mark 2. kick it at the goals. 3. Thats it. More in-line with Brian's decision-making skills.

Did you mean to post this in the 2007 discussion?

One good season? He was dual All Australian in 2009 & 2010, won the B&F in 2007, and was dominant in 2008. Also for accuracy, 2011 was the second year of his contract, the first year of his contract was his career best season.

As for being a bad decision maker and doing dumb things, again have you seen him play since 2006?

anfo27
02-10-2011, 02:31 PM

One good season? He was dual All Australian in 2009 & 2010, won the B&F in 2007, and was dominant in 2008. Also for accuracy, 2011 was the second year of his contract, the first year of his contract was his career best season.

As for being a bad decision maker and doing dumb things, again have you seen him play since 2006?

spot on. He may have the odd brain fade but overall the guy is star back there and we would not have made top 4 3 years is a row without his brillance.

hujsh
02-10-2011, 02:36 PM
Greystache sums it up perfectly.

ratsmac
02-10-2011, 02:41 PM

Nice post. Playing on the best forward every week makes even the best back-men make nervous decisions from time to time. Was arguably our best player in 2010.

I believe Brian will be staying

Stefcep
02-10-2011, 04:28 PM

One good season? He was dual All Australian in 2009 & 2010, won the B&F in 2007, and was dominant in 2008.

I thought he was deserving in 2010, a flip of the coin in 2009

Also for accuracy, 2011 was the second year of his contract, the first year of his contract was his career best season.

i stand corrected. One season befitting one of the best paid at the club, one season where we got nothing.

So basically Eade did not go off his nut at Lake since 2006, and Lake held all that in for 5 years? His decision making coming our of defense is questionable,( but he can read the play with the ball coming in well.)

The Bulldogs Bite
02-10-2011, 06:38 PM
I thought he was deserving in 2010, a flip of the coin in 2009

i stand corrected. One season befitting one of the best paid at the club, one season where we got nothing.

So basically Eade did not go off his nut at Lake since 2006, and Lake held all that in for 5 years? His decision making coming our of defense is questionable,( but he can read the play with the ball coming in well.)

I would hate to see you analyse the game of any other player on our list, including our captain.

Lake is our best player. He's one of the best in the AFL when fit.

boydogs
02-10-2011, 06:44 PM

I think that's taking it a bit far - I agree he seemed very conclusive, where to me the impact seemed like it would have aggrevated the joint more than a regular dislocation, but that's what he was paid to do - make a conclusion from watching the video alone.

Greystache
02-10-2011, 06:49 PM

Because Eade is unable to control his emotions, one of his short comings as a coach. To say Lake is a poor decision maker in his past 80 odd games is ridiculous.

Go_Dogs
03-10-2011, 02:12 PM
To say Lake is a poor decision maker in his past 80 odd games is ridiculous.

Agreed.

Still does the odd stupid thing, which can be frustrating, but he makes the decision when to go for the interception, then when to dash off arguably better than anyone. His ball use is generally pretty effective and he does choose good options.

I hope we persist with him down back, but if we're playing Williams, Morris and Markovic then perhaps we can give Lake spells up forward more often, pending match ups etc.

Going to be interesting to see how he goes in 2012.

Go_Dogs
03-10-2011, 02:14 PM
I think that's taking it a bit far - I agree he seemed very conclusive, where to me the impact seemed like it would have aggrevated the joint more than a regular dislocation, but that's what he was paid to do - make a conclusion from watching the video alone.

I tend to agree.

He wouldn't have been able to assess Pods' injury accurately just from the footage. The Geelong medicos were trying to pop it back in too, obviously they had some difficulty and it was then decided it was a little more serious.

Nuggety Back Pocket
04-10-2011, 06:19 PM
Agreed.

Still does the odd stupid thing, which can be frustrating, but he makes the decision when to go for the interception, then when to dash off arguably better than anyone. His ball use is generally pretty effective and he does choose good options.

I hope we persist with him down back, but if we're playing Williams, Morris and Markovic then perhaps we can give Lake spells up forward more often, pending match ups etc.

Going to be interesting to see how he goes in 2012.

From what I am led to believe McCartney sees Lake as best by far in a key defensive role.
I would be most surprised if we do not see a much better prepared Lake both mentally and physically in 2012.