PDA

View Full Version : So You're An Eastern Western Bulldog

Doc26
20-09-2011, 01:25 PM
First up, I’m declaring some bias here and nominating my seven year old daughter as this week’s Rising Star Award nominee.

As now occurs each year at this time of year, my daughter’s primary school declares a ‘footy day’ where all the kids and teachers get in the spirit of AFL finals week donning their favourite team colours and participating in a range of footy related activities and lunching out on pies and hot dogs.

Anyway, today is that day.

Dropping my daughter off to school this morning brought back memories of the many years at school where I would find myself in a similar position, that is, being the lone Bulldog amongst what appeared a school made up from nothing more than Hawks and Bombers.

Throughout my years at primary and secondary school there were no other Bulldog comrades who I could look to share some support from the ribbing and ridicule that went with the turf over the years. I did have a mate who bravely declared himself a Saint, so together we did ride some bumps together but generally I just learnt to go it alone and grin and bear it from kids that were fortunate enough to be born into their given team playing off in a grand final every other year.

At its worst it was tough as a young kid out east following the Bulldogs, in a region where there was no other kid that would share the load of flying the Bulldog flag. I still have memories of regularly coming home with my dad from a Saturday afternoon following another belting, crying myself to sleep and hating this Club for putting me through the ignominy of it all, and with the thought of having to roll up to school again and defend the Club. I should declare that there was a brief period, I was around 8 or 9, when I relented and parked my beloved guernsey in favour of a Big V jumper, just seemed a safer bet at the time, but it wasn’t long before I questioned my own loyalty and the Big V strip was shelved forever.

Not sure whatever happened to my Saint mate, hopefully he made it through. For me, it probably explains the chip on my shoulder and why I find myself working for minorities and the underprivileged.

On appearance not much would appear to have changed over the years out east. As with my own school days, my little girl now finds herself equally confronted with the typical majority set of Hawks, Bombers and Blues. It does feel like I have cruelly handed over the baton to her as she seeks to find her own way of dealing with the developing arrogance that goes with the ‘privileged’ class of AFL football fans.

I need not worry, as if she was going into battle with Boydy and Crossy, steadfast and proud, decked out in everything red, white and blue, she entered the school grounds to take on the charge of what it is to be an Eastern Western Bulldog.

Bulldog Revolution
20-09-2011, 01:38 PM
Great stuff Doc, this is excellent character building for the young lady in question and I second the nomination

Sedat
20-09-2011, 01:50 PM
I am a reformed Northern Western Bulldogs turned Eastern. I'm proudly fighting the good fight in enemy territory that is full of shiny new brown and gold scarves with the price tags still on them. I have my kids by my side - if I have to suffer nearly 40 years of mediocrity laced with heartbreak, they can drink some concrete and harden up as well :D

LostDoggy
20-09-2011, 01:52 PM
Excellent.

dadsgirl16
20-09-2011, 03:09 PM
Love it!!

Being a born and breed Western Suburbs chick I never went thru it but I am sure its character building

Nuggety Back Pocket
20-09-2011, 03:31 PM
My experience is similar to Doc26, although in slightly different circumstances having been raised in a strong Fitzroy family background before converting to the WB at age 17. I have witnessed all the highs and lows of both clubs but maintain my passion for the red, white and blue. We continue to live in hope with Brendan McCartney's appointment breathing new life into our Club.

1eyedog
20-09-2011, 03:47 PM
Doc26 I suffered the same fate going to primary school in Geelong where 80% of the school supported the cats. every year for class photos I would don the now retro footscray jumper and have at em' as EJ might say.

My son goes to school and does Auskick here in Brunswick and has one friend who is a Bulldogs supporter so they have each others backs at school and at Auskick, much more than I ever had when I was his age.

LostDoggy
20-09-2011, 03:59 PM
Yep, I was one of the very few in my primary school who barracked for the Bulldogs. I still remember being followed around on a Monday morning by a crowd of mean kids chanting "What happened to Footscraaaay?" "What happened to Footscraaaay?" :(

But I did wear my long sleeved 'retro' woollen guernsey with Andrew Pursers no. 1 & signature on the back proudly. And I think it toughened me up too. :D

craigsahibee
20-09-2011, 04:13 PM
I was related to the only other kids that followed the Bulldogs at my Primary School in Mooroolbark. When it came to back-up in a fight, my two younger sisters weren't that helpful really.

I did manage to convert one classmate along the way, but sadly he was even shorter than me.

Proudly wore the duffle coat with "Wheels'" name and number on the back, win lose or draw during those cold winter mornings in the outer east.

Growing up in Mooroolbark with red hair and following the doggies is certainly character building.

soupman
20-09-2011, 04:49 PM
A fellow Eastern Western Bulldog, in a family full of them (two sisters, my parents, cousins etc.).

I remember the primary school footy days, with our the Bulldogs fortunate to have two families worth of supporters, so 5 all up. Meanwhile the Rugby contingent had just as many.

I am 22, so went through year 6 listening to the taunts of bandwagoning Essendon supporters, the team which seems to dominate people in my age group and area. If there is a more consistently arrogant, ignorant and in your face club I am yet to find it, as all these years I have copped it from them. Round 21 in 2000 was sweet though.

I've been doing my bit for the cause though, and have converted several friends, and sold numerous memberships. Just not sure how many more "character building" seasons I can take though (and yes I realise at only 22 I am on the lower end of the scale here).

Dazza
20-09-2011, 05:23 PM
Hahaha.

My brother and I were the only doggies supporters in our whole school.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
20-09-2011, 05:31 PM
Fantastic post.
I recall clearly from the very early 80's fronting up to Noble Park primary and then Harrisfield Primary school on a Monday morning knowing full well there would be a bunch of kids waiting at the gate to remind me how shit the Dogs performed on Saturday.

LostDoggy
20-09-2011, 05:41 PM
My kids are flying the flag in WA, where they hold a similar day on the Friday before every Western Derby. They are pretty much the only kids not wearing purple or, shudder!, blue-and-gold. My eldest actually savours being different, and sticks it to the Eagles fans wherever he can. Unfortunately, I've yet to teach him some rationality :), and he started giving it out thick after they belted us earlier in the year, and he came home a bit the worse for wear…

There was another time a few Eagles players rocked up to school assembly, and he's called out, “Eagles suck! Doggies are the best!!”

I agree it's character building, this makes the most passionate supporter, in my view.

DragzLS1
20-09-2011, 05:43 PM
Funny I went to school in spotswood and all the kids were either Hawthorne or bombers supporters aswell.. No matter where u go but I didn't find the need to defend my club! Still remember chris grant serving cereal for breakfast one Thursday morning in our assembly area :)

bornadog
20-09-2011, 06:23 PM
These days I live in the West and my daughter who started school in prep also copped the same. The teacher asked the students to stick their hand up for Carlton, Essendon Hawks and Collingwood which just about covered everyone, except my daughter with the lone hand for the doggies.

When I hop on the train to make my way to Eithad I am pleasantly surprised these days to see so many Bulldogs supporters. 15 years ago there were very few on the train.

AndrewP6
20-09-2011, 07:08 PM
Fantastic post.
I recall clearly from the very early 80's fronting up to Noble Park primary and then Harrisfield Primary school on a Monday morning knowing full well there would be a bunch of kids waiting at the gate to remind me how shit the Dogs performed on Saturday.

Good lord, I probably went to school with you!!!! I went to NP Primary, lived there for 30 years until moving out on my own -small world!

AndrewP6
20-09-2011, 07:11 PM
Great post Doc26... I'm a teacher in the south-east, and we had Footy Dress Up Day today too, as well as a staff v students footy match. One girl in my grade is a Dogs fan, I saw her at this year's family day. She turns up today in a Dogs scarf AND Saints scarf! :eek: I was not impressed. On the oval for the match, I scanned around and only spotted about 6 kids in Dogs gear (in a school of over 860 kids - I know pretty much all the Dogs kids!). Gia's niece is a student at our school, she's my inside connection to the club ;) She graduates this year - not sure her little brother will be as reliable for gossip!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
20-09-2011, 07:44 PM
Good lord, I probably went to school with you!!!! I went to NP Primary, lived there for 30 years until moving out on my own -small world!

Jayzus, I was in Grade 2 and 3 there in 81 and 82 and could've done with a fellow Bulldog's supporter to knock about with back then. As far as I knew I was the only one and the flock of Carlton, Collingwood, Bombers and Hawk supporters was just overwhelming. There was one other kid in my grade who was a Saints supporter, he was perhaps the only one who related.

w3design
20-09-2011, 08:19 PM
Sad to say even growing up in doggies heartland ( outer west) we were still in the minority and in fact by grade six I was the ONLY dogs supporter. Kids banged wooden spoons in my face.:eek:

Loved the read Doc. May your daughter savor more success than all of us on this board.

AndrewP6
20-09-2011, 08:21 PM
Jayzus, I was in Grade 2 and 3 there in 81 and 82 and could've done with a fellow Bulldog's supporter to knock about with back then. As far as I knew I was the only one and the flock of Carlton, Collingwood, Bombers and Hawk supporters was just overwhelming. There was one other kid in my grade who was a Saints supporter, he was perhaps the only one who related.

You were a couple of years older - I was in Prep in '81. Still would've been nice to have bonded :)

Doc26
20-09-2011, 08:59 PM
Unfortunately my daughter has come home scarred from her school's 'footy day' today. We're managing it the best we can but right now it is overwhelming for us.

For any in the teaching profession, like AndrewP6, I'm looking for some advice as to what recourse we might have as I fear my little one has been subjected to abuse by her magpie loving grade 2 teacher that warrants a form of punishment by the education department, like being forced to watch a St Kilda game ad free.

Coming home in the car with her tonight, unannounced, she launches straight into the Collingwood anthem. Can you believe it ? Her teacher has taken it upon herself to brainwash the class, teaching them to the word a sound akin to running ones nails down a blackboard.:eek:

Is this behavior accepted in the profession ? :)

LostDoggy
20-09-2011, 09:15 PM
I never lived in Melbourne. Grew up in Ocean Grove for ten years which was infested with Geelong bogans, then moved further down the coast. Also infested with Geelong bogans. Lose/ lose scenario. Geelong players would still come to our school. Urghhhhhh. At school, I remember the Essendon supporters being the worst! This was late 90's early noughties. Still effing hate them to this day haha.

Me and my twin sister were the only Bulldogs supporters in I think what was our year level, the year below and the year above. And if we weren't, we were for sure the only ones who admitted it!

I've since moved back to Geelong region, and as you can imagine, resisting the urge to make rude comments to the Geelong players I see everywhere is tempting, but look, I can't back it up with any recent success so I just don't say anything.

As a result, I cannot WAIT for the day Geelong crash and burn.

On the bright side, on occasion being a Dogs supporter has worked amazingly well as a conversation starter with an extremely attractive Dogs supporter, but I don't seem to find many Doggies supporters.

LostDoggy
20-09-2011, 09:19 PM
Unfortunately my daughter has come home scarred from her school's 'footy day' today. We're managing it the best we can but right now it is overwhelming for us.

For any in the teaching profession, like AndrewP6, I'm looking for some advice as to what recourse we might have as I fear my little one has been subjected to abuse by her magpie loving grade 2 teacher that warrants a form of punishment by the education department, like being forced to watch a St Kilda game ad free.

Coming home in the car with her tonight, unannounced, she launches straight into the Collingwood anthem. Can you believe it ? Her teacher has taken it upon herself to brainwash the class, teaching them to the word a sound akin to running ones nails down a blackboard.:eek:

Sounds like my Grade Four teacher. Carlton loving filth who would make me feel like shit EVERY SINGLE MONDAY about the Bulldogs. He also used to throw metre-long wooden rulers at childrens heads, so that didn't do him many favours either to be honest.

Moral of the story: if the child hates horrible teacher, this can act as persuasion to hate said horrible teachers football club.

Serious advice though? I dont have any. Sorry!

AndrewP6
20-09-2011, 10:05 PM

Oh dear..cruel and unusual punishment, to say the least ;) Perhaps a stern look, and a even more stern "We'll have none of that filthy language in this car, little Miss!" :)

Unfortunately, your daughter appears to be still in the "My teacher knows everything, and only their opinion counts" phase of her life. It lasts for some time, can make life very difficult for you, but it does pass. Eventually.

But, as I said, teaching her the Filth song is just plain wrong.

w3design
20-09-2011, 10:35 PM
Great post Doc26... I'm a teacher in the south-east, and we had Footy Dress Up Day today too, as well as a staff v students footy match. One girl in my grade is a Dogs fan, I saw her at this year's family day. She turns up today in a Dogs scarf AND Saints scarf! :eek: I was not impressed. On the oval for the match, I scanned around and only spotted about 6 kids in Dogs gear (in a school of over 860 kids - I know pretty much all the Dogs kids!). Gia's niece is a student at our school, she's my inside connection to the club ;) She graduates this year - not sure her little brother will be as reliable for gossip!

Geez, Andrew, I just realised who you are. There would've been two more kids in doggies gear, my youngest 2, but they forgot about today.:rolleyes: You taught my eldest son in Prep (1994) He was in Grade 6 last year....

SonofScray
21-09-2011, 12:13 AM
I went to school in West Essendon. There were two Dogs fans, the rest followed the Bombers, or Carlton. In the entire school. Fair to say there were some tough days out in the yard. It was character building though, while also inducing a sense of hatred for all fans of those Clubs that will be passed down in every generation of my family.

The best part was on our Footy day, we had two guest players come along. Illja Gricic and Billy Kolynuik. My mate and I were the only ones that bothered to get a photo and autograph. They appreciated it.

Chicago1
21-09-2011, 09:07 AM
OK, I confess. I always had Bulldogs stuff on my classroom's walls when I taught in Box Hill, Ringwood and Bundoora. And I did try to brainwash my students who didn't follow any team into following the Bulldogs. Does that make me a bad person? :p

One of the best gifts I received for my birthday in 1985 was a Footscray jumper with #4(Brad Hardie) on the back presented by my Year 7 class. However, it was short sleeved! The year before I got a rabbit.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
21-09-2011, 01:05 PM
My son announced he wanted to be a Carlton supporter because he was getting teased at school (in East Keilor). Went as far as wearing a Carlton jumper around. Some days I couldn't look at him.

Nuggety Back Pocket
21-09-2011, 01:17 PM
I never lived in Melbourne. Grew up in Ocean Grove for ten years which was infested with Geelong bogans, then moved further down the coast. Also infested with Geelong bogans. Lose/ lose scenario. Geelong players would still come to our school. Urghhhhhh. At school, I remember the Essendon supporters being the worst! This was late 90's early noughties. Still effing hate them to this day haha.

Me and my twin sister were the only Bulldogs supporters in I think what was our year level, the year below and the year above. And if we weren't, we were for sure the only ones who admitted it!

I've since moved back to Geelong region, and as you can imagine, resisting the urge to make rude comments to the Geelong players I see everywhere is tempting, but look, I can't back it up with any recent success so I just don't say anything.

As a result, I cannot WAIT for the day Geelong crash and burn.

On the bright side, on occasion being a Dogs supporter has worked amazingly well as a conversation starter with an extremely attractive Dogs supporter, but I don't seem to find many Doggies supporters.

Ocean Grove was a success story for our new Coach, Brendan McCartney who took its local football club to 4 premierships before embarking on a successful assistants role at AFL level. You might want to check out our country supporter groups for further contact with doggie fans.
I believe there is a supporters group in Geelong for example.

the banker
21-09-2011, 01:37 PM
Started school at St Monicas, Wingfield Street Footscray. My dad was a Melbourne supporter, my mum didn't care. My first team were the Pies, don't know why, but I was five. By the time I was six, I was a bulldogs fan. I cant remember any real football influence in the school which seemed to be full of eastern european migrants. I became pretty footy obsessed but it was through TV replays, it was the early 60's. '61 was a big year with Barkly St decorated in the week leading up to the Grand Final. We moved from Footscray to the The Basin at the foot of the Dandenongs when I was 9. I was very handy as a player in following years and barracking for the Dogs never caused me any grief. We didn't get to games in those years. I always had my younger brother for support and he and I spent many hours playing imaginery games. We were bulldogs through and through and we still talk the same way about the game, the club and the players. We know we are outsiders to a degree, and our support is on the periphery, but it has endured for over 50 years. I still love the streets around Whitten Oval, and the intimate goodwill of the membership you experience at the pre-season intra club matches = bulldogs only. I have loved Footy and the Dogs my whole life, but I would never say I grew up in or have ever lived in a Football household. Most of my mates are Melbourne supporters. They all seem like frustrated part-timers to me.

LostDoggy
21-09-2011, 04:19 PM
Doc26, I think I can second your 'working with minorities' hypothesis -- in my work with plenty of NGOs and UN agencies, I meet a disproportionate number of Dogs fans amongst the Aussies in the industry. I suppose we identify with the disadvantaged and/or the working class.

I was abroad four years ago on Prelim final day trying to watch the damn thing on the net and wearing my colours, and my Swiss colleagues were nonplussed about the whole thing and asked me about the Dogs. I said "we're the best team in the country and going to win the championship again this year". They all nodded sagely. I think they thought it was soccer.

If it happened this year I could at least say "oh, its the Australian Prime Minister's team".

Scraggers
21-09-2011, 04:43 PM

Sorry Doc, but this works both ways ... As a Principal of a primary school, I make it my ambition to 'convert' at least one child per year to the Bulldogs ... Call it brain-washing if you will, but it is my life's ambition to succeed. One stinkin' Eagles supporter at a time. :D

Nuggety Back Pocket
21-09-2011, 05:33 PM
Sorry Doc, but this works both ways ... As a Principal of a primary school, I make it my ambition to 'convert' at least one child per year to the Bulldogs ... Call it brain-washing if you will, but it is my life's ambition to succeed. One stinkin' Eagles supporter at a time. :D

I would hope that you might up your work rate by 100% to at least two a year in the West!

Doc26
21-09-2011, 06:09 PM
Doc26, I think I can second your 'working with minorities' hypothesis -- in my work with plenty of NGOs and UN agencies, I meet a disproportionate number of Dogs fans amongst the Aussies in the industry.

I must be working for the wrong INGO then as I still find myself to be the lone Bulldog in the place with the possible exception of one country program manager who is generally out of the country.

If it wasn't for WOOF I'd have no one to talk to throughout the day ;)

LostDoggy
21-09-2011, 06:25 PM
Ocean Grove was a success story for our new Coach, Brendan McCartney who took its local football club to 4 premierships before embarking on a successful assistants role at AFL level. You might want to check out our country supporter groups for further contact with doggie fans.
I believe there is a supporters group in Geelong for example.

Yeah, my Dad used to play for Ocean Grove, but that was a long time before they were ever good haha! He's met McCartney and is pretty stoked about the new coach appointment.

I do know the Barwon Bulldogs are in Geelong, I was a member for a few years in mid noughties and it was really good! Then I kind of forgot in the last few years but I should get back into it. Thanks for reminding me actually! :)

LostDoggy
21-09-2011, 10:07 PM
I was related to the only other kids that followed the Bulldogs at my Primary School in Mooroolbark. ....

That's where I grew up (born in Footscray though). My younger brother had a couple of Footscray supporting mates through school, but not I. Remember one day the 12 teams were chalked onto the ground and you had to put a 1 or 2 cent piece under your team's name. Barely anything for the Bulldogs :( For some reason Richmond was popular out there back then.

Doc26
21-09-2011, 10:46 PM
That's where I grew up (born in Footscray though). My younger brother had a couple of Footscray supporting mates through school, but not I. Remember one day the 12 teams were chalked onto the ground and you had to put a 1 or 2 cent piece under your team's name. Barely anything for the Bulldogs :( For some reason Richmond was popular out there back then.

I agree. They're a lot of dormant Tigers in the east. They really are a sleeping giant that lot. Just wait until they start stringing some decent seasons together. There's still plenty of room left on the Richmond bandwagon.

Ghost Dog
21-09-2011, 11:40 PM
I grew up a pies fan but none of my family was into it so I lost interest after primary. Was into field hockey. Was good at AFL but too many bogans where I grew up.

I always remember those silver Bulldogs stickers. I had one on a folder and it captivated me for some reason.

Lived in Asia for years so not into it. Then I saw year of the dawgs...Fell in love with the club. Always go for the underdog.

Sorry, but I hate it how people try to convert kids. My uncle was always making these fake contracts and trying to force us to barrack for Essendon. Typical.

In my family mum, being a Bolshe catholic teacher, devised a system whereby you were assigned a club depending on who won the premiership that year. Then, when you were old enough to choose for yourself, you could. So systematic!

1eyedog
22-09-2011, 12:29 AM
I grew up a pies fan but none of my family was into it so I lost interest after primary. Was into field hockey. Was good at AFL but too many bogans where I grew up.

I always remember those silver Bulldogs stickers. I had one on a folder and it captivated me for some reason.

Lived in Asia for years so not into it. Then I saw year of the dawgs...Fell in love with the club. Always go for the underdog.

Sorry, but I hate it how people try to convert kids. My uncle was always making these fake contracts and trying to force us to barrack for Essendon. Typical.

In my family mum, being a Bolshe catholic teacher, devised a system whereby you were assigned a club depending on who won the premiership that year. Then, when you were old enough to choose for yourself, you could. So systematic!

It's amazing that you support the dogs really. I like the way you found the dogs rather than was brain washed by a fanatical father (sic) family like mine.

Ghost Dog
22-09-2011, 12:35 AM
It's amazing that you support the dogs really. I like the way you found the dogs rather than was brain washed by a fanatical father (sic) family like mine.

This club is full of character, I read up about the club history, became a member, get right into it.
My sister lives within viewing distance of Whitten Oval so I'm over that way a fair bit.
I'm another bleeding heart teacher....:rolleyes:

W W Biscuit
22-09-2011, 09:58 AM

Beautiful. I can so relate!

I grew up almost literally under the VFL Park grandstand. There wasn't a lot of love for the Bulldogs in Mulgrave during the mid 70s. Those daggy, primary school class photos were awash with Magpie, Hawk and Tiger colours. Blaagghh. Then there was me, the lone, perennially baggable supporter of poor old Footscray. Still, I proudly wore my long-sleeved Doggy jumper with the red collar. I'd rock up to school in it after the most fearful hidings, and boy were there a few of those back then!!

But now the worm has turned. I am lucky enough to be a teacher with ready access to scores of people with no fixed AFL allegiance. Looking after a refugee program in the northern suburbs, I do my bit for our recruiting department. At the beginning of the year, I suggested to my Year 12s that, whilst I would never exercise prejudice in my assessment of their work, it was perhaps only natural that I - on a subconscious level of course - may feel slightly more generous towards somebody with whom I shared some common ground...(cough)...say, in terms of the football team that they support. The next lesson, I was confronted by a class of Iraqis brandishing Bulldog stickers on their folders. One boy even bought a Footscray jumper to wear at an out-of-uniform fundraiser the following day!! I appointed him my deputy-in-charge of the class, and any requests (to go to lockers, etc) had to go through him. That, and I insisted on a guard of honour as he walked into the classroom. :D

LostDoggy
22-09-2011, 10:09 AM

What's the emoticon for man-admiration? You ******* legend! One stinkin' Eagles supporter at a time, eh? :) Brilliant work mate…

Now, could you please apply for the Principal's job at Charthouse Primary in Rockingham?

As for Doc26, there's only one thing to do, mate: Teach her to sing the Dogs song over the top of the Collingwood one. If she gets in trouble, buy her an icecream to assuage her guilt.

Daughter of the West
22-09-2011, 10:50 AM
I went to school in West Essendon. There were two Dogs fans, the rest followed the Bombers, or Carlton. In the entire school. Fair to say there were some tough days out in the yard. It was character building though, while also inducing a sense of hatred for all fans of those Clubs that will be passed down in every generation of my family.

I was always a dogs supporter before primary school (I have photos of me days old in Bulldogs booties care of relatives), but then was brainwashed into barracking for Essendon by my prep teacher (I went to primary school in the north west). Bit of mix with the all of the teams the kids barracked for though, the majority were Bombers, but then I remember Carlton, Geelong, Hawthorn, the filth and Saints supporters in my class. I think I then changed my allegiances about 8 times from primary to the end of high school.

However, I went along with my parents to the Western Bulldogs Team of the Century function (dad is a mad doggies supporter and the son of a bulldogs footballer) and I saw the light. I promised my dad shortly afterwards that I would buy a membership when I could afford it (when I finished studying and got a full time job). And I did, and haven't missed a year since.

I'm not a teacher though (an accountant), so I'm not sure how I fit into the bulldogs personality mould. Love WW Biscuit's and Scraggers work thought, keep fighting the good fight guys! :D

Doc26
22-09-2011, 01:13 PM

I grew up almost literally under the VFL Park grandstand. There wasn't a lot of love for the Bulldogs in Mulgrave during the mid 70s. Those daggy, primary school class photos were awash with Magpie, Hawk and Tiger colours. Blaagghh. Then there was me, the lone, perennially baggable supporter of poor old Footscray. Still, I proudly wore my long-sleeved Doggy jumper with the red collar. I'd rock up to school in it after the most fearful hidings, and boy were there a few of those back then!!

Love it. Strangely comforting to know now I was not alone afterall in my childhood experience of growing up as a lone Bulldog out in the eastern corrdor, there have been many examples posted up all over the place, although didn't come across as many Magpie colours. For me it was more a flood of Bombers, Hawks and Tigers.

One thing coming through in this thread is just how many teachers we have who are Bulldog affiliated and who individually are doing their bit to build our membership base through a non endorsed Bulldog education program. Maybe this career path chosen goes back to the experience of growing up as a minority Bulldog. Love it. Provides some comfort knowing that our future is in pretty good shape.

Maybe collectively you guys could pull together a set curriculum under the table and have it rolled out on mass.

So who is willing to put their hand up to be our inaugural Minister of Propaganda and National Enlightenment ?

LostDoggy
22-09-2011, 01:20 PM
Maybe collectively you guys could pull together a set curriculum under the table and have it rolled out on mass.

So who is willing to put their hand up to be our inaugural Minister of Propaganda and National Enlightenment ?

Hey just run it past our PM for endorsement -- make it part of the Education Revolution or what not.

PaddyWhack
23-09-2011, 02:39 PM
What a great thread - I'm 37, grew up in Keilor and originally barracked for Sth Melbourne, purely because my Dad barracked for them (he was the only Sth supporter at his country PS as well). That lasted until Swannies went north, so we both switched over to the Dogs - from one footy powerhouse to another (Mum grew up in Footscray)! At school, Swans or Dogs made no difference, because living out that way in the 80s, every little b*stard followed Essendon, and Simon Madden briefly taught at my PS - still, that made our (rare) victories over them all the more sweet! My lifelong hatred of the red and black was born and continues to simmer away to this day - that game in 2000 (and the 2006 elim final!:D) are the highlights of my Dogs barracking career. There is something about being a Dogs supporter - it's easy to barrack for the more successful clubs, but following the Dogs builds character - it's just a bit difficult explaining that to a 10 year-old in 2011!

LostDoggy
23-09-2011, 06:22 PM
Grew up in the South Eastern suburbs, one of very few doggies fans, lots of Saints supporters in the schools I went to, including my slightly older brother. Pssssssss.

My kids inherited it from me (sorry, gave them no choice). They are very resilient when they are one of the small handful that turn up in doggies gear to their colours days at school. Both went off today as proud as punch wearing respectively Ben Hudson's signed traiing guernsey and Daniel Cross' signed training guernsey from the 2010 season. This generated an extra bit for each of them of pride in their team.

Hotdog60
24-09-2011, 08:42 AM
I went to Hoddle st primary school right in the heart of the filth, must be why I have such broad shoulders now and it would take an extreme amount of work to get me mad.

Scraggers
25-09-2011, 04:04 AM
What's the emoticon for man-admiration? You ******* legend! One stinkin' Eagles supporter at a time, eh? :) Brilliant work mate…

Now, could you please apply for the Principal's job at Charthouse Primary in Rockingham?

As for Doc26, there's only one thing to do, mate: Teach her to sing the Dogs song over the top of the Collingwood one. If she gets in trouble, buy her an icecream to assuage her guilt.

You betcha :D

Eastdog
05-02-2012, 06:25 PM
I lived in Preston when I was an infant and then grew up in the Eastern Suburbs which is where I reside currently. Ive found that out East that there are quite a few Doggies fans including some of you on the forum. At my school in Wantirna there where a few Dogs fans in my year level. Ive never lived in Footscray or the Western Suburbs.

w3design
06-02-2012, 10:18 PM
Try being a South Aussie. I have my SANFL allegiances which I share with a few, but being the only dog growing up was tough. Being the only guy on the footy oval at trainings in a Dogs guernsey, the only one who knows about our lesser known players.

Is alright now. First training at a new club in a new locality. The club I play for is a mixture of small towns, with some residing the other side of the border in Western Vic. A couple more guys wearing Dogs gear on the track makes me feel better.

Cyberdoggie
07-02-2012, 01:01 PM
I was the only dog fan at my school in Syndal/Glen Waverley.

Having to defend my team everyday i think made me an even more determined follower of the red white and blue.

Eastdog
18-03-2012, 12:52 PM

Good story there Ghost Dog. I also found the Doggies on my own as well.

Eastdog
06-05-2012, 02:57 PM
I reckon these days that the Eastern Suburbs where l have mostly lived and grew up varies in support of clubs and it is really a mix. A couple of nights ago at my local fish and chip shop in Forest Hill I saw someone with a Bulldog jumper on and on the Eastern Freeway saw a car with Bulldogs stickers on it. I think supporters of clubs a pretty much found everywhere these days.

Murphy'sLore
08-05-2012, 02:59 PM
I reckon these days that the Eastern Suburbs where l have mostly lived and grew up varies in support of clubs and it is really a mix. A couple of nights ago at my local fish and chip shop in Forest Hill I saw someone with a Bulldog jumper on and on the Eastern Freeway saw a car with Bulldogs stickers on it. I think supporters of clubs a pretty much found everywhere these days.

Probably me driving to my Mum's place :D

LostDoggy
08-05-2012, 11:33 PM
First up, I’m declaring some bias here and nominating my seven year old daughter as this week’s Rising Star Award nominee.

As now occurs each year at this time of year, my daughter’s primary school declares a ‘footy day’ where all the kids and teachers get in the spirit of AFL finals week donning their favourite team colours and participating in a range of footy related activities and lunching out on pies and hot dogs.

Anyway, today is that day.

Dropping my daughter off to school this morning brought back memories of the many years at school where I would find myself in a similar position, that is, being the lone Bulldog amongst what appeared a school made up from nothing more than Hawks and Bombers.

Throughout my years at primary and secondary school there were no other Bulldog comrades who I could look to share some support from the ribbing and ridicule that went with the turf over the years. I did have a mate who bravely declared himself a Saint, so together we did ride some bumps together but generally I just learnt to go it alone and grin and bear it from kids that were fortunate enough to be born into their given team playing off in a grand final every other year.

At its worst it was tough as a young kid out east following the Bulldogs, in a region where there was no other kid that would share the load of flying the Bulldog flag. I still have memories of regularly coming home with my dad from a Saturday afternoon following another belting, crying myself to sleep and hating this Club for putting me through the ignominy of it all, and with the thought of having to roll up to school again and defend the Club. I should declare that there was a brief period, I was around 8 or 9, when I relented and parked my beloved guernsey in favour of a Big V jumper, just seemed a safer bet at the time, but it wasn’t long before I questioned my own loyalty and the Big V strip was shelved forever.

Not sure whatever happened to my Saint mate, hopefully he made it through. For me, it probably explains the chip on my shoulder and why I find myself working for minorities and the underprivileged.

On appearance not much would appear to have changed over the years out east. As with my own school days, my little girl now finds herself equally confronted with the typical majority set of Hawks, Bombers and Blues. It does feel like I have cruelly handed over the baton to her as she seeks to find her own way of dealing with the developing arrogance that goes with the ‘privileged’ class of AFL football fans.

I need not worry, as if she was going into battle with Boydy and Crossy, steadfast and proud, decked out in everything red, white and blue, she entered the school grounds to take on the charge of what it is to be an Eastern Western Bulldog.

Nice work Doc. I am bringing two dogs daughters up in cow town Adelaide. I cringe everytime the crows win a game.

Twodogs
09-05-2012, 11:45 AM

Hey Doc. Has your daughter stopped with the heresy and returned to the one true red, white and blue faith yet?

Murphy'sLore
09-05-2012, 01:37 PM
We had our footy day yesterday -- three Bulldogs in my daughter's class!! Maybe we shouldn't despair...

LostDoggy
09-05-2012, 04:52 PM
We had our footy day yesterday -- three Bulldogs in my daughter's class!! Maybe we shouldn't despair...

That's two more than were in my class!! :D

Bulldog4life
09-05-2012, 06:11 PM

Be interesting to know when the Schools have days like that how many of the bulldog supporters are junior members.

Doc26
09-05-2012, 06:46 PM

Maybe they're the same individual.

Hey Doc. Has your daughter stopped with the heresy and returned to the one true red, white and blue faith yet?

Twodogs, pleased to say she's stuck true and continuing to take up the battle with her teachers and classmates. Funny, I often find myself feeding her with come back lines built up after years of torment.

This Friday is a football team scarf day at her school so she's looking forward to donning her Bulldog colours.

Her two best friends at school are Lions supporters so our ladder position of 13th is slightly favouring her (us), with the Lions currently sitting at 14th. She's pretty satisfied with that.

Right now she's waiting patiently for me to arrive home to open the final pack of HS Football Cards which I've been informed by her contains Cooney, her favourite Bulldog.

Got to love the passion.

KT31
13-05-2012, 12:53 AM
Maybe they're the same individual.

Twodogs, pleased to say she's stuck true and continuing to take up the battle with her teachers and classmates. Funny, I often find myself feeding her with come back lines built up after years of torment.

This Friday is a football team scarf day at her school so she's looking forward to donning her Bulldog colours. Her two best friends at school are Lions supporters so our ladder position of 13th is slightly favouring her (us), with the Lions currently sitting at 14th. She's pretty satisfied with that.

Right now she's waiting patiently for me to arrive home to open the final pack of HS Football Cards which I've been informed by her contains Cooney, her favourite Bulldog.

Got to love the passion.

Woof (Bearded one) or traditional ?:)

Eastdog
19-11-2012, 11:48 PM
Be interesting to know when the Schools have days like that how many of the bulldog supporters are junior members.

Also be interesting to see the support of clubs in all the different local councils around Melbourne to see how many Bulldogs fans there are.

Eastdog
21-11-2012, 08:10 PM

But now the worm has turned. I am lucky enough to be a teacher with ready access to scores of people with no fixed AFL allegiance. Looking after a refugee program in the northern suburbs, I do my bit for our recruiting department. At the beginning of the year, I suggested to my Year 12s that, whilst I would never exercise prejudice in my assessment of their work, it was perhaps only natural that I - on a subconscious level of course - may feel slightly more generous towards somebody with whom I shared some common ground...(cough)...say, in terms of the football team that they support. The next lesson, I was confronted by a class of Iraqis brandishing Bulldog stickers on their folders. One boy even bought a Footscray jumper to wear at an out-of-uniform fundraiser the following day!! I appointed him my deputy-in-charge of the class, and any requests (to go to lockers, etc) had to go through him. That, and I insisted on a guard of honour as he walked into the classroom. :D

Nice story W W Biscuit. Hopefully in the future the Doggies will be well supported everywhere but that is going to take a lot of work.

Eastdog
21-02-2013, 05:42 PM
Having not been raised in Footscray or the Western suburbs since I started supporting the Doggies in 2001 I guess I've been used to the Western Bulldogs. I really hope someday though we can go back to our original suburban name Footscray Football Club. We should be proud of our clubs working class roots no matter where we come from. Our club is for anyone everywhere.

LostDoggy
21-02-2013, 06:09 PM
Growing up in the eastern suburbs and supporting the Western Bulldogs certainly was a character-building experience. Every footy day back in primary school (I actually went to Mooroolbark P.S. briefly too) there was me and one other kid in the red, white and blue. I always wore a woollen, long-sleeved Footscray jumper with the red collar and would cop the usual banter from all the hordes of St. Kilda and Richmond supporters. However I think times are changing, my younger brother has several Bulldog mates and teams seem to be spread out a lot more in terms of locality.

Remi Moses
21-02-2013, 06:25 PM
Richmond and Stkilda?
Talk about supporters in glass houses.

LostDoggy
21-02-2013, 10:12 PM
Richmond and Stkilda?
Talk about supporters in glass houses.

Never were the most intelligent bunch. ;)

Twodogs
22-02-2013, 02:03 PM

Got to love the passion.

There must be something about Adam Cooney that appeals to young girls. In 2008 when he told the burger ring engagent ring story on the Browlow podium my then 7 yo daughter said "But I want to marry Adam Cooney!!!!"

Eastdog
27-02-2013, 10:31 PM
It will be interesting when I go to the matches as a first year member on the trams or trains from the eastern suburbs to see what the support is like for the Doggies.

GVGjr
27-02-2013, 11:10 PM
It will be interesting when I go to the matches as a first year member on the trams or trains from the eastern suburbs to see what the support is like for the Doggies.

The train is excellent and plenty of Bulldog supporters commute in. I normally park at either the Mt Waverley or Jordanville stations and catch the train in when we are playing at Ethihad.

Eastdog
27-02-2013, 11:13 PM
The train is excellent and plenty of Bulldog supporters commute in. I normally park at either the Mt Waverley or Jordanville stations and catch the train in when we are playing at Ethihad.

Have you taken Tram 75 in to Etihad GVGjr.

GVGjr
27-02-2013, 11:24 PM
Have you taken Tram 75 in to Etihad GVGjr.

I'm right near the Tram (100mtr walk to a Tram stop) but it's too slow of a trip. As the old saying goes "Trains the way to go"

Eastdog
27-02-2013, 11:31 PM
I'm right near the Tram (100mtr walk to a Tram stop) but it's too slow of a trip. As the old saying goes "Trains the way to go"

Close to Deakin Uni I'm guessing. Travelling to Uni on the tram is very good as it is in the middle away from the roads and from my place it takes maybe 10-15 minutes. When you get closer to the city it gets held up.

Dazza
28-02-2013, 07:43 PM

I'm not sure if it's just because I notice them more than the average person. But it seems like there's been a few more doggies supporters on the pakenham/cranbourne line than a few years ago.

Eastdog
12-03-2013, 10:14 PM
I'm not sure if it's just because I notice them more than the average person. But it seems like there's been a few more doggies supporters on the pakenham/cranbourne line than a few years ago.

I don't use those train lines but that is good to hear that we have supporters out in the south-eastern suburbs. I wonder what it's like on the train lines from the northern suburbs for the Dogs. I'd imagine there would be heaps of Carlton and Collingwood supporters on those lines.

AndrewP6
12-03-2013, 11:00 PM

I've always seen our share. Also see them further in towards the city, which is good.

Cyberdoggie
13-03-2013, 01:43 PM

Ahh we may of sat next to each other on a previous train ride and not known it!

I used to communte from Syndal station, but this year i'll be training it in from the lovely bayswater station. You definately need your ipad coming home to baysie from the city.

I tested the run at the dogs v hawks NAB game friday week ago.
Ride in had cancelled train, then express half the way which was pretty good, 45min train ride to flinders st.
Coming back i missed the first train after the game, the next one didn't arrive until an hour later at 11:08pm, and it was chockers with all the sweaty sunburnt soundwave revellers already. I had to stand all the way back to bayswater. Didn't get home until about 12:25.
I think i'll be driving in for any nightgames.

strebla
13-03-2013, 02:45 PM
Hi Cyberdoggie any major event like sound wave is a nightmare for the trains.the footy traffic is normally so much better with a half hour wait the norm.i always try to get the first train that will take me as close to my destination and then wait for my train normally allowing me a seat.

craigsahibee
13-03-2013, 03:01 PM

I used to communte from Syndal station, but this year i'll be training it in from the lovely bayswater station. You definately need your ipad coming home to baysie from the city.

Ride in had cancelled train, then express half the way which was pretty good, 45min train ride to flinders st.
Coming back i missed the first train after the game, the next one didn't arrive until an hour later at 11:08pm, and it was chockers with all the sweaty sunburnt soundwave revellers already. I had to stand all the way back to bayswater. Didn't get home until about 12:25.

When heading out East ftom Etihad, I always find it a good idea to jump on the first available Belgrave or Lilydale line train. Often there is only a wait of a few minutes at Ringwood to get the alternate service.

The Underdog
13-03-2013, 04:20 PM

As someone who goes another 6 stations past Baysie, getting the train home from night games is terrible. It's put me off heading out to night games before and I tend to drive to night games now as I got sick of having to deal with late night abusive drunks on Friday & Saturday night, particularly once you pass Ringwood. And as you say, if you miss that first train, it can take hours to get home.

bornadog
13-03-2013, 04:33 PM
As someone who goes another 6 stations past Baysie, getting the train home from night games is terrible. It's put me off heading out to night games before and I tend to drive to night games now as I got sick of having to deal with late night abusive drunks on Friday & Saturday night, particularly once you pass Ringwood. And as you say, if you miss that first train, it can take hours to get home.

The best is to drive to station not too far from the city, park and take the train the last few stops. Parking at Eithad is also a nightmare and costly

Eastdog
13-03-2013, 04:49 PM
I take Tram 75 from Vermont South when I go into Deakin Uni. I was wondering exactly where outside Etihad Stadium tram 75 stops for anyone who takes it as Ill be using it a bit to get to the footy this year mainly for the daytime matches at Etihad.

Cyberdoggie
13-03-2013, 05:00 PM
I take Tram 75 from Vermont South when I go into Deakin Uni. I was wondering exactly where outside Etihad Stadium tram 75 stops for anyone who takes it as Ill be using it a bit to get to the footy this year mainly for the daytime matches at Etihad.

Looks like it goes along flinders st to spencer, then all the way up spencer until it stops at Latrobe st.

You can get off at bourke or latrobe, whichever suits you.

Cyberdoggie
13-03-2013, 05:04 PM
The best is to drive to station not too far from the city, park and take the train the last few stops. Parking at Eithad is also a nightmare and costly

I used to do that, drive into gardner on the GW line to save time and zones (zone 1).
but not sure if it's that cost effective unless it's a sunday or after 6pm.

Recent years i've been driving in with the family and parking in little bourke st car parking or general area where i can. It's probably slightly cheaper or similar price to a whole family taking PT and you don't have to put up with the drunks or having to stand the whole way.

Eastdog
13-03-2013, 05:06 PM
Looks like it goes along flinders st to spencer, then all the way up spencer until it stops at Latrobe st.

You can get off at bourke or latrobe, whichever suits you.

Yeah that should be alright then and I've heard that people who have taken the tram that the travel time is not too bad.

Murphy'sLore
13-03-2013, 06:23 PM
If we're taking the whole family we usually drive in and park round West Melbourne -- Stanley St or Rosslyn St -- and walk to Etihad from there. Never have a problem finding spots on game day -- one advantage of being a smaller club, I guess!

Cyberdoggie
14-03-2013, 12:18 AM
If we're taking the whole family we usually drive in and park round West Melbourne -- Stanley St or Rosslyn St -- and walk to Etihad from there. Never have a problem finding spots on game day -- one advantage of being a smaller club, I guess!

Used to do that to. Parked along the railway line near festival hall until my mates car got broken into one day, along with every other vehicle there.

Scared me off that area.

Murphy'sLore
14-03-2013, 01:35 PM
Nasty! Sorry to hear that, CD. We generally park up closer to King St, used to work round there so it feels familiar and safe. That could be a fallacy though from the sounds of it!

Eastdog
06-05-2013, 04:44 PM
Going with the tram in from Vermont South has been quite good as it virtually goes from close to where I live right to La Trobe St then the short walk to Etihad. You need to if your going from VS on the team to give yourself 2 hours before the match starts I reckon as the trip takes just a bit over an hour. Always good seeing and talking to a few Dogs fans on the tram going in.

Eastdog
03-07-2013, 09:51 PM
Went with the train last Saturday on the Glen Waverley line and didn't see too many Dogs fans on there which was disappointing but it was fairly empty as well. I heard that the Sunbury line was closed and maybe that was another factor in us not getting a big turn out at the match.

Cyberdoggie
04-07-2013, 01:49 PM
Went with the train last Saturday on the Glen Waverley line and didn't see too many Dogs fans on there which was disappointing but it was fairly empty as well. I heard that the Sunbury line was closed and maybe that was another factor in us not getting a big turn out at the match.

Never is on the GW line.

It's probably the best for time and space though, not usually packed and find there is more GW line trains departing after the game than the Belgrave ones.

Eastdog
04-07-2013, 03:42 PM
Never is on the GW line.

It's probably the best for time and space though, not usually packed and find there is more GW line trains departing after the game than the Belgrave ones.

Yeah when going home from the footy last Saturday night the train to GW I missed but then a few minutes later another one came so that was good as I thought I may of had to wait for 20 minutes.

Nuggety Back Pocket
04-07-2013, 04:40 PM

You might find it quicker traveling by train from Mitcham to Southern Cross. I also travel from Vermont South.l

Eastdog
04-07-2013, 05:12 PM
You might find it quicker traveling by train from Mitcham to Southern Cross. I also travel from Vermont South.l

Thanks for that NBP ill keep that in mind.

LostDoggy
28-07-2013, 01:03 PM
Western Western Bulldog. Train now has one football scarf - a West Coast scarf.

Eastdog
28-07-2013, 09:25 PM
Only a few on the tram coming in today. Even though only 17,000 came I thought our supporters created a bit of atmosphere which was great to see.

Eastdog
17-08-2013, 09:06 PM
I've always seen our share. Also see them further in towards the city, which is good.

Ive noticed that Andrew taking the tram in that you see a bit more closer in to the city.

Eastdog
21-05-2014, 06:37 PM
Being closer to the Belgrave/Lilydale line now when I go on there occasionally to get to the footy always a relatively good number of a Dogs fans going in and coming back (spoke to a Dogs fan I know at the footy a few weeks back about the Adelaide loss on the way home). It is certainly a lot more quicker now for me going in and coming home being a little more closer to the city.

bulldogtragic
21-05-2014, 06:44 PM
Being closer to the Belgrave/Lilydale line now when I go on there occasionally to get to the footy always a relatively good number of a Dogs fans going in and coming back (spoke to a Dogs fan I know at the footy a few weeks back about the Adelaide loss on the way home). It is certainly a lot more quicker now for me going in and coming home being a little more closer to the city.

Have you found a decent fish and chips shop Eastie, you've had a while to hunt one down.

Eastdog
21-05-2014, 06:47 PM
Have you found a decent fish and chips shop Eastie, you've had a while to hunt one down.

Yeah that's all good now BT. There are 2 in the area that are fine.

bulldogtragic
21-05-2014, 06:49 PM
Yeah that's all good now BT. There are 2 in the area that are fine.

2 places? I struggle to find one in a suburb. Where I used to reside down Mornington Peninsula, I struggled and never really found a good one. When i was desperate for them, I'd convince myself that maybe it wasn't as bad as I remember, then i'd get it and be disappointed.

Eastdog
21-05-2014, 06:50 PM
2 places? I struggle to find one in a suburb. Where I used to reside down Mornington Peninsula, I struggled and never really found a good one. When i was desperate for them, I'd convince myself that maybe it wasn't as bad as I remember, then i'd get it and be disappointed.

I wouldn't say they are the best far from it but they will make do. I don't buy as often as I did.

azabob
21-05-2014, 07:06 PM
I wouldn't say they are the best far from it but they will make do. I don't buy as often as I did.

On a diet? Or is pizza now the preferred take away choice?

I sometimes go over board on a particular take away and then don't have it for months.

Eastdog
21-05-2014, 07:09 PM
On a diet? Or is pizza now the preferred take away choice?

I sometimes go over board on a particular take away and then don't have it for months.

Definitely not on a diet azabob. But your right that Pizza has now become the preferred choice for me now spot on on that.

craigsahibee
22-05-2014, 02:50 PM

I was coming home on the train on the Belgrave/Lilydale line after the Melbourne game a few weeks ago when a group of young men boarded the train at Box Hill (bus replacement from Burnley to Box Hill that night). They had been to the footy and a few of them had enjoyed a few drinks when one of them started winding up one of his mates by saying "Don't you play for the Bulldogs?" "Isn't your name Mitch?" "I've played as many AFL games as you have"

It was Mitch Honeychurch. He kept playing a straight bat to his mate's taunts until I produced a photo of him from the Bulldogs App on my phone.

I didn't talk to him a lot as he was out with his mates just having a good time, but he seems very level headed and humble.

He was saying that it was his first weekend off in 3 months and he chose to spend it with these "dickheads".

Mitch is now in that elite group of 2 with Harvey Stevens as the only Bulldogs players I have seen on the Belgrave/Lilydale line.

Eastdog
23-05-2014, 12:20 PM
I was coming home on the train on the Belgrave/Lilydale line after the Melbourne game a few weeks ago when a group of young men boarded the train at Box Hill (bus replacement from Burnley to Box Hill that night). They had been to the footy and a few of them had enjoyed a few drinks when one of them started winding up one of his mates by saying "Don't you play for the Bulldogs?" "Isn't your name Mitch?" "I've played as many AFL games as you have"

It was Mitch Honeychurch. He kept playing a straight bat to his mate's taunts until I produced a photo of him from the Bulldogs App on my phone.

I didn't talk to him a lot as he was out with his mates just having a good time, but he seems very level headed and humble.

He was saying that it was his first weekend off in 3 months and he chose to spend it with these "dickheads".

Mitch is now in that elite group of 2 with Harvey Stevens as the only Bulldogs players I have seen on the Belgrave/Lilydale line.

That's great craigsahibee. Yeah Mitch I believe was playing at Vermont I'm pretty sure before he got recruited to us. Greenwood was from around there too. What was Harvey Stevens like. That must of been a great seeing one of our 1954 premiership heroes.

craigsahibee
23-05-2014, 03:16 PM
That's great craigsahibee. Yeah Mitch I believe was playing at Vermont I'm pretty sure before he got recruited to us. Greenwood was from around there too. What was Harvey Stevens like. That must of been a great seeing one of our 1954 premiership heroes.

I know Harvey's son Ross through my time at Mooroolbark Footy Club. Harvey is a true gentlemen who I have had the pleasure of talking to on a couple of occasions.

Harvey had been unwell recently, so Brendan McCartney grabbed Michael Talia after training one day and they drove out to Harvey's place out near Yarra Glen to catch up with him. It's stories like this that convince me we have the right man in charge.

Eastdog
23-05-2014, 04:31 PM
I know Harvey's son Ross through my time at Mooroolbark Footy Club. Harvey is a true gentlemen who I have had the pleasure of talking to on a couple of occasions.

Harvey had been unwell recently, so Brendan McCartney grabbed Michael Talia after training one day and they drove out to Harvey's place out near Yarra Glen to catch up with him. It's stories like this that convince me we have the right man in charge.

That's a great story about Macca. I hope Harvey is doing Ok. Had a driving lesson today and while driving through Surrey Hills saw someone with a Doggies cap on which was great to see and made me happy.

azabob
23-05-2014, 04:44 PM

You are right. I am certain Brendan would have taught Michael so many lessons about footy and life on the drive to and from Harvey's place.

Twodogs
23-05-2014, 04:58 PM
Let's hope Mitch can join the Bulldogpremiershipplayersseenbychraigsahibeonatrain.

Nuggety Back Pocket
26-05-2014, 09:07 PM
That's a great story about Macca. I hope Harvey is doing Ok. Had a driving lesson today and while driving through Surrey Hills saw someone with a Doggies cap on which was great to see and made me happy.

Harvey is doing it pretty tough at the moment with congestion on the lungs. Both Harvey and his late father were captain at the Bulldogs and he is highly regarded at the Club. Until this year he and his wife Alva have been regulars at our games. We do wish him a speedy recovery.

Eastdog
11-07-2014, 10:23 PM
Harvey is doing it pretty tough at the moment with congestion on the lungs. Both Harvey and his late father were captain at the Bulldogs and he is highly regarded at the Club. Until this year he and his wife Alva have been regulars at our games. We do wish him a speedy recovery.

Hopefully Harvey is doing ok now.

I have to say though when I been out and about in the east I have seen quite a few Doggies stuff (bumper stickers etc) around. We really need to for anyone new to the game outside the west also try and also attract these people to the Bulldog brand as well as new people in the west.

Eastdog
15-09-2014, 05:05 PM
As this was my 2nd year as a Doggies member and the only one in my family you get to know fellow Dogs people when you go to the footy more.

I know a few passionate Doggie people I know from the east and elsewhere (2 people in Blackburn, 1 who went to school out in the east but lives in Craigieburn now, one in Sunbury and another fan which I'm not sure exactly where his from). These are guys in the standing room area that I know and meet up at games at half time. Also have a 2nd cousin who's a Dogs fan who lived in Mill Park.

Would be great sometime next year to do a WOOF meet up at game.

gohardorgohome
16-09-2014, 04:21 PM
Three AFL scouts from different clubs were watching 18 year old Pat McKenna of Gisborne kick nine goals in a senior game in the Bendigo league recently. McKenna has also kicked 16 goals twice this year in junior and school games.

He is a very talented kid who is also captain of the Australian Under 19 cricket team.

This kid is also excellent in reading the play as a defender.

Love to see him at the dogs.

gohardorgohome
16-09-2014, 04:34 PM
Apologies.. the last post should have been posted to another thread.

Eastdog
23-10-2014, 07:47 PM
If the 2015 East West Day falls between the Jan 19th-Jan 26th then I won't be able to make it as ill be away on holiday in San Francisco. Would be nice to do an East West Day Woof catch up.

KT31
24-10-2014, 01:35 AM
Apologies.. the last post should have been posted to another thread.

You can always delete the post and post it in the correct forum ghogh.

KT31
24-10-2014, 01:41 AM
If the 2015 East West Day falls between the Jan 19th-Jan 26th then I won't be able to make it as ill be away on holiday in San Francisco. Would be nice to do an East West Day Woof catch up.

Love San Fran, its one of those places you go too and after a week you think it is enough and when you leave you immediately want to go back.
Some really big musts in SF,happy to PM if you want Ed, although we have a few posters who have been there many more times than me and would have a better insight.
I'm also heading back there albeit in 10 months.

LostDoggy
24-10-2014, 01:19 PM
[QUOTE=KT31;409169]Love San Fran, its one of those places you go too and after a week you think it is enough and when you leave you immediately want to go back.
Some really big musts in SF,happy to PM if you want Ed, although we have a few posters who have been there many more times than me and would have a better insight.
I'm also heading back there albeit in 10 months.[/QUOTE

You will be missing the dogs play finals!

Eastdog
29-10-2014, 12:55 PM
A suggestion from the marketing the Bulldogs thread - Tom Boyd I reckon could go out into the local primary schools in the Ringwood area where he lives to interact with the kids and at the end give them some Doggies stuff. I reckon for the younger players on our list who live in the city from time to time during the year they could go to their area of origin and spread the good word of the Bulldog. This will probably not increase our support substantially but it would put us a lot lot more out there.

KT31
29-10-2014, 01:00 PM
A suggestion from the marketing the Bulldogs thread - Tom Boyd I reckon could go out into the local primary schools in the Ringwood area where he lives to interact with the kids and at the end give them some Doggies stuff. I reckon for the younger players on our list who live in the city from time to time during the year they could go to their area of origin and spread the good word of the Bulldog. This will probably not increase our support substantially but it would put us a lot lot more out there.

Not sure of the Ringwood area but us and other clubs have had a program not to dissimilar in place for quite some time now.

Eastdog
17-01-2016, 05:36 PM
When: Saturday 23rd January 2016 (8:00am-12:00pm)

Where: Wesley College, Glen Waverley

Come along for a fun filled day where you can get up close to your Bulldog heroes, watch a full training session, score some autographs and take some photos.

The East West Club will keep this date regardless of the weather so lets hope its not a warm one on the 23rd Jan.

Eastdog
18-01-2016, 08:39 PM
Thought I'd post this on here as well

2016 East Meets West Flyer

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%2...sWestFlyer.pdf