PDA

View Full Version : Gary Lyon's Trade Idea For Brian Lake

The Doctor
20-09-2011, 04:12 PM
On Footy Classified last night Gary Lyon suggested this would be a good trade idea for both clubs,

"Brian Lake to Hawthorn for a second round pick & Xavier Ellis and the Bulldogs pay some of Lake's salary."

Can someone slap him?

bornadog
20-09-2011, 04:13 PM
On Footy Classified last night Gary Lyon suggested this would be a good trade idea for both clubs,

"Brian Lake to Hawthorn for a second round pick & Xavier Ellis and the Bulldogs pay some of Lake's salary."

Can someone slap him?

What an idiot. No thank you.

OLD SCRAGGer
20-09-2011, 04:39 PM
Not in this lifetime ... NEVER!!!!!!:mad:

The Underdog
20-09-2011, 04:42 PM
I think we've ruled out one candidate for list manager

Mofra
20-09-2011, 05:17 PM
i think we've ruled out one candidate for list manager
qft :)

vho
20-09-2011, 05:18 PM
What was more ridiculous was Caro's reaction to Lyon's proposal. Something along the lines of "... very nicely done Garry". Just goes to show how stupid these two are.

Dazza
20-09-2011, 05:24 PM
Replace Ellis with Suckling and you'd start to look at it.

The Coon Dog
20-09-2011, 05:26 PM
That's as poor a trade option as I've ever seen, talk about being bent over! :eek:

The Underdog
20-09-2011, 05:32 PM
That's as poor a trade option as I've ever seen, talk about being bent over! :eek:

It's positively Pelchen-esque

Maddog37
20-09-2011, 05:37 PM
I am amazed at how little Gary Lyon knows about footy sometimes.

At least he is smart to not try and become a coach.

strebla
20-09-2011, 05:52 PM
Yeah right thats a great trade for the Hawks.Now i remember why i stopped watching this wank-fest of a show!!!

AndrewP6
20-09-2011, 07:19 PM
I am amazed at how little Gary Lyon knows about footy sometimes.

At least he is smart to not try and become a coach.

I found this quote a while ago, attributed to Gaz.

"And Farmer has now scored 19 goals, exactly double the number he scored last season"

LostDoggy
20-09-2011, 07:21 PM
It's positively Pelchen-esque

Lol ..... yep, exactly what I was thinking.

LostDoggy
20-09-2011, 08:06 PM
I grew up with Xav so choosing between these two is like choosing your favourite child :D

Seriously I think it depends where you see our list...

If we are not close to a premiership then you look to get someone "like" that and develop them

If we think we just need abit of tinkering and we can be back up into the top 4 over the next 2-3 years then you keep Lake.

I was disappointed when they sacked Eade because i thought the new coach would be going the whole rebuild. But McCartney has come in and said all the right things to have me excited again that we're not in a bad state.

DOG GOD
20-09-2011, 08:14 PM
A work mate who goes for Hawthorn said this exact same trade, and then suggested they could swap Ellis with Young :) I told him he would need a pick in the top 10 and Bruest for US to think about it haha.

Remi Moses
20-09-2011, 08:21 PM
A work mate who goes for Hawthorn said this exact same trade, and then suggested they could swap Ellis with Young :) I told him he would need a pick in the top 10 and Bruest for US to think about it haha.

Someone has to explain why supporters bother thinking up stupid trade insults That slant heavily towards their club!
As for Lyon stick to worrying about Melbourne!
Just wondering what Thomas had to say as the bulldog sub committee was stacked with Leon's mates , and the coaching process was a farce!! Nothing I bet:rolleyes:

anfo27
20-09-2011, 08:51 PM
I watched it last night and when Garry come up with that tripe i thought 'does he know anything about football'. Yeah great trade Garry, our sole purpose as a club is to help other teams win flags.
Grant Thomas came up with a trade that was way more realistic than Garrys.

Flamethrower
20-09-2011, 09:09 PM
Xavier Ellis for Josh Hill would be closer to the mark.

Next Stretcher Boy will be proposing Cale Morton for Ryan Griffen.

MrMahatma
20-09-2011, 09:56 PM
There are 200 Xavier Ellis' in the league, and 50 more will be drafted this year.

There are only a handful up there with Lake (Scarlett, Glass, Lake, ?) and you're lucky to find an AA fulback in any draft.

We should keep Lake. Trading is silly. We'd get unders just because we could get someone younger. 2-4 years of top footy is better than 10 mediocre years.

Mofra
21-09-2011, 11:22 AM
We should keep Lake. Trading is silly. We'd get unders just because we could get someone younger. 2-4 years of top footy is better than 10 mediocre years.
The average career is something like 3 years though isn't it? Based on averages, we'll get more of of Lake.

Mantis
21-09-2011, 11:35 AM

But how confident are you (we) that Brian will return to those lofty heights?

Doc26
21-09-2011, 11:39 AM
The trading rule book clearly states at clause 4.2.4.7a

Buyer beware. Trading with the Hawthorn Football Club should be avoided at all costs unless one is prepared to be screwed over.

Axe Man
21-09-2011, 11:39 AM
Someone has to explain why supporters bother thinking up stupid trade insults That slant heavily towards their club!
As for Lyon stick to worrying about Melbourne!
Just wondering what Thomas had to say as the bulldog sub committee was stacked with Leon's mates , and the coaching process was a farce!! Nothing I bet:rolleyes:

No actually he admitted that he had egg all over his face on that one. Was quite surprising to see him admit he was wrong!

Mantis
21-09-2011, 11:41 AM
The trading rule book clearly states at clause 4.2.4.7a

Trading with the Hawthorn Football Club should be avoided at all costs unless one is prepared to be screwed over.

I can't see how Port were screwed over in the Burgoyne deal.

I can't see how we would have been screwed over if we had received the reported 2nd & 4th round picks for Josh Hill either.

ledge
21-09-2011, 11:50 AM
No actually he admitted that he had egg all over his face on that one. Was quite surprising to see him admit he was wrong!

Is it in an article and can we get it framed ?

Axe Man
21-09-2011, 12:34 PM

Ha Ha, no, it was on Footy Classified. But here is the video, Grant's admission of sorts at around 1:30:

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/video.aspx?tab=2&videoid=7BF9BA6C-D856-46A4-A9FC-78A5EBE921AF

Doc26
21-09-2011, 12:37 PM

That deal was very complicated. The wash up is that Port did OK out of it but only because Essendon became Hawthorn's bunny in 2009 giving up in essence Pick 16 for Mark Williams which Hawthorn then on traded to Port as part of the Burgoyne deal. Although the ulitmate bunny became St Kilda giving up Pick 16 to Essendon for Lovett.

What I do know is that Burgoyne is the only player of all the deals reached in this complicated trade that is playing off in a final this week.

I can't see how we would have been screwed over if we had received the reported 2nd & 4th round picks for Josh Hill either.

I don't know all that the went down with the Hill deal. By all accounts we were open to it given a fair deal could be brokered. Seems a lot of speculation. What I do know is that a deal could not be reached and it appeared a lot of time was wasted trying to broker a deal with Pelchen and co. If Hawthorn had decided Hill was someone they wanted on their list then they needed to make a deal happen rather than frig around for valuable days.

Another year on and with hindsight maybe we could've been more generous. Last year Josh's stocks were better than what they are when we go to the table this year.

Curly5
21-09-2011, 12:49 PM

Nice and big - print, cut out and frame :)

http://twitter.com/thomo_ninemsn/sta...28618910531584

ledge
21-09-2011, 01:02 PM

:D I just let a bit of wee out.
Thats funny and so true

Doc26
21-09-2011, 01:26 PM

The link indicates to me that the page doesn't exist. Maybe it's been pulled.

ledge
21-09-2011, 01:30 PM

Thats the point Doc26 his apology doesnt exist.

Curly5
21-09-2011, 01:33 PM

Odd - just worked for me...

0 for 2 @thomo_ninemsn "Leon Cameron will be coach...it's more inevitable than Ross coaching the Saints next year" http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/blog.aspx?blogentryid=904386
19 Sep
in reply to @BigFootyDogs ↑
Grant Thomas
@thomo_ninemsn Grant Thomas
@
@BigFootyDogs A poultry of eggs on my face. Thought it was a lay down misere. Got it wrong.
19 Sep via Twitter for iPhone

Try

http://twitter.com/#!/thomo_ninemsn/status/115728618910531584

Doc26
21-09-2011, 01:41 PM
Odd - just worked for me...

0 for 2 @thomo_ninemsn "Leon Cameron will be coach...it's more inevitable than Ross coaching the Saints next year" http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/blog.aspx?blogentryid=904386
19 Sep
in reply to @BigFootyDogs ↑
Grant Thomas
@thomo_ninemsn Grant Thomas
@
@BigFootyDogs A poultry of eggs on my face. Thought it was a lay down misere. Got it wrong.
19 Sep via Twitter for iPhone

Try

http://twitter.com/#!/thomo_ninemsn/status/115728618910531584

Thanks Curly. This one works for me.

Wow, that must be a first for Thomas.

@thomo_ninemsn

Got it wrong

ledge
21-09-2011, 01:49 PM
Haha And I thought the joke was it didnt exist, thats pretty funny.

ledge
21-09-2011, 01:51 PM
Both wrong Lyon and Cameron bahahaha.

Ghost Dog
21-09-2011, 01:57 PM
McCartney won't trade him, based on his comments earlier in the week. I don't see why Brian can't be a forward. He wants to play foward, has the swagger, lacks accuracy but no worse than many others.

the banker
21-09-2011, 02:13 PM
Best contested mark in the AFL at FF may work and he rubs his hands together like Jason Dunstall.

The Doctor
21-09-2011, 02:26 PM
Leave Lake at Full back. We all know when fit he is the best in the business and it will stabilise our defence which is one of the best in the business.

What about trying Markovic at FF instead. He's a better kick than Lake, a strong mark and played a fair bit of junior footy forward?

ledge
21-09-2011, 02:32 PM
Leave Lake at Full back. We all know when fit he is the best in the business and it will stabilise our defence which is one of the best in the business.

What about trying Markovic at FF instead. He's a better kick than Lake, a strong mark and played a fair bit of junior footy forward?

Lake we can interchange when needed depending on situation, but I have always loved him going forward.

Mantis
21-09-2011, 02:33 PM

He isn't as quick as Lake so I doubt he could get seperation from an opponent and his kicking is ok, but I have Lake as a better kick.

ledge
21-09-2011, 02:41 PM
I was very impressed with Panos the other day he has very good hands and good kick, he could be a nice 3rd forward if Grant and Jones can move up a notch.
If Will and Roughy pop forward when resting we look quite good.

chef
21-09-2011, 06:29 PM
That deal was very complicated. The wash up is that Port did OK out of it but only because Essendon became Hawthorn's bunny in 2009 giving up in essence Pick 16 for Mark Williams which Hawthorn then on traded to Port as part of the Burgoyne deal. Although the ulitmate bunny became St Kilda giving up Pick 16 to Essendon for Lovett.

What I do know is that Burgoyne is the only player of all the deals reached in this complicated trade that is playing off in a final this week.

I don't know all that the went down with the Hill deal. By all accounts we were open to it given a fair deal could be brokered. Seems a lot of speculation. What I do know is that a deal could not be reached and it appeared a lot of time was wasted trying to broker a deal with Pelchen and co. If Hawthorn had decided Hill was someone they wanted on their list then they needed to make a deal happen rather than frig around for valuable days.

Another year on and with hindsight maybe we could've been more generous. Last year Josh's stocks were better than what they are when we go to the table this year.

Wasn't it us who were frigging around.

GVGjr
21-09-2011, 07:11 PM

The 'screwing over' isn't necessarily confined to the deal that is struck. It's the hoops you have to jump through to get the deal done and the timing they give you.

I'd be happy to speak to them about trades but I would put conditions on when the deal had to be struck by.