PDA

View Full Version : Tommy Williams - 2 Rising Star votes

Bulldog Revolution
05-09-2007, 06:20 PM
Congrats to Tommy on the 2 votes, considering the injury problems he had a very fine year and will only get better

Interesting that he was awarded 2 votes (both from Andrew Demetriou) and Higgins received none from any of the judges

2007 NAB AFL Rising Star voting
1. Joel Selwood (Geelong) 44
2. Scott Pendlebury (Collingwood) 37
3. Nathan Jones (Melbourne) 17
4. Justin Westhoff (Port Adelaide) 10
5. Shannon Hurn (West Coast ) 9
6. Jess Smith (Kangaroos) 7
7. Bryce Gibbs (Carlton) 6
8. Tom Williams (Western Bulldogs) 2
8. Patrick Ryder (Essendon) 2
10. Martin Clarke (Collingwood) 1

GVGjr
05-09-2007, 06:23 PM
Another interesting thing I heard was that Nathan Jones is a big chance to win the Dees best and fairest this year. He's had an incredible season for them but Selwood was the pick of the players this year in my opinion.

westdog54
05-09-2007, 06:37 PM
Another interesting thing I heard was that Nathan Jones is a big chance to win the Dees best and fairest this year. He's had an incredible season for them but Selwood was the pick of the players this year in my opinion.

Probabaly says more about Melbourne's year than Jones.

Selwood was always going to win the Rising Star, but like BR I'm astounded that Higgins couldn't land a single vote.

mjp
05-09-2007, 06:39 PM
It is really a flawed award though. Pendlebury is in his second year, so is Jones, Williams is in his third...I really wish they made it an award for 1st year draftees only, but there you go.

Selwood has been impressive GVGjr, but in terms of single year performance, I cannot believe Jones did not win. His consistency of effort in a team that gave up was fantastic to watch - Selwood had Corey, Ling, Chapman etc all helping him out. It is all about 'projecting' though in the view of some judges I think.

I actually thought Ryder would have polled a few more votes, but there you go.

LostDoggy
05-09-2007, 06:40 PM
how clarke, williams and a few others got votes and higgins didnt is puzzling

LostDoggy
05-09-2007, 07:23 PM
I don't think the award should be for 2nd or 3rd year players, having previous AFL experience and an extra pre-season is a huge advantage...which just sets Selwood above the rest even more I suppose.

I'm a bit confused by some of the voting, but it's so hard to vote for with the rules the way they are. I guess Tommy wasn't 'flashy' enough for the voters.

Bulldog Revolution
05-09-2007, 10:50 PM
It is really a flawed award though. Pendlebury is in his second year, so is Jones, Williams is in his third...I really wish they made it an award for 1st year draftees only, but there you go.

Selwood has been impressive GVGjr, but in terms of single year performance, I cannot believe Jones did not win. His consistency of effort in a team that gave up was fantastic to watch - Selwood had Corey, Ling, Chapman etc all helping him out. It is all about 'projecting' though in the view of some judges I think.

I actually thought Ryder would have polled a few more votes, but there you go.

Top post - MJP - it probably should be a first year draftees only award - but I wonder if there would be enough eligible for this to be viable

what selwood has done this year off one afl pre season is super impressive even in a good team, whilst I am impressed with both Jones and Pendlebury they have both now had two preseasons

Go_Dogs
06-09-2007, 10:44 AM
I'm going to get in early and tip Skinny for next years award.

Well done to Tom for getting a few votes. He promises to be exciting to watch over the next few years as we see him develop more.

Bulldog Revolution
06-09-2007, 12:06 PM
I'm going to get in early and tip Skinny for next years award.

We were all on Higgins this year, but it just goes to show how good a year the rising star winners need to have to win it

It would be great to see Everitt win it, because it will mean he has improved enormously

Go_Dogs
06-09-2007, 12:30 PM
From what I've seen of him so far, with his skills, composure and size, he could be the best of our young draftees yet.

Bulldog Revolution
06-09-2007, 01:39 PM
From what I've seen of him so far, with his skills, composure and size, he could be the best of our young draftees yet.

Agreed but it is a big jump from showing a lot of promise to producing the seasons that Nathan Jones, Joel Sellwood and Scott Pendlebury produced.

Go_Dogs
06-09-2007, 02:14 PM
Couldn't disagree with that.

LostDoggy
06-09-2007, 02:43 PM
Mot much chance in one of ours winning it when our media profile isn't like the Collingwoods, Geelongs or Essendons.

eg Collingwood's Marty Clarke hailed as the next Buckley when he debuted. From what I've seen Higgins is as good if not better but Clarke got votes and Higgins didn't.

LostDoggy
06-09-2007, 11:04 PM
harsh Missy didnt get a few votes he had a few decent games.

Nab Rising Star 2008, Andrejs Everitt :D