PDA

View Full Version : Demetriou's level playing field

bornadog
23-09-2011, 12:55 PM
Hopefully we are able to spend more in the footy department.

Jon Pierik (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/demetrious-level-playing-field-20110922-1kn9a.html)

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou will unveil on Monday one of the most comprehensive and important financial packages of his decade-long tenure.
The move is to help ensure all clubs have a fair chance of a premiership.
The growing gulf between the rich and the struggling has prompted the AFL to act, after extensive meetings with officials from all clubs, including coaches.

Concerns about the number of on-field blow-outs this season, plus the relationship of football department spending and the increasingly disproportionate sports-science arms race were acknowledged by AFL operations manager Adrian Anderson last month.
Demetriou will give clubs their revised distributions just before the Brownlow Medal count, acting on his pledge to deal with the 17 teams despite having yet to broker a new collective bargaining agreement with the players.
A significant part of this package appears to be to help several clubs reduce their debt.

Speaking at the Melbourne Press Club's annual football finals lunch yesterday, Demetriou said clubs had been scrutinised to meet their individual needs.
But, he said, it would be ''delusional'' to think all club presidents and chief executives would be happy after Monday's meeting.
''I think we have got the balance right,'' he said. ''I think the package that we have put together for the clubs is a very, very comprehensive package, probably the most significant piece of work other than our broadcast rights that we have done in my time with the AFL.

''It tries to address this issue of equalisation, and this gap that has grown. It's an attempt to try and give every club an opportunity to do what they should be doing and why they exist, and that's to win a premiership.'' Richmond, Port Adelaide, Melbourne, Essendon, North Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs are among those to have asked for money in recent months.
Demetriou said several clubs would now have the opportunity to hire more staff, who in turn would help generate greater income.

''Some clubs, for example, are very light on in their administration, which actually limits their capacity to generate revenue,'' he said. ''That has a flow-on effect.''
Demetriou said he had no intention banning those clubs that could afford expensive training programs, such as high-altitude training overseas.
''We are not going to stop those guys from doing that. What we need to do is bring the smaller clubs up a bit so they can at least compete on the football field, because they exist to win premierships,'' he said.

Mantis
23-09-2011, 01:21 PM
We (and the other minnow clubs) are starting from a long way back.... the gap the 'big' clubs have on us is massive and it's going to take a while to bridge it.

LostDoggy
23-09-2011, 01:38 PM
Instead of worrying about financial compensation first why don't the AFL make it a level playing field(draw,stadium deals, tv deals, exposure, etc). The compensation will always be behind.
What does it cost get a junior life long support to your club because they are brainwashed young from over exposure?

LostDoggy
23-09-2011, 02:04 PM
''It tries to address this issue of equalisation, and this gap that has grown. It's an attempt to try and give every club an opportunity to do what they should be doing and why they exist, and that's to win a premiership.'' Richmond, Port Adelaide, Melbourne, Essendon, North Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs are among those to have asked for money in recent months.

Surprised by this. I've always thought Essendon were OK financially. I mean, they spend a million a year on their IT budget alone.

Perhaps mismanagement?

jazzadogs
23-09-2011, 02:08 PM
Surprised by this. I've always thought Essendon were OK financially. I mean, they spend a million a year on their IT budget alone.

Perhaps mismanagement?
I'd say it's to help pay for their relocation.

Scraggers
23-09-2011, 03:28 PM
Instead of worrying about financial compensation first why don't the AFL make it a level playing field(draw,stadium deals, tv deals, exposure, etc). The compensation will always be being the behind.
What does it cost get a junior life long support to your club because they are brainwashed young from over exposure?

This

The Coon Dog
23-09-2011, 03:46 PM
This

Shit! First time I've ever seen anyone agree with Chops on this forum! :D

bornadog
23-09-2011, 03:47 PM
Instead of worrying about financial compensation first why don't the AFL make it a level playing field(draw,stadium deals, tv deals, exposure, etc). The compensation will always be being the behind.

My thoughts exactly. The more exposure the bigger they are getting.

bornadog
23-09-2011, 03:48 PM
We (and the other minnow clubs) are starting from a long way back.... the gap the 'big' clubs have on us is massive and it's going to take a while to bridge it.

Make that we will NEVER, EVER bridge the gap.

Scraggers
23-09-2011, 04:44 PM
Shit! First time I've ever seen anyone agree with Chops on this forum! :D

Sorry TCD ... you know me, I like to set a trend every now and again :D

LostDoggy
23-09-2011, 05:03 PM
Scraggers is my mate

Desipura
23-09-2011, 05:27 PM
I agree.

LostDoggy
23-09-2011, 06:33 PM
2 firsts in 1 day

Hotdog60
23-09-2011, 07:18 PM
Make it 3, I'm on the Chops bandwagon:D

Topdog
23-09-2011, 08:26 PM
Make it 3, I'm on the Chops bandwagon:D

4, can't argue with the man when he is 100% spot on.

Maddog37
23-09-2011, 09:18 PM
Just for the sake of normality I am gonna say no to Chops argument. No idea why but it just feels right.

LostDoggy
23-09-2011, 11:49 PM
What I thought there was no problem Emperor Demetriou?

Didn't you say that it must have been a 'slow news week' when confronted with the issue of blowouts?

It's ludicrous how the AFL behave like the Almighty -- they giveth, and they taketh away -- instead of realising that they are merely humble servants of the major stakeholders of the game, and equalisation isn't a 'luxury' or a 'favour', it's their responsibility and the clubs' right, especially due to the reasons Chops has outlined.

You know, there's a thread about which clubs we hate the most. There are clubs I can't stand, but I've come to thoroughly despise AFL HQ this past couple of decades.

Sockeye Salmon
24-09-2011, 01:06 AM
You know, there's a thread about which clubs we hate the most. There are clubs I can't stand, but I've come to thoroughly despise AFL HQ this past couple of decades.

This.

I hate the AFL way more than any of the opposition clubs

Maddog37
24-09-2011, 11:46 AM
Viva la resistance!

LostDoggy
24-09-2011, 06:42 PM
What about the disadvantage we have suffered due to the introduction of the new clubs. Two young quality players in two years. How many young talented players have the successful teams suffered such as Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon, Hawthorn, Gellong (Ablett).

azabob
24-09-2011, 08:40 PM
This may be a simplistic view but without AFL HQ and Andy D is it possible we would not have a club to support or experienced our relative successful period over the last 5 years or so.

Scraggers
24-09-2011, 08:42 PM
Scraggers is my mate

Can you feel the love ??

ledge
25-09-2011, 11:08 AM
This may be a simplistic view but without AFL HQ and Andy D is it possible we would not have a club to support or experienced our relative successful period over the last 5 years or so.

Very simplistic, what club hasnt been helped by the AFL?
The problem is that its not been equal or should I say it hasnt been equal to make the competition even.

divvydan
26-09-2011, 03:47 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/124144/default.aspx

The chairman of the AFL Commission Mike Fitzpatrick said the AFL will provide more than $1.1 billion in total funding to the 18 AFL clubs between 2012-16, an increase of $320 million on 2007-11.

Approximately 60 per cent of this funding is likely to be used for the base distribution, which will increase to fully fund the increase in Total Player Payments

Clubs will also benefit from a new $144 million club future fund, which will be invested in the specific needs of each club, indluding facilities, debt reduction, football departments, membership, sponsorship, fan development and digital media.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/124144/default.aspx

From the table in the article, we'll be getting the equal most from the future fund of $10.2m (with North).

chef
26-09-2011, 05:30 PM
Great news.

LostDoggy
26-09-2011, 05:32 PM
Mmmmmm, we get 7 Million and the Crows get nought.

He's a good bloke that Demetriou.

SlimPickens
26-09-2011, 05:40 PM
Mmmmmm, we get 7 Million and the Crows get nought.

He's a good bloke that Demetriou.

No No still a shit bloke!