PDA

View Full Version : Barry Hall to GWS

Maddog37
29-09-2011, 09:38 PM
Watching AFL teams on fox and Parkin suggesting Baz will not be part of the retired players parade at the GF as GWS are very into him and he may have second thoughts about retiring.

Thoughts? Do we get a comp pick?

AndrewP6
29-09-2011, 09:54 PM
God I hope this isn't true. Surely Baz won't do it. :(
He's on the Grand Final Footy Show tonight, wonder if anything will come up in conversation?

BulldogBelle
29-09-2011, 10:05 PM
Watching AFL teams on fox and Parkin suggesting Baz will not be part of the retired players parade at the GF as GWS are very into him and he may have second thoughts about retiring.

Thoughts? Do we get a comp pick?

Even if he does go, I wouldn't think we would get anything. He retired. Mal Michael type scenario, except Baz didn't bullshit the Club, I hope!

Sedat
29-09-2011, 10:14 PM
Even if he does go, I wouldn't think we would get anything. He retired. Mal Michael type scenario, except Baz didn't bullshit the Club, I hope!
He's still on our list until October 31st, or until such a time as GWS and the Dogs orchestrate a suitable trade during trade week. Same thing happened between us and Sydney 2 years ago to get him to the kennel.

LostDoggy
30-09-2011, 03:21 AM
nothing on footy show

dadsgirl16
30-09-2011, 05:56 PM
Had Brekky with him this morning(well I attended the function) and he was asked the question,he said probably no but IF he did it would be simply be for the money.

bornadog
30-09-2011, 08:00 PM
Had Brekky with him this morning(well I attended the function) and he was asked the question,he said probably no but IF he did it would be simply be for the money.

Well he could have got another contract with us?

Rocco Jones
30-09-2011, 08:19 PM

I don't doubt Hall's sincerity when he calls himself a Bulldog. The difference is that GWS are trying to make an offer he can't refuse, basically buying him out of retirement. If Hunt is worth $1 m a year to GC then what is Hall worth to GWS? They would have cap space and I think it would be a marketly sound decision to offer him $1 m for next year + a lucrative, long term assistant coach/marketing deal.

Topdog
30-09-2011, 09:59 PM

doubt we could offer 40% of what GWS can

Remi Moses
30-09-2011, 10:47 PM
That old crackpot Sheedy's going to ruin this side.
Complete and utter madness, I'm starting to get more and more confident we can get this Sam Reid deal done. He'll be looking at Matty Allen and Salmon for a ruck spot.

MrMahatma
01-10-2011, 01:42 AM
That old crackpot Sheedy's going to ruin this side.
Complete and utter madness, I'm starting to get more and more confident we can get this Sam Reid deal done. He'll be looking at Matty Allen and Salmon for a ruck spot.
Fair to say Hall would be being recruited largely for marketability in Sydney.

It may seem a bit silly, but in the end Sheedy has a pretty tough job. I don't think anyone should underestimate how hard it will be to make the club work from a business perspective. They need to build a fan base - and quickly.

LostDoggy
01-10-2011, 11:40 AM
Hall at the NthMelbourne breakfast was asked by Mike Sheahan. Says he is mentally tired of footy, doing the same thing day after day. Said money could entice but wouldn't overcome the mental tiredness.

w3design
01-10-2011, 01:30 PM
Am I the only one who would find this adding even further to my disillusionment with footy?

LostDoggy
01-10-2011, 01:53 PM
I can imagine Hall going for one last big pay day. Who wouldn't? The thing with Hall is that having rebuilt his reputation with us, he has a lucrative post footy career in whatever he chooses.
Will he undo all his good work with some brain snaps playing in a team that will get belted every week full of kids he would want to look after? If so, whatever money he makes next year will be at the detriment to his post career earnings.
From a selfish Bulldogs supporter point of view, I hope he does play on and we get a juicy trade or compensation pick for him. Even better, I would gun for one of the 17 year olds for him.

Hall will be massive for GWS on marketability alone and I would play hardball BIG time. I would not hesitate to send Hall to retirement unless GWS gave me exactly what I wanted. I hope our trading team are ruthless with him.

bornadog
01-10-2011, 02:51 PM
Am I the only one who would find this adding even further to my disillusionment with footy?

I am with you, especially after the send off we gave him

AndrewP6
01-10-2011, 04:14 PM

No, you're not. I'd be shattered if Baz decided to take the money. All the talk of being a Bulldog, the send-off we gave him, Huddo and Hahn. To find out he'd needed even more money would be gutting.

Here's hoping he's not like that.

Flamethrower
01-10-2011, 08:00 PM
One thing you can count in IF Baz gives in to Sheedy's seductions are plenty of "Staker" moments. His frustration levels will be thermonuclear with such a garbage midfield.

Baz will destroy his reputation forever!!!!

Sockeye Salmon
01-10-2011, 08:14 PM
Hall will be massive for GWS on marketability alone and I would play hardball BIG time. I would not hesitate to send Hall to retirement unless GWS gave me exactly what I wanted. I hope our trading team are ruthless with him.

or he could just put himself in the draft and they would get him for free

mjp
01-10-2011, 08:36 PM
He has been with us for two years...I will never understand the undying love and affection for Barry Hall.

I know I am in the minority but I simply don't get it.

ledge
01-10-2011, 08:45 PM

If another club doesnt pick him first

ledge
01-10-2011, 08:49 PM
He has been with us for two years...I will never understand the undying love and affection for Barry Hall.

True MJP but was probably the best old age recruit we ever had and a bulldog mad family probably adds to the love.

AndrewP6
01-10-2011, 09:02 PM

He's a star. He actually wanted to come to our team. He embraced our club and the fans. He delivered.

MrMahatma
02-10-2011, 03:20 AM

You're not alone. I'm with you on this. Don't get it either. Had a couple good years for us but we were (I think) the only club that was going to give him a 2nd chance.

I'm not fussed if he goes north. I'd just be a bit embarassed for the club given the send off we gave him and the fact he was basically the face of our club for 2 yrs.

Remi Moses
02-10-2011, 05:02 AM
Perhaps like Barry we've spent the majority of our existence unloved by many.
Just my take that we've been great for Barry and his been great for us.I enjoyed him giving his all unlike someone else who spent two hours thinking about his over inflated bank Balance

The Underdog
02-10-2011, 08:49 AM
He's a star. He actually wanted to come to our team. He embraced our club and the fans. He delivered.

If he wanted to keep playing football he didn't have too many choices. I get the passion for the work he did while he was here and it was a union that worked out pretty well for both both on and off field. Certainly disproved the theory that all we needed was a key forward to win a premiership though.

chef
02-10-2011, 09:26 AM

GWS have to trade to get him. They can't just pick him up for free as they can only take one player each club for free. Otherwise Brennan would have just gone in the PSD last year to get to GC.

chef
02-10-2011, 09:29 AM
If he wanted to keep playing football he didn't have too many choices. I get the passion for the work he did while he was here and it was a union that worked out pretty well for both both on and off field. Certainly disproved the theory that all we needed was a key forward to win a premiership though.

He missed that boat by a couple of seasons.

ledge
02-10-2011, 11:01 AM

He didnt miss the boat he got a flag, you mean we missed the boat.

chef
02-10-2011, 11:04 AM
He didnt miss the boat he got a flag, you mean we missed the boat.

The boat being that all we needed was a KF to win a flag. which could have been true in 2008-9, but by the time we got one it was to late anyway.

Sockeye Salmon
02-10-2011, 11:08 AM
GWS have to trade to get him. They can't just pick him up for free as they can only take one player each club for free. Otherwise Brennan would have just gone in the PSD last year to get to GC.

He wouldn't have to entered the PSD, he could nominate for the National draft where GWS could take him with their last pick

chef
02-10-2011, 11:19 AM
He wouldn't have to entered the PSD, he could nominate for the National draft where GWS could take him with their last pick

Pretty sure GWS still can't draft him.

KT31
02-10-2011, 11:28 AM

Wouldn't this be the same as the Mal Michael senario, therfore legal ?

bulldogsman
02-10-2011, 11:32 AM

I think this is correct. I thought the AFL put this rule into place so GWS couldn't steal 2, 3 or 4 players away from the same club. I would still like this confirmed though.

Desipura
02-10-2011, 11:33 AM
We have not has success for a long time hence why we embrace players more than we should. We have nothing else to hang our hat on.
I personally do not idolize players,, I appreciate that some have more ability than others and I certainly do not take it personally when they are criticized.
Give me a premiership team and I will embrace the team!

ledge
02-10-2011, 11:41 AM
I would have thought he can be drafted by anyone for nothing because his contract is finished, the only way we could get anything is if he wished to go to a certain club that isnt guaranteed to get first choice for him ,
eg he goes in draft , club he wants to go to isnt prepared to use its number 1 pick on him so other clubs get option on him before it gets to the pick they are prepared to use him with.

Of course he could come out and say if any other club picks me I am retiring or he could ask for more than other clubs will pay but GWS have agreed to pay.

Most players do the right thing though and will ask to be traded so the club they previously played for gets something and because Barry left in good terms and because Barry seems an honest bloke I think he would ask to be traded.

ledge
02-10-2011, 11:44 AM
I think this is correct. I thought the AFL put this rule into place so GWS couldn't steal 2, 3 or 4 players away from the same club. I would still like this confirmed though.

I think thats only if the other club doesnt agree to a deal I imagine because then its not a steal its a deal both parties agree on.
If GWS want to take a player that we dont want I cant see it being a problem if an agreeable trade is done.

GVGjr
02-10-2011, 11:46 AM

Lets assume that they can draft him, then it's in their interest to offer something token for him.
It might be as little as an upgraded pick.

With the speculation, there must be a way around it but I don't think it can happen without our agreement.

chef
02-10-2011, 12:12 PM
Wouldn't this be the same as the Mal Michael senario, therfore legal ?

No, there are different rules for GWS.

boydogs
02-10-2011, 01:19 PM
Certainly disproved the theory that all we needed was a key forward to win a premiership though.

This.

anfo27
02-10-2011, 02:28 PM
No, there are different rules for GWS.

Chef is right on this one.

LostDoggy
02-10-2011, 03:05 PM
As long as we don't delist him at the first list lodgement, GWS will have to trade for him and we should bend them over.

In addition to the GWS rules that preclude them from taking him uncompensated, Hall is unlikely to enter the draft anyway. Remember when he quit Sydney mid-year and Roos said he was finished as a swan? We still had to trade for Hall. When it was suggested that Hall enter the preseason draft to get to us, Hall said he would just retire than be forced to get to the Bulldogs via the draft.

LostDoggy
02-10-2011, 03:09 PM
Lets assume that they can draft him, then it's in their interest to offer something token for him.
It might be as little as an upgraded pick.

With the speculation, there must be a way around it but I don't think it can happen without our agreement.

Something token? If Hall wanted to play on at GWS, I would ask for no less than one of the 17 year olds. Cough up or Hall retires. They took Ward FFS. Are we trying to win a premiership or be everyone's Besty?

w3design
02-10-2011, 03:15 PM

He retired from Sydney and we still had to trade for him . I can't see any difference if he comes out of retirement again they have to deal with us.

chef
02-10-2011, 03:46 PM
Something token? If Hall wanted to play on at GWS, I would ask for no less than one of the 17 year olds. Cough up or Hall retires. They took Ward FFS. Are we trying to win a premiership or be everyone's Besty?

This.

I don't care how well Barry treated us over the last couple of years, if they want him they better pay overs for him after stealing Ward. Hall should get no favours from us.

Remi Moses
02-10-2011, 03:57 PM

Agree with this . Time to harden up FFS

immortalmike
02-10-2011, 03:58 PM
The boat being that all we needed was a KF to win a flag. which could have been true in 2008-9, but by the time we got one it was to late anyway.

What do you mean the year we had more scoring shots than the team we played in the prelim or the year we were the highest scoring team in the competition?

We never needed a big forward we just needed someone other than Brad Johnson to stand up in our forward line. A fit Cooney or Murphy would have helped.

The Coon Dog
02-10-2011, 03:59 PM
Agree with this . Time to harden up FFS

Agree with the sentiment, but Bazza can quite easily nominate for the Pre Season Draft & guess who has first pick?

ledge
02-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Agree with the sentiment, but Bazza can quite easily nominate for the Pre Season Draft & guess who has first pick?

Do you think they would use a first pick on a 34 yo retired player with an ankle problem who they would get one year out of and give up the chance to get someone with more upside?

azabob
02-10-2011, 04:11 PM

Doesn't it come back to what Chef has pointed out that they cannot take another un-contracted player from us without our permission.

anfo27
02-10-2011, 04:35 PM
Doesn't it come back to what Chef has pointed out that they cannot take another un-contracted player from us without our permission.

exactly. there are rules in place for this but posters seem to not keep this in mind.

ledge
02-10-2011, 04:44 PM
exactly. there are rules in place for this but posters seem to not keep this in mind.

This is where "retired" could be the magic word.

anfo27
02-10-2011, 04:49 PM

I can't see how this matters. Luke Power & Dean Brogan retired from their clubs and when these players get pick up by GWS that will be GWS 1 uncontraced player from that club. Both clubs have stated they will keep these players on the list until the last lodgement date which would force these players into the pre-season draft, so all of a sudden they will pick up Brogan, Cornes, Power & Hall in the pre-season draft? sounds a bit rich to me Ledge.

GVGjr
02-10-2011, 04:50 PM

I think they would either roll the dice on allowing him to go into the draft and taking their chances there or just not select him at all.
He's a one season player at best and a highly risky one so we won't get a lot of him.

Greystache
02-10-2011, 04:55 PM

No it doesn't.

Otherwise GWS could take an uncontracted player from every club, and then tell Franklin, Pendlebury, and Selwood to retire and they'll pick them up at picks 1,2, & 3 in the draft. It is not allowed.

ledge
02-10-2011, 04:58 PM
I can't see how this matters. Luke Power & Dean Brogan retired from their clubs and when these players get pick up by GWS that will be GWS 1 uncontraced player from that club. Both clubs have stated they will keep these players on the list until the last lodgement date which would force these players into the pre-season draft, so all of a sudden they will pick up Brogan, Cornes, Power & Hall in the pre-season draft? sounds a bit rich to me Ledge.

Have we kept Barry on our list?
Thinking where he is age, etc we may have already dropped him off.

anfo27
02-10-2011, 05:02 PM
Have we kept Barry on our list?
Thinking where he is age, etc we may have already dropped him off.

First lodgement date hasn't gone by yet and with these whispers floating around we would be stupid to not keep on the list till the last lodgement date.

ledge
02-10-2011, 05:12 PM
First lodgement date hasn't gone by yet and with these whispers floating around we would be stupid to not keep on the list till the last lodgement date.

Maybe the whispers started after we dropped him, Sheedy is pretty cunning.
Sheedy would have looked at that surely.
Its all a guess though, only the ones in it know it.

chef
02-10-2011, 05:28 PM

But they can't touch him unless we trade him. The only way GWS can get him is through a trade.

chef
02-10-2011, 05:29 PM

There is no such thing as retired, you are either contracted or uncontracted.

LostDoggy
02-10-2011, 09:02 PM
With GWS already taking Ward as an uncontracted player from us, there's only 3 ways Hall can land at GWS
1) We trade him
2) We delist Hall and GWS take him as one of their 10 previously listed players
3) Hall sits out of footy for a year and get drafted for the 2013 seas

BulldogBelle
02-10-2011, 09:39 PM

I agree...

Must have been all of the talk about how he was a Bulldogs supporter as a child, the fact that he became the FF that we havent had for 20 years

It must have been that he delivered us the 2010 NAB cup! I got the tattoo to celebrate it

strebla
02-10-2011, 09:43 PM
I agree...

Must have been all of the talk about how he was a Bulldogs supporter as a child, the fact that he became the FF that we havent had for 30 years

It must have been that he delivered us the 2010 NAB cup! I got the tattoo to celebrate it

What was Simon Beasley an ice-cream???

w3design
02-10-2011, 09:45 PM
In regard to the disillusionment factor, it's not about having a 2year player on a pedestal. I enjoyed Barry's contribution and his 'redemption' if you like but don't revere and idolize him with the same feeling as a Chris Grant/Brad Johnson. That's not what I was getting at.

It's more all the sentimental 'I'm a bulldog' stuff, the sincere send off, the looking us straight in the eye and declaring he is definitely, positively finished..now it seems that had a rider 'unless I get offered a heap of money.'

I'm not angry with him, don't want to get back into the Callan ward debate. I just wish integrity and loyalty weren't such meaningless words these days. And if anyone says ' that's footy these days'...well that's my point!

1eyedog
02-10-2011, 10:21 PM
In regard to the disillusionment factor, it's not about having a 2year player on a pedestal. I enjoyed Barry's contribution and his 'redemption' if you like but don't revere and idolize him with the same feeling as a Chris Grant/Brad Johnson. That's not what I was getting at.

It's more all the sentimental 'I'm a bulldog' stuff, the sincere send off, the looking us straight in the eye and declaring he is definitely, positively finished..now it seems that had a rider 'unless I get offered a heap of money.'

I'm not angry with him, don't want to get back into the Callan ward debate. I just wish integrity and loyalty weren't such meaningless words these days. And if anyone says ' that's footy these days'...well that's my point!

Don't compare Ward and Baz, Ward was nowhere near his peak when he left and would have serviced us for 8 years if he had stayed. Baz is shot and has not much to offer now because of his body. He is 'potentially' considering a few bucks for his retirement.

Ward was touted as a true Bulldog and club leader, Baz was a handy acquisition for the club for 1 or 2 years. Fair difference between the two.

LostDoggy
02-10-2011, 10:38 PM
I think they would either roll the dice on allowing him to go into the draft and taking their chances there or just not select him at all.
He's a one season player at best and a highly risky one so we won't get a lot of him.

This isn't a normal situation. The AFL and GWS would throw all sorts of incentives his way if they thought he was even a slight chance of playing on. Hall would give them way more publicity than Folau and can actually play the game.

Make no mistake, Hall is worth a lot to them. He is not a Brogan or Cornes where they'll walk away if not free. If GWS manages to talk him out of retirement, they will not put a rider of 'only if he's free'. If GWS won't trade, we send Hall into retirement. We haven't lost anything.

The other thing is, if Hall wanted to play on, we would keep him, we didn't push him in the slightest. If he changes his mind because another club throws big bucks at him, how is that any different to any player wanting to join another club chasing dollars? Why wouldn't we want compensation?

boydogs
03-10-2011, 04:21 AM
The other thing is, if Hall wanted to play on, we would keep him, we didn't push him in the slightest.

Is there a chance then we could talk him into another year with us?

Topdog
03-10-2011, 06:04 AM
I hope we don't. Better to move on quickly.

LostDoggy
03-10-2011, 08:06 AM
Is there a chance then we could talk him into another year with us?

no chance

chef
03-10-2011, 09:56 AM
Did he go around the MCG with the other 2011 retiree's?

Mofra
03-10-2011, 10:23 AM
Don't compare Ward and Baz, Ward was nowhere near his peak when he left and would have serviced us for 8 years if he had stayed. Baz is shot and has not much to offer now because of his body. He is 'potentially' considering a few bucks for his retirement.

Ward was touted as a true Bulldog and club leader, Baz was a handy acquisition for the club for 1 or 2 years. Fair difference between the two.
Yep, don't compare Ward and Hall.

Ward never belted Chris Grant behind play and played with us for twice as long as Barry.

Grantysghost
03-10-2011, 12:52 PM
http://www.news.com.au/retired-western-bulldogs-forward-barry-hall-rumoured-to-have-signed-comeback-afl-deal-with-gws-giants/story-e6frf3e3-1226156818228

Happy Days
03-10-2011, 01:15 PM
http://www.news.com.au/retired-western-bulldogs-forward-barry-hall-rumoured-to-have-signed-comeback-afl-deal-with-gws-giants/story-e6frf3e3-1226156818228

Well that would be a dick move.

Much like Ward, we seem to be moving into a "I don't even care about him, he's not even that good and we don't even want him" territory regarding Hall. Well I say no dice. This one would hurt real bad; compounding the loss of our best young player aside, and deny it as much as you want, our greater supporter base love Barry. Plus, as someone who hated Ward's decision so much, when looking at the way Barry was sent off, with all of his "love for the club", this would hurt personally.

If they both line up in GWS's 18, I know who I'll save my boos for. Of course, if they don't, then this is a massive non issue and not worth the bandwith it's printed on.

LostDoggy
03-10-2011, 04:04 PM

Much like Ward, we seem to be moving into a "I don't even care about him, he's not even that good and we don't even want him" territory regarding Hall. Well I say no dice. This one would hurt real bad; compounding the loss of our best young player aside, and deny it as much as you want, our greater supporter base love Barry. Plus, as someone who hated Ward's decision so much, when looking at the way Barry was sent off, with all of his "love for the club", this would hurt personally.

If they both line up in GWS's 18, I know who I'll save my boos for. Of course, if they don't, then this is a massive non issue and not worth the bandwith it's printed on.

Don't get angry, get even. Demand a 17 year old or Hall goes straight to retirement. If Hall goes for nothing, it is yet another AFL sanctioned manipulation of the rules that bends over the weak clubs. We will never play in a premiership because that is not part of te plan. I am wasting my time and money and after 30 years, I might finally wake up to reality.

ledge
03-10-2011, 04:14 PM
He is 34 and has a few years to go in life, he is probably looking at all options, maybe its his best job offer since he retired?

bornadog
03-10-2011, 04:25 PM

I agree with you, especially after telling the club there is no way he will play on next year.

Remi Moses
03-10-2011, 04:26 PM
Barry would be a fool if he excepts this as are GWS.
What's there objective after 2012? Hope the club don't again roll over like an obedient puppy.
Get some sort of compensation if he does come back, somehow he'll just nominate for the pre-season draft! Then again they're also going to do deals to get Brogan, Power and the rest of Dad's Army.

Go_Dogs
03-10-2011, 04:37 PM
If Hall is 'traded' to GWS, would it trigger an AFL compensation pick, like Brisbane got, and would it be based on salary? If so, GWS might not really have to give up anything, and we could potentially get a 3rd round selection.

ledge
03-10-2011, 04:49 PM
If Hall is 'traded' to GWS, would it trigger an AFL compensation pick, like Brisbane got, and would it be based on salary? If so, GWS might not really have to give up anything, and we could potentially get a 3rd round selection.

If its based on salary I rekon it wouldnt be peanuts and if its on his abillity, well over 100 goals in the last two years, premiership captain, we could get overs for someone we got for a basic wage.:D

anfo27
03-10-2011, 06:35 PM

As far as my understanding of the rules are we would get a compensation pick so from that perspective i hope he does go to GWS.

LostDoggy
03-10-2011, 06:56 PM
The guy gave us 2 good years but was struggling at the end until he made the decision to quit. When he saw the end was nigh he could get himself up for the remaining games. I'd be surprised if he could get up for another year.

But even if he did, we weren't going to get anything for him, anyway. So why does it matter now? We gave him our best wishes for his retirement. If we get something small for him, well and good, but it certainly is not worth getting into a lather about.

If at 34 he changes his mind and goes to a club that is not a threat to us, I say, good luck to him. Let's not burn our bridges with players who leave our club. You never know when we might need them back in the future.

jasopan
04-10-2011, 01:36 AM
http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/retired-western-bulldogs-forward-barry-hall-rumoured-to-have-signed-comeback-afl-deal-with-gws-giants/story-e6frf3e3-1226156818228?fb_ref=foxsports-rec

I reckon it's ridiculous and most likely a joke...

Thoughts?

LostDoggy
04-10-2011, 02:17 AM
Train wreck if true.
The man is an awesome set shot, but once the ball hits the deck or goes passed him, it takes him three days to turn around. It will be a tired Barry Hall if he pulls on a GWS uniform.

I guess we all need to have a superannuation plan in place though?

The Bulldogs Bite
04-10-2011, 02:25 AM
If we get compensation for Hall, I couldn't care less.

The Underdog
04-10-2011, 08:13 AM
The guy played 2 good years for us and under no circumstances was he going to play for us next year (well unless we had a million bucks to throw at him). So what if he decides to play one year for a team that will be lucky to win a game? The guy owes us nothing. Enjoy the superannuation Barry.

Hotdog60
04-10-2011, 09:47 AM
Barry served us well and it's not like he was a 10 year player for us, it was a good deal for both parties.
Barry got to finish on a good note and we got a spearhead of quality for a couple of years, if he looking at a bit of financial security then good on him. He was never going to be a long term prospect and it's now time for our kids to step up.

Desipura
04-10-2011, 10:20 AM
Hall likely to go to GWS, Cornes & Brogan going there as well, Power could also head there.
The AFL is becoming a joke with the franchise offering Superannuation to these old players. The one team player is dying if it has not already.

Mofra
04-10-2011, 10:35 AM
Barry would be a fool if he excepts this as are GWS.
What's there objective after 2012?
They are after the publicity, and Hall is well known in Sydney. He would be a marketing goldmine for them. Football performance next year is somewhat secondary.

He also may attract something for us too, even if it is a late round pick.
He wont hurt us on the field - he is a downhill skiier in many respects, provides no defensive pressure and with GWS unlikely to be winning midfield battles, I can't see them doing much next year.

The Underdog
04-10-2011, 11:23 AM
The AFL is becoming a joke with the franchise offering Superannuation to these old players. The one team player is dying if it has not already.

I'm not sure it ever existed.

BulldogBelle
04-10-2011, 11:26 AM
They are after the publicity, and Hall is well known in Sydney. He would be a marketing goldmine for them. Football performance next year is somewhat secondary.

He wont hurt us on the field - he is a downhill skiier in many respects, provides no defensive pressure and with GWS unlikely to be winning midfield battles, I can't see them doing much next year.

If we can get a 3rd or 4th round pick for Hall that would be a good outcome

Thats a win:win - for Hall, GWS and for us

No pick - no Hall. Although Demetriou may have other ideas...

Greystache
04-10-2011, 12:11 PM

That shouldn't be an issue. He's not going to be playing in a forward line with guys like Gia and Higgins, in all likelihood he'll be surrounded by kids who can't win the footy but will chase and tackle their guts out. GC struggled without a key target to go to, but they actually won a lot of ball through the midfield. Hall could cause some damage in a few games next year if he plays. Imagine him playing against us this year with Mulligan at full back, us losing the clearances, and zero defensive accountability through the midfield.

Mofra
04-10-2011, 01:05 PM
That shouldn't be an issue. He's not going to be playing in a forward line with guys like Gia and Higgins, in all likelihood he'll be surrounded by kids who can't win the footy but will chase and tackle their guts out. GC struggled without a key target to go to, but they actually won a lot of ball through the midfield. Hall could cause some damage in a few games next year if he plays. Imagine him playing against us this year with Mulligan at full back, us losing the clearances, and zero defensive accountability through the midfield.
He rarely played with Gia & Higgins in the same forwardline - his good form coincided with his decision to retire, so mentally havign to get through pre-season and a full season again I'd expect to see H1 2011 Barry more often than the last 6-7 weeks of Barry next year.
We could also imagine him playing on Lake with Williams in support with plenty of defensive pressure in the midfield ;)

Regardless, if he plays on we get something and if he doesn't we get nothing so I'd rather see him go around again.

bornadog
04-10-2011, 03:20 PM
If we can get a 3rd or 4th round pick for Hall that would be a good outcome

Thats a win:win - for Hall, GWS and for us

No pick - no Hall. Although Demetriou may have other ideas...

Port is being compensated for Brogan and Cornes who were supposedly retired so there is no reason why we wouldn't be compensated as well. Sheedy thinks Hall will head to a boxing career.

jazzadogs
05-10-2011, 09:40 AM
Mark Stevens tweeted this morning that the Dogs will be seeking a trade (aka a draft pick) for Baz if be decides to go to GWS.

Mofra
05-10-2011, 10:51 AM
Mark Stevens tweeted this morning that the Dogs will be seeking a trade (aka a draft pick) for Baz if be decides to go to GWS.
As we should - good news.

ledge
05-10-2011, 11:11 AM

He has been great to us and keeps being good for us, got him for a low wage, 2 years of great footy and now a draft pick or trade, I am not complaining, all round great pick up.
win/win/win the man who just keeps giving:D

bornadog
05-10-2011, 05:58 PM
Sheedy rules out Hall, Mooney and Aker (http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2011/10/05/sheedy-rules-out-hall-mooney-and-aker/)

ledge
05-10-2011, 06:07 PM
Well that finishes this line of discussion I suppose.

azabob
05-10-2011, 06:12 PM
Well that finishes this line of discussion I suppose.

Does it? Sheedy lies. He probably has both of them already signed!

G-Mo77
05-10-2011, 06:13 PM
Sheedy rules out Hall, Mooney and Aker (http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2011/10/05/sheedy-rules-out-hall-mooney-and-aker/)

That ends this discussion then.

5NNOrp_83RU

anfo27
05-10-2011, 06:40 PM
That ends this discussion then.

5NNOrp_83RU

Gold G-Mo. Sheedy does remind me of Frank.

jeemak
06-10-2011, 01:53 AM
Sheedy is a very "clever" man when it comes to keeping us all guessing. I still wouldn't be surprised if Hall turned out for GWS next year. As long as we get something for him I'm OK with it.

KT31
06-10-2011, 02:18 AM
Sheedy is a very "clever" man when it comes to keeping us all guessing. I still wouldn't be surprised if Hall turned out for GWS next year. As long as we get something for him I'm OK with it.

Not to sure he is "clever", If you mean you think he is arrogant, full of shite and thinks he can bullshit for the sake of it.
Then I agree.

Greystache
06-10-2011, 10:37 AM
Not to sure he is "clever", If you mean you think he is arrogant, full of shite and thinks he can bullshit for the sake of it.
Then I agree.

Agreed, I'm not sure a clever man needs a full time chaperone to make sure he gets home safely each night, as Sheedy did in his last few years at Essendon.

Desipura
06-10-2011, 11:10 AM
Agreed, I'm not sure a clever man needs a full time chaperone to make sure he gets home safely each night, as Sheedy did in his last few years at Essendon.
Loves a drink and would rock up to training late. Tim Watsons book is a real eye opener to what sort of person Sheedy was at Essendon.
Sheeds loved to meet up with sponsors and claim he was promoting the club whilst getting on the drink at the same time.

LostDoggy
06-10-2011, 11:27 AM
Loves a drink and would rock up to training late. Tim Watsons book is a real eye opener to what sort of person Sheedy was at Essendon.
Sheeds loved to meet up with sponsors and claim he was promoting the club whilst getting on the drink at the same time.

he was a virual non-drinker during his playing days - it was later in life he discovered the wonders of red.

jeemak
06-10-2011, 11:32 AM
Then I agree.

Just another example of how dry comments or sarcasm do not translate well over the internet. I should probably know better.

Sheedy is a lunatic as far as I'm concerned, and I think nothing but excrement spews from his mouth 99% of the time.

Topdog
06-10-2011, 11:40 AM
emoticons really help with showing sarcasm

Greystache
06-10-2011, 01:00 PM

And has a serious phobia of taxi's if you follow my drift.

Desipura
06-10-2011, 01:30 PM
And has a serious phobia of taxi's if you follow my drift.
So he gets on well with Hurley then?

hujsh
06-10-2011, 02:05 PM
Just another example of how dry comments or sarcasm do not translate well over the internet. I should probably know better.

Sheedy is a lunatic as far as I'm concerned, and I think nothing but excrement spews from his mouth 99% of the time.

I think you made it pretty clear by putting it in quotation marks.

Greystache
06-10-2011, 02:28 PM
So he gets on well with Hurley then?

No, Hurley will actually use one. Sheedy prefers to get himself home.

BulldogBelle
06-10-2011, 06:37 PM
No, Hurley will actually use one. Sheedy prefers to get himself home.

Am sure Skoda have looked after Sheedy up in Sydney

Sheedy has said a couple of times that he would be interested in Hall - even if he just played home games

Given how strongly BBB finished the season his thoughts wouldn't have changed