PDA

View Full Version : The 2011 GF

LostDoggy
01-10-2011, 04:59 PM
Gesz Id love to get collingwood umpiring each week.

LostDoggy
01-10-2011, 05:00 PM
3 points to the pies at half time. Pods gone. Good game so far spoiled by some gift frees in front of goal

bornadog
01-10-2011, 05:09 PM
3 points to the pies at half time. Pods gone. Good game so far spoiled by some gift frees in front of goal

Yep a couple of interesting ones. How many times does Ben Johnson have to duck his head.

ledge
01-10-2011, 05:10 PM
How easy was Dangerfield in the sprint?
Said Brad Johnson helped him out, get him here Brad!

The Bulldogs Bite
01-10-2011, 06:42 PM
I hate Geelong, and can't wait to hear about how great they are from literally everydown down in Geelong.

Think it's best to stay home tonight!

Grand Finals make me depressed.

bornadog
01-10-2011, 06:47 PM
The Collingwood Press unsustainable and smashed today, Just goes to show the corridor is the quickest way home and a couple of big marking forwards and a solid defence make the difference.

cinder
01-10-2011, 06:49 PM
Well done Cats.
Bomber who? Ablett who?

ledge
01-10-2011, 07:01 PM
Glad our coach comes from this lot.

ledge
01-10-2011, 07:03 PM
I think it was a disgrace that Mick Malthouse got a tribute ahead of the premiership winners, thought game was bigger than the individual?
Eddie hands in the AFL again?

AndrewP6
01-10-2011, 07:04 PM
I think it was a disgrace that Mick Malthouse got a tribute ahead of the premiership winners, thought game was bigger than the individual?

Couldn't agree more... disgusting bias, getting preference over what should've been a great celebration for Cats fans and players.

AndrewP6
01-10-2011, 07:06 PM
Well done Cats, I'm soooo glad they got it done today, and in fine fashion too.

To be honest, I thought when Gablett and Bomber left, they'd drop a bit. Full credit to them.

LostDoggy
01-10-2011, 07:11 PM
Currently in Geelong while the bogans go nuts. Blerhhhhhh. So jealous.

ledge
01-10-2011, 07:15 PM

Celebrate with them, after all they did beat Collingwood!

The Bulldogs Bite
01-10-2011, 07:29 PM

If you're from Geelong, I feel for you.

It's the biggest bandwagoning city in the country. I couldn't stand to be there!

LostDoggy
01-10-2011, 07:40 PM
I hate Geelong, and can't wait to hear about how great they are from literally everydown down in Geelong.

Think it's best to stay home tonight!

Grand Finals make me depressed.

I am also in Geelong and in exactly the same boat. Self pity time!

GVGjr
01-10-2011, 07:43 PM
The Cats have been a magnificent side over the last few seasons. Both their footy and administration departments are just spot on. Hopefully McCartney can guide us along the journey.

boydogs
01-10-2011, 08:07 PM

40 years in the game, deserved a mention. Better at the start than half way through the Cats celebrations

AndrewP6
01-10-2011, 08:10 PM
40 years in the game, deserved a mention. Better at the start than half way through the Cats celebrations

Disagree, that should've been the Cats moment. If they wanted to do something, do it after the medal presentations.

ledge
01-10-2011, 08:39 PM

Do it in the papers, in the media but not on GF day at the GF.
If thats the case and they dont want to be prejudice why didnt Lethal get a mention when he went out, Sheedy? plenty of others that have served the league that long that didnt get that kind of send off in their last season, dont even know if its his last season.
Just because its Collingwood and Eddie is a figjam.
Its Geelongs day Geelong won, Malthouse had his premierships now leave it for Geelong!

angelopetraglia
01-10-2011, 08:48 PM
Cats are a truly great team. Unbelievable record since 2007. A real dynasty.

Great day for football when the Pies get done in a GF. World football order has been returned to normal. Collingwood is losing GFs again.

EasternWest
01-10-2011, 09:00 PM
How good is Jimmy Bartel? Never falters in the big moments. Takes big marks, brave as hell.

We should find a way to steal his DNA and clone him. Just a gun.

AndrewP6
01-10-2011, 09:06 PM
I just watched Meat Loaf's "performance" (and I use that term loosely!) on You Tube. :eek:

Wonder who/what he'll blame for that.

Sedat
01-10-2011, 09:24 PM
With the greatest of respect to Chris Scott and Mark Thompson, this core group of Geelong players is very special. They have lost 20 games in 5 completed seasons - they have an insatiable appetite for the contest, week after week and year after year. What they have done this season, after having lost the best player in the competition, is remarkable. Today they smashed the Pies by +30 in contested possessions - I am in awe of their collective will to win the 50/50 contests. We need to look no further for inspiration and influence.

LostDoggy
01-10-2011, 09:54 PM
Well done Geelong, a great team effort beat the best team of two seasone. Football won tonight.

Mantis
01-10-2011, 11:00 PM
With the greatest of respect to Chris Scott and Mark Thompson, this core group of Geelong players is very special. They have lost 20 games in 5 completed seasons - they have an insatiable appetite for the contest, week after week and year after year. What they have done this season, after having lost the best player in the competition, is remarkable. Today they smashed the Pies by +30 in contested possessions - I am in awe of their collective will to win the 50/50 contests. We need to look no further for inspiration and influence.

+1.

They put an exceptional side to the sword today... I hope we can play like that one day.

Hotdog60
01-10-2011, 11:04 PM
I just watched Meat Loaf's "performance" (and I use that term loosely!) on You Tube. :eek:

Wonder who/what he'll blame for that.

I've watched it also, OMG what crap. How much did that cost the AFL? They should ask for a refund, surely we could have got some home grown talent or at least an artist that can still perform. Bring on Sir Cliff.:D

AndrewP6
01-10-2011, 11:11 PM
I've watched it also, OMG what crap. How much did that cost the AFL? They should ask for a refund, surely we could have got some home grown talent or at least an artist that can still perform. Bring on Sir Cliff.:D

I've heard anywhere from $300k - $800k

Hotdog60
01-10-2011, 11:23 PM
I've heard anywhere from $300k - $800k

Andy D must be a closet fan. Australian game should Australian talent broadcast to the world. I doubt we would see Doc Neeson perform at the Super Bowl.

LostDoggy
01-10-2011, 11:31 PM
How was Tom Hawkins. Had he kicked straight, he would have been the norm smith medalist.
I know Reid was injured and AA but a tad overrated. Very piss poor.
Tarrant 3 losing GFs and Neon 4 non winning ones. Hehe

Who would you give the Mark Athorn medal (worst on ground) to? Blair? Fassolo(did get a touch)?

Btw that was the first full game of afl I watched all year that the bulldogs didn't play

Hotdog60
01-10-2011, 11:39 PM
How was Tom Hawkins. Had he kicked straight, he would have been the norm smith medalist.
I know Reid was injured and AA but a tad overrated. Very piss poor.
Tarrant 3 losing GFs and Neon 4 non winning ones. Hehe

Who would you give the Mark Athorn medal (worst on ground) to? Blair? Fassolo(did get a touch)?

Btw that was the first full game of afl I watched all year that the bulldogs didn't play

Can we give it to Didak, he was well held and did very little all day. Reid dropped his bundle when Hawkins clunk a few.

Sedat
01-10-2011, 11:47 PM
For experienced players, Didak and Maxwell were a whole world of useless, but Blair was a complete non-factor in conditions tailor-made for him.

AndrewP6
01-10-2011, 11:53 PM

I'll cut Blair and Fasolo some slack, they've got the excuse of inexperience. Didak gets the Athorn, for mine.

ledge
01-10-2011, 11:56 PM
Dawes was pretty useless

The Coon Dog
02-10-2011, 12:03 AM
Just how did the goal umpire miss the ball hitting the post from Wellingham's shot in the 3rd quarter?

ledge
02-10-2011, 12:08 AM
Just how did the goal umpire miss the ball hitting the post from Wellingham's shot in the 3rd quarter?

The goal umpire was Razor Chamberlain in disguise, he knocked out the original goalie at halftime because he just had to make some sort of mark on the game.

Remi Moses
02-10-2011, 12:39 AM
That game was like the 01 GF with The Pies going into the game with a fitness cloud over to many players.
I Heard Robert Shaw on SEN saying the Bombres went into that game with about 5 players with soft tissue injuries. Huge Mistake, but kudos to Geelong an amazing dominance 101 out of 116! Just incredible.
My Athorn goes to Didak, he's had a Brian Lake ofa season.
Runner up is Chris Dawes and third place Jarryd Blair .
Unsung Hero award goes to Tom Lonergan,

bornadog
02-10-2011, 12:49 AM
Dawes was pretty useless

Did Cloke touch the ball after quarter time?

The Coon Dog
02-10-2011, 01:00 AM
Unsung Hero award goes to Tom Lonergan,
What a scar he has! :eek:

http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2007/06/13/va1237251704086/Tom-Lonergan-5524897.jpg

Ghost Dog
02-10-2011, 01:23 AM
What a scar he has! :eek:

http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2007/06/13/va1237251704086/Tom-Lonergan-5524897.jpg

The hell is that from?

AndrewP6
02-10-2011, 01:29 AM
The hell is that from?

Lonergan had a kidney removed after being inured in a match (vs Melbourne, IIRC) back in 2006. Was in terrible strife, lost massive amounts of blood during surgery, was placed in an induced coma too. Tough guy.

Chicago1
02-10-2011, 05:43 AM
I absolutely loved watching Collingwood lose. It was shown live on ESPN2 starting at 11PM Friday here so I was set up with homemade sausage rolls, hot chips with tonnes of salt and vinegar and James Boag's Premium Lager for the event.

I received information that a very wordy Collingwood poster on BF claims to have flown in from New York for the PF and GF. However, that couldn't be the case. One just could not log into BF at the same time that the alleged flight was over the Pacific. Oops. :D

Yes, it's been a fantastic weekend so far! :p

Go_Dogs
02-10-2011, 10:35 AM
Great game.

Hawkins played a ripper, besides missing a couple of gettable ones, Steve Johnson was fantastic especially given the uncertainty of his leg holding up. Bartel, Varcoe, Selwood, the list goes on. Also thought Mackie played a good role down back, Taylor very good.

Well done to the Cats, a remarkable effort.

EasternWest
02-10-2011, 10:45 AM
Great game.

Hawkins played a ripper, besides missing a couple of gettable ones, Steve Johnson was fantastic especially given the uncertainty of his leg holding up. Bartel, Varcoe, Selwood, the list goes on. Also thought Mackie played a good role down back, Taylor very good.

Well done to the Cats, a remarkable effort.

Not sure about that. Cloke demolished Taylor, and it was only when Lonergan switched onto him that Cloke was shut out. Taylor was good after he was taken off Cloke.

Cloke looked like he might single handedly beat Geelong, and Lonergan turned him into a non factor. Probably the best game he's ever played.

LostDoggy
02-10-2011, 10:57 AM
Geelong should have really won the last 5 flags. Thompson cost them last year and poor kicking in 08

ledge
02-10-2011, 11:10 AM
Geelong should have really won the last 5 flags. Thompson cost them last year and poor kicking in 08

They didnt even make the grand final last year so your being very speculative on that one.
You me or anyone has no idea on how they would have performed last year if they made it.

GVGjr
02-10-2011, 11:43 AM

True enough but how outstandingly have they managed their list during this period?
They introduced a lot of new players this year and still have a few more shots to fire in the coming years. Things happen quickly in football but all the signs still look exceptionally positive for them.

Go_Dogs
02-10-2011, 01:02 PM
Not sure about that. Cloke demolished Taylor, and it was only when Lonergan switched onto him that Cloke was shut out. Taylor was good after he was taken off Cloke.

Cloke looked like he might single handedly beat Geelong, and Lonergan turned him into a non factor. Probably the best game he's ever played.

Fair enough. Cloke did look very dangerous early. Taylor was pretty impressive taking quite a few marks from opposition kicks.

EasternWest
02-10-2011, 01:18 PM
Fair enough. Cloke did look very dangerous early. Taylor was pretty impressive taking quite a few marks from opposition kicks.

Yeah I agree Taylor did really well after the switch. He's got good hands and reads the flight well.

azabob
02-10-2011, 01:38 PM
How good was Christensen's mark in between two Collingwood players on the half back flank
moved the ball on which resulted in a soccer goal to Hawkins.

bornadog
02-10-2011, 01:57 PM
+1.

They put an exceptional side to the sword today... I hope we can play like that one day.

So you now like their game plan?

LostDoggy
02-10-2011, 02:00 PM
They didnt even make the grand final last year so your being very speculative on that one.
You me or anyone has no idea on how they would have performed last year if they made it.

As I said their season may have been derailed by coach with other things on his mind, not talking to his best player and not playing one of his best rebounders (Mackie). The geelong fans believe it.

Remi Moses
02-10-2011, 02:08 PM
As I said their season may have been derailed by coach with other things on his mind, not talking to his best player and not playing one of his best rebounders (Mackie). The geelong fans believe it.

Geelong fans thought a certain building Society was safe as well.
Collingwood were miles better than Geelong last year, I think when you get pantsed like that it's obvious. I know you have a blind hatred of Collingwood but that's a silly statement.

Stefcep
02-10-2011, 02:09 PM

yeah. Big IF though.

Was always coached you get zero points for the mark. Job's only half done. As their KPF its his job to finish. He chickened-out on one too, hurriedly dishing it off to Johnson. Sorry I didn't go with all the TV hype about how great Hawkins was.

Johnson: Now there's a super star: injured, made every possession and kick count, when it mattered, on the big stage. Brilliant.

ledge
02-10-2011, 02:13 PM

May I accept but would have i dont.

LostDoggy
02-10-2011, 02:17 PM
Geelong fans thought a certain building Society was safe as well.
Collingwood were miles better than Geelong last year, I think when you get pantsed like that it's obvious. I know you have a blind hatred of Collingwood but that's a silly statement.
Silly? You seem to have forgotten the pies drew the first gf with the saints. The saints were 2 points better than the cats 3 weeks earlier. Would have backed this Geelong side, having been there to be as close or better than a wobbly collingwood.

ledge
02-10-2011, 02:24 PM
yeah. Big IF though.

Was always coached you get zero points for the mark. Job's only half done. As their KPF its his job to finish. He chickened-out on one too, hurriedly dishing it off to Johnson. Sorry I didn't go with all the TV hype about how great Hawkins was.

Johnson: Now there's a super star: injured, made every possession and kick count, when it mattered, on the big stage. Brilliant.

Hawkins was very lucky he is very over rated, on the big day everything thing went for him, played on an injured player balls drop in goalsquare miraculously in front of him, but he still managed to miss goals.
The media rave on about where has he been?
Gee anyone plays so many games , one day its all going to happen for you eventually, it just happened to be a grand final.
He isnt consistant and I honestly thought they might even trade him at the end of year, but yesterday just made him safe.

The kid has good hands and is a big strong boy but my god his agillity is more like Mick Nolan, couldnt do a 360 on the MCG because its too small.

Johnson is just an out and out star, so cool and does the little taps etc that if they come off he is a genius and they regularly do.

Mantis
02-10-2011, 07:53 PM
So you now like their game plan?

Not really... I like their players.

Go_Dogs
02-10-2011, 10:15 PM
How good was Christensen's mark in between two Collingwood players on the half back flank
moved the ball on which resulted in a soccer goal to Hawkins.

Great mark.

He played a very good game and won a bunch of contested ball.

Ghost Dog
03-10-2011, 12:11 AM
Hawkins was very lucky he is very over rated, on the big day everything thing went for him, played on an injured player balls drop in goalsquare miraculously in front of him, but he still managed to miss goals.
The media rave on about where has he been?
Gee anyone plays so many games , one day its all going to happen for you eventually, it just happened to be a grand final.
He isnt consistant and I honestly thought they might even trade him at the end of year, but yesterday just made him safe.

The kid has good hands and is a big strong boy but my god his agillity is more like Mick Nolan, couldnt do a 360 on the MCG because its too small.

Johnson is just an out and out star, so cool and does the little taps etc that if they come off he is a genius and they regularly do.

I think a few Geelong fans will agree. But who cares? He stepped up on the day. If he had slotted those three, a close second in the norm smith perhaps?
Was happy for him.
key forwards are like gold. Those who debated the value of a marking key forward in the modern game were mistaken.

Ozza
03-10-2011, 12:33 PM
Wasn't it great to see Didak falter so badly in the big game. He shouldn't have been playing.
You can't take petrified players into a Grand Final unless they are in spectacular form.

Jimmy Bartel - what a player. Just goes to show that you don't necessarily need a stack of pace or athleticism to be a champion - what a footballer.

ledge
03-10-2011, 01:01 PM
Wasn't it great to see Didak falter so badly in the big game. He shouldn't have been playing.
You can't take petrified players into a Grand Final unless they are in spectacular form.

Jimmy Bartel - what a player. Just goes to show that you don't necessarily need a stack of pace or athleticism to be a champion - what a footballer.

My biggest rant in Football is why in the last 10 to 15 have football clubs looked at athletes and gone on some sort of athletic abillity and not football nous.
The draft combine is some sort of little athletics comp to me and records jumps and speed etc and recruiters go on this???
Bit like trying to get into the swimming olympics and the requirements are to kick a footy 70 metres.
I think it was only last year Buckley bought in some sort of football use test.

I personally would be looking at the natural footballer, you can improve speed etc but football brain is born into you.
Williams, Wilson Liberatore and many more wouldnt have got a look in nowadays and they are Brownlow medallists.

Ozza
03-10-2011, 01:23 PM
My biggest rant in Football is why in the last 10 to 15 have football clubs looked at athletes and gone on some sort of athletic abillity and not football nous.The draft combine is some sort of little athletics comp to me and records jumps and speed etc and recruiters go on this???
Bit like trying to get into the swimming olympics and the requirements are to kick a footy 70 metres.
I think it was only last year Buckley bought in some sort of football use test.

I personally would be looking at the natural footballer, you can improve speed etc but football brain is born into you.
Williams, Wilson Liberatore and many more wouldnt have got a look in nowadays and they are Brownlow medallists.

I'm sick of hearing about how Mitch Wallis won't make it because he is too slow etc. Fair enough if people don't think he is a good footballer - thats their opinion - but plenty of blokes with similar physical traits have become outstanding footballers and continue to be great in the modern game - as shown in this finals series by Bartel, Cameron Ling, Selwood, Luke Ball, Jordan Lewis, Luke Hodge, Sam Mitchell and Matthew Priddis - to name a few.

We have become pretty obsessed with pace, and what 'role' a player can be classed as. "Is he outside, or inside, is he quick enough to be 'outside'?, etc"....how do we define Jimmy Bartel in this criteria.

I just hope we can draft some smart footballers, because guys like Bartel, Corey, Ling and Selwood are just hard and smart footballers. Geelong have never been overloaded with leg speed - but they make good decisions with and without the footy.

As Mantis said earlier - I just hope our team can play like that one day.

ledge
03-10-2011, 01:26 PM
Glad I am not on my own in this thinking, the first side to look at genuine footballers will be the side that dominates in the years after

LostDoggy
06-10-2011, 07:58 PM
Glad I am not on my own in this thinking, the first side to look at genuine footballers will be the side that dominates in the years after

Geelong already is, aren't they?

The one thing they ARE going with is big hard bodies though, even if they aren't going with pure speed. Collingwood just couldn't get it to the outside of the stoppage even when they got first hands on it because the big gun Cat mids (especially Corey, what an underrated superstar) kept blocking the space and scragging for the ball. It was like having five Ben Hudsons in there, but all with supreme football intelligence so they were covering for each other as much as trying to snag the ball.

They do have pace though to complement their grunt -- Varcoe, Stokes and Wocjinski (spelling?) are all very quick off the mark, and clean enough to finish off the good work of their engine room.

It's all about balance, clear roles, and most importantly, that not-often-spoken-of quality that makes otherwise 'good' teams (and marriages!) great: chemistry.

LostDoggy
06-10-2011, 08:00 PM
And Bartel's goal from outside 50 in the second half was just pure class. I didn't even know he had the distance in him, but didn't look like missing.

THAT'S clutch.

azabob
06-10-2011, 08:43 PM
And Bartel's goal from outside 50 in the second half was just pure class. I didn't even know he had the distance in him, but didn't look like missing.

THAT'S clutch.

Just as hard and just as much pressure was his goal in the second quarter from near the boundary. For the cats to get back within three points at half time was amazing.

Topdog
07-10-2011, 04:57 PM

THAT'S clutch.

He doesn't! I think he was amazed himself.

Bulldog Joe
07-10-2011, 06:10 PM
Reading through all the posts and the media reports, I am surprised at how little Ottens has been mentioned.

i thought his influence was huge as he really contributed to the centre clearance work and that 1st goal was really due to Ottens. He was responsible for the first 3 centre clearances and just had the better of Jolly all game.

When I checked the stats I was amazed to see Jolly credited with more hit outs and better advantage. Ottens simply set up goals and goal scoring chances. He also got mauled consistently by Jolly with little help from the umps.

For mine Bartel turned the game around when needed but Ottens was the best Geelong player in the first half. I would have had him a close second in the Norm Smith.