PDA

View Full Version : McCartney says he doesn't expect to be active during trade week

turtle
03-10-2011, 02:02 PM
On Foxsports McCartney was involved in an interview to discuss Geelongs premiership but he also talked about trade week. He said he didn't expect to be too active in trade week and was happy to let Dalrymple and Fantasia keep doing what they were doing.

Link is here
http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/video?subcat=1225916318050

Go_Dogs
03-10-2011, 02:35 PM
A show of confidence in what Fantasia is going? His popularity might fall back ;)

I think it's fair enough at this stage. He will probably look to see if he can get improvement out of the list and take some time to make his assessments on some others.

ledge
03-10-2011, 03:17 PM
Proves Lake is staying.

Mantis
03-10-2011, 03:39 PM
Proves Lake is staying.

I'm not sure that can be taken from the article.

He said that he isn't going to be active in trade week... He didn't say the we won't.

But I think Lake will stay too.

turtle
03-10-2011, 04:04 PM

He said that he isn't going to be active in trade week... He didn't say the we won't.

I've got to admit I thought about the "he" and "we" aspects whilst I was watching the clip, but I got the feeling he was talking generally frnm the club perspective. From that I took that maybe he is thinking about taking on Hill, Stack and a few of the other guys that have underperformed in the past. It will be very interesting to see how this all plays out over the next week and half.

ledge
03-10-2011, 04:11 PM

Didnt mean he was staying on that statement meant he was staying on what he said about Lake , getting a pre season into him, making sure he is over the operations.

Sedat
03-10-2011, 06:31 PM
The less trades we do, the less chance Fantasia has of screwing them up.

ledge
03-10-2011, 06:33 PM

Haha I like that , maybe thats the secret plan.

ledge
03-10-2011, 06:34 PM
Seriously though they must think our list is pretty good.

bornadog
03-10-2011, 06:37 PM

No, maybe he wants to draft kids and not trade for hasbeens.

G-Mo77
03-10-2011, 06:38 PM
I've got to admit I thought about the "he" and "we" aspects whilst I was watching the clip, but I got the feeling he was talking generally frnm the club perspective. From that I took that maybe he is thinking about taking on Hill, Stack and a few of the other guys that have underperformed in the past. It will be very interesting to see how this all plays out over the next week and half.

It seems that way, new coach clean slate mentality which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It'll be interesting to see if they do retain these guys and a few others if there is any improvment under a different regime.

anfo27
03-10-2011, 06:39 PM
With the lack of quality in this years draft I just don't see a lot of trades getting done this year. Even if we wanted to trade Lake or anyone else GWS has most of the picks so there just isn't enough quality picks around to get a lot of these trades done.

LostDoggy
03-10-2011, 06:44 PM

Seriously, let it go.

I tend to think we have got the players here but who have under performed for a variety of reasons, whether it be injury, lack of opportunity, a brittle game plan, lack of conditioning etc etc. Given a contested footy and team orientated game plan and the right teaching, could they not develop beyond what they have already? In which case, Fantasia (and Dalrymple) will be shown to be far less of the devil that you continually paint him to be.

hujsh
03-10-2011, 06:56 PM
Seriously, let it go.

I tend to think we have got the players here but who have under performed for a variety of reasons, whether it be injury, lack of opportunity, a brittle game plan, lack of conditioning etc etc. Given a contested footy and team orientated game plan and the right teaching, could they not develop beyond what they have already? In which case, Fantasia (and Dalrymple) will be shown to be far less of the devil that you continually paint him to be.

Trading a pick Geelong didn't even use for Djerkurra will never become a good move no matter how much he might improve. Fantasia has been judged on contract negotiations and trade deals which have not been spectacular under his reign. It's fair enough to expect improvement here or some changes to be made.

chef
03-10-2011, 07:17 PM

This.

The Bulldogs Bite
04-10-2011, 12:14 AM
No point in trading for mediocre players, or top up players.

That leaves us with the hope of securing a 'good young talent' ... but you overpay for these types.

Alas, our only trading should be to get draft picks for any of Hill, Stack, Addison, Reid etc.

The Underdog
04-10-2011, 09:22 AM
No point in trading for mediocre players, or top up players.

That leaves us with the hope of securing a 'good young talent' ... but you overpay for these types.

Alas, our only trading should be to get draft picks for any of Hill, Stack, Addison, Reid etc.

More likely that we'll trade these players for draft picks with which we'll draft our future mediocre or top-up players, but you never know we might get lucky.

Bulldog Revolution
04-10-2011, 10:08 AM
More likely that we'll trade these players for draft picks with which we'll draft our future mediocre or top-up players, but you never know we might get lucky.

And thats the logic we should follow

Turn over the the list and give new players an opportunity. If we can unearth a few surprise packets a season e.g Dalhaus then we will be back in business quicker than we will be having the list full of fringe players

bornadog
04-10-2011, 10:35 AM
And thats the logic we should follow

Turn over the the list and give new players an opportunity. If we can unearth a few surprise packets a season e.g Dalhaus then we will be back in business quicker than we will be having the list full of fringe players

I agree, we don't want hasbeen players, lets just keep recruiting some young players. There are plenty of players out there looking for an opportunity, just as you mentioned BR, ala Dahlhaus.

Mofra
04-10-2011, 10:37 AM
Either that, or we've identified talent with our available picks we want to target and aren't prepared to sacrifice those picks for fringe players at other clubs.

I'd suggest Dalrymple, on what we've seen in his short recruiting career, is performing better than par.

Remi Moses
04-10-2011, 03:38 PM
Hopefully no list cloggers. The only activity I think we'll see is Sam Reid to West Sydney for an upgraded pick.

LostDoggy
04-10-2011, 10:24 PM
I have no problem if the club trades Gia. We have plenty of young players who could be moved into his position to get experience for our next tilt.

Could get a decent draft selection for him too.

FrediKanoute
04-10-2011, 10:45 PM
I think trading Gia would be condemming the club to a couple of years of celler dwelling. Gia was our second highest goalscorer last year. He was a shining light through a very grey period durig the season. I'm not sure who you think could step in and play the role he plays?

soupman
05-10-2011, 12:48 AM
I have no problem if the club trades Gia. We have plenty of young players who could be moved into his position to get experience for our next tilt.

Could get a decent draft selection for him too.

Do we really? His output has been pretty good and at times exceptional just this year. I'm also not sure that getting rid of him is the best message to our players that we are the club they want to finish their career with, because creating an image as a club that kicks you out once you are 30 means players at 28 are going to start looking at jumping ship. And don't kid yourself, Gia is worth little on the open market, and is worth substantially more to us as a player, let alone clubman, leader etc. than a mid 3rd round pick.

immortalmike
05-10-2011, 12:57 AM
Do we really? His output has been pretty good and at times exceptional just this year. I'm also not sure that getting rid of him is the best message to our players that we are the club they want to finish their career with, because creating an image as a club that kicks you out once you are 30 means players at 28 are going to start looking at jumping ship. And don't kid yourself, Gia is worth little on the open market, and is worth substantially more to us as a player, let alone clubman, leader etc. than a mid 3rd round pick.

Very much agree with this. Whether people like it or not Gia is both a leader and a great clubman. You don't trade his sort.

Maddog37
05-10-2011, 10:21 AM
The other side of the coin though is that a little like the Australian cricket team, you need to stagger the departure of the older guys. You do not want to lose Warne, McGrath, Hayden and Langer all at the same time.

Having said that I would be very surprised if he is traded.

1eyedog
05-10-2011, 11:04 AM
I think trading Gia would be condemming the club to a couple of years of celler dwelling. Gia was our second highest goalscorer last year. He was a shining light through a very grey period durig the season. I'm not sure who you think could step in and play the role he plays?

Small forward? Vez, Higgins or Cooney if he is unable to play in the midfield.

Swoop
05-10-2011, 02:35 PM
Small forward? Vez, Higgins or Cooney if he is unable to play in the midfield.
If Higgins is still playing as a small forward by the end of next season than I would be bitterly disappointed as it shows he will never become the quality midfielder we had hoped for.

In relation to Vez, he is currently coming from a long way back as he was overlooked for the Williamstown GF side and despite the 'potential' he has no proven track record and the question still remains as to whether he can make AFL level similarly to Djerkurra.

1eyedog
05-10-2011, 05:07 PM
If Higgins is still playing as a small forward by the end of next season than I would be bitterly disappointed as it shows he will never become the quality midfielder we had hoped for.

In relation to Vez, he is currently coming from a long way back as he was overlooked for the Williamstown GF side and despite the 'potential' he has no proven track record and the question still remains as to whether he can make AFL level similarly to Djerkurra.

I didn't say they were any good in the short term, but that's who would step into the role. Higgins will never be a midfielder and he hasn't been playing forward as much this season, he will not apply enough defensive pressure, he still does not have a big tank and he is too slow to be an effective outsider. Another preseason will not change it, he isn't a mid and I never saw him as one. I think you are going to be bitterly disappointed.

Vez showed glimpses at the end of the year and I'm hoping he just needs his chance. That's what we traded him into the club to do, so that's who would fill the role if Gia moved on. Either way Gia has a season or two tops and the players I mentioned previously will be the ones we look at IMO. Hooper is behind Vez IMO, Macca has indicated Grant may go back and Hill may be traded out. Other than DJ, I don't see any other options which highlights that we have a distinct shortage of forwards. We need to sign Gia up for two years.

jeemak
06-10-2011, 02:11 AM
I didn't say they were any good in the short term, but that's who would step into the role. Higgins will never be a midfielder and he hasn't been playing forward as much this season, he will not apply enough defensive pressure, he still does not have a big tank and he is too slow to be an effective outsider. Another preseason will not change it, he isn't a mid and I never saw him as one. I think you are going to be bitterly disappointed.

Vez showed glimpses at the end of the year and I'm hoping he just needs his chance. That's what we traded him into the club to do, so that's who would fill the role if Gia moved on. Either way Gia has a season or two tops and the players I mentioned previously will be the ones we look at IMO. Hooper is behind Vez IMO, Macca has indicated Grant may go back and Hill may be traded out. Other than DJ, I don't see any other options which highlights that we have a distinct shortage of forwards. We need to sign Gia up for two years.

Vez showed a fair bit at the end of the season and if he works hard over pre-season he'll be able to play a role forward for us however, he's a fair way off the output of Gia. I find it funny how the emphasis on all forwards these days is about how hard they chase and how many tackles they get. People tend to forget how important it is to kick goals along the way. Some people also need to take into account the areas a non-crumbing medium sized forward has to place themselves to either present as a second or third option providing space for the main forward targets within the side. A good reason why guys like Garlett etc. rack up the defensive stats is the fact their role is to be at the fall of the ball, not running away from it like Gia has to do regularly. I'd give Gia two years as well.

Higgins can still play a role rotating through the half lines and midfield for us. You're right, he's not a pure outsider though and never will be due to his pace issues. I look at a guy like Joel Corey from the Cats and see a role like his as Higgins' future. A clever linking player that can set up play is critical for our success going forward, and you don't need to be quick to fulfill that role. Don't underestimate what a couple of years of continuity can do for a player like Higgins by the time they reach the age of 25-26.

I'll vomit if Grant gets turned in to a defender, as he's clearly a natural and talented forward. He and Jones would present a tough combination of tall quick forwards rotating between high and low in a couple of years. Both need some time to develop, and patience from the football club and its supporters.

LostDoggy
06-10-2011, 09:04 PM
Vez showed a fair bit at the end of the season and if he works hard over pre-season he'll be able to play a role forward for us however, he's a fair way off the output of Gia.

Higgins can still play a role rotating through the half lines and midfield for us. You're right, he's not a pure outsider though and never will be due to his pace issues. I look at a guy like Joel Corey from the Cats and see a role like his as Higgins' future. A clever linking player that can set up play is critical for our success going forward, and you don't need to be quick to fulfill that role. Don't underestimate what a couple of years of continuity can do for a player like Higgins by the time they reach the age of 25-26.

I'll vomit if Grant gets turned in to a defender, as he's clearly a natural and talented forward. He and Jones would present a tough combination of tall quick forwards rotating between high and low in a couple of years. Both need some time to develop, and patience from the football club and its supporters.

Corey!!!!!? Really??!!!!? Good one - AhAAhahhhaaahhaaaaa..h...ha?....ha.......? You are joking right??? IMO, what we see is what we got and we ain't got no Corey. Got an servicable-good 12-18 range player but we can't pin the big hope on Higgins anymore.

On the other hand I totally agree re Grant. He needs time and confidence. Sadly, Higgins has run out of both.

bornadog
06-10-2011, 09:34 PM
He needs time and confidence. Sadly, Higgins has run out of both.

all at the age of 23

jeemak
07-10-2011, 02:48 AM
Corey!!!!!? Really??!!!!? Good one - AhAAhahhhaaahhaaaaa..h...ha?....ha.......? You are joking right??? IMO, what we see is what we got and we ain't got no Corey. Got an servicable-good 12-18 range player but we can't pin the big hope on Higgins anymore.

On the other hand I totally agree re Grant. He needs time and confidence. Sadly, Higgins has run out of both.

If you can point out to me where I said Higgins will equal the achievements of Joel Corey then I'll happily submit however, I said Higgins could play a similar role for us that Corey plays for the Cats. I've looked at his strengths and weaknesses as a footballer and made that determination, but if you want to provide reasons why I'm wrong then go for it. I'd be happy to read what you have to say.

They're of a similar build, and neither is especially athletic. They both make good decisions.

Higgins has had a very ordinary run with injury to this point. I get just as frustrated with him as the next supporter sometimes, but I at least keep that point at the back of my mind when I'm judging him. He is extremely talented, any reasonable person would agree with that however, continuity in fitness and effort is what is required to realise that talent. Some supporters are willing to move him on, or write him off at the age of 23, and that's fine. I'll give him a season or two of continual football to reach his peak.

Desipura
07-10-2011, 07:57 AM
all at the age of 23

Of which 3 years he had injuries.

OLD SCRAGGer
07-10-2011, 09:46 AM
very much agree with this. Whether people like it or not gia is both a leader and a great clubman. You don't trade his sort.

this !!!

Desipura
07-10-2011, 09:49 AM
this !!!

Not even for O'Meara? hahaha