PDA

View Full Version : Geelong assistant coach Matthew Egan on Western Bulldogs' wish list

The Coon Dog
04-10-2011, 12:19 AM
Mark Stevens - Herald Sun - 3 October

GEELONG could lose another highly-rated assistant coach as the Western Bulldogs circle Matthew Egan.

Egan, forced into premature retirement because of a foot injury, has a strong relationship with new Dogs coach Brendan McCartney.

Only 28, Egan has impressed in a development role at the Cats, with a particular focus on youth and the VFL team.

The Dogs, who have spoken to Egan, may be prepared to offer him an upgraded role as defensive coach.

It is understood the Dogs have told this year's defensive coach Peter Dean his contract would not be renewed.

Article in full... (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/geelong-assistant-coach-matthew-egan-on-western-bulldogs-wish-list/story-fn69a32t-1226157588606)

The Bulldogs Bite
04-10-2011, 02:28 AM
Forgot about Gia. I wonder if he would dare look elsewhere?

I don't know much about Egan, but we have to trust McCartney.

Bulldog Revolution
04-10-2011, 10:05 AM

Gia will have to take the one year offered. If he produces as he did this year he will get another contract. It's as simple as that.

We do, and we need to allow our new coach to surround himself with the people who he believes can deliver

I liked Egan as a player and he's clearly highly thought of by the cats. You'd think he'd be great for our young defenders, particularly the key positions Tommy Williams, Markovic etc

I had wondered if Milburn would be targetted by Brendo?

bornadog
04-10-2011, 10:32 AM

You would think Dads Army (GWS) would be the only ones that would want him.

BulldogBelle
04-10-2011, 10:45 AM
Wonder who would be interested in a hard body who doesnt have a great deal of silky skills - like Addison?

Being a Sydney lad he could be suitable to GWS

Possibly the GC would be interested in a mature body

3rd or 4th round selection at best

bornadog
04-10-2011, 11:07 AM
I hope BMac looks beyond just getting his mates over to Whitten Oval and looks for the best as assistants.

dog town
04-10-2011, 02:27 PM
Happy if we get Egan. Quality person and heard plenty of good things about his coaching.

craigsahibee
04-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Paul Williams confirmed as Carlton's new "stoppages" coach today.

Can't say I am sad to see him go. Could never really warm to him. Peter Dean is said to be on the way out also. Again, not too worried by that.

1eyedog
04-10-2011, 03:22 PM
Happy if we get Egan. Quality person and heard plenty of good things about his coaching.

Likewise, I read an article on Harry T and he said that Egan was huge as a mentor for him.

Pity he got struck down with a doodgy foot because he was looking like being a very, very good player for Geelong.

Twodogs
04-10-2011, 03:25 PM
I didnt realise that Guido finished ninth on the AFL goalkicking table this year. That's a pretty good effort.

immortalmike
04-10-2011, 03:26 PM
Gia will have to take the one year offered. If he produces as he did this year he will get another contract. It's as simple as that.

We do, and we need to allow our new coach to surround himself with the people who he believes can deliver

I liked Egan as a player and he's clearly highly thought of by the cats. You'd think he'd be great for our young defenders, particularly the key positions Tommy Williams, Markovic etc

I had wondered if Milburn would be targetted by Brendo?

Yeah but if you're Brian Lake or Dale Morris how would you feel being told what to do by someone who is your age and was not even as good as you.

bornadog
04-10-2011, 03:44 PM
I didnt realise that Guido finished ninth on the AFL goalkicking table this year. That's a pretty good effort.

Milne was picked as an all Australian and I think Guido was just as good. Certainly Guido's stats compared to Milne are equal.

Prince Imperial
04-10-2011, 03:49 PM
Yeah but if you're Brian Lake or Dale Morris how would you feel being told what to do by someone who is your age and was not even as good as you.

Egan was the All-Australian centre half back in 2007 in just his third season before being cut down with injury. I'm sure he will have the respect of all the defenders.

hujsh
04-10-2011, 04:08 PM

Egan looked like a better defender than Scarlett in 2007.Not as good attacking as Lake or Scarlett but he was getting the best forward every week. He was a massive loss at the time and they're lucky Taylor made such an impact as a mature age recruit to fill that gap.

soupman
04-10-2011, 05:23 PM

Doesn't this fall in the same category as the "McCartney never played AFL so how on earth will players respect him?" thread topic. I'm gonna say that surely our players are professional enough to recognise that as these guys are their coaches they are worth listening to.

immortalmike
04-10-2011, 05:45 PM
Doesn't this fall in the same category as the "McCartney never played AFL so how on earth will players respect him?" thread topic. I'm gonna say that surely our players are professional enough to recognise that as these guys are their coaches they are worth listening to.

No because at least McCartney is older and has had 3 decades of coaching experience. What has Egan done other than have one very good year as a footballer. Craig Ellis was an All Australian CHB too...Plus there is the age thing he is basically a peer and both Morris and Brian are older than him. You'd hope these guys would be professional but I think it could be hard for them to take pointers from the guy.

bornadog
04-10-2011, 05:51 PM
No because at least McCartney is older and has had 3 decades of coaching experience. What has Egan done other than have one very good year as a footballer. Craig Ellis was an All Australian CHB too...Plus there is the age thing he is basically a peer and both Morris and Brian are older than him.

So What?

He brings to the table the ability to coach, which is the most important thing.

ledge
04-10-2011, 05:57 PM
Geelong seems to have done okay with the head coach around the same age as some of the players.

Prince Imperial
04-10-2011, 06:43 PM
No because at least McCartney is older and has had 3 decades of coaching experience. What has Egan done other than have one very good year as a footballer. Craig Ellis was an All Australian CHB too...Plus there is the age thing he is basically a peer and both Morris and Brian are older than him. You'd hope these guys would be professional but I think it could be hard for them to take pointers from the guy.

Ellis was never an All Australian CHB and really only had one decent year in 97. Egan also has the advantage of coming from Geelong which will add to the respect.

The Doctor
04-10-2011, 06:56 PM

Well premiership defenders like Scarlett, Milburn, Enright and all the others didn't seem to mind.

immortalmike
04-10-2011, 07:56 PM
So What?

He brings to the table the ability to coach, which is the most important thing.

How do you know this?

Geelong seems to have done okay with the head coach around the same age as some of the players.

Yeah a 3 time premiership player who played under Matthews.

Ellis was never an All Australian CHB and really only had one decent year in 97. Egan also has the advantage of coming from Geelong which will add to the respect.

He wasn't was he? My mistake. Was he in the squad? Agree with the Geelong aspect but still I hope the guy can actually coach.

Well premiership defenders like Scarlett, Milburn, Enright and all the others didn't seem to mind.

He wasn't coaching them. My understanding is that he had a role coaching young VFL players.

Don't get me wrong if he's good get him but I was just raising a possibility. I personally would have trouble respecting his authority if I was Lake, Hargrave, Murph or Dale.

boydogs
04-10-2011, 08:12 PM
He wasn't coaching them. My understanding is that he had a role coaching young VFL players.

This. His young age is a mark against him IMO.

Mantis
04-10-2011, 08:21 PM
Don't get me wrong if he's good get him but I was just raising a possibility. I personally would have trouble respecting his authority if I was Lake, Hargrave, Murph or Dale.

But going on this theory why should they respect the senior coach who hasn't even played AFL footy?

Greystache
04-10-2011, 08:53 PM
But going on this theory why should they respect the senior coach who hasn't even played AFL footy?

Or why should anyone at Collingwood respect Nathan Buckley, he didn't even win a premiership?

immortalmike
04-10-2011, 10:09 PM

Or why should anyone at Collingwood respect Nathan Buckley, he didn't even win a premiership?

Can you really compare a bloke who has played one exceptional year of football and has done not much else to a guy who has been a career coach for decades (most at AFL level) and Nathan Buckley (Brownlow medalist, 200ish gamer and club captain)?

It seems that it's all or nothing with some people, there are nuances and specific situations. Egan may be better off coaching inexperienced or lower level players until he has runs on the board unless our veterans have no problem with a younger bloke with less experience being in an AFL environment than them telling them what to do and giving them advice. Basically if I were a 30 year old 200+ gamer I'd have trouble taking a 28 year old guy who'd played 50ish games and coached some kids seriously. Surely that's not an unreasonable suggestion!:confused:

LostDoggy
04-10-2011, 10:20 PM
I'm happy to leave the decision on assistant coaches to Brendan McCartney. Bloody hell, if he listened to some of the posters on this board he would be the most confused coach in the league.

Please remember, our club has not appeared in a Grand Final since 1961, so a few strategies from people who have experienced success from outside the club may be handy.

1eyedog
04-10-2011, 10:25 PM
This. His young age is a mark against him IMO.

So Scott's age (35) has been an issue down at Geelong? His senior playing group is nearly as old as him. Furthermore, there are so many early 30 something assistant coaches going around it's not funny. Why does someone have to be an old fart before they are any good?

Greystache
04-10-2011, 10:54 PM
Can you really compare a bloke who has played one exceptional year of football and has done not much else to a guy who has been a career coach for decades (most at AFL level) and Nathan Buckley (Brownlow medalist, 200ish gamer and club captain)?

It seems that it's all or nothing with some people, there are nuances and specific situations. Egan may be better off coaching inexperienced or lower level players until he has runs on the board unless our veterans have no problem with a younger bloke with less experience being in an AFL environment than them telling them what to do and giving them advice. Basically if I were a 30 year old 200+ gamer I'd have trouble taking a 28 year old guy who'd played 50ish games and coached some kids seriously. Surely that's not an unreasonable suggestion!:confused:

The point is any AFL player who would have a problem with authority as you suggest, like pretty much every other profession in life, will have a short and unsuccessful career.

bornadog
04-10-2011, 11:05 PM
How do you know this?.

Firstly he is a coach now at Geelong

Secondly, he is respected by BMac and he isnot going to take on someone that can't coach and that will make him look stupid.

You are only as good as the people you surround yourself with.

immortalmike
04-10-2011, 11:50 PM
The point is any AFL player who would have a problem with authority as you suggest, like pretty much every other profession in life, will have a short and unsuccessful career.

So respect for who is delivering the message means nothing. Strange that one of the first things (I think it was) Ling said was that the players really respected Brad Scott for his 3 premierships and being coached by Matthews and Brisbane's era of dominance. I also disagree with your premise that anyone who would question the authority of someone they believe to be a peer or unworthy would be unsuccessful.

I hope Egan is a good speaker and can get people onside quickly because his reputation certainly doesn't inspire confidence.

Firstly he is a coach now at Geelong

Secondly, he is respected by BMac and he isnot going to take on someone that can't coach and that will make him look stupid.

You are only as good as the people you surround yourself with.

He was coaching the VFL team not Geelong. Also just because someone comes from a successful culture doesn't mean they themselves will be successful.

I do agree with your next two statements. We need to trust in Macca's judgement and hope it works out. But that doesn't mean I can make a suggestion or question something that may not feel right.

Remi Moses
05-10-2011, 12:01 AM
Honestly the club could appoint Vince Lombardi as an assistant( if he was still with us), and some still wouldn't be happy.Got no idea how Egan would go,and who knows!!

Greystache
05-10-2011, 12:12 AM
I also disagree with your premise that anyone who would question the authority of someone they believe to be a peer or unworthy would be unsuccessful.

Good luck with that in your future.

immortalmike
05-10-2011, 12:18 AM
Good luck with that in your future.

No need to get flippant or personal. It gets tiresome and drives people away from these sorts of forums. Also I'm not a fan of being condscended to. I expect it on BigFooty not so much here.

AndrewP6
05-10-2011, 12:29 AM
Honestly the club could appoint Vince Lombardi as an assistant( if he was still with us), and some still wouldn't be happy.Got no idea how Egan would go,and who knows!!

What great quotes we'd get!

"Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

"If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score? "

AndrewP6
05-10-2011, 12:34 AM
FWIW, I can see theimmortalmike's point of view, in that I personally would find it hard to have a coach who was younger than me, telling me what to do, especially when said coach hasn't done a great deal in the game himself. I'd have preferred the new coach to be one with experience in the league, and so too the assistants. Just a personal view, nothing wrong with it.

As stated elsewhere, none of us can truly tell how it'll all pan out. As every year, we'll just sit down, buckle up and go for a ride - hopefully a good one.

immortalmike
05-10-2011, 12:43 AM

Vince Lombardi?! What the hell does he know about Football...;)

I think I've been misrepresenting my views a bit here. I agree with Remi's post. I have no idea how well any coach would go. I have no idea on the inner workings of the club or of Egan's skill set. I just made a possible suggestion (that I don't completely agree with) that an argument could be made for. But man playing the devil's advocate is hard on here...:(

FWIW, I can see theimmortalmike's point of view, in that I personally would find it hard to have a coach who was younger than me, telling me what to do, especially when said coach hasn't done a great deal in the game himself. I'd have preferred the new coach to be one with experience in the league, and so too the assistants. Just a personal view, nothing wrong with it.

As stated elsewhere, none of us can truly tell how it'll all pan out. As every year, we'll just sit down, buckle up and go for a ride - hopefully a good one.

Cheers Andrew. That's pretty much all I was trying to say. Along with hoping that our players are not like that.

Hotdog60
05-10-2011, 01:05 AM
I couldn't care if he was the janitor from the local primary school providing he helps bring home the silverware.:)

The Bulldogs Bite
05-10-2011, 05:28 AM
No need to get flippant or personal. It gets tiresome and drives people away from these sorts of forums. Also I'm not a fan of being condscended to. I expect it on BigFooty not so much here.

You've argued your point pretty well - and that's what a forum is about. I appreciated the different response and hope you continue to post your own opinion. Any reasoned opinion should be treated with respect.

The young age is a bit of a knock, and considering he hasn't coached at a high level, it's risky and possible some players may find it difficult to 'listen' and 'learn' from him. However, if we believe he's an outstanding candidate, then go get him. If players let their egos get ahead of them, they need a reality check or should be moved on.

Thing is, at our club, we're more likely to unearth great coaches rather than lure great coaches.

If we believe Egan is the right fit, I'm happy to do it.

bornadog
05-10-2011, 10:17 AM
He was coaching the VFL team not Geelong. Also just because someone comes from a successful culture doesn't mean they themselves will be successful.

I do agree with your next two statements. We need to trust in Macca's judgement and hope it works out. But that doesn't mean I can make a suggestion or question something that may not feel right.

I do understand what you mean. As an example, my daughter has been participating in flat water kayaking for the past 5 years. She commenced her interest in Kayaking through her school and participated in various races etc for the first few years. She got to a point a few years ago that the school programme was not giving her the training and coaching to the level she wanted. The school kayak club has 60 girls and they did not want to lose her and offered her an assistant coaching role. My daughter did the right thing and enrolled in a coaching course etc.

The first day of coaching, some of the girls that were her age complained and virtually abused her saying what do you know about kayaking, we have been doing this with you for the past 3 years (this was beginning of last year). These girls didn't know my daughter was in an elite squad and had been training 6 days per week etc etc.

She has had to earn their respect and all is good now. Egan may encounter similar issues, but the players may not outwardly express their view but may think this way.

jazzadogs
05-10-2011, 11:23 AM
Argument is all void now. Egan has been signed as an assistant by the Bombers.

ledge
05-10-2011, 11:25 AM
I do understand what you mean. As an example, my daughter has been participating in flat water kayaking for the past 5 years. She commenced her interest in Kayaking through her school and participated in various races etc for the first few years. She got to a point a few years ago that the school programme was not giving her the training and coaching to the level she wanted. The school kayak club has 60 girls and they did not want to lose her and offered her an assistant coaching role. My daughter did the right thing and enrolled in a coaching course etc.

The first day of coaching, some of the girls that were her age complained and virtually abused her saying what do you know about kayaking, we have been doing this with you for the past 3 years (this was beginning of last year). These girls didn't know my daughter was in an elite squad and had been training 6 days per week etc etc.

She has had to earn their respect and all is good now. Egan may encounter similar issues, but the players may not outwardly express their view but may think this way.

Its hardly the same your talking players employed, paid big money to do what whoever asks them to, this is proffessional, to me its not an issue, a big club is not going to hire a bloke if he has no respect.

I dont really think its a matter of leading hand telling someone what to do its more working as a team to get the best out of each other.

I am nearly 50 and I have kids of around 20 who are my boss, I dont look at it as they have no experience(which they havent) I do my job and they are there to help me achieve objectives.
Quite funny actually because in actual effect I am their boss if I dont reach targets they get questioned.
Coaches are much the same if the team doesnt perform whos out the door?;)

bornadog
05-10-2011, 11:31 AM
Egan joins the Bombers - now confirmed

Raw Toast
05-10-2011, 09:15 PM
Argument is all void now. Egan has been signed as an assistant by the Bombers.

Yup, so while I believe that our players wouldn't have had a problem with him, I sure do hope that the Essendon mob are immature (and possibly insecure) enough to have big problems with him and thus nullify any benefit he might have brought to them. (And yes, sometimes footy brings out the best in me!)

boydogs
06-10-2011, 01:22 AM
So Scott's age (35) has been an issue down at Geelong? His senior playing group is nearly as old as him. Furthermore, there are so many early 30 something assistant coaches going around it's not funny. Why does someone have to be an old fart before they are any good?

Scott had a full playing career in premiership teams under one of the greatest coaches of all time, and is now 35. Egan had one good year and is 28.

Much happier with Grant than Egan on the surface.

1eyedog
06-10-2011, 02:00 PM
Scott had a full playing career in premiership teams under one of the greatest coaches of all time, and is now 35. Egan had one good year and is 28.

Much happier with Grant than Egan on the surface.

You were talking about age in your post, not experience, but I get your point, although I still think 28 and 35 are not far apart for a player who is 30.

I think Egan and Grant would have performed vastly different roles, so it's not one for the other for mine. I'm sure if Egan had not been snaffled up Macca would have them both there. Grant was a super player in my book.