Thanks Thanks:  28
Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Players Sponsors night

I've just returned from the players sponsors night and it was a terrific evening. A real credit to the club. The turnout was huge requiring another venue with an improved capacity to be found early last week.

All players there except Clay Smith which was understandable.

Had the pleasure of sitting at a table with both Lukas Webb and Jack Macrae. Both are exceptional young men in fact having a quick chat to some of the other players before the evening officially got underway highlighted to me what a great job we have done in both recruiting players with good social skills and of course great players on the ground.
    I spent a fair portion of the night talking to Lukas and a nicer young man you will never meet.

- He had no idea that he was in the mix for the Dogs during the draft.
    - Somewhat surprised to hear they club had him pegged as a defender on draft night as he hadn't really played that role before.
    - He has really learned a lot about the game in a short space in time and talked about the way they defend is very different to just a man on man approach.
    - He mentioned that you switch opponents throughout the game and you might need to cover someone for just 10 seconds or so before moving back on to someone else.
    - Likes all aspects of the training but is obviously having his sessions well managed to not be overloaded.
    - Was keen to come to Melbourne and play in the VFL if he wasn't drafted.
    - He is hoping for a recall this week but admits the fitness team made the right call in giving him the week off.
    - I talked to him a bit about his journey to the AFL and about some of his games with Vic Country.
    - He lives with the same host family as Caleb Daniel and spends a bit of time with Koby Stevens. I gather Koby is popular with the players.

Kevin Hillier was the host of the night and as always did a fine job.

Webb and Wood were the first players up for Kevin to grill along with Luke Beveridge. Luke is exceptionally calm and measured but with a dry sense of humour. Bevo pointed out that Wood leads the league in intercept marks by a fair way and he seems to regard intercept marks as a health check on how the defensive structure is working. Earlier in the evening I mentioned to Lukas that I had been impressed with his intercept marking and he was able to give some rough numbers on a couple of the games he has played so it's obvious that the players are backing themselves.
    Both players spoke very well and are humble types.
    Bevo was superb with the way he relates to the players and the demand of being the senior coach and while he feels comfortable with the coaching aspects of the game he still finds some of the media requirements a bit of a challenge. He talked about the clubs online content he is doing with Robert Murphy and is becoming more comfortable with it.

Next up were Liam Picken, Tom Boyd and Lin Jong. Picken is obviously enjoying some more freedom. Tom Boyd is a natural in front of the mike and really gave detailed answers to the questions. Jong talked about his form and is playing style.

All in all another well run night by the club.

By the way the men of mayhem got a mention as well. I'll think of some more and add what I can.

Go doggies.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Players Sponsors night

Thank you for the update.

Did you talk to Macrae much? My daughter knows his girl friend.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Great stuff mate. Great report.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Great stuff mate. Great report.
    There is a bit more to add so I will probably do that tomorrow evening.

5. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Thank you for the update.

Did you talk to Macrae much? My daughter knows his girl friend.
    He sat opposite me and is a very nice guy. I didn't really talk to him more than just football. Congratulated him on his performance for Footscray on the weekend and wished him a speedy return to the seniors.

I was sitting right next to Lukas so it was easier to have a chat to him. Both boys though made everyone on the table part of their conversations. It was a good table of supporters including a couple of youngsters.

Post Thanks / Like

I was reading a Martin Flanagan article recently where he recalled a conversation he had with "Joffa". Joffa told him that players need to get ordinary jobs again, because they don't know how to talk to ordinary fans.

Seems like the club has made this a focus.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a couple of more notes I neglected to mention last night.

- Webb worked with Tom Couch (Son of Paul) to improve his fitness before the combine and improved his shuttle run performance substantially as a result.
    - Tom Boyd talked about how in the footy world many of the coaches and trainers move between clubs but the fact that this club has a long history is something he finds humbling.
    - 2 Players Sponsors achieved 25 years with the group and received awards. One of them also received a recorded message from Rohan Smith who was sponsored for 12 of those years. Smiths performance was particularly entertaining.
    - 2 or 3 more achieved 20 years and a whole host of other sponsors had 15, 10 and 5 years service acknowledgments.

More things will come to me.

9. Thanks bornadog, Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Likes soupman, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

GVG thanks for the update! Sounds like a cracking night!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    GVG thanks for the update! Sounds like a cracking night!
    I think the thing that struck me the most is the quality of our players particularly the social skills of our young list.
    You expect Dale Morris and Robert Murphy to impress you but Macrae, T. Boyd, Biggs, Webb, Jong, both Cordy's and others all come across as excellent young men and really we have to acknowledge what a great job our recruiting team have done to not only select exciting players with plenty of upside but youngsters that you would want to have in your family.

This hasn't always been the case but we seem to have the right mix and from a few discussions I had they seem to want to be a part of this club for the long term.

Webb was with Stevens doing something for the club when he received the call that he would be playing in Tas against the Hawks.
    Bevo organised someone (who's name escapes me) to tell Bailey Dale that he would make his debut against Freo.

There is just so much happening at the club it's great to get the chance to witness a small piece of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Just a couple of more notes I neglected to mention last night.

- Webb worked with Tom Couch (Son of Paul) to improve his fitness before the combine and improved his shuttle run performance substantially as a result.
    - Tom Boyd talked about how in the footy world many of the coaches and trainers move between clubs but the fact that this club has a long history is something he finds humbling.
    - 2 Players Sponsors achieved 25 years with the group and received awards. One of them also received a recorded message from Rohan Smith who was sponsored for 12 of those years. Smiths performance was particularly entertaining.
    - 2 or 3 more achieved 20 years and a whole host of other sponsors had 15, 10 and 5 years service acknowledgments.

More things will come to me.

Big ups to someone at the club who actually went to the trouble to find the record of sponsorships through the years

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Throughandthrough View Post
    Big ups to someone at the club who actually went to the trouble to find the record of sponsorships through the years

They do it every year. First year sponsors are acknowledged and then it's the 5, 10, 15, 20 and this year 25 year awards.
    Some of the sponsors and players form long friendships, one of the great ladies at the sponsors group went to Tim Walsh's 21st and 30th birthday parties. Loves him like a son. I think she has sponsored players for 19 years.

14. Likes Throughandthrough liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They do it every year. First year sponsors are acknowledged and then it's the 5, 10, 15, 20 and this year 25 year awards.
    Some of the sponsors and players form long friendships, one of the great ladies at the sponsors group went to Tim Walsh's 21st and 30th birthday parties. Loves him like a son. I think she has sponsored players for 19 years.
    You must be close to 10 years?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Did Tim end up as a firey after all?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Did Tim end up as a firey after all?
    Sure did and I think she mentioned he is a father.

18. Likes Twodogs, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    You must be close to 10 years?
    I think you get the 10 year acknowledgement in the 11th year so I will be due next year.

20. Thanks wimberga thanked for this post
    Likes Twodogs, bornadog, Cyberdoggie, KT31 liked this post