Thanks Thanks:  188
Likes Likes:  119
Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pre-season Training 2018

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Key defence is one area where we have some decent coverage. Let's hope someone takes this opportunity to fill some very large boots.
    While Cordy seems the logical choice Naughton could be the player to take up the 3rd tall defenders spot but it depends on where the likes of Trengove and Adams play.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure one of the skiers at the Olympics competed with either a partially or completely torn ACL. The amount of muscular control and stability you need around your knee to ski without an ACL is insane, not to mention the mental strength to know your knee is literally hanging by a thread.

I'm not surprised that Dale is choosing to go down that route and I hope we get a quality half of a farewell season from him, for him.

Post Thanks / Like

Did anyone make it to the scratch match today?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

5. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Did anyone make it to the scratch match today?
    I had a look this morning will post a rough report tomorrow. It was difficult to distinguish some players with no numbers on backs. JJ (as a forward), Macrae, English and Adams among the stand outs I thought.

7. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I'm pretty sure one of the skiers at the Olympics competed with either a partially or completely torn ACL. The amount of muscular control and stability you need around your knee to ski without an ACL is insane, not to mention the mental strength to know your knee is literally hanging by a thread.

I'm not surprised that Dale is choosing to go down that route and I hope we get a quality half of a farewell season from him, for him.

Tess Coady was it? Pretty brave, I love how we call players who don't enjoy popping their head over the ball just to get it knocked off again "downhill skiers" as if downhill skiers were cowards.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Libba gets back to best in Dogs' intraclub hit-out

TOM Liberatore has given the strongest sign yet he could be returning to his brilliant best with a starring performance in the Western Bulldogs' match simulation session at Whitten Oval on Saturday morning.

In hot and blustery conditions, the 25-year-old started with a flurry of possessions in the opening period, with his renowned hands in close complemented by attacking run and carry.

The 2014 club best and fairest continued to find the footy and goal throughout the two-hour session, giving the sparse crowd of Bulldog faithful hope his indifferent form of 2017 is behind him.

Midfield counterpart Jack Macrae said he was delighted to see Liberatore back in fine form.

"'Libba" has been amazing all pre-season, he's such a weapon when he's hard at the footy, and we all know how capable he is when he's at his best" Macrae said.

"He's so good inside, and you don't want to nit-pick too much at him, but when (he adds spread from the contest), he going to be a pretty special player.

"We're really looking forward to seeing the best of 'Libba' this season."

Jason Johannisen could be set for more time forward this season, with the Norm Smith medallist kicking three goals and several points in an eye-catching performance.

Superstar midfielder Marcus Bontempelli cruised around in characteristic fashion, collecting plenty of the ball and finishing with two classy goals.

With Dale Morris to be sidelined with a knee injury for an indefinite period, draftee Aaron Naughton looks ready to debut after competing well against more seasoned teammates.

Key defender Marcus Adams looked solid in his return from two serious foot injuries in the past two seasons, moving well and setting up several forays forward with booming kicks.

Young key forwards Tom Boyd and Josh Schache were quiet in attack in difficult conditions for big men but were competitive when thrown into the ruck.

Toby McLean looks set for midfield time in 2018, with the former forward impressing with his energy around the contest and ball use when on the spread.

Mitch Honeychurch was carried from the field with a knee complaint, but after being assessed by medical staff, the defensive playmaker was cleared of injury.

Tory Dickson, Mitch Wallis, Jackson Trengove, Tom Campbell and Clay Smith were all managed and didn't take part in the hit-out but will be considered for next weekend's JLT Community Series match against Hawthorn in Ballarat.

Third-year key defender Kieran Collins and rookie recruit Billy Gowers also sat out the session.

LINK
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

10. Thanks bornadog, chef, Templeton31, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That is a classic Libba photo.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I was at the game with binoculars so was able to distinguish players fortunately.

The article posted by HotDog60 reflects some of my thoughts around the better players.

I would have had Macrae as my number one with his tackling a standout (as usual). Libba did have a fine game but I would've had Daniel and Maclean before him.

I thought Roughy was the dominant ruck with Boyd, English and Schache all having a turn in the middle and around the ground. Thought Toyd's ruck work better than his time as a forward, however the style of game played in fairly windy conditions, seen a lot of goals out the back.

Not only did JJ play well and forward in the hit out, but so did Easton Wood. Not sure if this was just to ensure suitable match ups around the ground as there were a few VFL players also running around (i.e. Monfries, Hayes, T-B, Greenwood, Dalgleish, Panayi, Bruhn (what a beautiful kick this guy is), Josh Wallis and I think a tall in Patullo NB no sign of Prudden). The article lists all the players who didn't partake but failed to mention Callum Porter as an absentee.

As I was following the actual play with the binoculars, I am not able to comment on any noticeable change in game plan/structures. I'll let others comment on what they might have seen.

Another player who impressed and possibly gaining confidence from his increased responsibilities, was Redpath who consistently presented as a hit up option. Some of his delivery let him down, but he wasn't the only 'senior' player to turn the ball over from time to time (pre-season rustiness?)

The Baileys enjoyed a good game (falling in love with Bailey Dale's game....) and I thought our two higher draft picks in Naughton and (Red) Richards showed they were not out of their depth - really liked Richards ability to get out of trouble (whereas it has been a criticism of Bailey Williams in the past who plays the same position/role).

Hunter enjoyed a lot of the ball early and got himself in wide positions to help out the BLUE team. Jong was impressive in the first half after his ACL, but I thought faded in the second half. Dalhaus would be really happy with his game - ran up and down the ground all day.

Dunks worked hard in the middle (they even ran Redpath thru there at some stages), and the centre square match ups were great competitions to watch after each goal. The Bont was real class in these situations, Macrae and Maclean hard as nails and Libba just scrapped and kept pushing the ball forward for his team (WHITES). Picken was mainly played forward and showed an improved impact versus 2017.

Crozier took a while to get into the game, but he, Biggs and Suckling all showed a bit (Biggs impressive with his run off half back while I thought Suckling worked harder than I have seen him before). Cordy was steady in defence.

Webb (midfield) had a much better game versus his AFLX showing as did Young across half back.

Honeychurch (I actually thought he did his ACL when he went down in the 3rd qtr - good to see he is ok per the article), NMM, Roarke and Fergus Greene all showed they could be handy after a few games in the VFL.

I liked Fletcher Roberts and Marcus Adams games as key defensive options for their respective teams with Roberts kicking out of defence a feature.

And a final word....gee it was good to see our men's team running around in the red, white and blue again after a 'quiet' off season!
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

Post Thanks / Like

BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report Smads57. I came into Whitten Oval after 10am I think. Could make out players but was a bit difficult obviously no numbers. Good to see them have a hit out now onto our first JLT series game next Saturday.

Good train ride in. From Flinders steet pretty much when I got there the Watergardens train to West Footscray was there so didn't wait too long.
    Last edited by Eastdog; 24-02-2018 at 07:33 PM.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

A few photos I took from the practice game/family day at Whitten Oval.

"Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Easty, I can see myself in your last shot standing on the wing looking thru my binoculars at the game. Clearly your pics must be of the last qtr action (as I was sitting in the first three qtrs).
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

17. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smads57 View Post
    Hi Easty, I can see myself in your last shot standing on the wing looking thru my binoculars at the game. Clearly your pics must be of the last qtr action (as I was sitting in the first three qtrs).
    Yes I think I came in after 10am as I left home with the train at around 9:15am.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

With senior spots up for grabs a week before things are ramped up a bit more at our JLT game in Ballarat against the Hawks, yesterdays intra club match was an important step forward for the playing group.

The club did the supporters no favor by not having numbers on the players and a team list provided for the fans (perhaps to make it harder for any outside watchers) but we had the classic White tops vs Blue tops encounter in blustery and difficulty conditions.

Just some random notes:

Johannisen is an eye catching player with all that hair and his move to the forward line was a real spark. 3 goals and at least 3 points but he also did a lot of quality defensive work as well

Bontempelli looks to be the fittest I've seen him and looks to be benefiting from an injury free pre-season. There were a couple of highlights including some work in the forward pocket that was eye catching plus he kicked a long goal from a set shot.

Liberatore is back with that hunger for the footy and a contest.

Boyd was far better in the ruck than up forward but the conditions didn't suit him and the delivery into the forward line was often average. Still we would be hoping that his marking improves. He looks very fit and strong

McLean was a quality performer yesterday, he is more of a genuine midfielder now and seems to have improved his endurance.

Jong was prominent early, plenty of run and I think he got a goal. It will be interesting to see during the JLT how fit he is.

English looked a alot better this week and kicked a goal

Dale showed some signs last year and based on yesterday he looks to be one of the bigger improvers.

Naughton and Richardsshould be in the mix for senior selection. Both impressed. Richards has a lot of poise with his kicking and Naughton is very good in a contest both in the air on on the ground.

I think Trengove missed yesterday due to some parental duties (that's what I was told but I'm not sure) Dickson was a runner. Collins and Clay Smith also missed, Campbell has a knee injury and Wallis was 'managed'
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"