Thanks Thanks:  211
Likes Likes:  133
Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Pre-Season

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2015 Pre-Season

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Thanks. Fits in with what I've heard and is a pretty interesting observation.

The more I hear, the more impressed I am with our new coach.

I'm impressed with the structure of the program. Even though the club didn't have a coach for the first few weeks of preseason, nobody seemed to miss a beat. Training was conducted, a couple of the assistants took the opportunity to step up and get their voice heard a bit more often than it normally would. The players worked their programmes. Everyone seemed to know where they should be and what they should be doing.

I was impressed.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

2. Likes Go_Dogs liked this post
    The Dog Father Guest

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post

There was one of our younger small-mid players who has a very blond page boy hairstyle. Wasn't sure if this was Caleb Daniel. If it was, then good that he wears the helmet. If it wasn't, someone do the kid a favour and encourage him to get a haircut. Perhaps it was Roarke Smith on second thoughts. Very fair complexion. Clarification on identity required.
    My understanding is that this is father son prospect Darcy McPherson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I'm impressed with the structure of the program. Even though the club didn't have a coach for the first few weeks of preseason, nobody seemed to miss a beat. Training was conducted, a couple of the assistants took the opportunity to step up and get their voice heard a bit more often than it normally would. The players worked their programmes. Everyone seemed to know where they should be and what they should be doing.

I was impressed.
    Had a report from a friend who is not a poster.

He remarked how professional training looked, being run with military precision, one drill after another.
    Saw this a major improvement on what he had seen for the last few years. Commented that it was a big plus for the new coach.Felt that all the players looked to be working very hard to adapt to a new game plan, which was seen as a faster moving game, with a high emphasis on skill, particularly by foot.

I probably should add that he was certainly not ever a Macca man.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

5. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog Father View Post
    My understanding is that this is father son prospect Darcy McPherson
    oh, well if he is a good prospect he can wear his hair anyway he likes.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

The Academy boys train after or on different days than the seniors. Lets see how good my memory is, West, Romero, Kellet, MacPherson, Smith, Liberatore were the six I saw a month or so ago doing drills.

From Melbourne, to London and now Perth WA
    Post Thanks / Like

The Academy boys train after or on different days than the seniors. Lets see how good my memory is, West, Romero, Kellet, MacPherson, Smith, Liberatore were the six I saw a month or so ago doing drills.
    Is there any insight on the qaulity of these potential F/S recruits? In particular Scott West's kids and Jose Romero's...

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, just wow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Sanchez View Post
    Is there any insight on the qaulity of these potential F/S recruits? In particular Scott West's kids and Jose Romero's...
    They're just a bunch of kids having a kick and doing some simple drills and contesting work. Romero is quite a bit taller than his dad , Smith is pretty solid, Liberatore is small, West could be his dad at that age, Macpherson is a bit like his dad but has bigger features and Kellet looks pretty accomplished.

Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff.

Regardless of whether they end up playing football for us, it's great for the kids and I'm sure something their families enjoy them being involved in too.

Post Thanks / Like

Training Report, Thursday, 15 Jan 2015. Again I was kid encumbered but this time she was prepared to hang around a bit more in one spot at a time.

I got there at 10.20am, in time for full ground match simulation. The players and the coaches gathered in the centre and had it all sorted in about 3 minutes in terms of who was on which team, positions, rule modifications, etc. I was again impressed with the level of organisation shown, there was lots of military precision.

The rules modifications were interesting. If a behind was scored, there was no kick out. Instead there was a ball up at HFF well outside the 50m arc so that team that had scored could try and attack the goals again. When a goal was scored the team who kicked it took the ball down to their defensive goal square and play restarted with them kicking in as if from a behind. The assistant coaches who umpired were red hot on holding the ball, so lots of frees were paid rather than ball ups. The players were encouraged to keep the ball moving from these stoppages. The point of the rules modifications appeared to be to encourage movement and anticipation.

Positions and match-ups (that I noticed): Minson (blue team) and Cordy, A (gold) were the starting rucks. Cordy looked ok. Roughead (blue) seemed to be playing CHB . Hamlet (blue) was deep on Boydosaur Jnr. Stringer (gold) was playing a deep forward role and turned on a couple of customary tricks for the fans who were watching. Biggs (blue) was playing HBF. Murphy (blue) was on the wing.

Ronnie Biggs and Lin Jong (blue) caught my attention quite a bit due to their high involvement (lots of possessions and ground covered). Biggs looks a decent kick too - nice long, penetrating drop punts to good positions. For the gold team, Mitch Wallis was covering heaps of territory - one end of the ground to the other with some very hard running. Of the new draftees, Caleb Daniel (gold) looked very at home. A nice mover who always looked ready to dispose of the ball in a blink, he was spinning on a bottle top a number of times taking advantage of his lower mass. Just like his highlights reel but in the flesh and sans helmet. He is nuggety enough that I could see him getting some senior game time in 2015 but probably not early in the season. At the other end of the scale Tom Boyd is indeed very, very big and moves beautifully for such a big bloke. It was interesting to see that when the ball came in high just about all of the defending team seemed to feel compelled to fly against him. If it goes like this during the season we will cream the crumbing goals.

I mentioned that Hamlet was on Boydosaur Jnr. As they don't come any bigger than Tom Boyd, it was an opportunity to assess the "Hammer" (as his obviously poorly-read team mates were calling him). My assessment was that while a Boyd sized forward would stretch him to his limits he was still competitive and basically looks ready to go as a KPB. He is not so lean that that is what you notice first about him, he is quite mobile and prepared to repeatedly break and run - which certainly gave Boyd something to concentrate on when the ball was being cleared.

At one stage, Beveridge came up to the grand stand to get a different perspective on proceedings. He was very cheerful and gave loud hellos to everyone who acknowledged him. Most of the time though he was on the boundary line with his clip board. He wasn't vocal but I did hear him yell out once, "wrong way, wrong way..." This occurred when the ball was being cleared from the back pocket and the receiving players around the centre all headed to the boundary and towards the player disposing of the ball. It was one of our typical numbers around the football scenarios and I wonder if the new coach was looking for more options to be presented, including some anticipation of the ball going longer because what actually happened was the ball cleared the congestion they contributed to.

Off the field, Tony Liberatore was watching in the stand and talking footy with a young man who looked very fit and rangy. I think this was Tom's younger brother.

Anyway got to sign off but this was what I saw this morning.
    Last edited by F'scary; 15-01-2015 at 01:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report, it's appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reports F'scary. Much appreciated. May head down to WO for the family day depends if I have anything on.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Great write up, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Thanks for the reports F'scary. Much appreciated. May head down to WO for the family day depends if I have anything on.
    Same here, Eastie - but I gotta get a leave ticket.

17. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    Same here, Eastie - but I gotta get a leave ticket.
    Thanks for the report today. Did Boydjnr get a kick? How was he moving?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.