Thanks Thanks:  211
Likes Likes:  133
Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Pre-Season

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2015 Pre-Season

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I hate the way they practise those kicks along the ground. Yes they can be used sometimes but they can also go horribly wrong.
    I hate them as well but there will be circumstances where it is the appropriate option in the circumstances. Would prefer to practise them in training rather than just attempt it in a game.

Love how Stringer and Boyd don't lean back with their kicking actions. Textbook technique. They'll fight out the goalkicking this year.

Post Thanks / Like

I hate the way they practise those kicks along the ground. Yes they can be used sometimes but they can also go horribly wrong.
    From in front or on not too acute an angle I agree, put the ball in the air. However from a tight angle you can kick with much greater accuracy along the ground than in the air (unless your name is Bontempelli). You see so many of these goals kicked now because they practice them at training.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    I hate them as well but there will be circumstances where it is the appropriate option in the circumstances. Would prefer to practise them in training rather than just attempt it in a game.

Love how Stringer and Boyd don't lean back with their kicking actions. Textbook technique. They'll fight out the goalkicking this year.
    Crameri not on the radar?

You would expect him to get his 37 odd goals again this year if he plays the full season, which means Stringer would have to improve on his 26 goals from last year, and Boyd only kicked 8 in 9 games in his only season.

I think Crameri and Stringer will be pretty close around the 40 mark, Boyd maybe 20-25.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    Crameri not on the radar?

You would expect him to get his 37 odd goals again this year if he plays the full season, which means Stringer would have to improve on his 26 goals from last year, and Boyd only kicked 8 in 9 games in his only season.

I think Crameri and Stringer will be pretty close around the 40 mark, Boyd maybe 20-25.
    Nice mix of goal kickers in there. If one of the small forwards can kick 30-35 and Dickson 25 then we should kick some big scores at least.

As Boyd increases his Tallies it's important to keep the totals up from the other players around him and not just rely on one player.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Boyd really looks like he is roosting the ball, very high action ala Sav Rocca
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

6. Likes F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Most of them were practicing them on their non-preferred foot. Hunter was the only one that didn't.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Stringers body use in marking contests is magic to watch.

Post Thanks / Like

Planning to head down to have a look tomorrow morning.
    W00F!

10. Thanks wimberga thanked for this post
    Likes Greystache liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Stringer & Boyd's kicking actions are notable - Stringer seems to be generating a lot of power in the leg now, while Boyd's action is so smooth for a 201cm player.
    I saw Boyd hoisting them at 2 practice sessions. Believe me, he kicks them and they don't come down. Sensational, uncomplicated kicking action from a set shot.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

12. Likes Twodogs, boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Some good interviews with Bevo on AFL website:
    http://www.afl.com.au/video/2015-02-...ts-in-the-ruck
    http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-02-1...e-crameri-call

He is speaking in a more assured manner than when first appointed. Pretty honest too e.g. our defence - style must change and/or personnel must change.

You can see from first title it looks like Tom Boyd will have stints elsewhere including the ruck. Hmmm - not sure about that at least in his early years, as predicting opp. rucks likely to really try & hurt him.

And I'd say based on second video Crameri will not play in NAB pre-season, consistent with article in The Age today.

14. Thanks Twodogs, bornadog, azabob thanked for this post
    Likes Remi Moses liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice interview with Luke and good call on Tom Boyd, as he is a blue chip investment .
    Going to get away from being dour( pleasing)

16. Likes The Doctor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting josie, good interview.
    I do however disagree with Bevo suggesting Boyd will play in the ruck, the risk is just to great.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

I went down for a look this morning. It wasn't an intense session at all - no running drills and no match practice - so from that perspective there wasn't a lot to take out of it. I'll head down next week again, but here's what I took away from it:

- Training is very structured with individualized groups (usually 3) rotating. The groups are taught by the assistant coaches, with Bev looking on. A group of players broke away after about an hour and headed inside, whilst Bev took on a more engaging role. He called them in after a couple of drills to explain before sending them back out.

- Today had a VERY strong emphasis on disposal by foot, leading and cutting off leads to spoil/mark the ball. A number of different passing drills included short stationary kicks, short kicks to targets on the move to space, kicks to leads and longer variations of these drills (30m and 40-50m). It was interesting; I haven't really seen us focus on this to such a degree in the past. A lot of targets were missed in the 20m short kicks to a target on the move - it really does highlight the fact that our skills are poor and need to drastically improve. Having said that, the skills did improve as they went on, but we were better over a longer distance - which is a bit strange.

-Also thought it was interesting that one drill included all players using their opposite foot. It was conducted within the square in the center of the ground. The drill would begin by players kicking with their right foot in an anti-clockwise direction, which would then switch after a while, requiring left foot passes in a clockwise direction. Most of the players were pretty adequate on their opposite foot, despite not being under pressure, but the tempo of the drill was good.

- They finished off with some goal kicking, but I liked how it was structured. A group would practice dribble shots from the boundary, then move on to a set shot about 35-40m out, then they'd move to the middle of the ground where they receive the ball on the run and take a shot. Then on the far side, they had more set shots, including a competition where if you missed the goal you had to roll on the ground from about the goal square to the 50m line. Funny stuff, with the boys trying to put each other off. Only about 4 players missed (Dahl, Minson, Dickson, Goodes).

- Those who didn't train at all included Morris, Prudden, Biggs, Boyd, Z Cordy. I didn't spot Hrovat or Roberts at all - may not have been there.

- Clay Smith was running prior to the main group getting out on the track. Only caught the end of it, but he looks in great condition. I really hope he can have a long career - so much to like.

- As mentioned above a whole group of players left the track after about an hour or so. I couldn't name them all but it included Murph, Bont and the draftees.

- Stringer looks really comfortable out there, as though he believes he's a senior player and one of the best at the club. Other players all seem to gravitate to him, he seems a really popular player. Physically he is in amazing condition. Definitely looks set for a very good year.

- Koby is a genuinely big, solid, fit midfielder. He has his flaws but I think he can have a good year. Seems to have taken on a more senior presence.

- Jong is becoming an exciting prospect. His acceleration is a little deceptive, but he simply cannot be caught. What most pleased me was his disposal by foot - it is much improved. Seems to have a better ball drop. I'm intrigued to see him play against AFL opposition.

- Cordy still can't mark, Dickson's disposal was poor, Pearce's decision making average-ish and Kelly fumbled once or twice.

- Roughy was moving well, Talia looked good and Campbell looks more mobile.

- Honeychurch looks fit and makes good decisions with the ball in hand. Daniel is a very neat player - you feel safe when he has the ball in his hands - and off limited viewing I like Roarke Smith, he looks quick, agile with a solid left foot.

- Crameri was moving pretty well and looks fit and strong. Goodes looks noticeably fitter too.

That's about it. Feel free to shoot any questions, but as I said, it wasn't a session that I could take a lot out of given there was no fitness/running component or mach simulation.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you TBB. Was Minson out there and how does he look? Are the players leaner looking but stronger?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you TBB. Was Minson out there and how does he look? Are the players leaner looking but stronger?
    Minson looks fit and strong, but then again, he always does. He did manage to nail a left foot goal on the run from about 40-45m out which was something different. Regardless, I think he needs to be better managed this season - we cannot expect him to shoulder the ruck work week in and week out.

We're not a physically imposing side given we're so young, but a lot of them do look lean and strong - players such as Darley and Honeychurch included. I'm confident the younger guys will fill out well - Zaine a prime example. He's obviously very raw from a physical perspective, but as he walked past on the boundary you could see he has a different frame to his brother.

The likes of Stevens, Stringer, Bonti, Macrae, Libba, Wallis, Jong, Crameri, Minson, Campbell, Talia, Roughead, Morris, Boydy, C Smith, Wood, Dickson, Picken and Redpath are all looking like senior bodies.
    W00F!

21. Thanks bornadog, F'scary, boydogs thanked for this post