Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Jason Akermanis tells GWS: I'm your man

JASON Akermanis has offered his unique set of skills to Greater Western Sydney, although it's an offer that seems to have fallen on deaf ears.

The former Brisbane and Western Bulldogs star, 34, has courted the AFL's general manager of game development David Matthews, GWS general manager of football operations Graeme Allan and GWS coach Kevin Sheedy without sparking any positive interest.

Matthews, his first point of contact, referred him to Allan, who has exchanged text messages with him.

Sheedy is yet to respond.

"I'm saying to them 'if you think those blokes (experienced quartet James McDonald, Luke Power, Dean Brogan and Chad Cornes) can do it, I can guarantee I'll do it just as well, if not better'," Akermanis told the Herald Sun.

"It's a very good match, that's all I'm saying. There's not a lot of losers, there's a lot of winners."

Akermanis, the 2001 Brownlow Medal winner whose AFL career ended with the Bulldogs in 2010, said he was perfectly suited to GWS's interests.

He played 12 games with various clubs in Victoria and Tasmania this year, including Glenorchy.

"I played some good footy this year."

In a message to Allan two weeks ago, he said: "Hi Gubby, I am still playing and in good condition. I am the best in the business for game-sense and promotion.

"Give me a ring if you want to talk serious about getting the biggest drawcard in the game."

Allan replied: "I will talk to the people concerned and come back to you."

To which Aker sent: "I thought you were 'the people concerned'? Let me know. You need bums on seats. Look no further."

Allan refused to get involved last night. "I'm not saying anything."

Sheedy received the same message.

Akermanis tried to force a response from the veteran coach at the Brownlow Medal function during his blue-carpet interviews before the count.

As Sheedy scurried past, Akermanis called: "Where's my contract?"

"I'd love to give it a crack. I haven't had the chance to finish my footy the way I'd like. If they're going to hire blokes who are 35 (McDonald) ... he's not going to play better or lead better (than I am).

"No offence to him, but no one knows who he is. What do you want in GWS in the first year? People to come and watch the games, on-field leadership, that's what you need.

"I've only had a year out of the game, a break can be a good thing. They're hiring blokes that can't play, here's one who can. I'm offering. Just make a decision and say 'yay or nay'."

As entertaining as it might be, the answer, directly or indirectly, is going to be "nay".

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1226157578699

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jason Akermanis tells GWS: I'm your man

Sheedy maybe forming Dads Army but he is not stupid.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

This is beyond a joke, hey maybe Bernie Quinlan can ring them and ask to be picked up.
    More to the point, Aker is a joke who has no home and thinks he can still get bums on seats even in Sydney.

Post Thanks / Like

If he was a decent bloke you'd actually feel sorry for him, he's completely irrelevant 1 year out of football.

Anyone who saw him play local footy this year would know he really struggled to get a kick some days, and he's so slow he couldn't keep up with Daniel Cross.

Good to see he thinks the best approach is to talk himself up to the media and talk down everyone else. Is he completely incapable of learning.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    JASON Akermanis has offered his unique set of skills to Greater Western Sydney,

-------------------

"I'm saying to them 'if you think those blokes (experienced quartet James McDonald, Luke Power, Dean Brogan and Chad Cornes) can do it, I can guarantee I'll do it just as well, if not better'," Akermanis told the Herald Sun.
    -----------------

"I'd love to give it a crack. I haven't had the chance to finish my footy the way I'd like. If they're going to hire blokes who are 35 (McDonald) ... he's not going to play better or lead better (than I am).

"No offence to him, but no one knows who he is. What do you want in GWS in the first year? People to come and watch the games, on-field leadership, that's what you need.

"I've only had a year out of the game, a break can be a good thing. They're hiring blokes that can't play, here's one who can. I'm offering. Just make a decision and say 'yay or nay'."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1226157578699
    Aker just doesn't get it does he.

So in putting up his hand for a gig at GWS he slams the veterans they have recruited. I'm sure they will welcome him with open arms now.

Aker still thinks it's all about him and no one else. This really highlights what the guy is all about and just further vindicates our decision to get rid of him.

Post Thanks / Like

JASON Akermanis has offered his unique set of skills to Greater Western Sydney
    I laughed
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Aker just doesn't get it does he.

So in putting up his hand for a gig at GWS he slams the veterans they have recruited. I'm sure they will welcome him with open arms now.

Aker still thinks it's all about him and no one else. This really highlights what the guy is all about and just further vindicates our decision to get rid of him.
    I thought exactly the same Doc, just doesn't get it, does he?
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

So over this tool somebody please show him tapes of one A Lockett who came back after retiring and he was a CHAMPION!!!!
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. This brightened up my day!

Post Thanks / Like

Good to see the tosser being so desperate and no one wanting him.

Post Thanks / Like

I am feeling a bit sad for him actually. He is desperate to play and delusional as to his own worth. A bit tragic really.

Post Thanks / Like

I say let him play, then let's all sit back and watch as whatever fabric that has barely been formed in that club implode.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to make fun of this but I just find it so sad...what a sad way for a former game great to be acting. It seems like a hopeless cry for attention and relevance...

Post Thanks / Like

"I've only had a year out of the game.

It's closer to two. He played virtually no footy in 2010.

They're hiring blokes that can't play

He just doesnt understand the concept of 'team' does he? How does he think the "blokes who cant play" are going to welcome him onboard even he gets drafted by GWS?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Hackermanis is suffering from relevance deprivation