Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trade talk: club-by-club analysis

I don't think we should be seduced by fringe players.

They are generally on the fringe for a reason and those with an occasional game in top sides will look better than those getting games in poorer teams.

We need someone who will add something extra. That means someone filling a specific need who is unlikely to be a fringe player anywhere (Barry, Huddo etc) or someone who is ready to improve after 2 or 3 tears in the system.

Other than that we get game changers by finding and developing our own. Dahlhaus and Jones might develop into that and so might some of the other recent draftees.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    We have been reported to be interested in Farren Ray in the HS.

What would it take? I'd be slightly interested. He's a decent role player, but we wouldn't want him distributing the ball again.

Also, Toovey is on the move from Collingwood. Considering we need defenders - should we look at him, and what would he cost?
    Interesting wasn't it,

Ross Lyon found a way to use Ray in a far more constructive way, where he largely got the ball and handballed to guys behind him who set up the play. They rarely used him as a creative wingman.

He'd certainly come back a better player

Depends on the price and what he wants in salary

Will Toovey actually leave? - some heavy posturing on both sides it seems

Post Thanks / Like

I think fans are far too simplistic when dismissing fringe players. For me it comes down to the need for the role they can fill and especially about the price.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    Will Toovey actually leave? - some heavy posturing on both sides it seems
    He would be best 22 at most clubs in the competition - I'd have him at the Bulldogs in a heartbeat.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    He would be best 22 at most clubs in the competition - I'd have him at the Bulldogs in a heartbeat.
    I'd rather us look at run and carry offensive types. Not solid defensive players. At the right price he would be fine, but a club like Essendon are in big need of him meaning we will have to pay overs. No thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    I think fans are far too simplistic when dismissing fringe players. For me it comes down to the need for the role they can fill and especially about the price.
    Agree

Matthew Bate to Western Bulldogs

Farren Ray to Western Bulldogs

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1226163554972

I also heard that we were interested in Brock McLean - another hard and slow body

If we paid anything more than a 3rd round pick for Bate, and a 4th round pick for Ray I would be very disappointed

I wouldnt mind Bate in our forward line actually - he would add some experience, intensity and strength given Hall/Hahn's retirement and the fact that Jones and Panos and potentially Hill are still young and developing

Ray - if he comes super cheap (salary and pick) I wouldnt mind him back to play as a hard tag as mentoned above by another poster

Post Thanks / Like

Bate and McLean? Please no.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Bate and McLean? Please no.
    Not only are we reverting back to the 1954 jumper, our playing list is being moulded into one with 1954 style athletic attributes.

They are only rumours at this stage - I hope they remain that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    I know, lets get Franklin and delist Addison, will that improve it much?
    We might fluke an A grader in the draft. I highly doubt we will get one trading, especially trading for fringe players.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Rumours say Toovey wants 350K. Not sure he is worth that

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    We might fluke an A grader in the draft. I highly doubt we will get one trading, especially trading for fringe players.
    Trading a 3rd rounder for a player that may fit our needs (all be it not an A Grader) is not a bad thing.
    Highly unlikely to get an A grader with a 3rd round pick in a compromised draft.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dog House View Post
    Agree

Matthew Bate to Western Bulldogs

Farren Ray to Western Bulldogs

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1226163554972

I also heard that we were interested in Brock McLean - another hard and slow body

If we paid anything more than a 3rd round pick for Bate, and a 4th round pick for Ray I would be very disappointed

I wouldnt mind Bate in our forward line actually - he would add some experience, intensity and strength given Hall/Hahn's retirement and the fact that Jones and Panos and potentially Hill are still young and developing

Ray - if he comes super cheap (salary and pick) I wouldnt mind him back to play as a hard tag as mentoned above by another poster
    Someone is having a laugh here. This spud is on $400,000 at the blues and i wouldn't take him if Carlton offered to pay all of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Farren Ray???? Brock Mclean???Surely its a bad joke?????

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anfo27 View Post
    Someone is having a laugh here. This spud is on $400,000 at the blues and i wouldn't take him if Carlton offered to pay all of it.
    This. I'd pay for his fare back to Carlton.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    Trading a 3rd rounder for a player that may fit our needs (all be it not an A Grader) is not a bad thing.
    Highly unlikely to get an A grader with a 3rd round pick in a compromised draft.
    All well and good if a fringe player at another club that could do a role for us costs us only a 3rd rounder. Call me cynical I don't see that happening. We got screwed last year, nothing will change this year if we go down the same path.