Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trade talk: club-by-club analysis

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Maybe we should trade Morris as he's going to have an injury interrupted season next year too
    He possibly could come back worse off, who knows with those type of injuries but you know what, I'm 100% confident that Dale Morris will bust his arse and do absolutely everything possible to get back to his best and if he doesn't get there I'd give him another year to try again.

I don't have the same confidence in Lake nor the patience.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Lets get rid of anyone 28 to 30 years old like Richmond and Melbourne and see what happens then.

This post is not directed at you, its directed at plenty of posters.
    I understand what you are saying, but of all our 29 year olds, Lake probably has the most pull at the trade table. AA key backs are pretty hard to find and clubs might be willing to go that extra bit to secure the trade.

I would prefer Lake stay at the club purely because I love watching him play and as stated I think he will make us a better team, but I can understand why people are putting his name forward.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently we're interested in Tom Gillies from Geelong.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    God no, haven't we finished with the Geelong fringe player experiment yet?

Post Thanks / Like

He hasn't done much. I understand the need to look at acquiring a tall defender but if we are interested in Gillies then we must want to use early picks on running players.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He hasn't done much. I understand the need to look at acquiring a tall defender but if we are interested in Gillies then we must want to use early picks on running players.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not interested in Gillies, offers us nothing but depth for our depth players if they get called up. Just passing on what I've read.

Which of key backs or runners do you think is a more pressing need?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Don't get me wrong, I'm not interested in Gillies, offers us nothing but depth for our depth players if they get called up. Just passing on what I've read.

Key backs. Quality ones are rare.

I still believe the best strategy is to build a spine first. You can then 'add' a team around them. If you decide to try and pick up KPP's later, you throw yourself into a hole. It (probably) means you have a good midfield, and are able to beat 13-14 sides a year, but can't take that next step. It's then very difficult to secure KPP's as you don't have the earlier picks.

There's always a decent proportion of running players in every draft.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    God no, haven't we finished with the Geelong fringe player experiment yet?
    I don't mind pickng up fringe players so long as they fill a specific need and have untapped talent/upside. Carlton picked up a beauty from Geelong last year in Laidler.

Post Thanks / Like

I was aware that you were just reporting the reference in the paper.

We have many needs including a tall defender and a ruckman. If there is speculation we are looking to top up with someone like Gillies then I think that highlights we are placing a premium on getting running players early on.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

WESTERN BULLDOGS

HARD to know just how involved the Dogs will get.

Barry Hall is gone and Brian Lake has said he wants to remain.

But if another club came ultra-hard at Lake, would the Dogs release him given he probably only has three years left at most?

They are unlikely to win a flag in that period, so from a list-management strategy it wouldn't be the worst tactic.

Josh Hill will likely be traded or delisted, and Dylan Addison is crying out for more opportunities.

Sam Reid has been linked to GWS, but Christian Howard - raised as trade bait in The Age yesterday - ain't going anywhere.

He has shown encouraging form in the VFL and in small patches in the AFL, and the Dogs wouldn't be trading away a first-round pick.

The Dogs do need another tall forward given Jarrad Grant hasn't come on as he would have wanted.

They were mentioned as an interested party in the Jack Gunston discussion, but he wants to go to Hawthorn.

So is there anyone else out there to be a stop-gap until Liam Jones reaches his peak and Grant shows he will or won't make it?

The cupboard seems bare at the moment, but plenty more names will be flushed out in coming days.
    http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1226159465055
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    WESTERN BULLDOGS

HARD to know just how involved the Dogs will get.

Barry Hall is gone and Brian Lake has said he wants to remain.

The Dogs do need another tall forward given Jarrad Grant hasn't come on as he would have wanted.

They were mentioned as an interested party in the Jack Gunston discussion, but he wants to go to Hawthorn.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1226159465055
    Grant maybe used back ( I think I read that here somewhere in another thread) so Panos can have a shot at FF, also if Tom Hill can keep his body in one piece he may get a taste this year. We still have some options up forward but we now lack the big hard body, we may see our forward structure go back to when Johnson was playing FF.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I have not seen him play but can recall how he is a polular figure around the club. If McCartney rates him enough to want to pick him up, I am ok with that as he would know more than most if he could develop Tom into a regular senior player.

Post Thanks / Like

Why are people giving any credit whatsoever to the article in The Age? It was filler stuff from two blokes with no particular insights just throwing up some random thoughts. Had it been in the Herald sun it would have been dismissed after the first post.

For a team in need of pace and good disposal there is no way we would be looking to trade Howard.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Why are people giving any credit whatsoever to the article in The Age? It was filler stuff from two blokes with no particular insights just throwing up some random thoughts. Had it been in the Herald sun it would have been dismissed after the first post.

For a team in need of pace and good disposal there is no way we would be looking to trade Howard.
    Wouldn't call Howard pacy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Yet some posters have a go at Ward and Harbrow for not being loyal.
    Bingo - you can't expect loyalty if you're not prepared to show it.
    I dare say the Crows' strategy of never offering anything more than a 1 year deal for their players turning 30 doesn't help their retention rate, which is a massive problem this end of season.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers