Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AFL Pay dispute

Post Thanks / Like

AFL Pay dispute

My understanding is that the CBA ends this year. If that is the case how can the league continue to operate (drafts, trades, etc.) with such uncertainty and Im sure gaps with things like insurance?

In the US the seasons come to a halt when the CBA ends and their are disagreements, are we immune to that here?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Pay dispute

Probably immune - my employer's CBA ran out on 30 June this year and there still isn't anything in place.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I read somewhere that it is written in the CBA that when it expires but no new deal takes its place the terms of the CBA simply continue until it is terminated or a new deal eventuates.

Quite common in most contracts -- similar to a rental lease agreement I suppose.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Probably immune - my employer's CBA ran out on 30 June this year and there still isn't anything in place.
    Same, we're in the middle of industrial action. We've sorted out 'non-money' issues with Management but the Government is simply refusing to come to the table on pay.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Same, we're in the middle of industrial action. We've sorted out 'non-money' issues with Management but the Government is simply refusing to come to the table on pay.
    Yep, we get that all the time. I believe with most agreements in Aus (though I stand to be corrected), if new terms aren't reached by the expiry then the status quo remains.

WD54, how do you guys go with backpay etc when agreement is finally reached?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Yep, we get that all the time. I believe with most agreements in Aus (though I stand to be corrected), if new terms aren't reached by the expiry then the status quo remains.

Generally not an issue but we'll probably have a fight on our hands this time given its probably going to turn into a long, drawn out dispute.

Post Thanks / Like

good to know. It still is illogical to have a draft and trade period not knowing the $$ implications but I'm happy enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    good to know. It still is illogical to have a draft and trade period not knowing the $$ implications but I'm happy enough.
    It is strange and something I've been wondering is how have clubs gone about re-signing players towards the end of this season? Would clubs have assumed a level of increase above the current CBA for next year expecting a deal would get done before Oct 31 when contracts roll over or would they have either kept it at current levels or written clauses into the contracts regarding pay if the CBA changes?

Hope that all clubs have gone the latter two options as the salary cap consequences could potentially be crippling.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post

You're right. In enterprise agreements under the Fair Work Act (the AFL's agreement with the AFLPA does not come under that though), the expiry date is merely nominal. Its operation does not drop dead until there is a new agreement. The expiry date passing does trigger things like the potential for taking protected industrial action.

Regarding Nick's predicament, back pay as such can often be difficult to get out of government (i know at federal level there is a policy that back pay is not offered). Instead there is often a flat rate sign on bonus offered to compensate for the period between the old agreement nominally expiring and the new one commencing, but it is a blunt instrument which doesn't take account for the varying levels of earnings and usually does not fully cover the shortfall (especially when you consider things like increaes on penalty rates and super that have been lost in the intervening time).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pembleton View Post
    Regarding Nick's predicament, back pay as such can often be difficult to get out of government (i know at federal level there is a policy that back pay is not offered). Instead there is often a flat rate sign on bonus offered to compensate for the period between the old agreement nominally expiring and the new one commencing, but it is a blunt instrument which doesn't take account for the varying levels of earnings and usually does not fully cover the shortfall (especially when you consider things like increaes on penalty rates and super that have been lost in the intervening time).
    As I said generally not an issue (wasn't last time around), but given how stubborn Baillieu and Ryan are being on money, watch this space.

Don't get me started on not being back-paid for overtime, penalty rates and allowances.

Post Thanks / Like

Every place I ever worked we got back pay and thats the railways, James Hardie, JAC paper or Avery Dennison as its now known and Woolworths, just finished Woolworths one now, waiting for backpay and I think its 14 weeks worth, free doggies membership
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Every place I ever worked we got back pay and thats the railways, James Hardie, JAC paper or Avery Dennison as its now known and Woolworths, just finished Woolworths one now, waiting for backpay and I think its 14 weeks worth, free doggies membership
    Find that hard to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    railways, James Hardie, JAC paper or Avery Dennison as its now known and Woolworths,
    Hope you are in demand and not a trouble making drifter who struggles to hold down a job.

Post Thanks / Like

Nah 10 years in the railways retrenched was a bookbinder, government privatised it.
    6 years at James Hardie, asbestos thingy , they did a runner, got retrenched.
    12 years at JAC, Avery took over , had factory in Elizabeth already so kept that open, closed us, you know price of living cheaper there etc, got retrenched.
    Now Woolies the last 3 years, never resigned from a job yet.

Sorry railways I turned up, was between 1980 and 1990, strong union in those days
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like the NAB cup will be the target for any potential industrial action.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1226159658952

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    It looks like the NAB cup will be the target for any potential industrial action.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1226159658952
    It looks more to me that Michael Warner has reached that conclusion on his own. Nothing quoted from either side, and a suggestion that 'some' players (a very loose term) see the NAB cup as the ideal vehicle.