WESTERN Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney has challenged his players to play "total footy".

In a stirring address at the club's best and fairest count on Friday night, McCartney promised a hard edge at the Whitten Oval.

"I think we'd like to be respected. I'd think we'd like to be admired and I think we'd like to be a little bit feared for how we play and how ruthless we are in the way we go about our business," he said.

"When opposition clubs play us they know they've got to prepare well ... to handle what we throw at them - and we will call that total footy.

"We hope to be good at all areas of the game and have people who can play their position really well ... who are big, strong ruthless animals who play to win.

"I'm quite serious about that. I'm deadly serious."

McCartney, who last month won a three-year contract to replace Rodney Eade, met the playing group for the first time on Friday morning, leaving them in no doubt about his philosophies.

The words ruthless and selfless were constants in his message. He said he was passionate about developing the young players and making it hard for the opposition.

"Playing the right way is tough, uncompromising footy around the footy ... a style of play where we can move the ball and, as importantly, work to get the ball back," he said.

"It will take a while to fix up one or two of those areas and I'm really looking forward to having a crack at it."

He also wanted to embrace past players and develop the current players to help them become coaches at the club and remain part of the "Bulldog family".

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1226162009376