Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Let them fear Western Bulldogs - new coach Brendan McCartney

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    All I'm hearing is a lot of rhetoric
    What do you want him to do?
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gogriff View Post
    What do you want him to do?
    Right now there's nothing for him to do.

But the only cliche I haven't heard him use is "we won't be accepting mediocrity"

Post Thanks / Like

"We hope to be good at all areas of the game and have people who can play their position really well ... who are big, strong ruthless animals who play to win.

If he can develop Grant, Higgins, Williams, Hill (erm) Roughead, Cordy, Howard etc into big, strong, ruthless animals then we will have found a great coach

The above mentioned are those at times who lack intensity, aggression, ruthlessness & strength..

If I think about back to '97 - Wallace did the same thing- he made the Dogs the team that opposition teams didn't want to play, due to our aggression at the football and at the man- granted in our team then we had the likes of Dent, Southern, Dimma, Romero, Wynd, Libba senior, Grant, M West, Kretiuk, Kolyniuk who were all a bunch of hard arses in the mould that McCartney wants to develop....
    Last edited by BulldogBelle; 09-10-2011 at 07:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I mostly agree with Sockeye here. Not much he do at the moment but I've heard this all before. I hope Macca is the coach who can deliver though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    Right now there's nothing for him to do.

But the only cliche I haven't heard him use is "we won't be accepting mediocrity"
    What would you prefer he say? I think that was the question.

Back to basics for the Dogs by the sounds of things.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by theimmortalmike View Post
    I mostly agree with Sockeye here. Not much he do at the moment but I've heard this all before. I hope Macca is the coach who can deliver though.
    Can you please tell me what you were wanting him to do or what else he could do?
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that the words are just that, but also that we can't expect anything else of him ATM. I'll reserve my call until he's actually done something there.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Total Footy- can it be a Bulldogs TM?
    No.....the concept of total football came from the johann Croyff led Dutch team of the 70's

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    I agree that the words are just that, but also that we can't expect anything else of him ATM. I'll reserve my call until he's actually done something there.
    Pretty much my thoughts. I certainly hope that everything goes to plan in 2012 but I have serious doubts that we're headed back to the top 8 next year. All I'm hoping for would be a nice transitional year and then a big push in 2013.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    No.....the concept of total football came from the johann Croyff led Dutch team of the 70's
    Damn! Can it be a Bulldog philosophy come real?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    I saw that quote and thought we'd hear from you Fredi

What was Total Football about? Was it about as BMac seems to be interpreting for our purposes as being excellent at every element of the game?

Or did it just end up being spin from coaches?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Can you please tell me what you were wanting him to do or what else he could do?
    Nothing apart from what he is doing (I'd like a couple less cliche' answers but otherwise not much). I'm taking a wait and see approach as we've been burnt by big promises and tough talk before (Peter Rhode). Is there something wrong with that?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by theimmortalmike View Post
    Nothing apart from what he is doing (I'd like a couple less cliche' answers but otherwise not much). I'm taking a wait and see approach as we've been burnt by big promises and tough talk before (Peter Rhode). Is there something wrong with that?
    Well your saying he is all words then your saying there is nothing else he could do.
    So in affect your having a go at the bloke but then agreeing with what he is doing?
    Your taking a wait and see approach ?
    No your not your saying he is all words at the moment.
    A wait and see approach would be no comment until you see.
    Critisizing hiim being all talk, no one knows until the seasons in progress but most agree the things he says we lack is true.
    You cant ask for more than a coach at this stage to recognize the weaknesses and he has been honest and said what he thinks they are.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Pretty much my thoughts. I certainly hope that everything goes to plan in 2012 but I have serious doubts that we're headed back to the top 8 next year. All I'm hoping for would be a nice transitional year and then a big push in 2013.
    I actually think we will be worse in 2013 than we are in 2012.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I actually think we will be worse in 2013 than we are in 2012.
    Tend to agree. It takes time for a new coach to implement his game style and phisophies to a playing group that has old habits in their game. Ross lyon went backwards in year 1, likewise Clarko really struggled early as well. And our playing group certainly has some old habits that will take time to shake off. For mine, 2012 is unimportant from a results perspective, so long as there is a uniformity and consistency in our game style that has all players on the same page I'll be content.