Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney to sound out Dean Laidley for Whitten Oval r

DEAN Laidley has been linked to the Western Bulldogs as the club sets about filling its remaining assistant coaching slot.

Although the interest is only preliminary, it is believed the Dogs will talk to former North Melbourne coach Laidley about a senior back-up role in coming days.

He is a highly-rated tactician who worked with Port Adelaide last season and remains available as the assistant coaching merry-go-round revolves at record pace.

It is understood the Dogs are also well advanced with several other candidates as new head coach Brendan McCartney builds a new-look team.

Laidley - nicknamed "Junk Yard Dog" during his playing days at North - also would be an obvious candidate to join St Kilda in a key support role if Scott Watters wins the Saints job. St Kilda is expected to name its new coach next week.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

Only Brett Montgomery remains at Whitten Oval from this year's coaching panel, with Rodney Eade, Peter Dean and Paul Williams gone.

Montgomery is expected to have an expanded role under McCartney and has been joined by former North Melbourne premiership player and Bendigo Bombers VFL coach Shannon Grant.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1226163345878

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney to sound out Dean Laidley for Whitten Ov

I like the thought of Laidley as an assistant. He was regarded as tactically astute and despite McCartney's age he is still a first time senior coach. Having a former senior coach next to him should be a help.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney to sound out Dean Laidley for Whitten Ov

StevoHeraldSun Mark Stevens
    Laidley left Bali with coaching future in mind. Will talk to Dogs as early as today. One other club also believed to be keen.

from Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    StevoHeraldSun Mark Stevens
    Laidley left Bali with coaching future in mind. Will talk to Dogs as early as today. One other club also believed to be keen.

from Twitter
    Was involved in a brawl in a bar.

Post Thanks / Like

Got glassed and his son got a broken jaw according to SEN

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know why people go there. I'll never set foot in that country.

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto - I go overseas to avoid being surroudned by drunken Aussies
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Paul Licuria had meeting/lunch with Simon Garlic today, may or may not have something to do with vacnt assistant role.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a wrong place wrong time scenario for Laidley and his family.
    Agree with above, Bali has not interest for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Sure. Judge an entire country, an archipalago of 17508 islands, based on one tourist strip.

And hey, the worst problems they have in Bali are caused by us, why blame Indonesians?
    Kuta is the place to avoid, but the rest of the island is fascinating.
    Anyway, So just because Kings Cross can be nasty or King street, you suggest people stay away from Australia?
    Kuta is Kuta, not an entire country.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Sure. Judge an entire country, an archipalago of 17508 islands, based on one tourist strip.

And hey, the worst problems they have in Bali are caused by us, why blame Indonesians?
    Kuta is the place to avoid, but the rest of the island is fascinating.
    Anyway, So just because Kings Cross can be nasty or King street, you suggest people stay away from Australia?
    Kuta is Kuta, not an entire country.
    This. Kuta IS a hole though...

There are some incredibly lovely parts of Bali away from the obvious areas (which is of course how it became such a successful holiday destination in the first place** -- I remember going there a few decades ago and it was a very, very different place then -- and ironically led to it becoming as crowded and touristy as it is; a catch-22 lots of places fall into unwittingly), and Indonesian food can be freaking amazing, but if you're looking for a quiet tropical holiday, I think there are better options -- even in other parts of Indonesia!

** Of course, the regional government self-consciously and deliberately markets 'Bali' as a holiday destination targeted at Aussies when it became clear how many of us were going over, and tourism revenue is Bali's no.1 product today (with Kuta an indispendable part of that 'brand'), so they're not complaining that we've taken over.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OldBulldog View Post
    Paul Licuria had meeting/lunch with Simon Garlic today, may or may not have something to do with vacnt assistant role.
    Paul Licuria is a quality person and highly regarded by Collingwood. Would be a good get for the WB.

Post Thanks / Like

The country is barbaric with their idea of justice.

Shappelle Corby may very well have been guilty but no-one will ever know. When the judge says, "I've had 500 druggies appear before me and no-one's ever got off yet" you know a fair trial is straight out the window.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    The country is barbaric with their idea of justice.

Shappelle Corby may very well have been guilty but no-one will ever know. When the judge says, "I've had 500 druggies appear before me and no-one's ever got off yet" you know a fair trial is straight out the window.
    No arguments from me there.

I did one of my international relations theses on the problems of comparative interpretations of the law in respect to international justice, and went out for a while with the first ever French translator at the Hague international criminal court, so these issues are close to my heart.

However, I'll just say that you may be surprised how barbaric some so-called developed countries are with their idea of justice also, especially in the name of 'national interest'. Also, the leniency or otherwise of various national illicit drug laws are notoriously tricky, with very, very coherent arguments on both sides. Granted, these issues are complex, but the Indonesians don't have a monopoly on hypocrisy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    Paul Licuria is a quality person and highly regarded by Collingwood. Would be a good get for the WB.
    He is vain and a show off, but that certainly doesn't detract from his ability to coach.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.