Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney to sound out Dean Laidley for Whitten Ov

What does Bali and Chapelle Corby have to do with Brendan McCartney's assistants or football in general?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney to sound out Dean Laidley for Whitten Ov

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    What does Bali and Chapelle Corby have to do with Brendan McCartney's assistants or football in general?
    Bali has something to do with Jason McCartney who has the same surname as Brendan McCartney.

Post Thanks / Like

My only concern with Laidley is that I dont see him as having a set philosophy on the game. At Collingwood he was the opposition analyst and when he was at North they would completely change styles in the space of 2 or 3 weeks to counter certain opponents. It got him some good wins but its not very sustainable (think Terry Wallace in his later stages with us). Its not as big an issue when he is an assistant but its a concern all the same. It could actually be a good thing to have someone so good at picking oppositions apart if McCartney can filter it well enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what this has to do with the thread title, but IMO we need to be careful not to tar an entire country with the "It's a hole" brush, nor infer that there's only one country in the world with suspect legal systems.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Are we trying to corner the market for Bogan assistants?
    Is Fev next?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    My only concern with Laidley is that I dont see him as having a set philosophy on the game. At Collingwood he was the opposition analyst and when he was at North they would completely change styles in the space of 2 or 3 weeks to counter certain opponents. It got him some good wins but its not very sustainable (think Terry Wallace in his later stages with us). Its not as big an issue when he is an assistant but its a concern all the same. It could actually be a good thing to have someone so good at picking oppositions apart if McCartney can filter it well enough.
    I found this post very interesting & would like to see other posters' views on this.
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Post deleted greystache.
    Last edited by LostDoggy; 12-10-2011 at 11:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marcov View Post
    I love the fact we have nearly completely reshuffled our coaching panel and Laidley could be a very good fit considering his experience.

I had been planning a bali holiday for the family in 2 years time but there have been just too many incidents, we will be going to Vietnam or maybe Thailand. (seeing as this thread is about Laidley and he is headline news for th eBali incident I think this is a relevant discussion.)
    This is a football forum, if people want to discuss holiday destination preferences then start a thread in the entertainment forum.

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28

Post Thanks / Like

Not a fan of laidley. I never thought he was that tactically astute from his time at North. If anything I thought the opposite. He may be a good get as support for B-Mac, but I'd prefer someone like Ayres in that role.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like Laidley has his choice of being the 2IC at St Kilda, or replacing Richardson or Watters at Carlton and Collingwood were they to be appointed head coach of the Saints

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Not a fan of laidley. I never thought he was that tactically astute from his time at North. If anything I thought the opposite. He may be a good get as support for B-Mac, but I'd prefer someone like Ayres in that role.
    I agree. I think it is high time we started looking in our own kennel! The Bulldogs have been too quick to dismiss its own in the past for example, Royal, Cameron, Liberatore and Hawkins. Geelong and Collingwood set the example of how to develop their own. You only need to look at the Cats recent support staff to get a handle on their approach. Similarly Malthouse has encouraged the likes of Guy McKenna and now Scott Watters in their coaching development.
    In the words of one of our former greats from the Bulldogs Team of the Century we should be looking at the likes of Scott West a 7 times best and fairest winner. We do not honor our former champions in the same way as a Buckley, Hird or Voss. West should be a great mentor and coach to the likes of our younger brigade such as Liberatore, Wallis, Tutt, Schofield and Veszpremi. Under the leadership of McCartney it should be a great combination.
    I would be interested in your thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

I've always rated Laidley. Thought he got a lot out of a pretty poor list to be honest.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree ^^. Lost a few senior players on his watch, badly burnt with the Hay Trade though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dazb View Post
    I've always rated Laidley. Thought he got a lot out of a pretty poor list to be honest.
    Spot on. To take that list with no money to a prelim final was a magic trick.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    I agree. I think it is high time we started looking in our own kennel! The Bulldogs have been too quick to dismiss its own in the past for example, Royal, Cameron, Liberatore and Hawkins. Geelong and Collingwood set the example of how to develop their own. You only need to look at the Cats recent support staff to get a handle on their approach. Similarly Malthouse has encouraged the likes of Guy McKenna and now Scott Watters in their coaching development.
    In the words of one of our former greats from the Bulldogs Team of the Century we should be looking at the likes of Scott West a 7 times best and fairest winner. We do not honor our former champions in the same way as a Buckley, Hird or Voss. West should be a great mentor and coach to the likes of our younger brigade such as Liberatore, Wallis, Tutt, Schofield and Veszpremi. Under the leadership of McCartney it should be a great combination.
    I would be interested in your thoughts?
    Disagree Royal and Cameron have worked at the club and Doug's been a skills coach.
    You pick the best man for the gig and not the most sentimental man for the job!
    We treat our ex players as well as other clubs and the facts are some don't leave on their own terms