Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who gets delisted?

It would not surprise me if the new coach tries Addison in that Enright style of half back.

Addison is similar in size and grunt, perhaps not as skilled. Never know what a new lease of life will give someone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    It would not surprise me if the new coach tries Addison in that Enright style of half back.

Addison is similar in size and grunt, perhaps not as skilled. Never know what a new lease of life will give someone.
    That is like comparing Mr Ed to Phar Lap.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    That is like comparing Mr Ed to Phar Lap.
    I wasn't making a direct comparison. it was the positional style.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefoid View Post
    Why too much? 5 picks goes to round 5 this year.

7 picks would go out to round 5 next year because we have two 1st rounders and 2 3rd rounders. And its a deeper draft.
    I don't think putting all our eggs in one basket is the way to go. As I stated there is a chance that more than 7 could go next year.

Further I could guarantee you we could find a better player than mulligan in the 5th round of any draft, or the 7th round or 100th.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    What position do you think he could fill?
    I agree it wasn't an Eade problem and a new coach might have different idea's but I struggle to find a position or than just a depth player for him.
    I've thought about that a bit and its not easy because he hasn't made any position his own yet clearly

He spent most of the year in the VFL as a small defender, but Im not convinced thats his spot. I think really he is an inside midfielder who we've been searching for another spot for because we have lots of them who we rate higher.

That said I think he probably has to set himself to take Callan Wards role midfield whilst also playing forward, which wont be easy with Libba and Wallis emerging, and hopefully Cooney coming back in, but I think its got to be Addisons plan.

I still believe that some of his issues are confidence related, and that the coaching staff need to find a way to get him playing with real belief. If you watch the final against Sydney in 2010 he actually kicks the ball beautifully, which is one of the most consistently leveled criticisms of him. When I watch him kick it just seems like a lack of confidence in where the ball should go, and that he needs to play more instinctively.

In another thread I'd wondered aloud whether he could have a Sam Lonergan like breakout year under a change of coach. Others felt that it wasn't a realistic comparison.

I dont know if its possible but the summer is the time for wondering isn't it?

Nobody would have suggested Markovic would have finished top 10 in our B&F last summer, and so whilst its easy to write guys off I'm hoping Addison can surprise us all. At least we know with Dylan it wont be through lack of effort.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    I've thought about that a bit and its not easy because he hasn't made any position his own yet clearly

He spent most of the year in the VFL as a small defender, but Im not convinced thats his spot. I think really he is an inside midfielder who we've been searching for another spot for because we have lots of them who we rate higher.

That said I think he probably has to set himself to take Callan Wards role midfield whilst also playing forward, which wont be easy with Libba and Wallis emerging, and hopefully Cooney coming back in, but I think its got to be Addisons plan.

I still believe that some of his issues are confidence related, and that the coaching staff need to find a way to get him playing with real belief. If you watch the final against Sydney in 2010 he actually kicks the ball beautifully, which is one of the most consistently leveled criticisms of him. When I watch him kick it just seems like a lack of confidence in where the ball should go, and that he needs to play more instinctively.

In another thread I'd wondered aloud whether he could have a Sam Lonergan like breakout year under a change of coach. Others felt that it wasn't a realistic comparison.

I dont know if its possible but the summer is the time for wondering isn't it?

Nobody would have suggested Markovic would have finished top 10 in our B&F last summer, and so whilst its easy to write guys off I'm hoping Addison can surprise us all. At least we know with Dylan it wont be through lack of effort.

Good point.
    Let's face it. In 2011, we could have swapped Dylan for Higgins, Grant, stack or plenty of others and had a similar or better result.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    I don't think putting all our eggs in one basket is the way to go. As I stated there is a chance that more than 7 could go next year.

Further I could guarantee you we could find a better player than mulligan in the 5th round of any draft, or the 7th round or 100th.

So if Minson + Roughead go down with injuries, and Cordy isnt deemed to be ready, could we be keeping Mulligan as a ruck backup? - given Prato may not be retained on the rookie list?

I have never seen him ruck, but being 199cms he would definately have the size to at least compete

I'd prefer to use Mulligan rather than but Jones or Williams as cannon fodder

Possibly he is being kept as a ruck backup, and not just a key defender backup...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dog House View Post
    [/B]

So if Minson + Roughead go down with injuries, and Cordy isnt deemed to be ready, could we be keeping Mulligan as a ruck backup? - given Prato may not be retained on the rookie list?

I have never seen him ruck, but being 199cms he would definately have the size to at least compete

Possibly he is being kept as a ruck backup, and not just a key defender backup...
    If he's only there as a backup ruck we should delist him and draft Currie from the Swans. At least he's a real ruckman.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post

Some good points here.

I think you are right that Addison's game has been affected by his confidence, however i think it's been more that his all round game hasn't shown a lot of improvement throughout his career, and some injuries and negative roles he has had to play have also had an affect on his strengths and weaknesses.

When we drafted him i thought his run and carry and general play was similar to perhaps Schofield's. Since then he has been molded into a defensive tagger or defender with little attacking flair. He was described as being pacey competitive onballer before being drafted.

Dylan is no longer this type of player. Watching him in the VFL GF is a good example, he plays behind the ball across defence and basically passes the ball sideways to someone else and then jogs forward into a position where he's not going to receive the ball back again. Rarely decides to take the game on and back himself, and that is quite likely confidence related but i think more so that he doesn't have the ability to do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    Some good points here.

I think you are right that Addison's game has been affected by his confidence, however i think it's been more that his all round game hasn't shown a lot of improvement throughout his career, and some injuries and negative roles he has had to play have also had an affect on his strengths and weaknesses.

When we drafted him i thought his run and carry and general play was similar to perhaps Schofield's. Since then he has been molded into a defensive tagger or defender with little attacking flair. He was described as being pacey competitive onballer before being drafted.

Dylan is no longer this type of player. Watching him in the VFL GF is a good example, he plays behind the ball across defence and basically passes the ball sideways to someone else and then jogs forward into a position where he's not going to receive the ball back again. Rarely decides to take the game on and back himself, and that is quite likely confidence related but i think more so that he doesn't have the ability to do it.
    His biggest problem is he loses his feet. Once you go to ground you're gone. And I doubt whether that can be taught.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dog House View Post
    [/B]

If we're so concerned about back up, Setanta O'Hailpin is a much better option. He's better a forward, defender and ruckman IMO.

By the way, I remember someone saying Mulligan was struggling in the ruck. That was when he was playing for Willi 2nd's. By the sound of it, he's a much worser ruckman then defender. That's bad.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't got it in front of me, but I am sure he was described as 'one of the big improvers this year" in the the final Bulldogs Magazine. If this is a genuine club view, then he was promoted to the senior list from a very, very low point. Looks like Lindsay Gaze (see GVRjr signature)and the Bulldogs coaching committee share a common view on the time given to big men before they are deemed not good enough.

Please don't shoot the messenger on this one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Before I Die View Post
    I haven't got it in front of me, but I am sure he was described as 'one of the big improvers this year" in the the final Bulldogs Magazine. If this is a genuine club view, then he was promoted to the senior list from a very, very low point. Looks like Lindsay Gaze (see GVRjr signature)and the Bulldogs coaching committee share a common view on the time given to big men before they are deemed not good enough.

I read it too and nearly choked on air.

Mulligan would get hammered in local leagues, let alone VFL/AFL.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Before I Die View Post

Does it say who was doing commenting for the write-ups?

Post Thanks / Like

Is Mulligan the victim of a bit of group-think here? Obviuosly the club sees something in him that the WOOF members don't.