Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who gets delisted?

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    After his 6 goal display against Richmond I thought it was strange that he was never played in that position again, especially since he was struggling down back.
    Pretty sure he played there the following week and copped the hard tag and was ineffective.
    I stand to be corrected though
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gohardorgohome View Post
    Hooper has kicked six goals in six games ( 1 per game) ....thats really about par for a small forward. Some doggies supporters rated Steve Kolynuik and he kicked 198 goals in 177 games (average 1.11 per game).

He is not a world beater. However he is only 20 and rated highly by some people I have met from Ballarat area. Worth one more year to prove himself.
    Goals per game isn't the issue as he has a knack of popping up and kicking a few... it's what else he brings to the table that's the concern.

And isn't it amazing that a Ballarat boy is highly rated by the locals.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    There are a few considerations in determining if we cut a bit deeper but with what we are faced with again in 12 months I don't think it's worth waiting another year.
    It is not where we start cutting that is the problem...it is how do you stop?

For me, there is really not much point in continuing with Addison, Moles, Skinner, Hooper, Mulligan or Prato...or, being really harsh - Gilbee.

I think Stack will survive, I think Moles will survive and I think (because he is contracted) that Hooper survives.
    Last edited by mjp; 18-10-2011 at 01:44 PM. Reason: missing a word!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    It is not where we start cutting that is the problem...it is how do you stop?

For me, there is really not much point in continuing with Addison, Moles, Skinner, Hooper, Mulligan or Prato...or, being really harsh - Gilbee.

I think Stack will survive, I think Moles will survive and I think (because he is contracted) that Hooper survives.
    It would be interesting to see what impact in dollars this would have if we cut this deeply, but as you say its what needs to happen.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Do we then go youth, or look at a Bower or Satanta or the like with a late pick.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

It's hard to find a spot for Hooper. Could he be reinvented as an extraction midfielder. He'd have to work on his endurance massively. Cons would be he'd join our elite in that area of average kicks.

As I said, hard to find anywhere else for him with Tutt, Wallis, Libba and Schoey coming along, DJ predominately playing his position and Moles already having the role just described.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M.R.M View Post
    It's hard to find a spot for Hooper. Could he be reinvented as an extraction midfielder. He'd have to work on his endurance massively. Cons would be he'd join our elite in that area of average kicks.

As I said, hard to find anywhere else for him with Tutt, Wallis, Libba and Schoey coming along, DJ predominately playing his position and Moles already having the role just described.
    Wasn't Hooper VicMetro captain out of the back pocket - fair chance i could be wrong. But why not try him along the lines Harbrow used to be played?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gohardorgohome View Post
    Hooper has kicked six goals in six games ( 1 per game) ....thats really about par for a small forward. Some doggies supporters rated Steve Kolynuik and he kicked 198 goals in 177 games (average 1.11 per game).

He is not a world beater. However he is only 20 and rated highly by some people I have met from Ballarat area. Worth one more year to prove himself.
    Hooper. Kolyniuk. Same sentence. No.

Post Thanks / Like

When I think of delistings I try to imagine whether I would look twice at some of our players if they were playing state league footy or at another team and were available for nothing.

Imagine Stack and Addison weren't on our list, would we even consider picking either one with our last selection? I would think not. If we wouldn't even look at them, let alone want them, why keep them on?

I have mentioned it on WOOF before but I would also let go of Moles. I know it's harsh but I don't really see what he offers us. At his best maybe some running depth but his role is also probably perfect for kids who can at the very least go close to producing the same.

I'd let go of Shaggy, Gilbee and Hopper as well if they weren't contracted. My point is, don't keep guys you don't actually want because there's too many of them. If you wouldn't draft them, delist them! (unless it's a rewarding loyalty thing).

Do we think Moles, Addison and/or Stack will get picked up? We can always just rookie them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Wasn't Hooper VicMetro captain out of the back pocket - fair chance i could be wrong. But why not try him along the lines Harbrow used to be played?
    Hooper doesn't have the same agility/lateral speed at Harbrow so would play more lockdown, and it seems Picken has been playing that role quite a bit.

He's actually quite quick over the 20m in a straight line; he basically has to find a way of making it as either a small forward (Dalhaus coming from nowhere last year makes this hard) or a hard running high forward type (a fit Sherman and/or Vez and/or Tutt make this difficult too) his opportunities are going to be limited. Realistically he's behind quite a few in the pecking order.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Any chance we can delist James Fantasia because he doesnt appear to be capable of negotiating deals during trade week.

After listening to his interview on SEN, he wasnt able to achieve any of the dealings he said they were aiming for.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Petergm View Post
    Any chance we can delist James Fantasia because he doesnt appear to be capable of negotiating deals during trade week.

After listening to his interview on SEN, he wasnt able to achieve any of the dealings he said they were aiming for.
    What deal in particular didn't he get through thats grabbed your attention?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Harbrow wasn't a great defender, did ok until his shoulders gave way, but he was quick (staright line speed is ok I guess), agile, creative and could run all day - Hooper doesn't do any of those all that well.

edit - Gazumped by Mofra.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Petergm View Post

Trading doesn't always work out perfectly. According to our coach before the draft week the aim was minimal changes so to that end it's roughly what we expected. We didn't have a lot of currency other than the Ward compensation pick and maybe our aim is to use that next year.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Hooper doesn't have the same agility/lateral speed at Harbrow so would play more lockdown, and it seems Picken has been playing that role quite a bit.

He's actually quite quick over the 20m in a straight line; he basically has to find a way of making it as either a small forward (Dalhaus coming from nowhere last year makes this hard) or a hard running high forward type (a fit Sherman and/or Vez and/or Tutt make this difficult too) his opportunities are going to be limited. Realistically he's behind quite a few in the pecking order.
    His best chance IMO is to try and go all out and be a contested ball winner.
    If you can get your hands first on the footy, you're in.
    With Boyd, Cross getting on, maybe he could be the new Libba?
    However, extremely doubtful at this stage. The games I went to, he looked pretty shakey and lacked confidence.
    Last edited by GVGjr; 18-10-2011 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Typo
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus