Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs set to pounce on super-draft

THE Western Bulldogs are thrilled to have been handed a third-round compensation selection for GWS-bound Sam Reid, and will activate it for next year's super-draft.

Bulldogs football manager James Fantasia yesterday revealed plans to plunder the 2012 national draft using the Reid pick and a first-round selection for losing GWS onballer Callan Ward.

It would give the club five selections in the first 50-odd picks in next year's draft, the perfect platform to continue rebuilding a list in transition.

"It was actually better than we anticipated," Fantasia said.

"We thought it would result in an end-of-Round-3 selection and now it's attached to our Round 3 pick.

"With the Round 1 concession pick it gives us two first-round draft picks and two third-round picks, and we are hoping to get another one or two to have a really solid crack in what is a super-draft."
    The Dogs will have to officially activate the compensation pick with the AFL early next year, with many clubs likely to use those compo selections in 2012 to maximise their worth.

New coach Brendan McCartney and the list management group are considering potential delistings, with quick utility Brennan Stack expected to be let go.

Livewire Luke Dahlhaus and Matthew Panos will likely be upgraded, with decisions to be made on the status of Jason Johannissen and Ed Barlow.

Andrew Hooper is contracted, while Dylan Addison should survive after his name was thrown up during the trade period.

In this year's draft the Dogs have four potential picks, but could hold one back for the pre-season draft, with picks 17, 39 and 49 all certain to be used.

All of Ben Hudson, Callan Ward, Barry Hall, Josh Hill and Reid have left the club, meaning it does not have to cut too deep into its list to satisfy AFL requirements for three draft selections.

The Dogs have already traded away the compensation pick allocated for the loss of Jarrod Harbrow in securing former Brisbane forward Justin Sherman.
    http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1226172372378
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs set to pounce on super-draft

Imagine if we hadn't pissed away our Harbrow pick?!?!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Western Bulldogs set to pounce on super-draft

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Thats right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Coming off 3 successive top 4 finishes and with all & sundry expecting us to challenge once again it was pretty much agreed by all that we had to add some pace to the team straight away.

In hindsight it's easy to make comments like you have after the arse fell out of the season, but at the time it was the right thing to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Sherman had a poor year by his standards last year, I'm not willing to close the book on him yet.
    Given Harbrow's less than glamourous year it's not a disaster.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Coming off 3 successive top 4 finishes and with all & sundry expecting us to challenge once again it was pretty much agreed by all that we had to add some pace to the team straight away.

In hindsight it's easy to make comments like you have after the arse fell out of the season, but at the time it was the right thing to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Sherman had a poor year by his standards last year, I'm not willing to close the book on him yet.
    Given Harbrow's less than glamourous year it's not a disaster.
    Agree we did the right thing under the circumstances. Until Sherman stuffed up with his inappropriate remarks, he was in the AFL top ten for score assists, so he was doing something right. I expect better things from him next year.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Brennan-Stack-might-go-go!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marcov View Post
    Brennan-Stack-might-go-go!
    Stack better than Hooper, Addison, Mulligan who seem like they will survive.

I would delist the lot and be done with it. North have $300k to pay out for Urghart and aren't worried about delisting him.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Stack better than Hooper, Addison, Mulligan who seem like they will survive.

I would delist the lot and be done with it. North have $300k to pay out for Urghart and aren't worried about delisting him.
    Perhaps this will put an end to how good Stack is. My bet with you (Stack wont play 50 AFL games) was always going to be a sure thing BAD

Post Thanks / Like

Why not delist one of Hooper and Mulligan and rookie them. Who else will take them?

In effect that would allow us to use pick 70 in the draft which is better than waiting for our 1st pick in the rookie draft. Not sure what our position is there but it will be long after pick 57 (our last pick in the ND at the moment) and following the PSD, GWS & other rookie selections ahead of us.

In a nutshell we advance up the order by around 30 picks i'd say.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't understand how or why Mulligan should be kept on, even as a rookie. Our 3 best tall defenders were out injured at the end of the year and he couldn't even get a game. I don't think he even qualifies as back up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    Perhaps this will put an end to how good Stack is. My bet with you (Stack wont play 50 AFL games) was always going to be a sure thing BAD
    Well maybe according to another thread he wants to go home and he is not delisted on ability

He has actually been homesick for a number of years with rumours he was heading back last year. I guess he has been in the system awhile, but he is not the worst on the list.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Why not delist one of Hooper and Mulligan and rookie them. Who else will take them?

In effect that would allow us to use pick 70 in the draft which is better than waiting for our 1st pick in the rookie draft. Not sure what our position is there but it will be long after pick 57 (our last pick in the ND at the moment) and following the PSD, GWS & other rookie selections ahead of us.

In a nutshell we advance up the order by around 30 picks i'd say.
    Spot on Doc. If North can do the same for Urquhart then we should look at that option for at least one of our guys
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    "It was actually better than we anticipated," Fantasia said.

"We thought it would result in an end-of-Round-3 selection and now it's attached to our Round 3 pick.
    someone correct me if i'm wrong but didn't we receive the lowest possible compo?
    I thought band 5 was the worst you could get?

hmmm
    My life is a very complicated drinking game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    Tighter odds than Black Caviar, I would have thought