Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs set to pounce on super-draft

I know a few on here like to blame Fantasy for every wrong but he's dead right that's better than we thought.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Spot on Doc. If North can do the same for Urquhart then we should look at that option for at least one of our guys
    Maybe we're holding onto them to delist next year? Saves money, and we load up on the super draft.

Otherwise, who else would we delist?

Hooper, Mulligan, Addison, Stack and Moles are next to no chance to be on our list after 2012 ... but I'm not sure who else could be in the firing line? Gilbee will retire, but that might be about it.

However - paying one out (Mulligan) is something I agree we should do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    I know a few on here like to blame Fantasy for every wrong but he's dead right that's better than we thought.
    I hope that our club knew that band 5 is the lowest of all the bands and is purely a 3rd round pick after your own. After all the AFL even released media statements just to make sure everyone knew.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Coming off 3 successive top 4 finishes and with all & sundry expecting us to challenge once again it was pretty much agreed by all that we had to add some pace to the team straight away.

In hindsight it's easy to make comments like you have after the arse fell out of the season, but at the time it was the right thing to do.
    I like Sherman but I hated trading away that pick. We essentially traded away pick 20 for him. Too high a price.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Why not delist one of Hooper and Mulligan and rookie them. Who else will take them?

In effect that would allow us to use pick 70 in the draft which is better than waiting for our 1st pick in the rookie draft. Not sure what our position is there but it will be long after pick 57 (our last pick in the ND at the moment) and following the PSD, GWS & other rookie selections ahead of us.

In a nutshell we advance up the order by around 30 picks i'd say.
    Brilliant post Doc

Cash them in for better picks now

If I'd been coach then Hooper would have been on a strict fitness, weigh in and skin folds plan and if he tests over before the final list lodgment day then I'd delist him with the option of re-rookie-ing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    I like Sherman but I hated trading away that pick. We essentially traded away pick 20 for him. Too high a price.
    Is it though?

Anything after about pick 15 generally seems hit or miss. Players like Everitt, Faulkner and even Higgins as those picks in the teens don't always work out. Top ten picks are worth their weight in gold, but after that I wouldn't hold a great deal of value to them. That's not to say you don't find gems afterwards - but I think Sherman for our comp pick was fair.

Sherman's 24/25? He could end up playing 150 games for the club, and he's a solid player too, so that's a win for us IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

"With the Round 1 concession pick it gives us two first-round draft picks and two third-round picks, and we are hoping to get another one or two to have a really solid crack in what is a super-draft."

I found this line the most interesting. This sounds like they intend to trade out some players next year and being a good draft these players are going to have to be good for clubs to part with a pick. The speculation begins.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    I hope that our club knew that band 5 is the lowest of all the bands and is purely a 3rd round pick after your own. After all the AFL even released media statements just to make sure everyone knew.
    This was my point, it just stood out to me like the proverbial dogs you know what, his statement about compensation being better than we expected when it is the lowest compo available.
    Please don't try and tar me with the Fantasia bashing brush, i have never commented on him before, the reason i highlighted his statement is because, for me at least, it makes him appear somewhat incompetent at his job to not know the situation there. Didn't the club even came out after it was agreed he would be released saying that they knew what the compo would be but were just waiting on the AFL to ratify it, it appears to me like they didn't have much idea about anything.
    My life is a very complicated drinking game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Is it though?

Anything after about pick 15 generally seems hit or miss. Players like Everitt, Faulkner and even Higgins as those picks in the teens don't always work out. Top ten picks are worth their weight in gold, but after that I wouldn't hold a great deal of value to them. That's not to say you don't find gems afterwards - but I think Sherman for our comp pick was fair.

Sherman's 24/25? He could end up playing 150 games for the club, and he's a solid player too, so that's a win for us IMO.
    Everitt and Higgins were both pick #11 in the 2005 & 2006 drafts. Surely you're not saying top 10 picks are gimmes but pick 11 onwards are a lottery?

Our record with first round picks is abysmal, perhaps only Richmond could rival us, but I don't think that's got anything to do with receiving picks too late in the draft, more so Scott Clayton's inability to get his selection right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Why not delist one of Hooper and Mulligan and rookie them.
    Why not delist Mulligan and forget we ever drafted him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Bum View Post
    This was my point, it just stood out to me like the proverbial dogs you know what, his statement about compensation being better than we expected when it is the lowest compo available.
    Please don't try and tar me with the Fantasia bashing brush, i have never commented on him before, the reason i highlighted his statement is because, for me at least, it makes him appear somewhat incompetent at his job to not know the situation there. Didn't the club even came out after it was agreed he would be released saying that they knew what the compo would be but were just waiting on the AFL to ratify it, it appears to me like they didn't have much idea about anything.
    At the end of the day I reckon the club would be happy to take anything for Sam.
    Yeah it's a bit of spin, but Huddo and Sam would have been delisted. With the supposed super draft gotta be happy with that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Everitt and Higgins were both pick #11 in the 2005 & 2006 drafts. Surely you're not saying top 10 picks are gimmes but pick 11 onwards are a lottery?

Our record with first round picks is abysmal, perhaps only Richmond could rival us, but I don't think that's got anything to do with receiving picks too late in the draft, more so Scott Clayton's inability to get his selection right.
    No, but it obviously highlights my point - doesn't it?

Draft picks are seriously overrated. Yes - you need to keep bringing in kids every year, but the deal for Sherman was fine. I'd still do that deal.

Brisbanes comments on the draft were interesting. They felt that with pick 12, they would be able to draft a quality player. However, with pick 16 (Fremantle's pick) it was a lottery.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    No, but it obviously highlights my point - doesn't it?

Draft picks are seriously overrated. Yes - you need to keep bringing in kids every year, but the deal for Sherman was fine. I'd still do that deal.

Brisbanes comments on the draft were interesting. They felt that with pick 12, they would be able to draft a quality player. However, with pick 16 (Fremantle's pick) it was a lottery.
    I totally agree, the perception that a first round pick (including a top 10) is a gimme is totally wrong. In fact, if we had have traded every first round pick in the last 10 years our list would be decidedly better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    I totally agree, the perception that a first round pick (including a top 10) is a gimme is totally wrong. In fact, if we had have traded every first round pick in the last 10 years our list would be decidedly better.
    I like it.

And since we do so well in the rookie draft, we should have traded all our first round picks in the last 5 years away for a borderline superstar and rookie draft picks.

What could we have landed for the J.Grant pick 5 in a trade I wonder? Or the two pick 11s? One can imagine building a pretty reasonable list trading first picks for youngish borderline stars every year (throwing in later pick upgrades as sweeteners), bolstered by good late picks and rookie selections. At least you know you're getting some guaranteed quality with your first pick instead of a pot luck as ours have been.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    What could we have landed for the J.Grant pick 5 in a trade I wonder?
    As some wise heads on here suggested at the time, we could have landed Josh Kennedy from Carlton and on-traded pick 5 to West Coke, who would have been very happy with picks 3 (from Carlton) and 5 as compensation for Judd.