Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
I like it.

And since we do so well in the rookie draft, we should have traded all our first round picks in the last 5 years away for a borderline superstar and rookie draft picks.

What could we have landed for the J.Grant pick 5 in a trade I wonder? Or the two pick 11s? One can imagine building a pretty reasonable list trading first picks for youngish borderline stars every year (throwing in later pick upgrades as sweeteners), bolstered by good late picks and rookie selections. At least you know you're getting some guaranteed quality with your first pick instead of a pot luck as ours have been.
This is actually a very interesting post.
Very interesting.

Of course there's a certain romance about drafting your own, and I'm certainly glad we got Cooney and Griffen. But thinking about what we could have got by trading the following picks (since 2000)

10 J. McMahon.
4 Tim Walsh,
4. Farren Ray,
6. Lochlan Veal (read J. Rawlings)
(still hurts to think what a disaster that whole draft was when you add pick 19 for Koops, a pick Freo used to get Mundy)
6. Tom Williams
11. Shaun Higgins
11. Andrejs Everitt
5. Jarrad Grant

Of course this is a complete hypothetical because you just don't know what clubs would have offered but it's an interesting philosophy to take on drafting as a whole.

I imagine a lot of good players could have been traded in if all those picks were put on the table at the time. And we were supposed to have a draft 'genius' in Clayton through all of this as well.