Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The Dog whisperer: Brendan McCartney

BRENDAN McCartney wasted no time making his first positional move.
    The new Western Bulldogs coach passed up the chance to take his predecessor Rodney Eade's chair, happily shifting about 15m further down the row of football staff offices.

It may be smaller, but the room vacated by departed defensive coach Peter Dean suited McCartney perfectly.

A large window overlooks the indoor warm-up area and gym, and McCartney can even peep out on to the oval when the main doors of the training centre are open.

"The players can see in, which is good," McCartney said.

"There are times when the door has to be shut for a reason, but staff and the players have to have access to the senior coach and all the coaches.

"Interaction is so important ... the conversations you have about planning and reviewing stuff.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/su...-1226173560976
    Last edited by GVGjr; 22-10-2011 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Image added
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Dog whisperer: Brendan McCartney

Sounds like a number of players are going to have to reinvent themselves if they are going to continue to play seniors, Boyd, Higgins, Grant and Gia to name a few.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the boy's are in for one tough summer. Love it just what they need .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    Sounds like a number of players are going to have to reinvent themselves if they are going to continue to play seniors, Boyd, Higgins, Grant and Gia to name a few.
    At a guess I think every player will have to reinvent themselves. I'm told he has a major focus on development plans for each player. If you make the adjustments then great but if you don't a more serious discussion takes place.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

No idea whether McCartney will be a good or average coach but I like the fact that he seems intent on teaching the little things. Our positioning around contests and just doing the basics under pressure was horrendous under Eade. We didn't ever seem well drilled in those little areas. Thats not to say Eade wasn't very good in other areas though. I could be wrong and Eade may have spent countless hours preaching positioning, what to do in certain situations etc but either way the players certainly didn't adhere to it. Its something we need to get better at. Simple game based things that should be just habit cost us games this year when they were in the balance.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, I think Gia and Higgins are in for a big shock. Still not sure Gia is physically able to play that style of footy.

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    No idea whether McCartney will be a good or average coach but I like the fact that he seems intent on teaching the little things.
    Yep same, loved all his interviews so far and really looking forward to seeing how this journey goes.

Post Thanks / Like

"You only get that consistency when everyone in the team and the program buys into what I call the 'difficult' parts of the game."

At last we may get some consistency into how we set up at centre bounces and stoppages when we are under the pump. We have fallen away much too quickly in the past.

If we can get everyone playing like Bartel and Corey when they haven't got the ball, we will be well on the road to being as successful as Geelong.

The question is - how long will it take to get 30 players with the skills and attributes McCartney requires to carry out such a plan.

Post Thanks / Like

It'll be interesting to see his response the first time two senior players are standing in the middle of the ground pointing at each other while their opponents stream inside forward 50m under no pressure, because that's given me the shits the last few years. Also I'm hoping to never hear the "players didn't follow instructions" cop out without consequences the following week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    It'll be interesting to see his response the first time two senior players are standing in the middle of the ground pointing at each other while their opponents stream inside forward 50m under no pressure, because that's given me the shits the last few years. Also I'm hoping to never hear the "players didn't follow instructions" cop out without consequences the following week.
    What are you talking about?! There were consequences, they were given leadership roles, best and fairest votes, you name it!

Post Thanks / Like

I hope these interviews arent giving away too much to the opposition, they seem to be quite detailed in what Macca has planned.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Yep, I think Gia and Higgins are in for a big shock. Still not sure Gia is physically able to play that style of footy.
    What utter rubbish, sick of people having a go at Gia.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Not Sure how this thread became about Gia and Higgins. Not even mentioned in the article.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    Not Sure how this thread became about Gia and Higgins. Not even mentioned in the article.
    Amazing isn't it.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    ??? Having a go at Gia? He is one of my favourite players and I always stick up for him but I would question if he has the physical ability to be able to pull off what our new coach is suggesting. Gia is a player who has been able to use his strengths to his advantage in a major way but he has never been someone who has been able to put in 2nd and 3rd efforts at keeping the ball in our forward line and has never been a big tackler.

FWIW Im sick of people having a go at anyone who suggests anything at the club isn't picture perfect.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    ??? Having a go at Gia? He is one of my favourite players and I always stick up for him but I would question if he has the physical ability to be able to pull off what our new coach is suggesting. Gia is a player who has been able to use his strengths to his advantage in a major way but he has never been someone who has been able to put in 2nd and 3rd efforts at keeping the ball in our forward line and has never been a big tackler.

FWIW Im sick of people having a go at anyone who suggests anything at the club isn't picture perfect.
    Your making big assumptions about what the coach wants to do with Gia and how he will perform to the coaches expectations.

The point is Gia has proven he is a very good player yet his name comes up constantly when posters want to bag a player.