Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Dog whisperer: Brendan McCartney

Little tough on Gia . Thought he was pretty good last year, and let's face it not every footballer is Glenn Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    What utter rubbish, sick of people having a go at Gia.
    TOTALLY AGREE! These people make me so bloody angry Wouldn't have the guts to say it to his face I bet !!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Yep, I think Gia and Higgins are in for a big shock. Still not sure Gia is physically able to play that style of footy.
    Higgins definately - he likes to use the ball in space, although he was an inside mid as a junior so I think he'll be fine.
    Gia is possibly our best ball user under pressure so gamestyle will probably suit him - his issue will be defensive pressure in the F50. Possibly spend more time in the midfield?

I wonder if pure outside players like Sherman & Tutt will be made to make major changes?

Jones & Dalhaus' defensive pressure in the F50 appear like they could be early coach favourites.

Have to admit that although the proof is in the pudding, McCartney seems to be saying all the right things.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I've got to admit that this article was much better than the previous cliche-laden one. I hope he can walk the walk now as it were.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting part for me was hearing that Higgins father was crazy hard at the pill. If Shuan can bring this to his game he could yet be the star he has at times looked like. No more sitting on the ground after a contest holding his head, leg,arm,back etc etc.

Post Thanks / Like

The thing I like about what I'm reading so far, is that an emphasis will be placed on all the areas we struggled under Eade. Defensive game, positioning, handling pressure etc.

Eade had some major flaws and was unable to adapt a new game plan. I think McCartney can trump him in this area, but as others have said - proof will be in the pudding.

Post Thanks / Like

Positive comments, good to hear, but still a wait and see. Tough pre-season, areas to work on...nothing that hasn't been said before. True to form, I'm not going to get too excited just yet.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just excited to see how Brendan can shape our team and develop our youngsters

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    What utter rubbish, sick of people having a go at Gia.
    Take a chill pill. I named a few players who will have to reinvent themselves and you pluck Gia as being the only one who was hard done by my comments.
    I went through our team and highlighted those that do not have a strong focus on their defensive side, sure I may have missed Vespa and one or two others.
    That's what I took out of the article, whether you like it or not I am going to give my opinion anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

All great except for the fact the article mentions nothing about reinventing players or players lacking a defensive side.

Post Thanks / Like

I think this will come out in who he looks for in draft on if he is looking for footballers who have great work ethic and want to succeed.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    Take a chill pill. I named a few players who will have to reinvent themselves and you pluck Gia as being the only one who was hard done by my comments.
    I went through our team and highlighted those that do not have a strong focus on their defensive side, sure I may have missed Vespa and one or two others.
    That's what I took out of the article, whether you like it or not I am going to give my opinion anyway.
    Def going to be interesting to see who makes the grade.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    I gave my opinion as well.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    Interesting part for me was hearing that Higgins father was crazy hard at the pill. If Shuan can bring this to his game he could yet be the star he has at times looked like. No more sitting on the ground after a contest holding his head, leg,arm,back etc etc.
    Problem is he is a little fragile.

Hard to stay mentally tough when your body breaks down so often.

Imagine what goes through Tom Williams's head evertime he back into a pack.
    This is the toughest thing for those types of players, removing doubt and having the confidence in their body usually makes a big difference in a players ability.

I did my knee a couple of years back and everytime i play a sport where it looks like i might get some contact or i might fall awkwardly, something triggers in my mind about my knee or any other formally damaged parts of my body, that get's me thinking twice about my actions.

How does a footballer remove those thoughts from his mind everytime he has an opportunity to dive in or go the bump?

Once bitten twice shy.

Not sure if you can change that overnight.

Post Thanks / Like

Only one way. Hard work.