Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021

Thread: Pre-season

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pre-season

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    He played a lockdown role in the midfield, he had several opponents inc Cooney, Higgins and Boyd.
    poo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefoid View Post
    poo.
    Why? He's a tagger and a darn good one. Can't see another
    place for him beyond that (let's not go down the defensive forward road again). I say play him to his strength. Still a place in todays game for a hard as nails tagger. He beat some quality players including g ablett last year IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Superdog View Post
    Why? He's a tagger and a darn good one. Can't see another
    place for him beyond that (let's not go down the defensive forward road again). I say play him to his strength. Still a place in todays game for a hard as nails tagger. He beat some quality players including g ablett last year IMO.
    Just because I want him to play as a defensive-minded mid that still works our way when the ball is in dispute or we have it, rather than a hard tag. I dont really believe in the hard tag role.

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't seen this anywhere else on here, but according to the club's facebook there's a practice match on at Whitten Oval 9:30am Saturday.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Haven't seen this anywhere else on here, but according to the club's facebook there's a practice match on at Whitten Oval 9:30am Saturday.
    Yeah intra club.

Always good to see them all go at it against each other, occasionally you may even see a little dust up, hasn't been one for a few years though.

Sometimes it's the probably vs the possibles, but it usually just gets mixed up as the game goes on.

Always a highlight for me seeing the kids having a crack against the season players and seeing who impresses.

Also watching a game at Whitten oval is a bonus and you come home a winner either way.

Post Thanks / Like

Went along to training this morning. A very physical session with a lot of match simulation drills. Some key points...

- A number of players missing including C.Smith, Sherman as well as the majority who are playing with Williamstown tomorrow.

- Both Tutt and Gilbee trained and look unhampered by their previous injuries.

- Williams was running laps with his arm in a sling, which was surprising but good to see.

- Probably most exciting was that Dale Morris trained with the main group, doing the majority of the session and seeming to move pretty well. Was wearin a protective leg brace which hampered his kicking a little.

- With the match simulation, they isolated Jones up forward and used short kicks to work their way up the field before kicking it into space for Jones to mark the ball.

- Cooney and Lake both trained strongly.

- It was incredibly windy so skill level was difficult to gage as the ball was moving a mile in the air.

- As I said it was very physical with BMac every now and then getting the players to stop what they were doing and try and wrestle the nearest bloke to the ground before setting off again.

- The session was closed to the public, so BMac actually came over and asked us to move inside himself which was fine as it was bloody awful standing outside anyway and much more comfortable in the pound.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

It should be noted Slim that Montgomery actually told people to move on first which was met with little appreciation, then BMac followed up with a similar request presented in a much more people orientated fashion.

The new coach certainly seems to have a way with all types of people.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    It should be noted Slim that Montgomery actually told people to move on first which was met with little appreciation, then BMac followed up with a similar request presented in a much more people orientated fashion.

The new coach certainly seems to have a way with all types of people.
    I really like the way he speaks and presents himself, very impressive.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I really like the way he speaks and presents himself, very impressive.
    When I spoke with him at a function late last year, he was terrific. He's so level headed, respectful and takes a genuine interest in what you are saying. More of a "friend's dad", than a football coach, so to speak. He asked me a couple of questions which most people in his position wouldn't even think of asking, let alone care.

Hopefully we stick by him, I think we may have a year or two of some difficult times, but he's an intelligent man. It's not easy to find communicators who can have such a positive effect with people, either.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update sounds like we are going well. This weekend all the guys have some time off to rest before the season starts and so far we are looking better then I thought.

I think we are all loving Bmac. Top bloke by the sounds of things and every interview is just refreshing.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Pre-season

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    Went along to training this morning. A very physical session with a lot of match simulation drills. Some key points...

- A number of players missing including C.Smith, Sherman as well as the majority who are playing with Williamstown tomorrow.

- Williams was running laps with his arm in a sling, which was surprising but good to see.

- Probably most exciting was that Dale Morris trained with the main group, doing the majority of the session and seeming to move pretty well. Was wearin a protective leg brace which hampered his kicking a little.

- With the match simulation, they isolated Jones up forward and used short kicks to work their way up the field before kicking it into space for Jones to mark the ball.

- It was incredibly windy so skill level was difficult to gage as the ball was moving a mile in the air.

- As I said it was very physical with BMac every now and then getting the players to stop what they were doing and try and wrestle the nearest bloke to the ground before setting off again.

- The session was closed to the public, so BMac actually came over and asked us to move inside himself which was fine as it was bloody awful standing outside anyway and much more comfortable in the pound.
    Warmed the heart hearing Cooney training with the main group and strongly!! Appreciate the report slim. The 2nd half highlights from him at the stoppages and breaking away worked better for my sore eyes than eye drops

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post

top post, ta for info and for sharing story of being asked to use cone of silence by the coach.