Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

King at home among Dogs

Jon Pierik - The Age - 30 October

The four new coaches at The Western Bulldogs for season
    2012 - from left Steven King, head coach Brendan McCartney,
    Shannon Grant and Rohan Smith.

WHILE he has barely had time to fit out his office at Whitten Oval, new Western Bulldogs assistant coach Steven King has already turned his mind to what he can do to help the club return to the finals next season.

King, the former ruckman who played 240 matches with Geelong and St Kilda, opted against remaining as an assistant with the Saints under new coach Scott Watters to link with a familiar face in rookie Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney.

King, part of Geelong's 2007 premiership side, has a long history with McCartney, who helped shape the modern Cats dynasty that continues to this day. McCartney, at one stage, was the Cats' ruck coach, and helped King emerge as a club captain and No. 1 big man.

Article in full...
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: King at home among Dogs

Looks like Wil is finally getting a go at settling in.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

If King can help Will become a big physical dominant AFL ruckman he will be a godsend.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alexxx View Post
    If King can help Will become a big physical dominant AFL ruckman he will be a godsend.
    It ain't gonna happen, but he can become a better player more consistently. It's Will's time, Ayce and Roughie are no where near up to it yet.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    It ain't gonna happen, but he can become a better player more consistently. It's Will's time, Ayce and Roughie are no where near up to it yet.
    State your case. Why not?
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    State your case. Why not?
    Because he would have established himself by now if he was ever going to.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

I think (hope) Will can answer a lot of his critics next season. I really thought that he was going to have a big season this year but as we saw it didn't happen. I like Will and I hope McCartney and King can get the best out of him.
    I really like this coaching panel, not sure why though. Maybe it's just the fresh new faces. But I do like the fact we have a good insight to Geelong's game tactics and Stkilda's tactics, two dominant teams over the last 5 or so years, with McCartney and King. Do they have the cattle though???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    This.

Will has played 115 games now and is turning 27. I understand that Jamar didn't come on until he was the same age but he had played 30 games less than Will has now when he really started to show some signs. Big men take time but I cannot see Will being a dominant ruckman in the AFL.

I am hoping that some continuity will improve his output and make him very competitive for us for the next few years while Ayce/Roughie continue their slow development.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    This.

Will has played 115 games now and is turning 27. I understand that Jamar didn't come on until he was the same age but he had played 30 games less than Will has now when he really started to show some signs. Big men take time but I cannot see Will being a dominant ruckman in the AFL.

I am hoping that some continuity will improve his output and make him very competitive for us for the next few years while Ayce/Roughie continue their slow development.
    Chef / 1eye
    Agree, Will did not come along early in his career as we hoped. However, in recent times....
    Do you or do you not think Will was unlucky to miss out on senior selection in 2011?

If he had been offered as a trade, do you think he would have been picked up rather quickly? I suspect so. His size makes for a very hard match up. We'll get a fair bit out of him if he performs with some consistency.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Minson is a better player than he is given credit for.

He was too much like Hudson to have them both in the same team, without Hudson in the way, lets see how he goes.

Post Thanks / Like

You assume, but can't say

So let's toss up a few names of Big men / players who bloomed late...Leigh Brown, Podsiadly, Shane Mumford...
    Wills problem is he often doesn't play to his strengths.

Post Thanks / Like

So let's toss up a few names of Big men / players who bloomed late...Leigh Brown, Podsiadly, Shane Mumford...
    Has only just turned 25 and has been a very good player for the last two years, I don't think you should be comparing him to Will.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Wills problem is he often doesn't play to his strengths.
    What are his strengths?
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Has only just turned 25 and has been a very good player for the last two years, I don't think you should be comparing him to Will.
    Unlike Minson who is a has been at 26?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    Unlike Minson who is a has been at 26?
    To me Minson isn't a has been, he's a never was or will. But that's just my opinion and I would love nothing better than for him to make me look stupid.

But don't go comparing him to Mumford just because they have age(and that is it) in common. Mumford is arguably the best ruck in the league and has been a very good player from the time he started a the Cats.
    The curse is dead.