Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: King at home among Dogs

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    There's no doubt in my mind that Minson is, in how he plays, a more natural number one ruckman than a relieving second ruckman/resting forward.

Just thinking back through his career, I can't really remember a time when he was the first choice ruckman for a sustained period of time, with Darcy, Street and Hudson all playing that role ahead of him.
    It's a sad story that the MC feel that Street is before you as the No. 1 ruckman.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    If this is your opinion this is troubling. Huddo hadn't played a game of AFL when he was drafted to the Crows from Werribee as a 25 year old. Will has played 115 games of senior AFL footballer. Will has rucked a fair few times for us without Hudson with questionable results.My thought is that there is not a lot of improvement left in Will and he is just filling in a gap until (if) Roughead/Cordy can find some aggression and ruck for us one day.
    I disagree on the mixed results view. Will has generally done very well, but mostly got shunted forward to accommodate Hudson.

It's a sad story that the MC feel that Street is before you as the No. 1 ruckman.
    I think you will find that for a lot of the time when Street was No 1 ruck (2006), Minson was out of the side with a broken leg. He also had some injury issues in 2007.

Minson has played as No 1 ruck intermittently with generally good results. Perhaps the 2005 game against Brisbane showed he does have plenty to offer in the role.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

If this is your opinion this is troubling. Huddo hadn't played a game of AFL when he was drafted to the Crows from Werribee as a 25 year old. Will has played 115 games of senior AFL footballer. Will has rucked a fair few times for us without Hudson with questionable results.

My thought is that there is not a lot of improvement left in Will and he is just filling in a gap until (if) Roughead/Cordy can find some aggression and ruck for us one day.
    The year Street was our number 1 ruck was the year Minson had his chance at establishing himself in the position. It was 2007 IIRC. I remeber being excited because prior to that Minson had shown he was more than capable in the ruck, and has had periods of matches where he combined really well with our mid's at centre bounces (the Brisbane game in 2005 with Cooney is the best example of this).

In 2007 we played Adelaide and Richmond at the MCG early with Minson as our number 1 ruck, and he was atrocious. But it was for stupid reasons. Instead of focusing on using his body and good tapwork in those games, Minson pretty much just ran into the other ruck, barely watched the ball and gave away a lot of free's. I remember getting frustrated because it was stupid ruckwork, and it cost him his chance at the number 1 spot that year. I'm curious as to how much of that was to coaches instructions. Maybe to wear down the opposing ruck. But it didn't work to Minsons strengths at all and they were very dissapointing performances.

Since then he's never really been afforded a regular run in the ruck, either getting to play primarily as a forward or rucking for a 1-2 game stint before getting dropped. I'm hoping ith some continuity, and the incentive that he won't be dropped for Hudson when the latter is in average form can really improve him, because he has certainly shown signs of being a good, not great, ruckman.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Fair enough, but you've both highlighted the Brisbane game so one game certainly doesn't give me a lot of confidence to believe that Will has what it takes. I am a Minson fan and I like what he brings to the contest so I will leave it up to him to prove me wrong as the No. 1 ruckman for us in 2012.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.