Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Your best footy year ever

So which was your best year of AFL? ( some great footage below )

Brereton gives his account. Glad to see the Bulldogs 1.5 Million in 3 weeks effort rates a mention.

Bulldogs supporters rally for the club's survival

Footscray were on football's death row in 1989. With the league giving the club less than three weeks to raise $1.5m to stave of extinction, the supporters of the west rallied and fundraised. The Dogs' magnificent backs-to-the-wall effort is one of the proudest moments in club history.

http://www.bigpondsport.com/my-best-...5/default.aspx

You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Your best footy year ever

My favourite was 1985( the thrill of picking up finals tickets for the first time)
    My brother and a few mates were on the front of the Mail getting their tickets
    1989 was special for the tireless work and fierce determination for the club to survive.
    1997 was the only time I felt remotely confident the seas were parting and that elusive flag was ours!

Post Thanks / Like

1985 & 1997

Post Thanks / Like

Irene looks great with all her badges, in the clip.
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 01-11-2011 at 01:27 AM.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Like Remi & The Doc, 1985.

Just loved going to the footy knowing we were more likely to win than lose.

Beasley bringing up the ton in a final against North. Hardie starting it all off against Carlton in round 1. Polly in the ruck, Chocco out of the guts, Hawk unbeatable on the wing, Kennedy as tough as nails down back, Lelly Bamblett swooping like a chip on a seagull, Jock patrolling half forward & Magic loping up & down the ground.

Good days them!
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

1997 was great

Given the season we had in 1996 - with a coach being sacked midway through the season, and being plagued by injuries - it was refreshing to see a coach rejuvenat a team, and a team go from 2nd last to the prelim

Grant was in Brownlow form

The 3 amigos, Romero, Libba and Dimma were always hard at it

And with Smith, West, Grant, Ellis, Darcy and Johnson I remember we had the largest contingent in the Big V squad

We had a team of hard nuts like Mark West, Dent, Southern, Kretiuk and Kolyniuk

We were super fit, super tough and super skilled, and a great team to watch

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    1985 & 1997
    That year almost killed my Bulldog spirirt.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

For me the best year of afl is still to come, the year our mighty dogs finally win another flag.

Post Thanks / Like

For me, despite all the success that was had in '97, the prelim final loss and Granty's Brownlow robbery completely erase any good memories that could have been taken from that year. 2009 was the same. I felt like we were never a genuine chance in '08 and '10 so I can remember them in a better light, especially '08. But for me the best time as a supporter would have been the '05-'06 period - it was just so exciting watching all the kids mature and the brand of football we were playing was electrifying. That last 6 or so rounds of '05 were magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Like Remi & The Doc, 1985.

Just loved going to the footy knowing we were more likely to win than lose.

Beasley bringing up the ton in a final against North. Hardie starting it all off against Carlton in round 1. Polly in the ruck, Chocco out of the guts, Hawk unbeatable on the wing, Kennedy as tough as nails down back, Lelly Bamblett swooping like a chip on a seagull, Jock patrolling half forward & Magic loping up & down the ground.

Good days them!

^^^^^^
    This.

That was the best football team I've seen us put out onto the park. The backline with Tits at fulback and Foster at centrehalfback, Brian Cordy, Hardie, Ford, Kellet and Egan was watertight and maniacal. The centreline with Wallis in the guts, Hawkins on one wing and Daniels or Neil Cordy on the other was out and out brilliant. The forward line with Beasley at full forward, Jimmy Sewell at cetrehalfforward with Edmond, BAMBLETT!!!, Steve MacPherson, Buhagiar racked up big scores. Purser in the ruck, Maylin or McLean ruckroving and Royal roving gave us great drive.

It was just a terrific rounded team.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    ^^^^^^
    This.

That was the best football team I've seen us put out onto the park. The backline with Tits at fulback and Foster at centrehalfback, Brian Cordy, Hardie, Ford, Kellet and Egan was watertight and maniacal. The centreline with Wallis in the guts, Hawkins on one wing and Daniels or Neil Cordy on the other was out and out brilliant. The forward line with Beasley at full forward, Jimmy Sewell at cetrehalfforward with Edmond, BAMBLETT!!!, Steve MacPherson, Buhagiar racked up big scores. Purser in the ruck, Maylin or McLean ruckroving and Royal roving gave us great drive.

It was just a terrific rounded team.
    Almost brings a tear to the eye just thinking about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Almost brings a tear to the eye just thinking about it.

Remember that first 15 minutes of the third quarter against Essendon at Western Oval? Our blokes were dobbing goals trough from all over the ground. We went from 9 points in front at halftime to 45 points in the blink of an eye. Lally Bamblett kicked 4 that day.

Another game that sticks in my mind was against Collingwood at Victoria Park. Just after half time Brian Taylor was having a set shot and kicked into the man on the mark. I can still remember Tim Lane's commentary on The Winners went something like "Cordy scoops it up and handballs to Wallis, to Hawkins, he kicks long to Edmond-this is how it should be done-to Beeeassssley, GOAL!!!!.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Remember that first 15 minutes of the third quarter against Essendon at Western Oval? Our blokes were dobbing goals trough from all over the ground. We went from 9 points in front at halftime to 45 points in the blink of an eye. Lally Bamblett kicked 4 that day.

Another game that sticks in my mind was against Collingwood at Victoria Park. Just after half time Brian Taylor was having a set shot and kicked into the man on the mark. I can still remember Tim Lane's commentary on The Winners went something like "Cordy scoops it up and handballs to Wallis, to Hawkins, he kicks long to Edmond-this is how it should be done-to Beeeassssley, GOAL!!!!.
    I knew Essendon were gone when Glen Hawker ran around in the backline like a headless chook with the ball as we'd closed down all options & he got pinged for running too far. Loved Chocco's goal out of the centre on his left foot from about 60 out on the run.

Post Thanks / Like

what about the Hawthorn game at WO round 21 I think it was. A win would secure a top 3 spot and finals for the first time since 1976.

Dogs 5 - 13 - 43
    Hawks 5 - 8 - 38

What a battle. Hawks off to a flyer with the first 4 goals then the Dogs slowly claw back. So many highlights, Hawkins goal against the wind, McPherson's long goal in the last to put us in front, Foster thrashing Brereton, Hardie everywhere.........

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah it's 85 for me too loved the train ride home exellent memories. My favorite game though was the final against Nth after the debacle of the week before it was all character never neen so proud of my club as I was that day!!!
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning