Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Your best footy year ever

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    what about the Hawthorn game at WO round 21 I think it was. A win would secure a top 3 spot and finals for the first time since 1976.

Dogs 5 - 13 - 43
    Hawks 5 - 8 - 38

What a battle. Hawks off to a flyer with the first 4 goals then the Dogs slowly claw back. So many highlights, Hawkins goal against the wind, McPherson's long goal in the last to put us in front, Foster thrashing Brereton, Hardie everywhere.........
    Remember the celebrations after the game, it was like we had won the GF. Yeah 1985 for me too, especially after we had, had such a long drought from playing finals. Loved every game and I cherish my video replays from that year.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

what about the Hawthorn game at WO round 21 I think it was. A win would secure a top 3 spot and finals for the first time since 1976.

Dogs 5 - 13 - 43
    Hawks 5 - 8 - 38

What a battle. Hawks off to a flyer with the first 4 goals then the Dogs slowly claw back. So many highlights, Hawkins goal against the wind, McPherson's long goal in the last to put us in front, Foster thrashing Brereton, Hardie everywhere.........
    'The Shark' Phil Maylin was terrific in that match. It was a classic hard-fought Western Oval slog between two excellent, skilled and tough teams.

I actually have the fondest memories of 1992 (probably being a 21yo Uni student going to parties and getting smashed every week might have had something to do with it ). The wounds of 1989 were still fresh but in the ensuing couple of years Terry Wheeler brought some belief back to the team, and by the start of 1992 he has assembled a highly competitive group that was ready to take the next step. The forward line triumvirate of young thoroughbred (Chris Grant), experienced stalwart (Galaxy Glenn Coleman) and unlikely hero (Danny Del Re) was too much for most teams to combat that season. To finish equal top of the ladder, after ceasing to exist as a team for 3 horrible days less than 2 years earlier, was a monumental achievement. Unfortunately Geelong had our measure all season and proceeded to kick our ass in the QF and PF. But early in the QF we were absolutely on fire and were leading the Cats by 5 goals halfway through the 2nd qtr - that first 45 minutes was some of the most breathtaking football I've see us play, led by the unlikely duo of Justin Charles in the ruck and Danny Del Re up forward (who ended up with 8 goals for the match). Unfortunately Gary Ablett Snr decided to step in and change the course of the match with one of the best individual goals I've ever seen - he was near the boundary on the left forward flank and effortlessly roosted a massive 65m drop punt on the run with his left foot.

There were some great highlights in 1992 - we kept the eventual premiers, West Coke, goalless to 3/4 time at the Kennel in Round 21. We beat the Saints 3 times during the season, the best of which was at their Moorabbin fortress when we were the first team to knock them off on their home patch for 2 years, doing it without 6 first-choice players who were injured the week before against Adelaide - Billy Kolyniuk and Del Re were sensational that day, as was Matty Mansfield running out of defence. Then when we were rank outsiders against the all-conquering Saints in the knockout SF at Waverley (who had just knocked off Collingwood in the EF the week prior). They had all the stars - Lockett, Loewe, Winmar, Frawley, Harvey, Burke - but we proceeded to dismantle them clinically and with precision, to the point where we had already shut up shop by 3/4 time and were 11 goals in front (Saints kicked 8 junk time goals in the last qtr to flatter the scoreboard). Chris Grant announced himself as the emerging superstar forward of the competition that day, kicking a match-winning bag of 5 goals as a 19yo in a cut-throat final, and Keenan Reynolds did a sensational blanketing job on the red-hot Stewy Loewe. Even Michael Frost got into the action by doing a 'Gary Ablett' out of the ruck stoppage and snagging a brilliant goal. Simon Atkins was massive all season for us, continually extracting the ball out of the stoppages and provided us with first use. Darren Baxter had a breakout season in the middle, and wily old veterans Dougy and Choco were able to make significant contributions all season for us up forward. And Scott Wynd was impassable all season as the brick wall setting up camp a kick behind the play.

Another favourite match in 1992 was against Fitzroy at Princes Park. It was tight and tough in the first half and then we unleashed a sublime burst of 11 goals to 0 in the 3rd qtr to completely destroy what was a pretty good Lions team - I think I still have this match taped on VHS somewhere at home. Was also Kretiuk's first ever match for us, he was wearing No.46 from memory.

The season started off in exciting fashion when Wheels made our players parachute off a plane in the pre-season, and whilst we weren't quite good enough to make the GF (we never are ), we still had a great finish to the season with Scott Wynd taking out the Brownlow, and Simon Atkins going on a bender after the PF that lasted 3 days and ended up with his clothes all strewn over the nature strip courtesy of his pissed-off girlfriend at the time - I still vividly remember the story on the news bulletin with Axe simply shrugging his shoulders and going back to the pub where his teammates still were

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Another favourite match in 1992 was against Fitzroy at Princes Park. It was tight and tough in the first half and then we unleashed a sublime burst of 11 goals to 0 in the 3rd qtr to completely destroy what was a pretty good Lions team - I think I still have this match taped on VHS somewhere at home. Was also Kretiuk's first ever match for us, he was wearing No.46 from memory.

Danny Delre ripped Alistair Lynch to pieces in that quarter. I reckon he would have got 4 or 5 on him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    I knew Essendon were gone when Glen Hawker ran around in the backline like a headless chook with the ball as we'd closed down all options & he got pinged for running too far. Loved Chocco's goal out of the centre on his left foot from about 60 out on the run.

Choco's goal was a pearler, wasnt it?

Dogs 5 - 13 - 43
    Hawks 5 - 8 - 38

I remember that day. Apart from Super's goal I remember a battle for the ball on the members wing deep in time on. Hawthorn had to win the ball-it was their last chance to score. Terry Wallace threw himslef into the contest and somehow managed to get his hands on the ball, got pushed in the back and heard the umpire's whistle. He looked up, saw the umpire call for the ball to bounce it and just buried his head in the mud. I dont think I've ever seen a bloke want the ball so much
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Im too young to remember 85.

For me it has to be 1997 even considering the way it ended. I loved going to Princess park and watching us play. It seemed every home game that year there would be a quarter we'd slam on 10 goals and put the opposition away.

Also 2008-09 was pretty exciting as you went to most games thinking we'd have a chance to win.

If only I was old enough for 85. I remember having an old VHS tape which was the season review and Mick Malthouse would give a 5 min review of each game.

Post Thanks / Like

The 1985 game v Hawks .my most memorable goal ever was the Hawkins goal at Geelong Rd end , he won the ball and hndballed to Maylin(?) received it back and kicked into the wind a graet goal, I think this was the only goal at that end . In context of the seaon it won us the double chance. I think I have it on tape and will check

1985 for me ,Bamblett , Racoon Williams , Hardie , Beasers 100 goals

also great wins in Rd 1 v Carlton with Hardie and the big win v Ess at WO, Royals goal out of the centre

amd 1997

and next year

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a bit younger than most here, I was -3 years old in 1985, and while I remeber 1997 I was based in Tassie at the time and hadn't reached the point where watching a whole game was entertaining.

For me the years that were the best were 2006 and 2008.

2006 was the year we started to emerge as the side we were to be for the next few years (excluding 2007 which was an abberation). We were competitive, we were exciting, we had a unique gameplan and we played finals (including what is probably the most enjoyable game of my life to date).

2008 was similiar, we immeidately exceed my expectations, were always in a position to win games and had some really exciting players and quarters. To finish top 4 after our previous season was pretty awesome, however the final against Hawthorn took the gloss off it a bit.

One thing I have discovered though is that I am excited about next year because we will be underdogs. This sounds bad for all that "winning culture" stuff, but I find footy easier to enjoy when we go in as not the clear favourites. When we do and it's against bad sides, I feel unsatisfied unless we win convincingly. I also feel a sense of dread when we play the good sides like Geelong and Collingwood. For example last year in the win against Melbourne in the wet at the MCG I didn't enjoy as much as I should have because they were Melbourne and we shouldn't have been in the position we were anyway. It's why the last part of 2005 was so enjoyable, as were 2006 and 2008. We exceeded expectations.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

1985 was brilliant but watching the prelim final back again reminds me that;
    1. The match wasn't as great as I remember bar a couple of fantastic passges of play
    2. We really should have won the match if not for some undisciplined acts from Rick
    Kennedy and a couple of others.

1997 was obviously the one that got away but to go to matches each week and expecting to win was a wlecome change to the previous year when we were pitiful. What a transformation led by Wallace as the new coach.

2006 as Soupaman mentioned was breath-taking and laid the foundation for enormous hope for the following seasons. That vision of Collingwood fans streaming out of the ground midway through the last quarter of the final will stay with me forever.

2009 was our best chance since 1997. A great year culminating in a heart-breaking loss to the saints on the back of some very dodgy umpiring. I recall feeling so proud of our blokes leaving the ground yet so shattered that we had lost a game we had been so close to winning.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    I recall feeling so proud of our blokes leaving the ground yet so shattered that we had lost a game we had been so close to winning.

Sadly I'm now all to used to that feeling. It's almost second nature.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Sadly I'm now all to used to that feeling. It's almost second nature.
    I go to those games expecting to feel like that afterwards.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    I go to those games expecting to feel like that afterwards.
    Im back at the stage when we beat a top side during the home and away, its like winning a final.

Post Thanks / Like

Another youngster and 2006 for me as well, exciting youngsters, still had the old blokes going around and seeing some success. That final against Collingwood was my favourite AFL day, still remember the outrage at Monty being picked off, revenge was sweet.

Post Thanks / Like

I was still a twinkle in my dad's eye in '85, but have vivid memories af '92 and '97.

For me '92 was more about the crowd, I was only 5, but I remember getting to the Western Oval at 11am on a Saturday and sitting in our usual spot with the same old-timers. Watching the two's and then waiting for the ones. My older sister and I used to roam the crowd picking up cans and taking them to the can-man for loose change. The crowd was electric, you could feel everybody getting into the game and you always knew when something special was happening. Was also great to run on the ground after a match and slap the players on the back, get covered in mud.

'97 was one of the first years I really got into the football. I was old enough by then to understand the game better. Again we would get to Princes Park at 11 and sit with the same group of people, next to the race. Was such a great year. I remember them introducing the "Doggie Doggie Doggie" chant and how it was so stupid but we started it anyway, I'm fairly sure that was the day when we kicked 8 goals against Port Adelaide in the first quarter and then somehow lost it from there. Most of the memories are good though. IIRC we belted Hawthorn at one stage, which is always nice. Most of my memories revolve around the race (there was a stupid security guard who would shout "no hands" even though the players were all trying to get high fives) and then running around the back to worm our way into the rooms. They were the good old days, you'd just wander through the rooms, collecting autographs, the players would roam around with just a towel (more often then not there was no towel). And if we lost you just sprinted onto the turf and pretended to be Chris Grant. It's slightly disturbing but the smell of a footy ground/change rooms - mud, beer, deep heat, sweat - makes me so nostalgic for those days.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnite View Post
    It's slightly disturbing but the smell of a footy ground/change rooms - mud, beer, deep heat, sweat - makes me so nostalgic for those days.

It's the same for me. The smell of deepheat used to mean that footy was back!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to the attic to dig out the old video's now.