Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Your best footy year ever

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    I'm going to the attic to dig out the old video's now.

Have you got many '85 games Doc?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I've got a DVD of Malthouse going through the whole season (Thanks to Bulldog Revolution)
    Some great games.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

wouldn't be many but not sure until I open some old boxes

have a feeling a few may have not have survived the last move of house.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Im too young to remember 85.

For me it has to be 1997 even considering the way it ended. I loved going to Princess park and watching us play. It seemed every home game that year there would be a quarter we'd slam on 10 goals and put the opposition away.

Also 2008-09 was pretty exciting as you went to most games thinking we'd have a chance to win.

If only I was old enough for 85. I remember having an old VHS tape which was the season review and Mick Malthouse would give a 5 min review of each game.
    One game at Optus Oval that sticks out for me was the game against Hawthorn. Plough put up posters in the rooms of all the journos who picked us to get belted that day.

We ended up winning well.

My dad bought me a flag together with a membership that year. Boy did it get a workout. It really was fun to go to the footy that year

Post Thanks / Like

had to find out so when I opened up the first box I found a Howard Jones video and I thought 'this can't be good'! How did that make it?

Anyhow, I found the Semi v North and the Hawks game round 21. Thank God.

Found some other classics from the 90's, the semi final win v St Kilda in 92 and the Geelong match from 97 when we went top.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    had to find out so when I opened up the first box I found a Howard Jones video and I thought 'this can't be good'! How did that make it?

Anyhow, I found the Semi v North and the Hawks game round 21. Thank God.

Found some other classics from the 90's, the semi final win v St Kilda in 92 and the Geelong match from 97 when we went top.
    Michael Frost kicked a goal from a boundary throw in, did he not?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    Another youngster and 2006 for me as well, exciting youngsters, still had the old blokes going around and seeing some success. That final against Collingwood was my favourite AFL day, still remember the outrage at Monty being picked off, revenge was sweet.
    Same as me, really. We weren't as good in '06 as we were in '08-'10, but we played some of the most entertaining footy.

The two games against Geelong in '06 are the two best games from a pure football perspective that I've ever seen; were just beautiful to watch. Also, the first game against Richmond was the first time that I saw us (live) seriously mess up another team. And obviously the final against Collingwood was incredibly special.

The tail end of '05 was pretty great too, the Eagles game where Granty kicked 6 and Brian Harris just put enough resistance on Daniel Chick to stop him running into an open goal before half time is another one of my favourites.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

1997 was a brilliant year, could have been one of the most incredible premierships in the history of the game to finish 2nd last to the final season Fitzroy,

2009 was a good year and it felt on prelim night that we had peaked just in time, alas not to be

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not old enough to remember 1985, but for me 1997 was the one year I've followed the Bulldogs that I genuinely believed we could win the flag. I remember at 3/4 time my Dad talking with his mates about how they would arrange Grand Final tickets, and we started talking about how we matched up well against St Kilda and felt we'd beat them easily. I still feel sick thinking about it. I've never felt we could win the flag since then, that was the one year I felt we could beat the best teams. As much as Wallace is a pariah on here, he's the only Bulldogs coach we've had in my lifetime who I truly believed could deliver us a premiership.

Post Thanks / Like

Do we have any older Woofers, who remember '54 ?
    Bit before most of our time but I was sure we had a couple of older posters who seen the flag.
    '80 was the first year I really got into the footy and fond memories of KT's year and Brownlow.
    Would love to say 97 backed up by 98, but I still treat 97 as an apparition.
    There fore for me it's 1985, would be the first time I went to a final, the quality players we had, Pieman's 100 and actually thought we could and would win the flag.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    Bit before most of our time but I was sure we had a couple of older posters who seen the flag.
    I don't remember '54 as I was only 3 at that time but do remember bits and pieces of the '61 season when we came runner up. I used to go with my dad each week and can still visualize the Teddy Whitten led flick pass being used by our team to beat more fancied opponents.

Looking back a number of my footy heroes were from the early 60's.

Getting to the Grand Final was great and we arrived very early that day to watch the under 19's and Reserves Grand Finals too. Although we were in front at half time Hawthorn steam rolled us in the end.

Sadly for the doggies the flick pass was banned within the next few years too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    '80 was the first year I really got into the footy and fond memories of KT's year and Brownlow.
    Would love to say 97 backed up by 98, but I still treat 97 as an apparition.
    There fore for me it's 1985, would be the first time I went to a final, the quality players we had, Pieman's 100 and actually thought we could and would win the flag.
    I went to the Second Semi in '54 but my parents left me home for the grand final because I was too young - 5.

Also went in '61 and sat there without breathing for the whole game. Thorogood from Melbourne got Whitten the week before and he was only half fit. Hawthorn ran through Schultz and Hobbs in the first quarter and that was that.

A team of few skills but enormous drive did a fantastic job to get near the grand final and the Preliminary final victory over Melbourne, who had won five of the previous six premierships remains as the best win I have seen by the Club.