Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Dogs head back to school

By Jennifer Witham
    1:31 PM Mon 07 Nov, 2011

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsartic...3/default.aspx

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dogs head back to school

Interesting that he mentioned decision-making.

I posted on a separate thread (on Mitch Wallis) that Geelong's superior decision making was what truly set it apart above any physical prowess. Speed and "correctness" of thought, is a real standout feature in their game, compared to our more 'principle-based' ball movement (ie. play on at all costs, move the ball diagonally, kick it down the line, bomb it to x etc. etc.), so anything that Macca can bring over from the Cats in this area will be good.

Players who make good decisions (and we don't have a whole lot of them in our mid-tier group) and are adaptable in real-time to in-game situations are worth their weight in gold. That was certainly a major difference evident in Essendon players in 2011 (ie. how they tended to make very few mistakes and generally looked 'correct', even when they were getting beaten by more experienced sides).

Post Thanks / Like

I liked this bit.

'breaking the game down "bit by bit" to show the players how everything they did on the field affected the team'

But didn't like this bit.

'but said former Blue Setanta O'hAilpin could "possibly" offer their side something'
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Impressive sounding article. Plenty of really good quotes.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Well, that ices the Fevola thread once and for all.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

He sounds like the perfect man for the job, based on what he plans to implement. He's identified our weaknesses well, which is something the previous coaching group weren't great at doing in 10/11.

If he can implement what he did at Geelong (and Essendon), we'll be a better side - particularly in futue years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    I liked this bit.

'breaking the game down "bit by bit" to show the players how everything they did on the field affected the team'

But didn't like this bit.

'but said former Blue Setanta O'hAilpin could "possibly" offer their side something'

Off topic slightly, but can you say why? Don't disagree, but interested in your view
    I'm looking forward to a new take on how our structures work from BMac
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Off topic slightly, but can you say why?
    Who's our second ruck?
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    [/B]

Off topic slightly, but can you say why? Don't disagree, but interested in your view
    I'm looking forward to a new take on how our structures work from BMac
    Because he's just going to get in the way of developing our younger players, as we are not going to be vying for the flag next year this should be our number 1 goal next year. Roughead, Panos, Cordy, Jones, Grant, Markovic etc are not going to benefit having him on our list IMO.

Setanta is a stop gap(a 29 year old one) and not a very good one at that. I am over taking hacks from other clubs when we should be taking more kids.

What role and position do you see he filling for us?
    Last edited by chef; 08-11-2011 at 08:04 AM.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sentanta; what is our set up this year?

If our forward six consists of a mix of Jones/Grant/Panos/Dalhaus/Sherman/Gia/Cooney and a resting Roughy for a solid 70-80% of the game, do we need Setanta there? I'd say no.

If we have Minno at no 1 ruck and Roughy as the pinch hitting no 2 (in preference against Markovic/Williams doing it), Cordy in the wings? I'd rather rookie a state leager as back-up who has had a couple of years of senior football.

In defence? We're already trying to work out how to fit Lake, Williams & Markovic in as it is, assuming Morris plays as a mid or small defender.

I'm not fully convinced we need him to be honest.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Setanta
    Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I'm not fully convinced we need him to be honest.
    Agreed.
    I don't buy the stop gap measure either. I don't think we are challenging next year so I don't understand why we would need stop gaps, rather get games into kids.

Post Thanks / Like

The only reason you would want someone like that would be to protect the kids to avoid a Melbourne type list.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    The only reason you would want someone like that would be to protect the kids to avoid a Melbourne type list.
    Unlike Melbourne we only delisted 1 player and didn't force anyone to retire(expect Hudson). We are way off a Melbourne senario.

Post Thanks / Like

There is just so much rhetoric at this time of the year isn't there?

I don't really have a problem with it and I understand that it is a necessary marketing ploy to generate excitement amongst supporter groups to increase membership, but everyone is talking everyone and everything up.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.