Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New Western Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney plays it tough from the start

NEW Western Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney has subjected his players to a brutal first week of training, determined to return them to the snarling competitive beasts of previous seasons.

McCartney told his team to bring their mouthguards on Friday for a tackling and contested-ball drill, putting his stamp on a side that struggled in close last year.

Dogs players have noted the physicality of training, with McCartney keen to play an uncompromising hard ball-winning style.

Through a combination of reasons the Dogs lost their edge last year, and McCartney is keen to see them return to playing contested football.

Forward Jarrad Grant said the players had been left in no doubt about McCartney's desire for a tough game plan.

"We started Monday and it was a really solid week," he said. "We have been thrown the footies a lot earlier than usual and there is a lot more competitive stuff, which has been the big focus for Macca.

"We were good (in that area) in 2008 and 2009 and we have dropped off in the last couple of years ... there is no reason we can't get it back."

Bulldogs football manager James Fantasia said the pillars of McCartney's game plan were clear.

"What he has done is incorporating our learning straight into competitive situations, so last week was quite unique for our blokes. There aren't too many pre-seasons where you come back and put your mouthguards in straight away.

"It's part of the way he is rolling out our learning about the way we will be playing."

The Dogs are confident all their injured players will be in full training by Christmas, including Adam Cooney (knee), Brian Lake (knee), Tom Williams (foot) and Dale Morris (leg). Williams had surgery on a navicular fracture late in the season and will be eased back.

"He's going well," Fantasia said. "He did the injury with about three weeks (left in 2011) and had started his rehab before the boys left (for the break), so he has been in rehab for while."

LINK

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Western Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney plays it tough from the start

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    "What he has done is incorporating our learning straight into competitive situations, so last week was quite unique for our blokes. There aren't too many pre-seasons where you come back and put your mouthguards in straight away.

"It's part of the way he is rolling out our learning about the way we will be playing."
    Early days, but I like what I'm reading about our new coach.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

B Mac is making a statement, liking what I am hearing from the kennel.
    Interesting that Grant was quoted, if he can bring an intensity to his game, we may yet see the best of him.

Post Thanks / Like

Tough Footy wins Flags
    Good stuff

Post Thanks / Like

Tough contested footy and working for the team our new modus. Will be fascinating seeing how various individuals respond.
    WesternOval'61

Post Thanks / Like

They are simple but effective messages that 'should' be easy for the players to follow

Win the hard contested ball, work hard to create an option once the ball is won, and use your superior skills to work the ball up the ground

Am really looking forward to 2012 under Macca

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the banker View Post
    Tough contested footy and working for the team our new modus. Will be fascinating seeing how various individuals respond.
    Was thinking the exact same thing. Some players might be in for a shock!!
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    Was thinking the exact same thing. Some players might be in for a shock!!
    Which players did you have in mind, God of the Dogs?
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Which players did you have in mind, God of the Dogs?
    Haha, well Ghostdog, i would be saying Higgins for one, and maybe a few that like to play the "ME" role instead of the "team" role...and i mean players like Grant, Gia, Boyd, Lake and more.

Interesting times ahead.

Post Thanks / Like

Haha, well Ghostdog, i would be saying Higgins for one, and maybe a few that like to play the "ME" role instead of the "team" role...and i mean players like Grant, Gia, Boyd, Lake and more.

Interesting times ahead.
    Disagree with the Boyd call. He does more than his fair share of "grunt" work in and around the contests.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Disagree with the Boyd call. He does more than his fair share of "grunt" work in and around the contests.
    I agree, but in terms of TEAM player he is not that accountable which I'm hoping Macca can get back into his game. These games of 30+ possessions with his direct opponent getting 30+ possessions needs to stop.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting times ahead.
    Good call! Have to agree with you there. Basically anyone who doesn't run hard the other way, or points their finger at others to do the chasing...crack the whip BMac!
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

All of this is great stuff, but does anyone really think that the messages last pre-season - when we were amongst the favorites for the flag (a very TEAM oriented goal) - were all about doing your own thing and let your opponents run riot?

It is all good that the noises are what we want to hear - but I would suggest the words inside every single club right now are all 'win the contest' and 'reacting as a team to opposition cues/transition'. It actually really doesn't matter what players GD was speaking about...if we are truly about team then they all need to be on board and we wont find that out till we are 4-goals down half-way through the second quarter in round 1 2012.

Again, all of the words are awesome and I am happy to hear them, but no-one is going to know if the players are buying for a while yet.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    All of this is great stuff, but does anyone really think that the messages last pre-season - when we were amongst the favorites for the flag (a very TEAM oriented goal) - were all about doing your own thing and let your opponents run riot?

It is all good that the noises are what we want to hear - but I would suggest the words inside every single club right now are all 'win the contest' and 'reacting as a team to opposition cues/transition'. It actually really doesn't matter what players GD was speaking about...if we are truly about team then they all need to be on board and we wont find that out till we are 4-goals down half-way through the second quarter in round 1 2012.

Again, all of the words are awesome and I am happy to hear them, but no-one is going to know if the players are buying for a while yet.
    Very well said...
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]