Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

New-look Dogs get to work

New-look Dogs get to work
    WHEN the Western Bulldogs began their pre-season campaign last week, coach Brendan McCartney had to resist the temptation to set up the witches hats, long the habit of an assistant coach more than a decade in the AFL system.

Now comes the task of shaping a training program in his own image. And for the new Bulldog mentor, that's about creating an environment not all that different to the more traditional workplace.

''Is day-to-day life at an AFL club different to most workplaces? It's not,'' he said yesterday. ''It gets scrutinised more, but in the end everyone who goes to work wants to have a clear understanding of what their job is.
    Advertisement: Story continues below

''They want to know that there's an opportunity to grow and develop in their job. They want to know their work is valued, they want the opportunity to be taught, then when they are taught something and learn and grasp it, that they get the chance to put it into practice. And if it's not at a satisfactory level, they want to know they can get the help and the solution to get it up to that level.''

McCartney, acknowledged as one of the best teaching coaches, has already suggested his playing list will be doing plenty of work in the classroom. Which perhaps places an even higher priority on his patch being a happy workplace.

''You want it professional, but you want it relaxed,'' he said. ''What does that look like? It's people doing their job well, people having conversations, but also having a laugh and sharing a joke and enjoying it.

''I think in time what happens is that you get a sense of perspective. When you have a good win, generally everyone shares in it, but I think it's just as important that if you have a bad day and get beaten, that everyone accepts responsibility as a group for that, too. I think then you've got a really good, vibrant, harmonious workplace.

''I've seen both ends. I've been part of workplaces where we weren't as functional as we should have been … but I've also been really blessed to be in other workplaces where there was camaraderie and understanding and genuine empathy, and we shared a vision.

''That didn't always mean we won premierships or games, but those basics were there. If you do it well enough for long enough and with enough good people, eventually you get to be pretty good at things.''

With Brett Montgomery the only Bulldog assistant remaining from 2011, there's a whole coaching group feeling its way. But McCartney is happy with the progress. ''They've been terrific. They have a really clear enjoyment of teaching people and helping them get better.''
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New-look Dogs get to work

Some good quotes there I always enjoyed hearing the different advice rocket would give players, quotes and so forth. Looking forward to more interviews with Mr McCartney. top trainers are damned interesting to listen to and you can apply some of their own ideas in whatever field you are in.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I know it's early days and the proof is in the pudding, but gee, I'm liking the things I'm reading about BMac!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Griffen View Post
    I know it's early days and the proof is in the pudding, but gee, I'm liking the things I'm reading about BMac!
    This time of year everything is always positive with a new coach, lets hope it just as positive at the same time next season.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

How positive do we want it to be? The value of the Callan Ward Compensation (Renewable Annually) Pick -- hereafter known as Callan's C.R.A.P. -- is determined by our ladder position.

I want our team to be incredibly competitive from next year onwards, and I've always deplored any suggestion of losing or tanking for draft position, but I wouldn't be terribly upset if we finished in the lower reaches of the 8.

Having said that, if last year turns out to be a total blip on the radar and we make the top 4 again, Callan's C.R.A.P. will just be a bonus to top up the list.