Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leadership group announced

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    It's a said sign of where our list is at when the entire leadership group is made up of 'old timers'.
    Which young blokes do you think should have been included?
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Will be interesting to see how Gia goes under BMAC...hope to see more chase and less finger pointing this season!

Griff is best left to do what he does best IMO. If he's happy not to be in it then I'm happy.
    Gee, I must have missed Gia's finger pointing this year - all I recall is Higgins directing traffic and not doing much himself?

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone in the media has made a fuss about Cooney and Griffen not being in the leadership group, but what about Shaun Higgins?

Was good enough previously but now isn't, obviously not playing much sways the decision but i'm surprised no one has even mentioned it.

In regards to the lack of young leaders, i think that is more just Macca'a plan. He wants people to earn that recognition under him. I believe he intends to add more players to the leadership group later on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Not sure why you mention Gia. He is one of the hardest trainers at the dogs and a real leader.
    Attitude on the training track is one aspect of leadership for sure.
    here's my script for Gia / Boyd / Cross 2012. As their individual performances lifts under a new coach, more defensive efforts and better accuracy by foot, will begin to show the kids how it's done on the field, not just training track.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Macca wants both and believes in off field leadership in a big way, also looks like he doesnt suffer fools, wants respectful people when they are at the club or away from it.
    Big on family and dedication in everything.
    It seems he's trying to build another Sydney Swans in terms of off-field ethos.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Which young blokes do you think should have been included?
    None..... And there entails the problem.

But a couple of mid agers in Griffen & Picken should have been seriously considered.

Post Thanks / Like

But a couple of mid agers in Griffen & Picken should have been seriously considered.
    Good point Mantis. Liam Picken inspires...why would he not be in the leadership group?
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Both Griffen and Picken are very quiet and shy types.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Hasn;t Griffen previous said he just wants to concentrate on his football?

In any case, you don't need to be in a group to display leadership qualities.
    Technically by virtue of being in a position of authority, the club captain displays command, not leadership
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Agree, and not all quality players should be in the leadership group.
    Leadership is more than being able to read the play and give 100%.
    Leadership group or not they are both leaders in their own right at the club.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    I'll differ from the crowd and say I'm happy to only have the more senior players in it. Might be old fashioned, I say let 'em earn their stripes first.
    I agree. Cooney, Higgins, Griffen & Picken could all have been considered, but setting the benchmark high is a good thing IMO.
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

The lack of mid aged players is an issue, as that is where the next captain should come from.

Unfortunately Cooney is not the type of character being more likely the stand up comedian than the leader. Griffen and Picken have been mentioned, but are more introverted and unlikely to command in the way a captain needs to. Higgins is a longer term possibility, but has ongoing issues that I believe are injury related and just needs to get a year or two of consistent football on the park.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured