Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2006 draft

Post Thanks / Like

2006 draft

I just wanted to know everybody's thoughts on the players that we picked up in last years National Draft. Do you think we went for the right types of players, eg; josh hill?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2006 draft

Quote Originally Posted by sonofthewest View Post
    I just wanted to know everybody's thoughts on the players that we picked up in last years National Draft. Do you think we went for the right types of players, eg; josh hill?

After Everitt we went for quick athletic types in Stack, Hill and Lynch and then followed it up with selection of a developing athletic tall in O'Shea. The rookie draft also had Hughes, Harbrow and Pask.

Overall I think we were too focused on pace and would have preferred one more additional tall but time will tell if unearthed a couple of start players from the 2006 crop.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Initially I did question why we went for pace.. Overall though having seen Everitt,Lynch & Hill in action I am satisfied with the choices.
    Like GVGJr though one more tall especially a ruck prospect would have in hindsight been a good thing.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still quite excited about what they could potentially offer us from next year onwards and look forward to watching them develop.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Initially I did question why we went for pace.. Overall though having seen Everitt,Lynch & Hill in action I am satisfied with the choices.
    Like GVGJr though one more tall especially a ruck prospect would have in hindsight been a good thing.
    Yep - a ruck prospect would have been nice but its encouraging how much VFL senior footy some of the lightly built guys were able to play

Everitt, Lynch and Harbrow have the raw ability to break games apart if they work hard to improve. Hill did enough to debut at senior level, Stack looks a star in the making to me, whilst OShea could be the diamond in the rough full back.

Post Thanks / Like

Can O'shea play as a full back? what is his preferred position?
    What type of player is brennan stack?

Post Thanks / Like

Can O'shea play as a full back? what is his preferred position?
    What type of player is brennan stack?

It's a bit hard to put O'Shea down as a FB at the moment but he does have a bit of size and physical play that could make him a monty for a position like that in the next few seasons.

Stack is a jumping jack and a nice mover. Needs to develop a defensive side to his game.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    Yep - a ruck prospect would have been nice but its encouraging how much VFL senior footy some of the lightly built guys were able to play
    Were there any decent ruck prospects last year outside of Luenberger? I really thought that most clubs went for best avaialble rather than needs last year and that the 2007 crop of ruckmen were regarded as being much better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Were there any decent ruck prospects last year outside of Luenberger? I really thought that most clubs went for best avaialble rather than needs last year and that the 2007 crop of ruckmen were regarded as being much better.
    Renouf, Tippett and Goldstein all went in the 2nd round and beyond from memory. They were picked up by Hawthorn, Adelaide and North respectively, clubs who all have already healthy ruck divisions. Good forward planning by these clubs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Renouf, Tippett and Goldstein all went in the 2nd round and beyond from memory. They were picked up by Hawthorn, Adelaide and North respectively, clubs who all have already healthy ruck divisions. Good forward planning by these clubs.
    Didn't Carlton take Hampson about pick 20, or was that the year before?

Post Thanks / Like

That was last year too Scooter, good pick up. Lots of rucks went early. My man Sam Jacobs was picked up early in the rookie draft too, where I had hoped we'd pick him up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It's a bit hard to put O'Shea down as a FB at the moment but he does have a bit of size and physical play that could make him a monty for a position like that in the next few seasons.

Stack is a jumping jack and a nice mover. Needs to develop a defensive side to his game.
    The thing to remember about O'Shea is he was the second youngest to be taken in the draft. Only Ben Reid was youngeer.

It was made very clear that his selection was a project pick. To be frank I'm impressed he made it into the Werribee Seniors as quickly as he did. I wouldn't have been all that dissapointed if he'd been in the Werribee 2's for most of the year.

Late pick, bottom aged, good KP prospect, bit of size and athleticism about him, who does that sound like?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    The thing to remember about O'Shea is he was the second youngest to be taken in the draft. Only Ben Reid was youngeer.

It was made very clear that his selection was a project pick. To be frank I'm impressed he made it into the Werribee Seniors as quickly as he did. I wouldn't have been all that dissapointed if he'd been in the Werribee 2's for most of the year.
    He did.

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Late pick, bottom aged, good KP prospect, bit of size and athleticism about him, who does that sound like?
    Wayde Skipper? Steven Tiller? Michael West?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    He did.

Wayde Skipper? Steven Tiller? Michael West?
    Did any of those lads play Werribee 1's in their first years? Making the bests in that team a few times? I think we should all be pretty happy with O'Shea's first season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by McMahon#23 View Post
    Did any of those lads play Werribee 1's in their first years? Making the bests in that team a few times? I think we should all be pretty happy with O'Shea's first season.
    Sorry, M23. I was being a smartarse. I reckon I know the bottom-aged, low draft pick to which you were referring.

O'Shea should be pretty happy with his first season. Not only did he crack a game in the firsts he made the best players as well.