Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Malthouse fails EJ 'Legend' test?

Always thought Malthouse was a wanker and this proves it

Link here

LATEST: 3AW commentator and AFL Premiership coach Mick Malthouse has taken to Twitter on Tuesday to pour cold water on the Western Bulldogs' assertion he 'attacked' the record of the legendary Ted Whitten.

After the club, via its own Twitter site, passed on messages of discontent coming from The Kennel, Malthouse responded with the tweet: "My association with EJ Whitten was 1st class. He was and always will be a legend of a bloke and of the game. No disrespect intended."

UPDATE: Western Bulldogs President David Smorgon has expressed his disappointment at Mick Malthouse after the new 3AW commentator seemed to lack knowldege of the career of AFL Legend Ted Whitten.

In a statement issued via the club's Twitter feed, Smorgon said: "I can't ever recall anyone attacking Ted Whitten's status as a legend of the game."

"Ted's record is exemplary and I am extremely disappointed that Mick, who coached the Bulldogs in the mid-eighties, has questioned the status of one of our game's greats."

EARLIER: The Western Bulldogs have taken a little bit of interest in ex-Collingwood - and Bulldogs! - coach Mick Malthouse's apparent lack of knowledge in relation to one of the AFL greats.

Did Mick fail his AFL Legends test or was this tongue in cheek?

3AW Football Director, Mark Kleiman, reckons Mick was being 'tongue-in-cheek'.
    Last edited by bornadog; 29-11-2011 at 01:58 PM.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Malthouse fails EJ 'Legend' test?

I think the AFL needs to come out and say something on this, Maybe Mick should be made to watch all his Vic games, ask his opponents, what a stupid man, finally mick, watch his last lap around the MCG now thats a legend of the game.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Um...what did he actually say?
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    No idea, would be nice if articles actually quoted what they are talking about but if Smorgon has come out in defence its not good.
    Or is it just another media story push like the Dimmattina one, i might have jumped the gun here.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    No idea, would be nice if articles actually quoted what they are talking about but if Smorgon has come out in defence its not good.
    Or is it just another media story push like the Dimmattina one, i might have jumped the gun here.
    Indicated that EJ failed the legends test.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Mick, you can't be serious

HOW quickly we forget. Was Mick Malthouse serious yesterday when he questioned the status of Ted Whitten as a footy legend?

Malthouse was making his first appearance in a weekly slot on Neil Mitchell's morning program on 3AW.
    Introducing him, Mitchell asked Malthouse if he was a legend of the game. "Oh, I doubt it," was the reply.

Malthouse proceeded to discuss legends of the game and made his comments about Whitten.

"I'm just wondering did he play enough games and did he play in a premiership?" he inquired about the man they called Mr Football.

Malthouse had prefaced that comment by saying he walked around the MCG and looked at the statues.

"I think they are legends," he said.

"There's (Ron) Barassi and Teddy Whitten ... I don't know if Teddy Whitten was a legend but certainly Barassi was."

Mitchell chipped in: "Ted could be a legend ... he always thought he was."

Malthouse then said: "I'm not sure. Teddy may well be a legend. Certainly Barassi was, Jock McHale, Leigh Matthews, Haydn Bunton and those sort of blokes and Kevin Bartlett should be."

After Mitchell said Whitten was a pretty handy player, Malthouse remembered Whitten might have been a premiership player ``in 1953''.

"Perhaps he should be a legend," he conceded.

Well, Mick, seeing as your memory isn't great, here are some facts about the great E.J. Whitten.

He was one of the 12 inaugural Legends of the game the Hall of Fame named in 1996, many would say probably the first nominated.

His citation says: "He could play in any position on the ground."

He held the games record at 321 until John Rantall broke it in 1979 and was selected at centre half-back in the AFL's Team of the Century.

At 21, in 1954, he played in Footscray's only premiership, winning the best-and-fairest that year and four other times. In 1961, he captain-coached a young Bulldogs team to the Grand Final after introducing the flick pass.

He represented Victoria 29 times and became synonymous with state football as chairman of selectors.

And his farewell appearance in front of a packed MCG before an interstate game remains one of football's most emotional moments.

Post Thanks / Like

Who cares what Mick thinks? I don't think he ever used the word ' fail' anyway, but was just being reserved about his choice. .

Ted had a televised state funeral!Top that!
    Enough said.
    Next article!
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Some of the quotes in the Herald Sun Sports confidential today.

'I don't know if teddy whitten was a legend but Barassi certainly was.'

'I'm just wondering did he play enough games and did he play in a premiership?'

Post Thanks / Like

Who cares what Mick thinks?
    The guy had a televised state funeral. Enough said.
    Next article!
    Well I care. He is on radio broadcasting crap and people listen to him.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll just repost what I wrote on the club's facebook...

"Wow! These arguments always crop up when you talk football. I.e., is Lou Richards a legend? Should Wayne Carey be inducted based on his personal problems? But the one guy I thought everyone agreed on was Teddy, the guy has been described as the best ever so many times it is laughable."

Was Mick serious.

Also why is it that if you played for Footscray your playing record is always questioned. "Scott West not a champion"-Mike Sheahan. Chris Grant was the second best player of his era (sometimes he was the best) but is never talked about. Brad Johnson's prime was as good if not better than James Hird's. But all we hear about are other clubs champions. Nobody questions Buckley, Robert Harvey, Gary Ablett or Tony Lockett. Why is it that our players are continually denigrated?

Post Thanks / Like

Playing well in grand finals...

Post Thanks / Like

"Whitten was regarded by his contemporaries in the 1950s and 1960s as the greatest naturally talented player of his era. "

AFL sporting Hall of fame.
    Now if Barrassi is a legend, and he says Whitten was, ( dubbed him Mr Football ) personally, I don't care what Mick says as it wasn't his era and he is obviously a bit sketchy on the history.

Post Thanks / Like

"Whitten was regarded by his contemporaries in the 1950s and 1960s as the greatest naturally talented player of his era. "

AFL sporting Hall of fame.
    Now if Barrassi is a legend, and he says Whitten was, ( dubbed him Mr Football ) personally, I don't care what Mick says as it wasn't his era and he is obviously a bit sketchy on the history.
    The issue is that these comments are disrespectful and an insult to the man who many, including me, are of the opinion that he was the finest footballer to have played the game.

And it went well beyond being naturally talented because as well as being that he was the toughest and meanest bloke to play the game.

As my mate Laurie Sandilands (who played alongside him) says, "He was absolutely ruthless."

Malthouse is setting himself up as a highly credentialled commentator on the game. In future I hope he researches his subject a lot better than this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I think the AFL needs to come out and say something on this, Maybe Mick should be made to watch all his Vic games, ask his opponents, what a stupid man, finally mick, watch his last lap around the MCG now thats a legend of the game.
    Was there that day, will forever be my favourite footy moment. I don't know if even winning a flag could top that day.

He was enough of a legend to make some of the hardest men in football cry like schoolgirls.

Post Thanks / Like

Was Mick Malthouse out of line when he questioned Ted Whitten's legend status?
    Yes
    65.18% (322 votes)
    No
    34.82% (172 votes)
    Total votes: 494
    So far, 172 Collingwood supporters have voted on the Herald Sun poll.