Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Week 2, 2007 finals series

Port have an appalling record against North and in finals generally*

I wouldnt call them over the line yet, although that performance by North last night looked like it was 'one last shot left in the locker' stuff.

*Almost as bad as my tipping has been this finals series!
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a question about the Collingwood V West Coast game, did anybody else think that the umpiring was very good? I was pretty impressed, they let the players play, no stupid deliberate out of bounds calls, no ticky touchwood chopping of the arms or hands in the backs, just the obvious decisions. They did let a few things go, but they were consistent- such as the not far enough call, they paid them whether they were in front of goal and in defence. I mean, I probably would have thought it was disgraceful if I was a biased West Coast fan, but as a neutral observer I hardly noticed the umpires, not many free's were paid...what did everyone else think?

The Hawks v Kanga's game was awful, the whole time I spent going on about the poor standard of umpiring, so many free kicks in front of goal where the defenders get destroyed by the umpires and the number of soft free kicks was incredible and seemed to be a bit lop sided as far as who they went to. I wasn't really going for either team, I was partial to Hawthorn (gone longer without a flag, my best friend goes for them etc.), but even still I wasn't that fussed in the end about who won...I just thought the number of free kicks North got in their forward line was a joke.

Post Thanks / Like

The WC/Collingwood game was very well umpired. They let the players know how the game was going to be umpired and then didnt change their methods until the final siren. You cant ask for any more than that.

I thought the Hawthorn players were fairly undisiplined last night and that led to most of the lopsided free kick count. The Croad/Edwards decision was fairly stupid but once the umpire has you in the gun that's what tends to happen-believe me I have considerable personal experience with this theory.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    The WC/Collingwood game was very well umpired. They let the players know how the game was going to be umpired and then didnt change their methods until the final siren. You cant ask for any more than that.

I thought the Hawthorn players were fairly undisiplined last night and that led to most of the lopsided free kick count. The Croad/Edwards decision was fairly stupid but once the umpire has you in the gun that's what tends to happen-believe me I have considerable personal experience with this theory.
    Yeah, I agree with that, I was getting annoyed at the number of cheap shots they did, such as Crawford, but I was more annoyed with the soft free kicks in front of goal, probably stems from the fact that my favourite position on the ground is defence, I mostly play there etc. but the defenders seem to get pinged for things that go unnoticed when the forwards do it.

What do you mean by 'has you in the gun'?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dales.girl38 View Post

Yeah, 2Dogs, as Pauline Hanson says: 'Please explain"!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dales.girl38 View Post

It means that the man in white/orange/green/yellow is paying you 'special attention' and maybe penalising you for things that others may get away with. It usually happens when a player has made a bad start with or done something to annoy the umpire.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    You think so?
    Just when it looked like WC were about to finish them, I thought the Pies got 2 of the softest free inside 50 when they were 22 down in the 3rd quarter and goals resulted.

I stopped watching after that but was told there were also obvious ones in the last 10 minutes that weren't paid.

Credit to the Pies but we don't get the frees they do.