Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Less is more for the Bulldogs

Sam Edmund - Herald Sun - 8 December

THE Western Bulldogs have vowed to continue fighting above their financial weight division, firm in the belief you don't have to spend big to win big.

The Dogs, who launch their membership campaign "The Western Front" today, have long been among the lowest-spending clubs when it comes to the football department, despite making consecutive preliminary finals from 2008-2010.

The Bulldogs outlaid $14.7 million this year, more than $4 million less than premier Geelong ($18.8 million).

Chief executive Simon Garlick said new coach Brendan McCartney and his team would receive a "reasonably significant" increase, but stressed the Bulldogs didn't believe in buying premierships.

"I think from a wider perspective we understand the importance of increasing that spend and giving our club and our players every opportunity, but we certainly don't subscribe to the theory that whoever spends the most wins," Garlick said yesterday.

Article in full...
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Less is more for the Bulldogs

What time is the movie at the sun?>
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to buy a premiership.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    What time is the movie at the sun?>
    11.30 this morning according to the website.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Agreed
    Carlton cheated, north bought in the 70s, wce had drug years, swans got a hand up from the afl yet no one cares as they won premierships and none were removed.

Same goes for game style. Who cares how 'attractive' we play it's about winning to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    Agreed
    Carlton cheated, north bought in the 70s, wce had drug years, swans got a hand up from the afl yet no one cares as they won premierships and none were removed.

Same goes for game style. Who cares how 'attractive' we play it's about winning to me.
    Nope. We may have to wait a hell of a lot longer, but it'll be a hell of a lot sweeter on the day. If you're going to win something, you win it through hard work, not easy shortcuts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Really???
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    Nope. We may have to wait a hell of a lot longer, but it'll be a hell of a lot sweeter on the day. If you're going to win something, you win it through hard work, not easy shortcuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Really???
    Yes really, I have been waiting a long time. I was born after 1954 and very few of us saw that one or even the 1961 attempt. I don't care how we get there (except cheating of course).

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    Agreed! You would rather do it the right way!
    Then you can tell all the others to stick it where the sun dont shine coz we didnt buy our premiership, we earnt it I would rather win 1 in my life time then 10 shortcut premierships!

would you rather sleep with 5 fat ugly women over a 30 year period? or 1 gorgeous women over a 30 year period! I know what I would pick

Peace

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DragzLS1 View Post
    Then you can tell all the others to stick it where the sun dont shine coz we didnt buy our premiership, we earnt it I would rather win 1 in my life time then 10 shortcut premierships!

would you rather sleep with 5 fat ugly women over a 30 year period? or 1 gorgeous women over a 30 year period! I know what I would pick

Peace
    After 30 years the ugly ones would be looking like gorgeous ones

Post Thanks / Like

Peace
    It terrify's me that some of our supporters have this view. I hope like hell no one associated with the club ever feels the same.

I just don't see the glory in wanting to be a battler. Personally I'd prefer to make a century with a couple of nicks through the slips and being bowled off a no-ball, than to make a gritty 30 that no one remembers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    Hehe. Nice oneā€¦

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    It terrify's me that some of our supporters have this view. I hope like hell no one associated with the club ever feels the same.

I just don't see the glory in wanting to be a battler. Personally I'd prefer to make a century with a couple of nicks through the slips and being bowled off a no-ball, than to make a gritty 30 that no one remembers.
    We don't want to be a battler. We just want to earn something fairly. It's called sport. It terrifies me that a lot of people feel that winning justifies itself no matter what. Simply not true.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    Lol very nice come back ill have to wait and see..

I dont have anything against us spending more on facilities ect.. but if we are going to put our club in a massive debt (alot bigger then what we are already in) then I would rather be a battler as you put it.. Flags dont bring money or members, just look at port and north for example.. We have not won a flag for a hell of a lot longer then all of them, but man the battle would be worth the wait.

I here what everybody is saying, and yes I would love to see a premiership sooner rather then later, but the fact of the matter is I will still support this club no matter what. Just dont think that winning at all costs is worth it in the long run. Would rather work our way up to it, rather then throw all this cash just to win 1 next year, when we can wait another 5 to build it up.

Post Thanks / Like

I dont have anything against us spending more on facilities ect.. but if we are going to put our club in a massive debt (alot bigger then what we are already in) then I would rather be a battler as you put it.. Flags dont bring money or members, just look at port and north for example.. We have not won a flag for a hell of a lot longer then all of them, but man the battle would be worth the wait.

I here what everybody is saying, and yes I would love to see a premiership sooner rather then later, but the fact of the matter is I will still support this club no matter what. Just dont think that winning at all costs is worth it in the long run. Would rather work our way up to it, rather then throw all this cash just to win 1 next year, when we can wait another 5 to build it up.
    Given our relatively small membership base and ongoing financial struggles, I cannot imagine us buying a flag in the foreseeable future. The challenge is to develop a club good enough to make grand finals rather than falling short as experienced in recent years. Compared to teams like Geelong and Collingwood our lack of depth has been a major factor. Whether the current list is good enough remains to be seen. The loss of proven players like Harbrow and Ward hasn't helped which perhaps highlights our vulnerability.

Post Thanks / Like

I dont have anything against us spending more on facilities ect.. but if we are going to put our club in a massive debt (alot bigger then what we are already in) then I would rather be a battler as you put it..
    No one said to put us at risk of not being viable, just said I would love to have a premiership and if we could buy one I will take that.